***Other Clubs Summer Transfer Thread 2023***

tartofmidlothian

1 hour ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

Dunfermline have offered David Wotherspoon a deal I see.  I think St Johnstone have been a bit hasty here, still only 33 and although he had injury problems last season he still has a lot to offer.  A player I have always admired.  There could be an argument that we need an older head with a lot of league experience as we have very little of that apart from Halliday, Clark and Gordon.  He could be worth offering a deal to.

0 out of 10. 👎

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Naisys Tackle

• Mikey1874

• kingantti1874

• Bazzas right boot

Dunfermline have offered David Wotherspoon a deal I see.  I think St Johnstone have been a bit hasty here, still only 33 and although he had injury problems last season he still has a lot to offer.  A player I have always admired.  There could be an argument that we need an older head with a lot of league experience as we have very little of that apart from Halliday, Clark and Gordon.  He could be worth offering a deal too.

Oh dear. I’m just going to laugh.

Edited by Topper

The Old Tolbooth

Dunfermline have offered David Wotherspoon a deal I see.  I think St Johnstone have been a bit hasty here, still only 33 and although he had injury problems last season he still has a lot to offer.  A player I have always admired.  There could be an argument that we need an older head with a lot of league experience as we have very little of that apart from Halliday, Clark and Gordon.  He could be worth offering a deal to.

Ffs :facepalm:

:rofl: 

GorgieFifeLife
1 hour ago, Dougie Masterton said:

Doesn’t even try to hide it. 

Not sure what you mean.  He is a better option than Halliday, Forrest or Grant that’s for sure.

GorgieFifeLife
12 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Ffs :facepalm:

:rofl: 

In the past we have brought in guys towards the end of their career with a lot of league experience and there is a role for this type of player.  

GorgieFifeLife
25 minutes ago, Topper said:

Oh dear. I’m just going to laugh.

Fair enough.  I think having more league experience can be important given the players we are bringing in from all corners of the globe.

The Old Tolbooth
24 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

In the past we have brought in guys towards the end of their career with a lot of league experience and there is a role for this type of player.  

Aye, maybe in the care home 11, he's utter pish! Even in his best days, he was pish! 

Unfortunately the reality is, no matter how hard for our supporters to accept, our two main league rivals, Aberdeen and Hibernian have been vastly superior to us in recent years when it comes to player trading. Indeed, arguably our most prized asset in the eyes of some people, is currently looking overweight and not ready for the new season. Safe to say we have work to do on improving things in terms of buying cheap and selling on for profit.

23 minutes ago, Cambo said:

Unfortunately the reality is, no matter how hard for our supporters to accept, our two main league rivals, Aberdeen and Hibernian have been vastly superior to us in recent years when it comes to player trading. Indeed, arguably our most prized asset in the eyes of some people, is currently looking overweight and not ready for the new season. Safe to say we have work to do on improving things in terms of buying cheap and selling on for profit.

It pains me to say, albeit through gritted teeth, and notwithstanding any other things that I would not hasten to add, that a certain individual would tend to agree with you, but not to put too fine a point on it, the individual in question is, it may surprise you to learn, one whom your present interlocutor is in the habit of defining by means of the perpendicular pronoun

Leveins Battalion
24 minutes ago, Cambo said:

The FOH contributions are masking how poor our player trading is.

Dougie Masterton

Not sure what you mean.  He is a better option than Halliday, Forrest or Grant that’s for sure.

Oh you know what I mean. 

GorgieFifeLife
4 minutes ago, Dougie Masterton said:

Oh you know what I mean. 

No idea but I’m not going to bother playing whatever game you think you are playing.  You obviously have nothing to offer so don’t quote me again👍🏻

5 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Again, which is fine. And I don’t blame people for thinking he might be based on watching him versus us, the OF and Darvel. But with the formation Aberdeen played, often with 3 at the back and with Clarkson pushing forward, he had to be at least decent to be a holding midfielder in a team that finished 3rd.

