Naismith, Forrest and McAvoy to end of the season ( updated/merged )

Thomaso

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 minutes ago, Pete Elliott said:

We’ve sacked him mate. You can also tell him to stop squatting in your head now 👍🏻

Boab Snoreson’s Barmy Army

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soonbe110

• Fozzyonthefence

• Thomaso

• Pasquale for King

Dusk_Till_Dawn
10 minutes ago, Pete Elliott said:

You too? Kick him to the kerb 👍🏻

Nah, I’ll be following the legend in his next gig at Cowdenbeath 

Pete Elliott
Just now, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Nah, I’ll be following the legend in his next gig at Cowdenbeath 

You do that. In the meantime keep fighting the good fight ✊🏻

1 hour ago, Flimsy said:

I'm not the biggest Naismith fan (I can't explain it, I just can't take to him). However, if he secures 3rd place I would be happy if we offered him a one year contract as manager. One year because it's clear from the CE that any manager needs to secure 3rd place to remain in post.

No way would any manager whether it’s his first job or not would accept a one year deal, possibly a one year rolling contract 

Hearts would have more respect for Naismith to only offer him a year, especially if has hit the ground running and gets us to third.

Hes not a mug, he will be well aware what’s he’s worth

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 hour ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

It reminds me of what Cathro said when he got the job... 

im pretty sure that is cathro

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

Came over really well in that video. 

Annoying isn't it. Hated him as a player but he does seem pretty level headed as a manager.

Thought Naisy came across really well. Young lads maybe in with a shout of some decent game time. Real shame Pollock is injured, as I'm sure he'd be in every match day squad.

Excited to see how we get on at the weekend, big game but weirdly confident in Naismith. I know LJ has experienced a few derbys already as manager, but regardless inclined to back us for this one (more than just backing as a fan I mean). 

17 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

No way would any manager whether it’s his first job or not would accept a one year deal, possibly a one year rolling contract 

Hearts would have more respect for Naismith to only offer him a year, especially if has hit the ground running and gets us to third.

Hes not a mug, he will be well aware what’s he’s worth

Ange Postecoglu has a one year rolling contract. Hearts should learn from unnecessarily giving Neilson the contract extension last year. If the goal is short-term I.e. euro group stage we'd be daft handing out long term contracts to a manager in case they fail at the first hurdle. 

45 minutes ago, OTT said:

Thought Naisy came across really well. Young lads maybe in with a shout of some decent game time. Real shame Pollock is injured, as I'm sure he'd be in every match day squad.

Excited to see how we get on at the weekend, big game but weirdly confident in Naismith. I know LJ has experienced a few derbys already as manager, but regardless inclined to back us for this one (more than just backing as a fan I mean). 

Pollock isn't injured, he's back involved with the B team. Played 90 minutes last night.

5 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Pollock isn't injured, he's back involved with the B team. Played 90 minutes last night.

Superb! I'd heard he was injured but wasn't sure for how long etc.

Great news, I was gutted we didn't get to see him build on his assist in the Fiorentina game(?) Maybe we might see him get a shot. 

HeartsandonlyHearts
16 minutes ago, OTT said:

Superb! I'd heard he was injured but wasn't sure for how long etc.

Great news, I was gutted we didn't get to see him build on his assist in the Fiorentina game(?) Maybe we might see him get a shot. 

Think his assist came against the Turkish team.

Either way we need to be bringing through one youngster every 2/3 years as starters. Sink or swim. Good enough/old enough.

If he gets us 3rd and it’s clear we are playing better football then I think the job is his. We have difficult games away to OF, home to OF, derby, Aberdeen and a couple of other top 6 teams. With the exception of hibs games, all games RN struggled in and where we need to see improvement. 

Also, I really don’t want a manager from Scotland, nobody down south currently inspires me, so then you are looking at a foreign manager. Will be a big risk that may be worth it, but also could go the other way. Will be a massive gamble and I know some fans want us to go down this route which is what I think we will do if SN doesn’t get it. My thinking is if SN does well in these tricky games then it will be enough and less of a gamble than appointing a foreign manager. 

No offence to our new boss but until I see it on the pitch I’m struggling to get past; I’ll believe it when I see it, for weeks we heard various players from this squad tell us a one thing and do the opposite. If Naisy can get this lot to play like that then maybe we should just give him the job now. 

