Glentoran Vs Heart Of Midlothian match thread (merged threads)

200milesfromgorgie

chester copperpot
Was a SMALL minority. Bad?

Not really Andy, and I dont think they're deemed as Sectarian, however there's a few songs hearts fans are trying to be rid of, to get ourselves away from the Rangers supporters that we're currently put in with.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Glentoran-Andy
We're not the Huns, nor do we wish to be.

But what do you expect when they head for the Rangers Supporters Club on the Shankill?

hmm why do u call us "huns"?

Glentoran-Andy
Not really Andy, and I dont think they're deemed as Sectarian, however there's a few songs hearts fans are trying to be rid of, to get ourselves away from the Rangers supporters that we're currently put in with.

Yes i know what u mean. Glentoran are divided with this topic, because lets face it, is the sash really a sectarian song? are there sectarian words in it? But it is a song the ifa are currently trying to kick out of northern irish football.

Oh dear.

Edit - You beat me to everything Peanut.

Oh dear OH DEAR ... c'mon Glentoran '3 posts' Andy, thank the lord you seem to stay over there and I will thank him more if you never set foot into Tynie with that attitude, 3 posts into you're Kickback Life and if you're impressed with our Old Firm antics, fingers crossed it wont make it to a 4th post.

Unreal to think we really do have some bigoted **** in our ranks, whether it be 1 or 100 it's far too many. Take a reality check guys.

Ryan Gosling
hmm why do u call us "huns"?

Rangers fans? Because they're animals, bigots, and the enemy.

Oh dear.

Edit - You beat me to everything Peanut.

Quick trigger finger.

Guest JKBMod 9

Let's not go there, guys. Stick to the game; doubtless we shall hear more about this in due course. :rolleyes:

Glentoran-Andy
Rangers fans? Because they're animals, bigots, and the enemy.

So by "huns" you do/dont mean protestants?

chester copperpot
Let's not go there, guys. Stick to the game; doubtless we shall hear more about this in due course. :rolleyes:

Fair point, last one you hear from me. :)

Stupid Sexy Flanders
I will tell you what i was told by hearts fan. When i herd you wer coming i was under the impression that you wer a "catholic" team, however a hearts fan told me that your nick name was "the mini gers" and hibs nick name was "the mini celtic". YOur games v each other was like the old firm only with smaller attendances.

No, no, no.

Only the Old Firm call us and Hibs that, because they are under the impression that they are the only teams in the world who matter, and that everyone is either for one or the other. They are incorrect.

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Rangers fans? Because they're animals' date=' bigots, and the enemy.

So by "huns" you do/dont mean protestants?[/quote']

The word "Huns" is, to me anyway, a derogatory term for Rangers supporters.

Glentoran-Andy
No, no, no.

Only the Old Firm call us and Hibs that, because they are under the impression that they are the only teams in the world who matter, and that everyone is either for one or the other. They are incorrect.

Ok i understand now. I apologise for any offence i may have caused

Glentoran-Andy
No, I mean 'Rangers fans'.

Ok, in northern ireland this word is used against protestants. Like certain other ones beginning with "F" is used against catholics

Stupid Sexy Flanders

No prob. :)

chester copperpot

You haven't caused any offence mate.

Well done to the Glens in beating us on pens. (although I'd love to say we let you as way of keeping the testimonial guy happy :))

Well thats my excuse anyhoo. ;)

Glentoran-Andy
Hearts are not a Catholic club, or a Protestant club.

We are a Scottish club.

What a great attitude. Id love glentoran to take this on and welcome both sides in.

Glentoran-Andy
You haven't caused any offence mate.

Well done to the Glens in beating us on pens. (although I'd love to say we let you as way of keeping the testimonial guy happy :))

Well thats my excuse anyhoo. ;)

Yep im sure Leeper was delighted. Yep u let us win;)

I was at the match tonight. I dont quite get all the doom and gloom it was only a friendly, our first one at that and I imagine it was basically an exercise in evaluating players sinse everyone had at least 10 minutes.

We were comfortable in the first half but once substitutions had been made we lost our grip on the game and Glentoran started taking it to us despite not creating many good chances. Other than their goal they had a few efforts from defensive mistakes one especially from a mispass from Thomson in the second half where the Glens boy should have scored but Basso saved well.

I thought we created enough chances to win the game maybe should have been 2 or 3 up by the time the equaliser was scored. A few headers and stramash in the six yard box and numerous times when we threatened in the wide areas but didnt have enough numbers in the box. That did change later when Sives was thrown up front in the last few minutes when we went to long ball tactics.

