Naismith, Forrest and McAvoy to end of the season ( updated/merged )

Thomaso

RustyRightPeg
51 minutes ago, Squirt said:

First interview, that isn’t in-house, as interim manager and I think that comes across in that interview.

Hopefully relaxes as the weeks go by and he gets used to it but I can’t say I was hugely impressed by the way he spoke.

Win our games and I couldn’t give a **** mind you. 

Think there’s a fine line to tip toe round that we need to appreciate.

He needs to keep fans happy and on side by saying the right things to the press without putting extra pressure on what can only be described as a squad shattered of its confidence up until Monday morning when they resumed training. They needed a fresh voice, a fresh approach and I believe we’ll get that from Naismith and McAvoy.

The players know what’s at stake, no 2 ways about it. Some of them are playing for their futures, they’ll know that too. 

I think it was a good interview, the reporter tried to trip him up a couple of times but he ignored it and remained focused on the main point which was that performances need to improve first and foremost before we do or think about anything else. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soonbe110

• Fozzyonthefence

• Thomaso

• Pasquale for King

The Treasurer
47 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I think getting third gets him the job but I think there are other scenarios that would give him a great chance of remaining, such as taking it to the last day of the season and finishing 4th just a point behind 3rd for example. I also think how the 'unbalanced' final 5 fixtures impact us and our competitors for third could be a big factor in how it all plays out.  

What you mean is, if the SPFL shaft us yet again with the fixtures it will make it much harder to achieve 3rd place than if we got the fixtures we should be getting

upgotheheads

Ever since Naismith stood on Broons ba's in front of the ref and got away with it I've known he has serious managerial potential.

3 hours ago, David McCaig said:

Personally, I thought he came across brilliantly.

Agreed. He was clear and concise. 

I think he is just what we need at this time. I’m now looking forward to the derby instead of dreading it a few days ago.

pettigrewsstylist
9 hours ago, TheBigO said:

I'm not a coach.  Honest.  Well actually I am, but 10 yearold girls a bit different to pro athletes (in some ways!)

But surely being a good coach is about getting the best out of your players - yes, round players out and improve all the parts of their game, but show them their strengths and help them utilise it.

So, in very simple terms, the fact that Barrie and Gino very rarely run at pace with the ball, really drive at people, is a failure.

I really hope that SN is spending time with guys like these two drilling it in to them that it needs to become instinct to receive ball and go.  Of course, decsion making comes in to it, its not actually EVERY time they get the ball, but the number of times this is on and we turn it down to pass inside or back is astonishing.  We became so hellbent on possession (or "control") that we lost the edge imo.  I'd rather the theory was, aye I might lose it but me and my teammates will win it back within a couple of secs anyway, so nae worries.  Robbie had us doing that at points last season, which is the shame that we lost it.  I think the injuries etc really affected him and his confidence in what we could do in that respect.

Playing in front of defences is the problem. We have not even tried to "turn" them much recently.

Game plan needs more dimensions and mixed up a little.

3 hours ago, basscom said:

Agreed. He was clear and concise. 

I think he is just what we need at this time. I’m now looking forward to the derby instead of dreading it a few days ago.

Clear and concise? Didn’t exactly clear up the Snoddy issue, did he?

FarmerTweedy
11 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

Yes we are guaranteed it after finishing 3rd last season. What could be in question is who we play but I've heard that both Celtic and Aberdeen are certainties. Hibs would be the other team if they are top 6 but of course we are hoping to inflict damage, that would put that in jeopardy, on Saturday! 

If it's the current top 6 then it will almost definitely mean we have Celtic, Aberdeen and Hibs at home with Rangers and St Mirren away.

We're not absolutely guaranteed 3 home games.  We should get them, but ultimately it's not a case of whoever finished 3rd last season gets what they should, the league's priority (after pandering to the arsecheeks of course) is trying to balance fixtures as fairly as they think is possible for clubs with something still at stake. Of course, in a sane world, that would mean ensuring 3 home games for us, as with the league title effectively sewn up, the battle for 3rd is the most significant thing up for grabs, but you can never be certain of how the league will decide things!  We will almost certainly have 3 home games, but it isn't quite guaranteed! 