All very well, but doesn’t hide the fact Aberdeen will likely get over £1m for him

Whatever way you want to look at it Aberdeen are very good at getting good prices for very average players 

We at Hearts are obviously too accommodating when it comes to selling players, we need to be sending out a message when it comes to our playing trading model

Despite what any of us here think, we should not even consider selling Shankland or Beni for less than £5m even Grant or Sibbick starting price should be £1.5m

That is nothing for English clubs to pay for comparable players playing at a lower level down south

we need to get wise and play hard ball when it comes to selling players 

Aberdeen have brought in over £15m plus add ons in player sales in the last 4 years, that’s 10 years in FOH contributions

We really need to wise up and stop accepting the first offer as well as getting our better talents on long contracts 

Beni(regardless of fitness )!Shankland and Devlin should all be in discussions about new contracts, if we are really serious about kicking on as a club we really need to address this

Edited by jbee647

Aberdeen and to an extent Hibs are good at shouting as loud as possible about their transfer business. It inflates their sales but I bet it inflates their buys aswell.

With our demotion and spell in the championship we are a little bit behind and are not necessarily going down the loudmouth route.

I reckon we have a squad full of talent we could sell if needed if we so wished.

On paper it all seems magic at Aberdeen and Hibs and are able to talk up their dross. Let’s see how it pans out long term. 

Dougie Masterton
28 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

No idea but I’m not going to bother playing whatever game you think you are playing.  You obviously have nothing to offer so don’t quote me again👍🏻

You should go back to .net and stop polluting this board with your nonsense. 

jamboinglasgow
3 minutes ago, Rods said:

Aberdeen and to an extent Hibs are good at shouting as loud as possible about their transfer business. It inflates their sales but I bet it inflates their buys aswell.

With our demotion and spell in the championship we are a little bit behind and are not necessarily going down the loudmouth route.

I reckon we have a squad full of talent we could sell if needed if we so wished.

On paper it all seems magic at Aberdeen and Hibs and are able to talk up their dross. Let’s see how it pans out long term. 

Would agree with that. Hibs are good at putting out inflated prices for players.

I also think that transfer windows can look good on paper, but you never know how good they are till a few months afterwards. I still think Aberdeen fans and pundits are too quick to declare Aberdeen third. 

GorgieFifeLife
1 hour ago, Dougie Masterton said:

You should go back to .net and stop polluting this board with your nonsense. 

🤣🤣🤣brain dead you are🤡

2 hours ago, jbee647 said:

All very well, but doesn’t hide the fact Aberdeen will likely get over £1m for him

Whatever way you want to look at it Aberdeen are very good at getting good prices for very average players 

We at Hearts are obviously too accommodating when it comes to selling players, we need to be sending out a message when it comes to our playing trading model

Despite what any of us here think, we should not even consider selling Shankland or Beni for less than £5m even Grant or Sibbick starting price should be £1.5m

That is nothing for English clubs to pay for comparable players playing at a lower level down south

Aberdeen have brought in over £15m plus add ons in player sales in the last 4 years, that’s 10 years in FOH contributions

We really need to wise up and stop accepting the first offer as well as getting our better talents on long contracts 

Beni(regardless of fitness )!Shankland and Devlin should all be in discussions about new contracts, if we are really serious about kicking on as a club we really need to address this

Appreciate this is probably for a different thread, but you make a very valid point around player trading. Dons and to a lesser extent the vermin have been reasonably good at it. We've basically not participated in player trading during the Budge era. 

FoH contributions are extremely commendable. But they don't give us the competitive advantage they could as they essentially fill a gap that our direct competitors create with player trading / sell on % etc. 

We have a few really pressing contract extension situations that require a positive outcome. We do need to get away from the perception that benevolence can simply address the shortfalls. We need to be more astute. 

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, Cambo said:

Spot on, not even great players either, doubt if the Aberdeen fans are too gutted about Ramadani leaving. 

2 hours ago, Rods said:

I’ve said before and I really believe it, getting money for players is simply about having players clubs will pay money for.  We’ve stopped signing journeymen that could ‘do a job’ but are ultimately worthless in the transfer market and now sign younger talent. Some will attract fees while they’re still under contract and some won’t. 

It’s about signing the right players. 

3 hours ago, jbee647 said:

We only changed our transfer policy in the summer following our last promotion from the championship. 

