Veggie Rationing

That thing you do

1 minute ago, Jamstomorrow said:

Those buggers with greenhouses have a lot to answer for.  Have you not heard that 'greenhouse gasses' will be the ruination of the planet?

****in hippies!!

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• il Duce McTarkin

• Nucky Thompson

• Pasquale for King

• periodictabledancer

1 minute ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

Incredibly fertile volcanic soils and hydroponics, smithee. I thought you'd be familiar with such techniques.

I've read that they're a net importer of veg though, and rely on Morocco and Spain.

All roads lead to Gorgie

All we need to do is head over to Glasgow, should be a surplice there 😉

5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I've read that they're a net importer of veg though, and rely on Morocco and Spain.

And now I've read that although agriculture is only 10% of GDP, surplus tomatoes are indeed exported to Europe.

2 hours ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Do you accept there is a problem here, created yet again, by Brexit?

Wasn't this caused by the weather? Or is that a conspiracy?

periodictabledancer
1 hour ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

I'd imagine that reducing imports whilst increasing domestic production and eating seasonally would go a way to reducing our collective carbon footprint.

Can anybody who actually knows about these things put me right?

What's the point of increasing domestic production when it can't be picked ?

https://www.hortidaily.com/article/9356017/uk-thanet-earth-had-to-trash-ps320k-of-food-produce-due-to-lack-of-workers/

il Duce McTarkin
22 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Veg mibbie, but that video that Hogfather posted showed shelves rammed with fruit.

16 minutes ago, Smithee said:

And now I've read that although agriculture is only 10% of GDP, surplus tomatoes are indeed exported to Europe.

:thumbsup:

I'd imagine that reducing imports whilst increasing domestic production and eating seasonally would go a way to reducing our collective carbon footprint.

I dont disagree with that approach but it might be an idea to have some sort of “transition” whilst we take back all those fields that Persimmon Homes have sprouted up on to actually grow some veg here!

Nucky Thompson

Couldn't give a shit to be honest.

Now if the weather had caused a shortage of coffee or chocolate, I'd be waving my arms in the air with a big red face blaming Brexit 

WorldChampions1902
14 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

I suggest you read my earlier post on The Brexit thread. 

Edited by WorldChampions1902

14 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Partly yes but people can’t chuck their brexit toys out the pram over the weather. 

4 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Couldn't give a shit to be honest.

Now if the weather had caused a shortage of coffee or chocolate, I'd be waving my arms in the air with a big red face blaming Brexit 

:yadayada: Like this :D

Just now, Dazo said:

Partly yes but people can’t chuck their brexit toys out the pram over the weather. 

Weather only seems to affect the UK supermarkets somehow. Plenty tomatoes in European stores!

How can this be I wonder???

Pasquale for King

It will hopefully lead to something like WW2 when the Germans cut off the UK and they had to grow their own, apparently the UK has never been healthier. 
As DM said it should help the carbon footprint also. 
Saw some suit on Sky news saying they delayed planting because of the cost so there will be a glut come April and May. 
The stuff about Spain all lies. 

9D4C9A8B-F4FC-41A4-8044-E476716B04F7.jpeg

Just now, Pans Jambo said:

Weather only seems to affect the UK supermarkets somehow. Plenty tomatoes in European stores!

I didn’t say brexit wasn’t part of the problem but the shortage starts with the colder than usual weather. Just isn’t that big a deal, we’ll get through it. 

WorldChampions1902
2 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

No tomato rationing in  Northern Ireland either. :interehjrling:

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It will hopefully lead to something like WW2 when the Germans cut off the UK and they had to grow their own, apparently the UK has never been healthier. 
As DM said it should help the carbon footprint also. 
Saw some suit on Sky news saying they delayed planting because of the cost so there will be a glut come April and May. 
The stuff about Spain all lies. 

9D4C9A8B-F4FC-41A4-8044-E476716B04F7.jpeg

Because there's been no snow in the mountain Ski resorts doesn't mean that it's not been cold enough to affect growth in other areas :lol:

Every news outlet is reporting that it's down to the weather

13 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

No tomato rationing in  Northern Ireland either. :interehjrling:

Nor in my local Tesco...it gets curiouser and curiouser 

Though may have happened today. But certainly none, in my local shop where I buy my veg 

Edited by Taffin

Imagine that.  A shortage of summer salad vegetables in February.

I’m off to as many supermarkets as possible to stockpile tomatoes and cucumbers so that I can watch them rot in the fridge before I throw them out.

This country makes me despair.

Edited by FWJ

il Duce McTarkin
17 minutes ago, Dazo said:

The price UK supermarkets also demand from farmers/suppliers is also part of the issue. 

This. Big money can call the shots, although we as consumers should be prepared (and happy) to pay a bit more for good quality British produce. Not a big deal during times of relative prosperity, but for most folk this aint one of those, unfortunately.

Nucky Thompson
7 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Imagine that.  A shortage of summer salad vegetables in February.

I’m off to as many supermarkets as possible to stockpile tomatoes and cucumbers so that I can watch them rot in the fridge before I throw them out.

This country makes me despair.

Exactly :biggrin2:

We import 95% of our tomatoes and 90% of our lettuce in the Winter months

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Don't they bring in the majority of their fruit and veg from Spain and Morocco?