FarmerTweedy
11 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

I get what you are saying but I don't see it. I think Andrew McKinlay has been so open about how big 3rd is that anything else for this season is failure. I don't see then giving it to Naismith if he hasn't achieved that but I could be wrong. 

We won't be disadvantaged over anyone else for the 5 fixtures. We are going to have 3 home games one of which will be against Aberdeen. Whether it's a must win may come down to what happens in the 2 games pre split! I still think it's unlikely anyone takes much off the Old Firm and they have 3 of 7 against them.

3rd is the objective and missing out on it means failure for the club, but that failure will primarily be on Neilson's shoulders if we don't get it, not Naismith's. Of course, it'll be something the board take into account, but given the form we've been in and results we've had recently, the board are bound to have an understanding of how big a task it will be to turn things around. Naismith will be judged on how much he can get the players playing well and getting better results, rather than where we finish. We could finish the season pretty well, with a couple of battling performances that ultimately finish in narrow, unfortunate defeats against the arsecheeks, and win almost every other game with exciting, swashbuckling performances that sweep the opposition aside, but still finish behind Aberdeen because they scrape a bunch of flukey wins, including against the arsecheeks. If that happened, the board would be highly unlikely to see that he's had a huge positive impact on our performances and results but still write him off because Aberdeen managed to hang on to their lead over us by being jammy over a handful of games. As SN said, 3rd isn't the be all and end all. Playing significantly better and getting significantly better results is, even if we end up just missing out on 3rd.

FarmerTweedy
11 hours ago, DC_92 said:

We'll definitely have 3 home games.

1) Regardless of which teams end up in the top 6, they try to move things around to ensure teams get 19 home and 19 away. 3 home games would take us to 19.

2) If the above isn't possible, they will generally apply the disadvantage to the team with least to play for/lowest in the league (which was us in 17/18). This is fairly rare and I don't think it's happened since that season.

3) They also take into account teams which have been disadvantaged or advantaged by this in the past. As mentioned, we had a deficit of home games in 17/18.

None of that actually guarantees us 3 home games, although as I've said, it is extremely likely! 

FarmerTweedy
4 hours ago, Jim bett said:

Clear and concise? Didn’t exactly clear up the Snoddy issue, did he?

He cleared that up a couple of days ago.

19 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

I got integrity and honesty from that interview, he wasn’t going to slaughter Snoddgrass in front of a camera, but you can read between the lines, you’re a good player but a shit stirrer mate, so yer oot.

Now we move on and play with freedom. We have to be patient with our players when they make mistakes ( I know, I know) but, they will never feel free to show their talents if we are on their backs every minute of the game , AND on here.

I like the cut of Naismith I have to say, he talks very well and did even when a player. I really want him to do well, he definitely has the attributes to be a good manager but time will tell if it works out for him or not. If he manages to get us playing fast attacking football and does what he wants then if that is coupled with results I don't think anyone would have any concerns about him being appointed longer term. Tomorrow is a massive day for him personally as well as the club. If he can get one over them down at their place he will already be onto a good thing and it will bring some confidence and feel good factor back to the club. 

21 hours ago, MattyK82 said:

My take from this was that SN is trying to get back to basics and get the team enjoying their football again as opposed to putting too much focus on where we will finish - basically - enjoy your football, take it a game at a time and let’s see where we are at come the end of the season.

‘Not the be all and end all’ isn’t a statement many people will agree with. It’s simply not the case. It’s the whole reason we’ve made a switch with 7 games to go. I’m sure he didn’t mean it the way its come across and he knows how important it is.

‘yous have been coasting. That’s why you’ve lost the gap’ is much more what we need to hear. If he fixes that one thing, 3rd will happen IMO

On Snodgrass ‘easier for me’ I reckon because he knows Snodgrass is a strong character and maybe been over influential, he thinks this is a time for just the one strong dominant character around the place and that’s him (Naismith)

If he hasn’t got the message fully across and we don’t see a drastic change in attitude in the first 20 minutes tomorrow then those players are going to get slaughtered by the fans and someone (probably not Naismith) will have to root it out during the summer.

