• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Don Dan

• Marvin

5 minutes ago, TNCASTLE said:

Cochrane is more composed.

Not sure i fully agree with that. Kingsley is superb at stepping out of trouble, has a very calm head. I think a couple of poor performances under very difficult circumstances being so recent are clouding here

Both very good on the ball

Any time we get a bit of squad depth the immediate reaction is to measure players up against each other and declare one far better than the other . The reality is both Cochrane and Kingsley are excellent players , and both have attributes that are better than their counter part 

10 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Any time we get a bit of squad depth the immediate reaction is to measure players up against each other and declare one far better than the other . The reality is both Cochrane and Kingsley are excellent players , and both have attributes that are better than their counter part 

Its a bit bizarre I think as well

Cochrane and Kingsley working together on the left allows them to compliment each other. With McKay in front of it we have a very dangerous left flank.

1 minute ago, 1971fozzy said:

Its a bit bizarre I think as well

It was the same with Pressley and Webster , Webster and Berra , Berra and Zaliukas , and Zaliukas and Webster . Still happens now with long retired players like Jardine and Levein and Levein and McLaren 😄 

One player being good does not automatically trigger an opposite reaction where the other decreases in quality 

3 minutes ago, Gorgierools said:

Cochrane and Kingsley working together on the left allows them to compliment each other. With McKay in front of it we have a very dangerous left flank.

Totally this . They can work well together but also play the same positions as each other , bringing different strengths to the match day team 

3 hours ago, Sooks said:

I agree. Having two excellent left sided defenders is a good problem to have.  

3 hours ago, Gorgierools said:

Nice bum, Alex.  Thanks, bright eyes.

18 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I agree. Having two excellent left sided defenders is a good problem to have.  

And something we need to get used to if we want to be a "big team".  If we want to start pushing closer to the OF and doing a bit better in Europe (incl getting there every year), it's as much about having no drop off in quality when we rotate squad.

Look at the Scottish Cup Final against Rangers.  They had boys on the bench that would be our best player.  Not saying we can match that, obviously, but having a bench full of guys who can slot in and match or even up our quality is vital if we're to keep progressing.

And when someone doesn't play, they're not dropped*, they're simply part of the squad, all of whom will play a good part in the season.

I'm a bit old fashioned and always thought, pick your formation and style and have your first XI and aim for it every week... to an extent I still think this, but I do understand it can't really work like that these days.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

At pains to have to agree with @Sooksbut its like some weird pissing contest, my favourite player is better than yours. Form and fitness mean its variable in any case.

Shows a lack of understanding IMHO

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

And something we need to get used to if we want to be a "big team".  If we want to start pushing closer to the OF and doing a bit better in Europe (incl getting there every year), it's as much about having no drop off in quality when we rotate squad.

Look at the Scottish Cup Final against Rangers.  They had boys on the bench that would be our best player.  Not saying we can match that, obviously, but having a bench full of guys who can slot in and match or even up our quality is vital if we're to keep progressing.

And when someone doesn't play, they're not dropped*, they're simply part of the squad, all of whom will play a good part in the season.

I'm a bit old fashioned and always thought, pick your formation and style and have your first XI and aim for it every week... to an extent I still think this, but I do understand it can't really work like that these days.

I got pilloried last year for saying you need 2 for every position and we would never get there, pretty much there right now, but it can better still. You keep improving on each position each year, if you show form and get results you survive, if you cant you move on. You want to get better, you better be ruthless and set the bar high

3 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

At pains to have to agree with @Sooksbut its like some weird pissing contest, my favourite player is better than yours. Form and fitness mean its variable in any case.

Shows a lack of understanding IMHO

Thanks mate , I think :rofl: 

StevenNaismith

Clark

Hill

Sibbick

Rowles

Smith

Devlin

Snodgrass

Cochrane

McKay

Shankland

Ginnelly

Kingsley may come in if Cochrane is still a bit tight with his hammy.

3 hours ago, Sooks said:

Kingsley hasn’t been fully fit for any major part of this season. When both are fully fit there isn’t much between them although I slightly favour Kingsley. Beginning to look like a fully fit squad only has room for one of them to start since Rowles arrived

Portable Badger
19 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Nice bum, Alex.  Thanks, bright eyes.

