Pre season friendlies - Leeds on 30/7 ( updated )

Micky

Tom Hardy’s Dug
Just now, The Treasurer said:

Bound to get wee niggles after being out for so long, same with Beni 

Really?

Not if he has recovered and been trained properly. Not bound to be further injuries at all.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Mikey1874

• Tom Hardy’s Dug

• Chuck Berry

1 minute ago, The Treasurer said:

Beni played the full game which is great, but I'm sure he & Boyce will be monitored carefully for any reaction before the weekend game.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
Just now, GBJambo said:

Sure we have won 1 game 

It’s difficult to know to be fair given how many have been played in secret 😂

periodictabledancer
1 hour ago, innerjambo said:

Our starting 11 will get royally horsed by Leeds.

This. 

Hackney Hearts
33 minutes ago, ramrod said:

The Sibbick/Rowles combo shipping goals again, who knew eh ?

Goals 2 & 3 came after Rathie replaced Rowles, I believe.

First goal sounded like the keeper didn't cover himself in glory? Wasn't there obviously.

BackOfTheNet
7 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

The pre-season results aren't encouraging, but we did beat Fleetwood 2-0 so its not quite zero wins.

Oh yeah, forgot about that

5 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Another reason why my expectations for this season are very very low. Have no confidence in Halkett, Beni or Boyce playing much without further injuries.  

gorgierulesapply88
7 minutes ago, ShedBoy said:

We beat league 1 Fleetwood

And? We could go beat Leeds 1-0 does that mean we're capable of winning the league? My 18's lost 6-2, and have won 3-2 & 3-2... Winning breeds confidence yes, but we're beating under 20s sides.

BackOfTheNet
8 minutes ago, ShedBoy said:

We beat league 1 Fleetwood

5 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Sure we have won 1 game 

Yeah, forgot about that, already mentioned

Bungalow Bill

I’m disappointed with this result, bloody Mansfield. A friendly yes, but come on, there has to be a desire there to win. 

Tom Hardy's got a really annoying dug

It keeps shiting all over my antique rug

Clawing and biting at the arse creek of emptiness

Ministryofdad
32 minutes ago, ShedBoy said:

As can everyone.

Back to Leith lad 👍🏻

I live closer to tyne than you son

Ministryofdad
38 minutes ago, Dalstonjambo said:

Hang on. You said we were crap because we were concentrating on the women’s team? Which is it?

We are not crap. 

I never said. That. Don't put words into my mouth 

I’m somewhere in the middle with this tbh. Results don’t really matter. It’s more about fitness and getting up to speed.

But this is the thing, it really doesn’t feel like we’re up to speed. Players with niggles and knocks, no new signings integrated yet with not a lot of time to do so, barely scoring and still conceding plenty.

Shankland not grabbed even one goal, not heard anything much from Oda either. 

Tonight’s performance levels & selections  would be something you’d expect earlier in a pre season schedule, not a week and a half out from your first game.

Not paying a great deal of attention to the results. Always want to win any game whether its a friendly or not but it isn't the be all. 

I do hope that the players are getting match sharp though. 

What I'd like to hear from anyone who has watched us in any pre season game is that the players look to be improving their fitness, working as a solid unit, enjoying their football.

Probably most importantly, Does it look like the players are not only working on a style and a game plan but buying into the style and game plan our new coaching team is implementing. 

Because even with the right players, The fitness levels, if the players don't buy into what we are trying to do, We are in for a really tough season. Followed by another new management team.

42 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

The friendlies have a purpose and they’re not results driven. But I’m not going to pretend zero wins in pre-season is comforting in any way shape or form. No panic from me, but not going to lie I’m disappointed a little bit.

Thought we beat Fleetwood 2-0 🤔

Tom Hardy’s Dug
32 minutes ago, WageThief said:

You’re not that empty mate.

If you are happy with things and how pre-season has imploded and been disastrously organised fair play to you.

