Pre season friendlies - Leeds on 30/7 ( updated )

Micky

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Mikey1874

• Tom Hardy’s Dug

• Pasquale for King

Well I’m glad I resisted the temptation to have a look on here last night.

I have never been a fan of “friendly” games unless there is some actual purpose to them like a testimonial etc. Generally speaking I avoid them like the plague as there is no competitive edge to them and players are generally playing well within themselves.  More so with pre season ones where they are almost on the same level as “kick abouts” looking at the lineups and changes there is little doubt the first  half was a bit of a sharpen up excercise for most of our stick on starters. The rest of the game seemed to be about giving others game time.  I’d expect to see the Leeds game being that bit more competitive given its being played in front of paying fans. 

All in all though too many on here with far to high expectations as to what these closed door games are all about. 

Edited by Deevers

The Treasurer
9 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Really?

Not if he has recovered and been trained properly. Not bound to be further injuries at all.

Happens to most players 

johnking123

As I have said before.  Don't care for friendlies. But we do seem to be conceding and not scoring a lot. Still feel it shoud not have been Naismith and co in charge. Time tell I guess. 

3 hours ago, Sooks said:

I can not speak for any one else but my reason for being there vs Leeds is because I want to watch our players have a wee kick about . I

want to see Wilson with my own eyes and see what sort of player he is , and how the management team plan to utilise him 

I want to see Boyce and Beni after so long out and remind my self of what we have been missing from them in terms of how they connect with other players

I want to see Kent and get an idea of how he connects with the midfield and who ever he is partnered with at the back

Most of all I want to sink some pints with mates and have a laugh in the pub before and after

Im going cos my brother in law is a Leeds supporter (and a Staggie, his fam are yorkshire but grew up in Dingwall) and his daughter is trying to support Liverpool which is killing him!! Haha. Its a missionary project.

If not for that, doubt id go. But your reasons are what interest me now i am going.

As daft as it is to base opinions on friendlies (I remember Grzelak looking quite handy in preseason) I have went for the hospitality on Sunday as it happens to fall on my birthday.

Listed in the package is the following: 

• Pre-match panel with past players who have played for both Hearts and Leeds United

There aren’t many players who meet this criteria, off the top of my head I can think of Mark de Vries, Patrick Kisnorbo, Glyn Snodin and Joe Jordan (and of course Zal RIP)

Can anyone come up with other possibilities? I do hope I’m not getting suited up to meet Connor Shaughnessy :vrface: 

3 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

As daft as it is to base opinions on friendlies (I remember Grzelak looking quite handy in preseason) I have went for the hospitality on Sunday as it happens to fall on my birthday.

• Pre-match panel with past players who have played for both Hearts and Leeds United

There aren’t many players who meet this criteria, off the top of my head I can think of Mark de Vries, Patrick Kisnorbo, Glyn Snodin and Joe Jordan (and of course Zal RIP)

Can anyone come up with other possibilities? I do hope I’m not getting suited up to meet Connor Shaughnessy :vrface: 

Henry Smith he is in the gorgie suite almost every game

Edited by Rockwell

Bungalow Bill
4 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Derek Lilley maybe. Was on loan at us from Leeds. 

12 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Glynn Snodin

8 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Why is no one giving a **** about Boyce going off ****ed last night?

Do we know what the problem is yet?

20 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Alan Maybury?

jamboinglasgow
32 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Aidy White

1 hour ago, BigAlim said:

Andy Watson 

We_are_the_Hearts
1 hour ago, BigAlim said:

Ian Baird

12 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

So with the staring XI of:

Clark

Atkinson

Sibbick

Rowles

Kingsley

Haring

Baningime

Forrest

Shankland

Cochrane

Boyce

…we went in 1-0 up

And with the changes made in the second half our XI was:

McGovern

Neilson

Sibbick

Rowles

Halliday

Smith

Baningime

Denholm

Cochrane

Grant

Wilson

…and they lost 1-3

Have I got that right?

Think that’s about right, yes. 

Also players that didn’t play as follows: Gordon Halkett Devlin McKay Oda Kent Nieuwenhof

Chuck Berry
2 hours ago, Deevers said:

Well I’m glad I resisted the temptation to have a look on here last night.

I have never been a fan of “friendly” games unless there is some actual purpose to them like a testimonial etc. Generally speaking I avoid them like the plague as there is no competitive edge to them and players are generally playing well within themselves.  More so with pre season ones where they are almost on the same level as “kick abouts” looking at the lineups and changes there is little doubt the first  half was a bit of a sharpen up excercise for most of our stick on starters. The rest of the game seemed to be about giving others game time.  I’d expect to see the Leeds game being that bit more competitive given its being played in front of paying fans. 

All in all though too many on here with far to high expectations as to what these closed door games are all about. 

They're not really like that anymore. The Dunfermline game for example was pretty competitive, nobody was taking it easy.

Just now, Chuck Berry said:

They're not really like that anymore. The Dunfermline game for example was pretty competitive, nobody was taking it easy.

Probably more competitive than anything “behind closed doors”.  

Chuck Berry
Just now, Deevers said:

Probably more competitive than anything “behind closed doors”.  

No idea, I couldn't get in 😂

1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

Waiting to hear what the issue is and not jumping to conclusions ? Probs won’t catch on to be fair. 