Is there even much arable land in the Canaries?

Big in banana plantations over there.

The Real Maroonblood

They grow tomatoes and that in the Canary Islands, bud. I'd expect them to keep a few back for themselves.

If there was a shortage of Tennent's lager do you think that we'd be sending them any? 

Send it all as it’s pish.

Unreal, can imagine some of the rags emptying shelves just so they can take pictures. Waitrose shelves looked just fine to me, but they'll no doubt empty faster than bog roll did at the start of COVID. We do love a doom narrative.

il Duce McTarkin
30 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

I dont disagree with that approach but it might be an idea to have some sort of “transition” whilst we take back all those fields that Persimmon Homes have sprouted up on to actually grow some veg here!

That's a seperate issue, but I do agree that brownfield sites should be exhausted before govenments (at all levels) allow their 'preferred' developers to chuck up over-priced, identikit, cream-harled ghettos on agricultural land. The economics of this leads back to Dazo's point above. We'd need to pay more to supermarkets/producers in order to make the land that houses are springing up on financially viable for agricultural production.

il Duce McTarkin
12 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Send it all as it’s pish.

Away.

You'll have at least 3 pints a day for your liquid lunch.

15 minutes ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

This. Big money can call the shots, although we as consumers should be prepared (and happy) to pay a bit more for good quality British produce. Not a big deal during times of relative prosperity, but for most folk this aint one of those, unfortunately.

We’re spoilt ***** and demand out of season fruit and veg all year round at rock bottom prices. At least those that can’t seem to deal with trivial things like maybe going without a tomato for a day or two have some real and life changing things to moan about. 

Edited by Dazo

Seems more like paper talk and / or people at it on social media. Defo not as bad as people are making out. I've had no issues getting any fruit & veg in southside of Glasgow.

Loads of independents on Victoria Rd fully stocked and no 'rationing'. Lidl was fine, apart from no tomatoes.

The Hogfather

They grow tomatoes and that in the Canary Islands, bud. I'd expect them to keep a few back for themselves.

If there was a shortage of Tennent's lager do you think that we'd be sending them any? 

Tenerife imports most of its produce from the EU and Morocco. They benefit from being part of the common market, which we do not. 

5 minutes ago, Dazo said:

We’re spoilt ***** and demand out of season fruit and veg all year round at rock bottom prices. At least those that can’t seem to deal with trivial things like maybe going without a tomato for a day or two have some real and life changing things to moan about. 

Yep 👍

il Duce McTarkin
1 minute ago, Dazo said:

We’re spoilt ***** and demand out of season fruit and veg all year round at rock bottom prices. 

It's part of the lifestyle that we're sold by consumer capitalism, tbh, but aye, folk don't know that they're born.

il Duce McTarkin
4 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

Tenerife imports most of its produce from the EU and Morocco. They benefit from being part of the common market, which we do not. 

'Produce' is an umbrella term for a whole bunch of diverse stuff, bud. That wee video thqt you posted was showing fruit that is widely grown and exported from the Canary Islands.

2 hours ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

We can take advantage of the gross surplus of workers and remarkably affordable fuel/energy costs to make a rip roaring success of that.  World leading highway to the sunlit uplands.

Amirite?

The Hogfather
1 minute ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

'Produce' is an umbrella term for a whole bunch of diverse stuff, bud. That wee video thqt you posted was showing fruit that is widely grown and exported from the Canary Islands.

So the issues with shortages here isn’t actually related to poor weather, as my original post alluded to? Hmm. 

il Duce McTarkin
8 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

So the issues with shortages here isn’t actually related to poor weather, as my original post alluded to? Hmm. 

Did you ignore the bit about keeping enough of the stuff that the could grow despite the weather for themselves? 

il Duce McTarkin
13 minutes ago, Victorian said:

We can take advantage of the gross surplus of workers and remarkably affordable fuel/energy costs to make a rip roaring success of that.  World leading highway to the sunlit uplands.

Amirite?

Aye, economies have never rebalanced themselves in the face of adveristy before. 

Might as well wrap our belts around the light fittings and spare ourselves the misery.

Just now, Dirk McTarkin said:

Aye, economies have never rebalanced themselves in the face of adveristy before. 

Might as well wrap our belts around the light fittings and spare ourselves the misery.

Well naw.  We could remove obstacles to be able to compete for labour supply and target meaningful financial support towards key industries

Amiwrang?

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Well naw.  We could remove obstacles to be able to compete for labour supply and target meaningful financial support towards key industries

Amiwrang?

I'd love one, but not if there's no raspberries for the top!

Ministryofdad
3 hours ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Do you accept there is a problem here, created yet again, by Brexit?

Nope it's still winter time in the UK. 

Luxuries such as tomato and cucumbers can't grow in the UK. Have to be imported. 

There is a vast vast surplus of home grown vegetables that cannot get sold. 

It's not Brexit that's the problem. Not even the supply chain its greedy supermarkets wanting to squeeze the suppliers and they're saying no. 

That's the issue now

Nucky Thompson
8 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

Every single media outlet is saying that the small shortage it's down to the weather.

The only one that even mention Brexit is the Guardian and even they are not using that as the reason

It's not greatly due to Brexit.  But most European countries do not have these shortages.  It's mostly a supply/demand/price dynamic.  Brexit is causing some cost pressure.