Since then two players of value have left.  Souttar, club not at fault and Gino, I wouldn’t have offered him a contract any earlier but appreciate some folk feel differently.  The rest of the value is still at the club. 

Pasquale for King
33 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I’ve said before and I really believe it, getting money for players is simply about having players clubs will pay money for.  We’ve stopped signing journeymen that could ‘do a job’ but are ultimately worthless in the transfer market and now sign younger talent. Some will attract fees while they’re still under contract and some won’t. 

Or releasing the wrong ones, sure Hibs have made about £4m so far on Doig, Cummings and Shaw 🤦🏽

5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Or releasing the wrong ones, sure Hibs have made about £4m so far on Doig, Cummings and Shaw 🤦🏽

Aye true. We seem to have changed our policy since then. Hopefully further changes in the Naismith era. 

9 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

Apparently St Mirren looking in to bring in a striker, apparently strong rumour it’s Uche Ikpeazu 

That's a big upgrade on Curtis Main. Personal opinion of course.

Bazzas right boot
8 hours ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

I was awaiting the punchline.

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

Spot on.

Folk talking about Aberdeen and Hibs like it’s something new. We done the same during the mad vlad days. Paying fees and hefty wages hoping to hit the jackpot. Yeh it was good at first but look where it ended up.

We will sell players when the time is considered right for the club. 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Carter said:

Appreciate this is probably for a different thread, but you make a very valid point around player trading. Dons and to a lesser extent the vermin have been reasonably good at it. We've basically not participated in player trading during the Budge era. 

FoH contributions are extremely commendable. But they don't give us the competitive advantage they could as they essentially fill a gap that our direct competitors create with player trading / sell on % etc. 

We have a few really pressing contract extension situations that require a positive outcome. We do need to get away from the perception that benevolence can simply address the shortfalls. We need to be more astute. 

Aberdeen have  generally been the better side in the last 10-15 years. Often in the top 3 or 4.

We've been bottom of the league twice and demoted/ relegated twice in the last ten years.

This was triggered by administration. 

Teams in this situation rarely sell players for high value as the players aren't good enough, which is reflected in the league position. 

We'll only improve our player sales when we have better players that deliver. 

We've started with a 3rd and 4th finnish but we're probably 10 years behind Aberdeen in consistency.

Hibs have been a tad lucky imo, got young players who have been on decent contracts where as our better players have run contracts down

Hickey on a longer contract and a injury free Souttar would have gotten us far bigger fees.

Outside our control tho.

Hibs have also been shite and have been as inconsistent if not even more than us. Not sure I'd be happy if we mirrored their performance In the last 10 years. 

Aberdeen have been consistent in the league and sold on players, They are closer to what we should be looking at emulating. 

They just need to find £75m for a new stadium. 

Edited by Bazzas right boot

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

Aye true. We seem to have changed our policy since then. Hopefully further changes in the Naismith era. 

🤞

17 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Aberdeen have  generally been the better side in the last 10-15 years. Often in the top 3 or 4.

We've been bottom of the league twice and demoted/ relegated twice in the last ten years.

This was triggered by administration. 

Teams in this situation rarely sell players for high value as the players aren't good enough, which is reflected in the league position. 

We'll only improve our player sales when we have better players that deliver. 

We've started with a 3rd and 4th finnish but we're probably 10 years behind Aberdeen in consistency.

Hibs have been a tad lucky imo, got young players who have been on decent contracts where as our better players have run contracts down

Hickey on a longer contract and a injury free Souttar would have gotten us far bigger fees.

Outside our control tho.

Hibs have also been shite and have been as inconsistent if not even more than us. Not sure I'd be happy if we mirrored their performance In the last 10 years. 

Aberdeen have been consistent in the league and sold on players, They are closer to what we should be looking at emulating. 

They just need to find £75m for a new stadium

Can’t disagree with much of that, with regards to Aberdeen building a new stadium I wouldn’t hold my breath, they have been discussing it for 25 years and we will still be talking about in in 25 years 

Unless someone is building it for them, there is no great desire from Aberdeen to update Pittodrie 

1 hour ago, jbee647 said:

Apparently St Mirren looking in to bring in a striker, apparently strong rumour it’s Uche Ikpeazu 

In time to crock Trevor Carson at Dundee? 😁

GorgieFifeLife
3 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I was awaiting the punchline.