The only people that will be happy with our pre-season so far will be Hibs and Aberdeen fans.

You keep nodding away like one of those other dogs though.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

BackOfTheNet
1 minute ago, luckydug said:

Thought we beat Fleetwood 2-0 🤔

Aye, already established further up the thread

BackOfTheNet
9 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Just one question. Where is Oda ?

Maybe he missed the game because he was showing a fellow countryman about? Like Grant missing the weekend’s game and then suddenly his former teammate pops up as a signing…

:whistling:

Getintaethem
1 hour ago, Ministryofdad said:

Explain how? 

We owe budge and her brother 20+ million for an unfinished stand. 

Do we?  Really?

8 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Maybe he missed the game because he was showing a fellow countryman about? Like Grant missing the weekend’s game and then suddenly his former teammate pops up as a signing…

:whistling:

I heard he went on holiday with Savage to pre-emptively celebrate Boyce breaking both legs in the appalling mauling from Mansfield.

Naisys Tackle

So we beat Leeds at the weekend and Boyce scores a double:  Nobody is happy saying its a great result and clamoring for Boyce to start in Perth?

Or just the "aww only a friendly and the match means nothing"? 

:lol: 

ArcticJambo
1 hour ago, David McCaig said:

Good post and the danger for me is that we end up wasting a dream run of opening fixtures and highly favourable European draw, through poor preparation and failing to be 100% ready for day 1 of the competitive season.

This bang on!  :thumbsup:

BackOfTheNet
6 minutes ago, WageThief said:

I heard he went on holiday with Savage to pre-emptively celebrate Boyce breaking both legs in the appalling mauling from Mansfield.

Still can’t believe he broke both legs attempting an audacious scorpion kick to score an own goal at the instruction of the management team

Jambof3tornado

Good 90 for beni. No wonder we play most preseason games behind closed doors.

The result is irrelevant.

Ronald Villiers

Pre season friendlies mean nothing at the end of the day, other than the final couple prior to the season starting.  It's all about giving everyone a runout and trying different formations etc.  I've seen a good few dross performances pre season over the years.  It's going to be difficult but we'll have a better idea of our style of play and where we're lacking against Leeds.  

55 minutes ago, WageThief said:

Not quite a haiku, but poetry nevertheless.

We need more poetry on JKB.

Luckies1874
43 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Just one question. Where is Oda ?

Oda, McKay and Ginnelly out the side and ability wise you start to look pretty thin on the ground. We need 2 attacking players in pronto.  

I hate this part of the season.

Nothing can be concluded from friendly games.

Win big = "opposition were pish, how are we meant to improve if we play shite like this"
Lose big = "what are we even doing playing teams way above our level, we won't be playing these every week"

Can't even take anything from a performance as nobody will be trying 100%, because who wants to get injured pre season?

Tynecastlesmychurch

So preseason games mean nothing. It’s just about building up fitness and getting an idea of shapes, formations etc. 

Even so theirs no getting away from it. It’s been far from inspiring. I’d like my players and coaches to want to win all games. I mean who likes losing to dross shitey little diddy crappy teams from the arse end of the English football pyramid! That being said as long as these losses aren’t hurting the confidence of the players. And they are enjoying the run outs. Getting to grips with the new style etc then yeah okay I definitely fall into the camp of everyone chill the F out it’s just about fitness etc. 

Leeds on the other hand is a huge club and a big test and I’d hope that we’d treat that game a bit differently. Treat it as a more important game. I’d really love us to put on a performance in that game and go for the win. 

For those who aren't involved in football, preseason friendly results mean jack, it's all about the minutes.  My memory is not perfect but I don't think we have done well in friendlies for years and it's not mattered one jot.  No team worth its salt gives two hoots about what the scores in friendlies are, just the fans.  We will be fine come the season KO, I wouldn't be surprised if we beat Leeds, but again that will mean nowt apart from minutes for the players.