We seemed to be playing a 4-4-1-1 to me with Stewart off the striker and I thought he played very well in the role. The usual first teamers had solid games, wasnt so impressd with Sives and Screpis. Matthew Doherty was the youngster who impressed me most. Seemed to have no problems skinning the defenders and with a better delivery he could be an asset IMO.

A bit too much secterian singing for my liking aswell but I half expected it. :(

All in all a decent game of football, our weaknesses were plain to see and all we need now is the manager to address them.

Ryan Gosling
Ok, in northern ireland this word is used against protestants. Like certain other ones beginning with "F" is used against catholics

Well, I would say Nacho Novo is a rabid hun, and he is most likely a Catholic.

:)

chester copperpot
Yep im sure Leeper was delighted. Yep u let us win;)

I'm glad we lay down for you's :whistling:

FWIW, if you's hadn't beat us tonight, I'd have been worried that you's were pish. Luckily you's are not quite that bad.

Glentoran-Andy
Well, I would say Nacho Novo is a rabid hun, and he is most likely a Catholic.

:)

Yea? fair enough

Glentoran-Andy
I'm glad we lay down for you's :whistling:

FWIW, if you's hadn't beat us tonight, I'd have been worried that you's were pish. Luckily you's are not quite that bad.

Haha not bad for a team that only has only 2 full time players playing;)

Ryan Gosling

But you were playing a team with only three real footballers playing for them.

:P

Glentoran-Andy
But you were playing a team with only three real footballers playing for them.

:P

Haha. WHere was Berra? (sp?)

chester copperpot

Were you talking about Hearts or Glens there mate.

:confused::confused::confused:;)

Glentoran-Andy
Were you talking about Hearts or Glens there mate.

:confused::confused::confused:;)

Theres the question;)

Just back from the game (live in Belfast) - any idea who number 14 was? I'm guessing Screpis (Dark tanned bloke). He looks a class above the rest of the team.

chester copperpot
Just back from the game (live in Belfast) - any idea who number 14 was? I'm guessing Screpis (Dark tanned bloke). He looks a class above the rest of the team.

The only squad number I know for season 08-09 is Rocky Visconte's (54) ;)

Actually I am not joking, I do not think that this man is good enough for HOM.

Have you a problem with my personal opinion?

HOM? :hobofish:

ScottishSandstorm

Just saw the highlights on Sky. Basso really should have saved that. Sives was unlucky and Miko's goal was good.

Guest Maroon Carpet
Did MaroonCarpet respond to this post? ;)

I see I have to like the new manager and adore the appointment, well if that is what is wrong with you folks then if it makes you all happy, yes, I think we will win the SPL and Champions League with Shabba, is that better now? Great appointment!

BTW

I laugh at the members here that think I am a HOBO, you are completely wrong, as you are with everything thing else on here.

...all we need now is the manager to address them.

Rumour has it that VR will be appointing one before Hearts go off on their camping holiday to Germany.

DuffKirkMacKenzie
I see I have to like the new manager and adore the appointment, well if that is what is wrong with you folks then if it makes you all happy, yes, I think we will win the SPL and Champions League with Shabba, is that better now? Great appointment!

BTW

I laugh at the members here that think I am a HOBO, you are completely wrong, as you are with everything thing else on here.

Csaba's first game. Beaten 6 - 5 on pens in a cup final. Not a bad start for your predictions.:);)

Well, other than Goncalves/Wallace that is the back 4 which was costing 2-3 goals per game at the end of last season. It is the 4-5-1 which doesn't work given our players available. I presume that once again Stewart will play in front of the midfield - something that he showed that he can't do last season. Gary Glen is too young and light and inexperienced to play up front on his own - and I don't like the single striker idea anyway. Ivaskevicius still at the club.

Perhaps Laslo isn't picking tonight's team - and when he works out the above he will stop that formation/team being picked.

You are a total plank, Coco!

Who would you have played? - Ronaldinho (Oh, doesnae play for us), Nade (oh, he's injured), Pinilla (oh, he's gone).

Given the players available and given Shabba has been here a matter of days, he did what was sensible and will follow that on against Dunfy - take a look at what he has available before making any judgements. To his credit, Shabba has already been shown to be a quick assessor of players as shown in his post match comments.