You will be waiting a long time.  I see us struggling this season.  No signings who are proven in this league is a disaster waiting to happen.  

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

You will be waiting a long time.  I see us struggling this season.  No signings who are proven in this league is a disaster waiting to happen.  

David ****ing Wotherspoon isn't the answer tho.

Ffs.

GorgieFifeLife
2 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

David ****ing Wotherspoon isn't the answer tho.

Ffs.

Fair enough👍🏻

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, GinRummy said:

I’m the same. A lot of false dawns at our club 😂

Its the hope that kills us, anyway bring on the Saintees 💪🏿

10 hours ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

Beni , Simms , Devlin and Shanks were unproven in this league . We have plenty players in our current squad who who have played one or more seasons here . All are better than an ageing  David Wotherspoon . Annoyed at my self for even answering this though , you are clearly at it 

Dick Dastardly
21 hours ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 

GorgieFifeLife
51 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Beni , Simms , Devlin and Shanks were unproven in this league . We have plenty players in our current squad who who have played one or more seasons here . All are better than an ageing  David Wotherspoon . Annoyed at my self for even answering this though , you are clearly at it 

I just think we need more experience in the squad that’s all.  Wotherspoon was an example.  He is ageing but if he has kept himself fit that shouldn’t matter.  Not at it at all.  If I was I’m sure there are better things I could come up with.

7 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

I just think we need more experience in the squad that’s all.  Wotherspoon was an example.  He is ageing but if he has kept himself fit that shouldn’t matter.  Not at it at all.  If I was I’m sure there are better things I could come up with.

Wetherspoon? **** off! 😂

Cant wait for the first derby , these dicks are getting steam rollered . Amazing how cocky they can get after beating a team of goat herds at their home midden . Fact remains those goat herds stuck three goals past them in the process 

GorgieFifeLife
5 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Wetherspoon? **** off! 😂

Nah it’s too early for a pint thanks👍🏻.  Please do as you have suggested so eloquently🙄

Just now, GorgieFifeLife said:

Nah it’s too early for a pint thanks👍🏻.  Please do as you have suggested so eloquently🙄

It’s signing aging pros and journeymen that got us into the nick we were in when we were demoted. The transfer policy we have right now is the one that will drive the club forwards. 

Not every signing will work and some windows will be poorer than others but by signing young(ish)  up and coming talent from different leagues, we give ourselves the opportunity of signing players who, with the right coaching, can end up a level above what we can afford and also attract transfer fees which enable us to pay more wages and get better players.  

GorgieFifeLife
6 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Cant wait for the first derby , these dicks are getting steam rollered . Amazing how cocky they can get after beating a team of goat herds at their home midden . Fact remains those goat herds stuck three goals past them in the process 

What has any of that got to do with other teams transfer business?  Calm down and don’t let them live in your head so easily. They will be easily removed from the competition by the Swiss at the next stage anyway.  Their only tactic of punting it over the top for Boyle is easily dealt with by even a decent Junior outfit in Scotland.

2 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

What has any of that got to do with other teams transfer business?  Calm down and don’t let them live in your head so easily. They will be easily removed from the competition by the Swiss at the next stage anyway.  Their only tactic of punting it over the top for Boyle is easily dealt with by even a decent Junior outfit in Scotland.

I did not quote you . Amusing that you took it that way though 

GorgieFifeLife
1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

It’s signing aging pros and journeymen that got us into the nick we were in when we were demoted. The transfer policy we have right now is the one that will drive the club forwards. 

Not every signing will work and some windows will be poorer than others but by signing young(ish)  up and coming talent from different leagues, we give ourselves the opportunity of signing players who, with the right coaching, can end up a level above what we can afford and also attract transfer fees which enable us to pay more wages and get better players.  

Totally agree with everything you say.  I think we do need a mix of experience and youth though.  Especially when we are signing players from all corners of the globe who have little idea of what the league is all about.  I think in the past it has been the wrong type of ageing pros we have targeted.  There are some who have got good longevity despite age and players are able to go on longer at a good level now given the modern day conditioning techniques.