6 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

No offence to our new boss but until I see it on the pitch I’m struggling to get past; I’ll believe it when I see it, for weeks we heard various players from this squad tell us a one thing and do the opposite. If Naisy can get this lot to play like that then maybe we should just give him the job now. 

I hear you, plenty have talked a good game, but ultimately its what happens on Saturday that matters.

Its a trial by fire, but I think Naisy has a strong personality and is the type to thrive in that sort of environment. BUT we'll see, no guarantees. Cathro had an absolutely first class reputation as a coach, but in the hot seat he folded like a house of cards. 

I'm excited though. 

I really hope SN gets a tune out of the players. 

Seems like he could be a good motivator but maybe the guys need a bit of an arm around them because confidence will be low.

Unknown user
4 hours ago, Hansel said:

I really hope SN gets a tune out of the players. 

Seems like he could be a good motivator but maybe the guys need a bit of an arm around them because confidence will be low.

I'm hopeful about Naismith. I saw an interview where he talked about his dyslexia as a kid. It made him dread reading in front of the class, so to get round it he would read ahead and get to know what was coming.

That kind of problem solving early on clearly shaped him, he had an almost Scholes like ability to sell the whole stadium a dummy and find an unexpected ball or way out. I think he's cued up to always be thinking of alternative solutions and I hope it'll transfer well to management.

3 hours ago, Smithee said:

I'm hopeful about Naismith. I saw an interview where he talked about his dyslexia as a kid. It made him dread reading in front of the class, so to get round it he would read ahead and get to know what was coming.

That kind of problem solving early on clearly shaped him, he had an almost Scholes like ability to sell the whole stadium a dummy and find an unexpected ball or way out. I think he's cued up to always be thinking of alternative solutions and I hope it'll transfer well to management.

As am I. He knows the game inside out and I’m sure that he’ll succeed. When he took on the coaching role with us I always knew that one day he’d manage the team. 

I hear that the atmosphere with the players has improved markedly since the week end. It’s as if a cloud has lifted from them.  Let’s hope that this all heralds a new dawn and it transmits into a positive display and a great result on Saturday. FTH.

Rocky jamboa

Really good first interview by Naismith. He comes across as being really enthusiastic, wants to play entertaining football, and good to heat that he wants to give the kids more of a chance.  Guys like Pollock and Connor Smith should have played more than they have.

He was always good at talking and organising on the pitch as a player so you could see then he had managerial qualities. He's got all the right attributes to have a good managerial career. 

I think he will make a massive difference in our last few games and more confident that we can achieve 3rd now. Can actually see him getting the job on a permanent basis and think he'll do a good job with us.

Good interview from Naismith.  Saying and delivering are two different things, but at least he's got the first bit spot on.

Possibly one of the most anticipated first team selections on Saturday for a long time.

Difficult not to be impressed by SN interview, easy to see why Steve Clarke has quickly taken him on board. The way Scotland took on and beat Spain recently would not be a bad model for us to take forward, granted it is difficult to compare. But it is a lot more simple for players to take on board and even enjoy. Hopefully we will see our players driving forward instead of looking for a pass the buck safe ball, taking opponents on, winning individual battles, closing down, having a pop at goal, attacking the ball in defensive situations. All the things that have been missing. Lets get behind it and play our part.

30 minutes ago, Skacelsid said:

Difficult not to be impressed by SN interview, easy to see why Steve Clarke has quickly taken him on board. The way Scotland took on and beat Spain recently would not be a bad model for us to take forward, granted it is difficult to compare. But it is a lot more simple for players to take on board and even enjoy. Hopefully we will see our players driving forward instead of looking for a pass the buck safe ball, taking opponents on, winning individual battles, closing down, having a pop at goal, attacking the ball in defensive situations. All the things that have been missing. Lets get behind it and play our part.

I'm not a coach.  Honest.  Well actually I am, but 10 yearold girls a bit different to pro athletes (in some ways!)

But surely being a good coach is about getting the best out of your players - yes, round players out and improve all the parts of their game, but show them their strengths and help them utilise it.

So, in very simple terms, the fact that Barrie and Gino very rarely run at pace with the ball, really drive at people, is a failure.

