Veggie Rationing

That thing you do

That thing you do

Friends in Mexico couldnt believe supermarkets in UK rationing veggies.

Never happens here

How the actual f.... did it get to that?

#3rdWorldUK

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• il Duce McTarkin

• Nucky Thompson

• Pasquale for King

• periodictabledancer

il Duce McTarkin
3 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Seemingly some people don’t have any problem sourcing their 5-a-day, so the problem doesn’t exist.:vrface:

Have you had any trouble sourcing your 5 a day?

WorldChampions1902
9 minutes ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

Have you had any trouble sourcing your 5 a day?

Do you accept there is a problem here, created yet again, by Brexit?

il Duce McTarkin
1 minute ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

I accept that there is a problem created by a combination of issues including Brexit. Now, have you been unable to source your 5 a day?

1 minute ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

There's an inconvenience, not a problem per se imo.

That doesn't excuse that it's completely unnecessary and self-inflicted due to idiocy.

WorldChampions1902
1 minute ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

I accept that there is a problem created by a combination of issues including Brexit. Now, have you been unable to source your 5 a day?

My dietary considerations are none of your business.

WorldChampions1902
1 minute ago, Taffin said:

That doesn't excuse that it's completely unnecessary and self-inflicted due to idiocy.

Is the correct answer.

il Duce McTarkin
6 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

My dietary considerations are none of your business.

So to sumarise, this current shortage has been of no inconvenience to you. Cheers.

8 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Wrong answer. You should be running around in circles waving your arms in the air proclaiming a national disaster and contemplating the rapture.

11 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Also partly true.

il Duce McTarkin

I'd imagine that reducing imports whilst increasing domestic production and eating seasonally would go a way to reducing our collective carbon footprint.

Can anybody who actually knows about these things put me right?

il Duce McTarkin
3 minutes ago, escobri said:

Going by the nick of the majority kickback, I doubt many will notice a shortage of veg. 

:interehjrling:

To be fair if I was in Mexico I’d probably be too busy worrying about having one of the highest murder rates in the world and half the country being run by drug cartels to be concerned about someone in Britain only being able to buy 3 cucumbers in one go. 

Edited by moogsy

5 minutes ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

I'd imagine that reducing imports whilst increasing domestic production and eating seasonally would go a way to reducing our collective carbon footprint.

Can anybody who actually knows about these things put me right?

Absolutely.

We should all be eating local, organic and seasonal produce.

But that's a long term goal.

In the short term, the UK's self imposed economic sanctions have once again bitten it on the bum.

Edited by Cade

That thing you do
9 minutes ago, moogsy said:

To be fair if I was in Mexico I’d probably be too busy worrying about having one of the highest murder rates in the world and half the country being run by drug cartels to be concerned about someone in Britain only being able to buy 3 cucumbers in one go. 

Im not, because Mexico is a ****ing huge place and none of that is anywhere near me. Its not half the country either. The Murder rates are highest with police chiefs, judges and politicians none of which I am allowed to be. An average Scotsman is not their target market.

And Im not worried about people going veggieless more curious how the **** that happened in a so called first world country. Its a forum for opinions and debate/banter after all.

Edited by That thing you do

The Real Maroonblood
9 minutes ago, moogsy said:

It depends on what you use the cucumber for.:10900:

Just now, That thing you do said:

Im not, because Mexico is a ****ing huge place and none of that is anywhere near me. Its not half the country either. The Murder rates are highest with police chiefs, judges and politicians none of which I am allowed to be. An average Scotsman is not their target market.

And Im not worries about people going veggieless moe curious how the **** that happened in a so called first world country. Its a forum for opinions and debate/banter after all.

To be fair I was being slightly tongue in cheek and over dramatic. 

But then so is saying the UK is a 3rd world country because there’s a slight shortage of cucumbers and tomatoes 😂

That thing you do
3 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

I had no idea Brexit controlled the weather as well 

Maybe it does? All the hot air rising from Brexiteers may cause adverse weather?

It does **** up the import, distribution and people needed though. If the weather played ball there may be a fair bit of rotting veggies about, who knows.

That thing you do

1 minute ago, moogsy said:

To be fair I was being slightly tongue in cheek and over dramatic. 

But then so is saying the UK is a 3rd world country because there’s a slight shortage of cucumbers and tomatoes 😂

Fair enough. But throw in the pensions, transport system and broken Government and outright Govt corruption (Grayling and Ships springs to mind) its starting to look a bit more like it though....

manaliveits105

There has been adverse weather conditions for growing throughout Europe in recent months resulting in poor crops that is the main reason for shortages whilst supermarkets look to other avenues of supply some further afield 

There are shortages through Europe which is obviously the Tories fault 

WorldChampions1902
3 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

Maybe it does? All the hot air rising from Brexiteers may cause adverse weather?

It does **** up the import, distribution and people needed though. If the weather played ball there may be a fair bit of rotting veggies about, who knows.

Today, the former CEO of Sainsbury’s has responded to the latest “Brexit benefit” fresh produce shortage debacle by saying, the food sector has been, “hurt horribly by Brexit”.