David McCaig
2 hours ago, BigAlim said:

Ian Baird

38 minutes ago, ceefax said:

Think that’s about right, yes. 

Also players that didn’t play as follows: Gordon Halkett Devlin McKay Oda Kent Nieuwenhof

So, 6/7 of our starting xi you say?

Naisys Tackle
11 hours ago, Sooks said:

The second one , by a country mile . Same as when we lost or drew with. Easley and then beat a Championship team a week later last pre season . The results means absolutely zilch and has zero bearing on the season ahead . If we beat Leeds I will be about as non plussed as I am with this result . It is not about results in pre season 

Me too I agree.  Will be interesting to see how others react though. 

5 hours ago, Dazo said:

Waiting to hear what the issue is and not jumping to conclusions ? Probs won’t catch on to be fair. 

I only have so many pairs of pants , if I wet them all at the first hint of trouble I could run out . Others will have access to more more pants than me 

8 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

This was always going to happen and it will happen with Beni.

Niggling little injuries is comon after such a time out with serious injury, calf and hamstring strains being the most common .

I care deeply.

What now?

davemclaren
15 minutes ago, ramrod said:

This was always going to happen and it will happen with Beni.

Niggling little injuries is comon after such a time out with serious injury, calf and hamstring strains being the most common .

Fault of our physio/medical staff I'm told. 😄

Frankie McAvoy says it's an important game we have coming up against Leeds. Wtf, someone needs to tell him it's just a kick around, training session etc 😒 

Because he’s a squad player and we’ve got loads o thum silly 🫤

been here before
15 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

Frankie McAvoy says it's an important game we have coming up against Leeds. Wtf, someone needs to tell him it's just a kick around, training session etc 😒 

The same interview where he continues "before the real stuff starts a week on Saturday", aye?

7 hours ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Any "noise" about us showing Leeds on Hearts TV?

Nothing so far.  Check the Hearts TV thread to see what pops up.  Got video interviews up with Frankie Kent and Calem Nieuwenhof though.  :rolleyes4:

1 hour ago, been here before said:

The same interview where he continues "before the real stuff starts a week on Saturday", aye?

:lol:

ShortmanRossco
22 hours ago, BigAlim said:

Seems unlikely given he was kinda given the heave at Hearts but Robert Snodgrass is the most recent contender.

Gordon Zola

does anyone know if mcleod street will be shut off to leeds fans and they will need to come via russell road?

tia

On 26/07/2023 at 07:24, ramrod said:

The only thing niggling in the back of my mind is its Naismith/McEvoys first pre season and could they have got the prep badly wrong ?

The fact that most games have been behind closed doors probably tells us there has been a fair bit of experimentation going on re systems etc.

The one thing we have is under them we played fairly well the last 6 games of the season so it would be a major shock if we have regressed as badly as the friendly results suggest .

Sunday will tell us a lot as we will probably treat this as close to a competitive game as we will  see this season.

As a pairing yes but McAvoy especially has been involved in plenty pre-seasons working under Alex Neil and then would have been in charge of pre-season while Preston manager himself

For those that can’t get to Tynie the match is on LUFC ppv

LUTV will be providing full coverage of TWO upcoming pre-season friendlies this week, as Daniel Farke and the squad continue their preparations for the 2023/24 EFL Championship season.

On Sunday, Scottish Premier League side Hearts are the hosts, kick off 3pm at Tynecastle Park, with passes available to purchase from Friday morning, for £7.99.

Obviously if HeartsTV decide to show it on PPV pay and watch it there ♥️♥️♥️♥️

And fyi Leeds have not (yet) sold their allocation …

Tickets still remain for our pre-season away fixture against Hearts at Tynecastle Park on Sunday 30th July 2023 (3pm).

Tickets are available to all 2023/24 Season Ticket Holders & My Leeds Members.

On 26/07/2023 at 08:05, Clerry Jambo said:

Wrexham gubbed the wee mancs 1-3 just saying likesay….

Will fish was in the team and he was probably the biggest name to play!

12 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

For those that can’t get to Tynie the match is on LUFC ppv

LUTV will be providing full coverage of TWO upcoming pre-season friendlies this week, as Daniel Farke and the squad continue their preparations for the 2023/24 EFL Championship season.

On Sunday, Scottish Premier League side Hearts are the hosts, kick off 3pm at Tynecastle Park, with passes available to purchase from Friday morning, for £7.99.

Obviously if HeartsTV decide to show it on PPV pay and watch it there ♥️♥️♥️♥️

Hearts’ pre-season friendly match against Leeds United will be shown live on PPV.

Priced at only £7.99, supporters can purchase their PPV pass by clicking here.

Pohang Jambo

Anyone have any idea how many tickets we’ve sold for this game? Saw a couple of days ago that Leeds were still selling tickets for the Roseburn

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Leeds looked really good last night, despite relegation they carry still a pretty strong squad. With Farke at the wheel, they should dominate Championship, this is "almost" as good as playing an EPL team

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Pohang Jambo said:

Anyone have any idea how many tickets we’ve sold for this game? Saw a couple of days ago that Leeds were still selling tickets for the Roseburn

Shifted quite a few since midweek, if Leeds have sold 3 k, reckon currently its somewhere about 15.5k