Very interesting first team selection tomorrow 

Edited by JimmyCant

16 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

‘Not the be all and end all’ isn’t a statement many people will agree with. It’s simply not the case. It’s the whole reason we’ve made a switch with 7 games to go. I’m sure he didn’t mean it the way its come across and he knows how important it is.

He knows what the expectations are. He also knows the players are fragile confidence wise and is trying to remove that by saying go out and enjoy your football. If he's worried about them being uptight, adding pressure onto the situation won't help and he knows that. Just playing the game.

12 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

He knows what the expectations are. He also knows the players are fragile confidence wise and is trying to remove that by saying go out and enjoy your football. If he's worried about them being uptight, adding pressure onto the situation won't help and he knows that. Just playing the game.

Feck the players and their fragile pussy cat confidence. If they can’t handle pressure on £3k a week there are loads of clubs paying the same or more where there is next to no pressure. I’m hoping what he meant by it is simply that you don’t coach players to get a league position, you coach them to win the next game, and the next and so on. If you do that someone else counts up the points and tell you where you finished. 

I’ve played at a few (lowish)levels back in the day. No one ever talked about league position or what we needed points wise to get a certain position. Most of the time we didn’t know where we were in the table or who was close to us etc etc. we knew when we were doing well and we knew when we were doing shite. Some guys didn’t know if we were playing a league game or a cup tie. They just turned up, tried their best and didn’t worry about the table. Position was secondary and we knew if we kept winning that we’d be high up. I hope that’s what he meant.

Edited by JimmyCant

All roads lead to Gorgie

You can tell by the way SN said Snodgrass " Was" a good player when both were team mates tells us he knows what all of us could see for weeks his legs had gone and was no longer an asset to the team. Snodgrass was probably still in denial about his failing fitness and his moaning at other players for his own failings is something Naismith realized will do nothing for our own confidence. I'm certain he knows third is vital for next seasons team building but it's sensible to not overly state it and give our rivals a further incentive. 

Edited by All roads lead to Gorgie

When you think about it for a bit,  to say it isn't the be-all-and-end-all to get 3rd is actually fairly astute.  

It was the be-all-and-end-all for two reasons.  We were clearly the 3rd best team.  We were already clear and had a comfortable cushion.  Unfortunately our run of defeats unhappily coincided with Aberdeen winning all their matches.  Fortunately The Shite have lost 4 in a row.  So very quickly,  the calculus of this season has changed whereby any European qualification is reasonable,  simply because it could have worked out worse and may yet do so.

Rescuing a European place = making the best of the calamity.  Rescuing 3rd = exceeding the current trajectory of the season.  It no longer matters what the state of affairs was 6 weeks ago.

7 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

You can tell by the way SN said Snodgrass " Was" a good player when both were team mates tells us he knows you what all of us could see for weeks his legs had gone and was no longer an asset to the team. Snodgrass was probably still in denial about his failing fitness and his moaning at other players for his own failings is something Naismith realized will do nothing for our own confidence. I'm certain he knows third is vital for next seasons team building but it's sensible to not overly state it and give our rivals a further incentive. 

Lets be totally honest here. The exact same argument you highlight could very well apply to Naismith in the lead up to him finally conceding that his playing days were over.

So the saying "it takes one to know one" may be appropriate in this instance. 😀

Edited by wavydavy

David McCaig
2 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Lets be totally honest here. The exact same argument you highlight could very well apply to Naismith in the lead up to him finally conceding that his playing days were over.

The key thing being that Naismith realised his legs had gone and voluntarily ended a lucrative contract which still had over 2 years to run.

All roads lead to Gorgie
10 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Lets be totally honest here. The exact same argument you highlight could very well apply to Naismith in the lead up to him finally conceding that his playing days were offer.

I agree and he has probably reflected on that and could see the writing on the wall for Snodgrass. It probably takes longer for players who have played in a bigger league than here to accept that the SPL is still tough to play in even if the quality leaves a lot to be desired a lot of the time, Berra was probably guilty of that too.

Edited by All roads lead to Gorgie
Spelling again

Lord Beni of Gorgie

My worry for Naisy, seems a pretty serious guy, that he struggles with expectations both of himself and others. No idea about McAvoy in truth, hoping he can be our Fun Time Frankie

Pasquale for King
20 hours ago, DC_92 said:

We'll definitely have 3 home games.