Some folk need to get a grip! Signings will arrive (maybe not until January) and the duffers will be moved on - but it WILL not and SHOULD not happen until the manager has assessed the players already here and until he has had a close look at who he could bring in who would improve the squad. Granted, it would have been better had a manager been appointed weeks ago - but we all know why that did not happen.

You are a total plank, Coco!

Who would you have played? - Ronaldinho (Oh, doesnae play for us), Nade (oh, he's injured), Pinilla (oh, he's gone).

Given the players available and given Shabba has been here a matter of days, he did what was sensible and will follow that on against Dunfy - take a look at what he has available before making any judgements. To his credit, Shabba has already been shown to be a quick assessor of players as shown in his post match comments.

Some folk need to get a grip! Signings will arrive (maybe not until January) and the duffers will be moved on - but it WILL not and SHOULD not happen until the manager has assessed the players already here and until he has had a close look at who he could bring in who would improve the squad. Granted, it would have been better had a manager been appointed weeks ago - but we all know why that did not happen.

You can hope that these things will happen. All very sensible. I hope that he is a proper manager and will be given the room to manage the team. As per the last paragraph in the post you quoted before replying.

But I think he is the new Valdas. Time will tell.

Why you ask?

Because that would be the punch-line of a lame Hobo-esque joke viz 'Burglars broke into the Tynecastle trophy room. Was anything stolen? Yes...a maroon carpet.'

Coupled with the observation that your posts haven't appeared to have been entirely supportive of the club.

Perhaps it's just that you're new in town and I've not tuned into your posting style yet....for the moment I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and refrain from the usual :hobofish: smiley.

GlentoranMark

Hi Guys, a pleasure to meet a few of you.

I wouldn't take anything from the result from both sides. The game was all about trying players and getting an idea of your team. Glentoran must have used at least 20 players last night, some impressed me, others didn't.

Hearts were poor but they did string the ball and move quick at times. TBH, you'll have to do a lot more of that if your to succeed in the SPL. Glentoran controlled much of the game but were poor up front, pretty dissapointing as we have a decent strike force. As Glentoran Andy said, we only have 2 full time pro's in our squad so we should be the happier.

Your supporters did sing a few colourful songs but you did have a load of local based supporters, a millwall supporter and I noticed one linfield flag at the game. I think they all enjoyed themselves both pre and post match. Unlike linfield, we try not to show a sectarian element, things have moved a lot in our wee country but there's still a long way to go.

The game was played for the Umbro cup, I hope we can defend our trophy in Edinburgh some time in the future. Our average gate is only around 2,000 but we have a decent, large and vocal travelling travelling support. We play ** Metalurgs from Latvia on Thursday so the game was a useful exercise for us.

Good luck in the coming season, I'm suprised decent highlights of the game isn't up on http://www.forzatv.net/index.html . Their normally put up within a couple of hours. The guys do it volintarily so can't be criticised. Keep checking, they will be put up at some stage today.

Hi Guys, a pleasure to meet a few of you.

I wouldn't take anything from the result from both sides. The game was all about trying players and getting an idea of your team. Glentoran must have used at least 20 players last night, some impressed me, others didn't.

Hearts were poor but they did string the ball and move quick at times. TBH, you'll have to do a lot more of that if your to succeed in the SPL. Glentoran controlled much of the game but were poor up front, pretty dissapointing as we have a decent strike force. As Glentoran Andy said, we only have 2 full time pro's in our squad so we should be the happier.

Your supporters did sing a few colourful songs but you did have a load of local based supporters, a millwall supporter and I noticed one linfield flag at the game. I think they all enjoyed themselves both pre and post match. Unlike linfield, we try not to show a sectarian element, things have moved a lot in our wee country but there's still a long way to go.

The game was played for the Umbro cup, I hope we can defend our trophy in Edinburgh some time in the future. Our average gate is only around 2,000 but we have a decent, large and vocal travelling travelling support. We play ** Metalurgs from Latvia on Thursday so the game was a useful exercise for us.

Good luck in the coming season, I'm suprised decent highlights of the game isn't up on http://www.forzatv.net/index.html . Their normally put up within a couple of hours. The guys do it volintarily so can't be criticised. Keep checking, they will be put up at some stage today.

Look out for Beniusis ;)

portobellojambo1

Just home.

I wouldn't take too much, in fact, anything, from last nights game. It was a pre season friendly, to try and get rid of the cobwebs.

All in all it was a good trip, only down side was having to nip out from the pub to buy a T-Shirt to wear as they wouldn't allow colours in the pub, but hey ho, s h i t happens.

Archived