I really hope that SN is spending time with guys like these two drilling it in to them that it needs to become instinct to receive ball and go.  Of course, decsion making comes in to it, its not actually EVERY time they get the ball, but the number of times this is on and we turn it down to pass inside or back is astonishing.  We became so hellbent on possession (or "control") that we lost the edge imo.  I'd rather the theory was, aye I might lose it but me and my teammates will win it back within a couple of secs anyway, so nae worries.  Robbie had us doing that at points last season, which is the shame that we lost it.  I think the injuries etc really affected him and his confidence in what we could do in that respect.

33 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

I'm not a coach.  Honest.  Well actually I am, but 10 yearold girls a bit different to pro athletes (in some ways!)

But surely being a good coach is about getting the best out of your players - yes, round players out and improve all the parts of their game, but show them their strengths and help them utilise it.

So, in very simple terms, the fact that Barrie and Gino very rarely run at pace with the ball, really drive at people, is a failure.

I really hope that SN is spending time with guys like these two drilling it in to them that it needs to become instinct to receive ball and go.  Of course, decsion making comes in to it, its not actually EVERY time they get the ball, but the number of times this is on and we turn it down to pass inside or back is astonishing.  We became so hellbent on possession (or "control") that we lost the edge imo.  I'd rather the theory was, aye I might lose it but me and my teammates will win it back within a couple of secs anyway, so nae worries.  Robbie had us doing that at points last season, which is the shame that we lost it.  I think the injuries etc really affected him and his confidence in what we could do in that respect.

Spot on, BigO......hopefully we see a "new" Gino and Barrie let loose on Saturday 

Clerry Jambo

Loved wee Naisy as a player and he was a very good player for his clubs. Saying the right things but ultimately and he knows results will only matter for him in terms of getting the job.

Players really need to step up and be counted, wins are never guaranteed but surely performances will and need to improve, we are coming from a low base after all

ScottieMac17

I hope he does well. I loved him as a player, I think he was outstanding before his last injury for us.

Imo he will need to win almost every game and get us playing well to be in with a chance of the job next season. We really cant afford to give him a preseason and then replace him next season. 

I am also hoping he avoids wearing a tracksuit on the touch line, I like hearts managers to dress well hahaha, shows some classiness.

31 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

My take from this was that SN is trying to get back to basics and get the team enjoying their football again as opposed to putting too much focus on where we will finish - basically - enjoy your football, take it a game at a time and let’s see where we are at come the end of the season.

Horatio Caine
1 hour ago, ScottieMac17 said:

I hope he does well. I loved him as a player, I think he was outstanding before his last injury for us.

Imo he will need to win almost every game and get us playing well to be in with a chance of the job next season. We really cant afford to give him a preseason and then replace him next season. 

I am also hoping he avoids wearing a tracksuit on the touch line, I like hearts managers to dress well hahaha, shows some classiness.

Yeah, like McPhee in his three piece suit?

1 hour ago, ScottieMac17 said:

If he can get the team playing and winning again, he can wear a mankini for all I care 🤣😂

He knows fine well, you enjoy playing, you play free, you don't think, it'll flow, you'll punish teams, you'll win games.

I totally expect the pace of play to have changed.

Bordeaux 03

It's pretty obvious that Naismith can't say finishing 3rd is everything because he doesn't want to be judged on that when going for the job permanently. 

Edited by Bordeaux 03

RustyRightPeg
37 minutes ago, MattyK82 said:

My take from this was that SN is trying to get back to basics and get the team enjoying their football again as opposed to putting too much focus on where we will finish - basically - enjoy your football, take it a game at a time and let’s see where we are at come the end of the season.

Exactly that. 

Naismith's job for now is to coach / manage the team. That means going for 3 points every game........3rd place will take care of itself if the results go our way.

Edited by Hashimoto

56 minutes ago, Bordeaux 03 said:

It's pretty obvious that Naismith can't say finishing 3rd is everything because he doesn't want to be judged on that when going for the job permanently. 

Absolutely, he has a seven game contract. He can blather on about confidence and promoting youth but for him it is the be all and end all. 

2 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

First interview, that isn’t in-house, as interim manager and I think that comes across in that interview.

Hopefully relaxes as the weeks go by and he gets used to it but I can’t say I was hugely impressed by the way he spoke.

Win our games and I couldn’t give a **** mind you. 