1) Regardless of which teams end up in the top 6, they try to move things around to ensure teams get 19 home and 19 away. 3 home games would take us to 19.

2) If the above isn't possible, they will generally apply the disadvantage to the team with least to play for/lowest in the league (which was us in 17/18). This is fairly rare and I don't think it's happened since that season.

3) They also take into account teams which have been disadvantaged or advantaged by this in the past. As mentioned, we had a deficit of home games in 17/18.

The way things pan out if the current teams are still in the top 6 will be interesting, Celtic are due 5 away and Rangers 5 home. 
As you say the team with least to play for is disadvantaged, but thats Rangers and the uglies are the only teams guaranteed 19 home games. Ideally we would be away to both of them and home to the others but who knows what they will come up with. 

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I agree and he has probably reflected on that and could see the writing on the wall for Snodgrass. It probably takes longer for players who have played in a bigger league than here to accept that the SPL is still tough to play in even if the quality leaves a lot to be desired a lot of the time, Berra was probably guilty of that too.

Its also hard to accept that some of your teammates wont be on the same wavelength as you, cajoling them as opposed to berating them all the time would work better. 
Something SN no doubt knows now too, different players need different methods to get the best out of them. 

17 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

The key thing being that Naismith realised his legs had gone and voluntarily ended a lucrative contract which still had over 2 years to run.

Did he? I thought we just changed him to a coach for the remainder of his contract?

I may be totally wrong though.

Im actually feeling quietly confident tbh. With the Snodgrass thing and hearing that there has been a good number of changes on the training field already, it looks like Naismith isnt scared to make big decisions and he isnt hanging about.

Thats so so important. Would be easy for him to come in and gradually try and change things but he is taking that win or bust mentality and at this point in the season, with 7 games to go, its probably very much the right call. 

The squad is already there imo ... If the players react and they want to put everything behind them, and move on, there is every chance we could come out the traps on Sat. 

If we do, I think the vermin will struggle against us.

Its all if's, buts and maybes at this stage but it will be interesting to see tactically, and personnel wise, if there are any notable changes. 

A win on Sat, Naisy is off to a great start. Aye the sheep have the momentum at this stage, but we have 2 winnable games coming up, and the sheep go to Ibrokes next week. 

Big few games for us and a potential 6 points. The uglies mince the sheep and RC take a draw off them .... Things can turn quickly in football. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Not worried about having to play Rangers and Celtic away, percentage chances, would rather have other 3 at home

The Treasurer
6 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Not worried about having to play Rangers and Celtic away, percentage chances, would rather have other 3 at home

Knowing our luck we would be at the tinkers yard the day they clinch the title ☹️

Pete Elliott
35 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

My worry for Naisy, seems a pretty serious guy, that he struggles with expectations both of himself and others. No idea about McAvoy in truth, hoping he can be our Fun Time Frankie

Naisy made a comment about McAvoy having a very different approach to him so he could well be 👍🏻

Re the Evening news partial interview with SN recently posted - Im maybe being naive here - but it sounds bl00dy good.....a malaise had set in a good bit prior to the poor results, as we were lucky to win a number of games with flattering scorelines. Something/s needed changed - none more than the tedious and very very predictable style of play. Finger crossed that SN get the best out of the players, as they are better than our set out negative tactics/gameplans gave them credence for. The lacking in confidence away from home grinding set up, inhibited some decent players from letting them play their own game (which you also need to factor in) Naismith speaks well - lets see if he can back it up 🤞

Training has been great this week. There has been a big change in atmosphere as hoped. The players are buzzing for tomorrow and confident of nothing other than a win. 

3 minutes ago, busbyfth said:

Re the Evening news partial interview with SN recently posted - Im maybe being naive here - but it sounds bl00dy good.....a malaise had set in a good bit prior to the poor results, as we were lucky to win a number of games with flattering scorelines. Something/s needed changed - none more than the tedious and very very predictable style of play. Finger crossed that SN get the best out of the players, as they are better than our set out negative tactics/gameplans gave them credence for. The lacking in confidence away from home grinding set up, inhibited some decent players from letting them play their own game (which you also need to factor in) Naismith speaks well - lets see if he can back it up 🤞

100%. He is also bouncing a lot of stuff off Steve Clarke and its important that he surrounds himself with people that have the experience and wilyness because there will be challenges, like any young manager, and for him. A lot of stuff he is saying is quite refreshing tbh. Early days but looks like he is throwing himself at it, and that might just be what we need at this moment in time. 