No doubt, there will be those on here who think he doesn’t know what he’s talking about. If you fall into that category, this is for you. :facepalm:

Jeffros Furios
24 minutes ago, escobri said:

Going by the nick of the majority of customers last time I was in asda, I doubt many will notice a shortage of veg. 

It's part of the great reset and globalists .

il Duce McTarkin
16 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Today, the former CEO of Sainsbury’s has responded to the latest “Brexit benefit” fresh produce shortage debacle by saying, the food sector has been, “hurt horribly by Brexit”.

No doubt, there will be those on here who think he doesn’t know what he’s talking about. If you fall into that category, this is for you. :facepalm:

Just about every sector has been negatively affected by Brexit, apart from the perenially pessemistic internet windbag sector, obviously, which is positively booming.

Folk would be a lot less inclined to doom and gloom if they nipped out to the supermarket and made sure they got their 5 a day.

Edited by Dirk McTarkin

People seem, in the whole,to have stopped growing their own veg', Greenhouses and veg' gardens are a thing of the past, shame really.

il Duce McTarkin
1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

People seem, in the whole,to have stopped growing their own veg', Greenhouses and veg' gardens are a thing of the past, shame really.

I blame the woke, hemp clothing wearing, vegans for stockpiling all the supermarket fruit and veg.

27 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

Fair enough. But throw in the pensions, transport system and broken Government and outright Govt corruption (Grayling and Ships springs to mind) its starting to look a bit more like it though....

Maybe Grayling is responsible the absent Scottish ferries too?

:levein_interesting:

3 minutes ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

I blame the woke, hemp clothing wearing, vegans for stockpiling all the supermarket fruit and veg.

😅

I was just musing how my grandparents, and about 75% of Rosewell growing up,  whould be laughing at this sort of thing wouldn't really effect them as they grew their own, zero food miles and all that; you'd think it'd be being pushed by the Greens and other parties.

That thing you do
1 minute ago, Korky said:

Maybe Grayling is responsible the absent Scottish ferries too?

:levein_interesting:

At least the SG gave a contract for shipping to a business that actually built and has ships!

Grayling managed to give 180million to a company that had no ships at all, but coincidentally was a business belonging to Tory party mate and donor.

Ferguson might be late, but they do at least exist and have ships!

WorldChampions1902
10 minutes ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

Just about every sector has been negatively affected by Brexit, apart from the perenially pessemistic internet windbag sector, obviously, which is positively booming.

Folk would be a lot less inclined to doom and gloom if they nipped out to the supermarket and made sure they got their 5 a day.

Finally on the “Brexit is Bo**ocks bus”.

Got there in the end.

3 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

At least the SG gave a contract for shipping to a business that actually built and has ships!

Grayling managed to give 180million to a company that had no ships at all, but coincidentally was a business belonging to Tory party mate and donor.

Ferguson might be late, but they do at least exist and have ships!

Why bring this up in the ‘veggie’ thread?

il Duce McTarkin
18 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

😅

I was just musing how my grandparents, and about 75% of Rosewell growing up,  whould be laughing at this sort of thing wouldn't really effect them as they grew their own, zero food miles and all that; you'd think it'd be being pushed by the Greens and other parties.

Mine too. I always remeber how sweet the garden peas were. I bet the folk that moved into their old house are still howking tatties out that garden 30 years later.

I've put in 3 fruit trees and grow mint for the summer mojitos, but no veg so far. Probably should tbf.

il Duce McTarkin
17 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Finally on the “Brexit is Bo**ocks bus”.

Got there in the end.

Voted remain and been on it from the start. 

il Duce McTarkin
12 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

“BeXiT DOesN’t cOnTrOL dA WevvER”

:cornette:

They grow tomatoes and that in the Canary Islands, bud. I'd expect them to keep a few back for themselves.

If there was a shortage of Tennent's lager do you think that we'd be sending them any? 

I reckon Brexit to blame for many reasons. Have UK gov matched EU funding for our farmers yet? And do we have enough fruit pickers after all the EU seasonal workers ****ed off?

That thing you do
3 minutes ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

They grow tomatoes and that in the Canary Islands, bud. I'd expect them to keep a few back for themselves.

If there was a shortage of Tennent's lager do you think that we'd be sending them any? 

Tennents is fire water - horrid stuff...so Aye, Id like to think we would.

5 minutes ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

Don't they bring in the majority of their fruit and veg from Spain and Morocco?

Is there even much arable land in the Canaries?

The shortage absolutely isn’t “Europe-wide”: there’s no problem at all getting whatever fruit and veg you want - including tomatoes, peppers, & cucumbers - in Andalucía at the moment. No shortages of anything in fact.

Much of the agricultural produce which the UK used to import from Spain now comes from Morocco and it is because of this that the recent poor weather in the region has played a part. However, given that we now import the bulk of such goods from Morocco rather than Spain, Brexit has got to be regarded as the main factor in this.

Edited by Auld Reekin'

43 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Those buggers with greenhouses have a lot to answer for.  Have you not heard that 'greenhouse gasses' will be the ruination of the planet?

il Duce McTarkin
1 minute ago, Smithee said:

Don't they bring in the majority of their fruit and veg from Spain and Morocco?

Is there even much arable land in the Canaries?

Incredibly fertile volcanic soils and hydroponics, smithee. I thought you'd be familiar with such techniques.