Luckies1874
1 hour ago, Bordeaux 03 said:

11 minutes ago, Flimsy said:

Absolutely, he has a seven game contract. He can blather on about confidence and promoting youth but for him it is the be all and end all. 

And end convo. Nothing matters other than 3rd. Gets that and he gives himself a chance of the job and implementing some of the bigger ideas he mentions. Don't get 3rd and the best he can hope is the opportunity to return to his old role or possibly be part of another managers coaching staff.

davemclaren
6 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

And end convo. Nothing matters other than 3rd. Gets that and he gives himself a chance of the job and implementing some of the bigger ideas he mentions. Don't get 3rd and the best he can hope is the opportunity to return to his old role or possibly be part of another managers coaching staff.

I think getting third gets him the job but I think there are other scenarios that would give him a great chance of remaining, such as taking it to the last day of the season and finishing 4th just a point behind 3rd for example. I also think how the 'unbalanced' final 5 fixtures impact us and our competitors for third could be a big factor in how it all plays out.  

Luckies1874
2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I think getting third gets him the job but I think there are other scenarios that would give him a great chance of remaining, such as taking it to the last day of the season and finishing 4th just a point behind 3rd for example. I also think how the 'unbalanced' final 5 fixtures impact us and our competitors for third could be a big factor in how it all plays out.  

I get what you are saying but I don't see it. I think Andrew McKinlay has been so open about how big 3rd is that anything else for this season is failure. I don't see then giving it to Naismith if he hasn't achieved that but I could be wrong. 

We won't be disadvantaged over anyone else for the 5 fixtures. We are going to have 3 home games one of which will be against Aberdeen. Whether it's a must win may come down to what happens in the 2 games pre split! I still think it's unlikely anyone takes much off the Old Firm and they have 3 of 7 against them.

davemclaren
5 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

I get what you are saying but I don't see it. I think Andrew McKinlay has been so open about how big 3rd is that anything else for this season is failure. I don't see then giving it to Naismith if he hasn't achieved that but I could be wrong. 

We won't be disadvantaged over anyone else for the 5 fixtures. We are going to have 3 home games one of which will be against Aberdeen. Whether it's a must win may come down to what happens in the 2 games pre split! I still think it's unlikely anyone takes much off the Old Firm and they have 3 of 7 against them.

Are we guaranteed three home games? I thought it depends on what teams end up there as we have ended up with one less home game than others before. 

Luckies1874
Just now, davemclaren said:

Are we guaranteed three home games? I thought it depends on what teams end up there as we have ended up with one less home game than others before. 

Yes we are guaranteed it after finishing 3rd last season. What could be in question is who we play but I've heard that both Celtic and Aberdeen are certainties. Hibs would be the other team if they are top 6 but of course we are hoping to inflict damage, that would put that in jeopardy, on Saturday! 

If it's the current top 6 then it will almost definitely mean we have Celtic, Aberdeen and Hibs at home with Rangers and St Mirren away.

davemclaren
1 minute ago, Luckies1874 said:

Yes we are guaranteed it after finishing 3rd last season. What could be in question is who we play but I've heard that both Celtic and Aberdeen are certainties. Hibs would be the other team if they are top 6 but of course we are hoping to inflict damage, that would put that in jeopardy, on Saturday! 

If it's the current top 6 then it will almost definitely mean we have Celtic, Aberdeen and Hibs at home with Rangers and St Mirren away.

Fair enough. I didn't realise that last season's ranking influenced the decision. 

2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

We'll definitely have 3 home games.

1) Regardless of which teams end up in the top 6, they try to move things around to ensure teams get 19 home and 19 away. 3 home games would take us to 19.

2) If the above isn't possible, they will generally apply the disadvantage to the team with least to play for/lowest in the league (which was us in 17/18). This is fairly rare and I don't think it's happened since that season.

3) They also take into account teams which have been disadvantaged or advantaged by this in the past. As mentioned, we had a deficit of home games in 17/18.

David McCaig
45 minutes ago, Squirt said:

First interview, that isn’t in-house, as interim manager and I think that comes across in that interview.

Hopefully relaxes as the weeks go by and he gets used to it but I can’t say I was hugely impressed by the way he spoke.

Win our games and I couldn’t give a **** mind you. 

Personally, I thought he came across brilliantly.