2 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Training has been great this week. There has been a big change in atmosphere as hoped. The players are buzzing for tomorrow and confident of nothing other than a win. 

Good to hear, i'm sure the usual backing they get at Easter hill will spur them on to another victory.

Big John Colquhoun
30 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

Im actually feeling quietly confident tbh. With the Snodgrass thing and hearing that there has been a good number of changes on the training field already, it looks like Naismith isnt scared to make big decisions and he isnt hanging about.

Thats so so important. Would be easy for him to come in and gradually try and change things but he is taking that win or bust mentality and at this point in the season, with 7 games to go, its probably very much the right call. 

The squad is already there imo ... If the players react and they want to put everything behind them, and move on, there is every chance we could come out the traps on Sat. 

If we do, I think the vermin will struggle against us.

Its all if's, buts and maybes at this stage but it will be interesting to see tactically, and personnel wise, if there are any notable changes. 

A win on Sat, Naisy is off to a great start. Aye the sheep have the momentum at this stage, but we have 2 winnable games coming up, and the sheep go to Ibrokes next week. 

Big few games for us and a potential 6 points. The uglies mince the sheep and RC take a draw off them .... Things can turn quickly in football. 

I like him, speaks well. Even as a player he was a student of the game, football intelligence about what was going on on the pitch. I wouldn’t mind giving him a chance at the big job, he’s a real professional and will set high standards. I just hope he isn’t a fan of playing a back 5.

4 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Great news. 👍

AlphonseCapone
50 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

That's maybe what was key for Naismith around this decision, reflecting on his own situation at that time. It's much easier to see things in hindsight and Snodgrass might be where he was at that time and can't see the writing was on the wall. Naismith did get there with that though. 

Both Naismith and Snodgrass have high expectations and are on a higher wave length football wise than most of their teammates at Hearts. That can be tough to deal with. Especially when your own body can't keep up. There are definitely parallels in how both were on the park with other players but I wonder if Naismith coaching younger lads has given him a new perspective and patience working with those less able than you and he sees the impact of Snodgrass' attitude on the park in a different light to how he would have at the end of his own career. 

2 minutes ago, Big John Colquhoun said:

I like him, speaks well. Even as a player he was a student of the game, football intelligence about what was going on on the pitch. I wouldn’t mind giving him a chance at the big job, he’s a real professional and will set high standards. I just hope he isn’t a fan of playing a back 5.

He is already saying he is making a lot of changes starting on the pitch, getting players confident again, and doing things instinctively rather than spending to long thinking about what to do.

He will be learning a hell of a lot under SC as well. That is top level coaching, Setting training drills to combat the likes of Spain! Not everyone will be capable of that type of thing. As long as he surrounds himself with the right type of people, he will be fine. 

He can be a niggly, moany wee sod, but Im hoping our players get a bit more niggly and moany as well. As long as its channeled the right way. 

Thought it was a good touch as well (whatever your thoughts) he mentioned oor Robbie and just said that he had a lot to thank him for and as time moves on, he hoped that he would be remembered for taking us back up to the SPL, getting Europe and a few cup finals. Humble lad and thats important as well. 

Onwards and upwards from here. 

16 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

100%. He is also bouncing a lot of stuff off Steve Clarke and its important that he surrounds himself with people that have the experience and wilyness because there will be challenges, like any young manager, and for him. A lot of stuff he is saying is quite refreshing tbh. Early days but looks like he is throwing himself at it, and that might just be what we need at this moment in time. 

Aye and I think well in advance Clarke has probably said to him "WTF is Snodgrass all about?  He's your problem". 

He's made a statement to the squad with a very big early decision, it's 100% the first thing I'd have done.

1 hour ago, David McCaig said:

Very true and Naismith just like Snodgrass as a senior player also moaned and groaned to his team-mates often when the fault lay with him and not the players he was shouting at.