1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

If you are happy with things and how pre-season has imploded and been disastrously organised fair play to you.

The only people that will be happy with our pre-season so far will be Hibs and Aberdeen fans.

Really? Will they care? I couldn't tell you how either of them have done in pre-season friendlies.

Naisys Tackle
40 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Oda, McKay and Ginnelly out the side and ability wise you start to look pretty thin on the ground. We need 2 attacking players in pronto.  

This, and soon.  No pretending we are sitting patient waiting for quality pish either.   

Graham Thomson
4 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

If you have got a dug? Would much prefer to read his or her postings on here, you are so boringly negative for July 😭 you must be a fun person to be around NOT!!!

7 hours ago, been here before said:

:rofl:

Stop man, stop.

:rofl:

If only! 😉

There's no stopping some!!!

It's a good laugh, though ...

7 hours ago, LochcarronJambo said:

If friendlies are meaningless, why will have Hearts have a crowd probably around 15k on Sunday? 

I can not speak for any one else but my reason for being there vs Leeds is because I want to watch our players have a wee kick about . I

want to see Wilson with my own eyes and see what sort of player he is , and how the management team plan to utilise him 

I want to see Boyce and Beni after so long out and remind my self of what we have been missing from them in terms of how they connect with other players

I want to see Kent and get an idea of how he connects with the midfield and who ever he is partnered with at the back

Most of all I want to sink some pints with mates and have a laugh in the pub before and after

5 hours ago, Naisys Tackle said:

So we beat Leeds at the weekend and Boyce scores a double:  Nobody is happy saying its a great result and clamoring for Boyce to start in Perth?

Or just the "aww only a friendly and the match means nothing"? 

:lol: 

The second one , by a country mile . Same as when we lost or drew with. Easley and then beat a Championship team a week later last pre season . The results means absolutely zilch and has zero bearing on the season ahead . If we beat Leeds I will be about as non plussed as I am with this result . It is not about results in pre season 

6 hours ago, gorgierulesapply88 said:

And? We could go beat Leeds 1-0 does that mean we're capable of winning the league? My 18's lost 6-2, and have won 3-2 & 3-2... Winning breeds confidence yes, but we're beating under 20s sides.

The poster said we hadn’t beat anyone in pre season. I was merely correcting him.

Engage brain before ranting 👍🏻

David McCaig
6 hours ago, Ronald Villiers said:

Pre season friendlies mean nothing at the end of the day, other than the final couple prior to the season starting.  It's all about giving everyone a runout and trying different formations etc.  I've seen a good few dross performances pre season over the years.  It's going to be difficult but we'll have a better idea of our style of play and where we're lacking against Leeds.  

This was our penultimate pre season game, so it was one of the final couple!!

Wouldn't waste any energy getting worked up on a game like last night's, likely the Hearts players had training as normal through the day. Tough day but will reap the rewards fitness wise. 

The only thing niggling in the back of my mind is its Naismith/McEvoys first pre season and could they have got the prep badly wrong ?

The fact that most games have been behind closed doors probably tells us there has been a fair bit of experimentation going on re systems etc.

The one thing we have is under them we played fairly well the last 6 games of the season so it would be a major shock if we have regressed as badly as the friendly results suggest .

Sunday will tell us a lot as we will probably treat this as close to a competitive game as we will  see this season.

7 minutes ago, ramrod said:

The only thing niggling in the back of my mind is its Naismith/McEvoys first pre season and could they have got the prep badly wrong ?

The fact that most games have been behind closed doors probably tells us there has been a fair bit of experimentation going on re systems etc.

The one thing we have is under them we played fairly well the last 6 games of the season so it would be a major shock if we have regressed as badly as the friendly results suggest .

Sunday will tell us a lot as we will probably treat this as close to a competitive game as we will  see this season.

Yep I’d expect a performance if not result against Leeds.