1 minute ago, wavydavy said:

Very true and Naismith just like Snodgrass as a senior player also moaned and groaned to his team-mates often when the fault lay with him and not the players he was shouting at.

Naismith was not frightened to get into match officials faces over contentious decisions going against us. That’s something that has been missing for some time on the pitch.  I hope that the team becomes far more aggressive and takes the game to our opposition no matter who they are, rather than some of the passive stuff we have seen even at home for some time. 

1 hour ago, Hearts1975 said:

Aye the sheep have the momentum at this stage, but we have 2 winnable games coming up, and the sheep go to Ibrokes next week. 

It's not at Ibrox; they're away to Ross County tonight then home to Rangers next week.

28 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

That's maybe what was key for Naismith around this decision, reflecting on his own situation at that time. It's much easier to see things in hindsight and Snodgrass might be where he was at that time and can't see the writing was on the wall. Naismith did get there with that though. 

Both Naismith and Snodgrass have high expectations and are on a higher wave length football wise than most of their teammates at Hearts. That can be tough to deal with. Especially when your own body can't keep up. There are definitely parallels in how both were on the park with other players but I wonder if Naismith coaching younger lads has given him a new perspective and patience working with those less able than you and he sees the impact of Snodgrass' attitude on the park in a different light to how he would have at the end of his own career. 

I agree totally and think the highlighted part of your reply is key.

It is also interesting that he comments on the importance of having someone like MacAvoy assisting him who has a different viewpoint to him on certain aspects of his coaching and sees that as crucial.

MacAvoy will see things he doesn't and point them out to him which can only be a good thing.

2 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Naismith was not frightened to get into match officials faces over contentious decisions going against us. That’s something that has been missing for some time on the pitch.  I hope that the team becomes far more aggressive and takes the game to our opposition no matter who they are, rather than some of the passive stuff we have seen even at home for some time. 

Maybe that was because Robbie was doing all the moaning at the officials from the touchline and the players didn't see the need.

I get your point and we need more aggression and fight from the players but not being silly and getting red cards.

5 minutes ago, GC81 said:

It's not at Ibrox; they're away to Ross County tonight then home to Rangers next week.

Ah. Ok. Thought they were away. 

Hopefully they still get pumped though. 

My mistake. 

19 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Aye and I think well in advance Clarke has probably said to him "WTF is Snodgrass all about?  He's your problem". 

He's made a statement to the squad with a very big early decision, it's 100% the first thing I'd have done.

Im no too sure on that one tbh. Bit of me thinks that Naisy might have been advised internally to make the call ?

Just thinking if there was any underlying problems with Snodgrass.

Could be wrong and you might very well be spot on. 

Could very well be that Naisy thought SG had too much of the wrong influence in that dressing room.

5 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Maybe that was because Robbie was doing all the moaning at the officials from the touchline and the players didn't see the need.

I get your point and we need more aggression and fight from the players but not being silly and getting red cards.

True -  it watch the Old Firm, Aberdeen and even St Mirren. They question the officials all the time. We’ve been just a bit passive in that respect for a while.  Yes, Neilson regularly had a go at the 4th Official and regularly got carded or sent to the stand for his efforts. 

4 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

Im no too sure on that one tbh. Bit of me thinks that Naisy might have been advised internally to make the call ?

Just thinking if there was any underlying problems with Snodgrass.

Could be wrong and you might very well be spot on. 

Could very well be that Naisy thought SG had too much of the wrong influence in that dressing room.

There were a few rumblings that Snodgrass was having too big an influence on Robbie and his tactics not to mention who was being played or NOT PLAYED.

6 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

There were a few rumblings that Snodgrass was having too big an influence on Robbie and his tactics not to mention who was being played or NOT PLAYED.

Heard that as well and very dissapointing if true.

Buck would lie ultimately with Robbie but this is also a so called professional football player and someone who has played at a high level. You would have expected better .... if its true of course. 

Between the 2 of them you would think they would both see whatever it was that they were trying to do wasnt working.

Mind you, Snodgrass was constantly going on about it in the press that the players around him had to "trust" him, and keep giving him the ball, so there might very well be some truth in what your saying.