😆

Sure they will eventually get the difference between Compliment and Complement

5 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Kingsley hasn’t been fully fit for any major part of this season. When both are fully fit there isn’t much between them although I slightly favour Kingsley. Beginning to look like a fully fit squad only has room for one of them to start since Rowles arrived

What is this fully fit squad thing you speak of ? A mythical creature from another planet i presume 

Absolute Scenes
11 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Kingsley is a far better player

Thomo come on man

Kingsley is brilliant, but how on earth can you drop Cochrane on his performances this season? It would be outrageous for him to just be swiped to the bench

However, i'd be okay with resting him for Sunday, with Kingsley coming in tomorrow

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

What is this fully fit squad thing you speak of ? A mythical creature from another planet i presume 

We had one about 5 years ago. Fabulous week that was.😀

pettigrewsstylist
5 hours ago, Sooks said:

This is it. Its how we progress. Its how we keeping gaining points during injury crises, loss of form, suspensions etc. Looks like we also want a squad that can play 3-4-3, 4-4-3 or 4-4-2.

No value in debating who is better when both are excellent.

Squad game.

24 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

We had one about 5 years ago. Fabulous week that was.😀

haha, yeah feels that way eh!  We actually started last season not too bad other than the odd niggle. Then Halks missed a bunch, Soapy, obvs, then Beni, then Dev, then others, then the bad injuries started coming from spring onwards and don't seem to have stopped!

Don't  really get the Kingsley or Cochrane debate, who's best? Who cares, they are both excellent players. Both can play (if fit) and we will have a strong left side, sharing attacking and defensive duties, one goes one stays, nothing new. If we want to then call Cochrane left/mid fair enough. Other areas are more worthy of debate IMO.

Jack Torrance

Just popped 3 tickets on exchange for the back row section Q in case anyone is looking for some. 

Still on holiday. Hope its a great game folks.

ScandinavianJambo
6 hours ago, Sooks said:

Indeed. Both are needed and we can see instant impact when they are not playing. This thing about arguing about "whose the best" reminds me of my 10 year old discussing who she like the most on the most recent tv series they watched lol 😁

11 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Is the game at risk of being called off with the icy weather / potential snow in Edinburgh tomorrow?

Weather forecast isn't significantly worse than today, which is cold but dry albeit with ice.

Hearts will do what we need to do around our footprint to ensure the game can go ahead.

It's not bad enough or forecast to be bad enough for external parties to consider calling the game off imo.

Edited by DETTY29

The Treasurer
1 hour ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Is the game at risk of being called off with the icy weather / potential snow in Edinburgh tomorrow?

I just wish someone would come up with a system of hot water pipes or cables that clubs could place under the grass, then we wouldn't have to worry about games being called off due to frozen pitches

Lord Beni of Gorgie

The fanzine guy on BBC Aberdeen page reckons tomorrow is a shootout for 3rd place, be better to be in 4th first eh :wink:

1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

Weather forecast isn't significantly worse than today, which is cold but dry albeit with ice.

Hearts will do what we need to do around our footprint to ensure the game can go ahead.

It's not bad enough or forecast to be bad enough for external parties to consider calling the game off imo.

Was up earlier. The plaza is white with frost/ice. Would think that needs cleared before tomorrow night.

Markymark1874
8 hours ago, Gorgierools said:

Agree 💯 % with this 

1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

Safety of fans travelling too need to be taken in to account 

and the Aberdeen squad to travel - up there it might be worse weather 

RustyRightPeg
3 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

It’s been sunny all day, and is to be sunny tomorrow with no snow forecast. What’s your issue?

**** Aberdeen. 

Just now, RustyRightPeg said:

It’s been sunny all day, and is to be sunny tomorrow with no snow forecast. What’s your issue?

**** Aberdeen. 

See comment above too - icy around the plaza and Will be same tomorrow too 

RustyRightPeg
1 minute ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Imagine there was such a thing called grit, that could be thrown onto the ground to prevent ice from being slippy. Imagine that. 

It was no different on Friday. Grow up. 

3 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Never heard of grit and salt then 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

3 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Imagine there was such a thing called grit, that could be thrown onto the ground to prevent ice from being slippy. Imagine that. 

It was no different on Friday. Grow up. 

Guessing by his posts he had a bad slip / head knock when younger.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
6 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

**** Aberdeen. 

There are Hearts fans travelling from Aberdeen tomorrow 🤷‍♂️And other parts of the country, the plaza will be the least of our concerns

8 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

I’m sure the paths and plaza will

be treated 🤦🏻 

53 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Their squad will already be on their way and will be close enough to the stadium tonight for the weather not to be a factor. 

Fxxx the SPFL
35 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Their squad will already be on their way and will be close enough to the stadium tonight for the weather not to be a factor. 

Unless they pull a fast one and say they can’t travel due to bad weather up north 

1 hour ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Should be fine. Bit of sleet is the worst that’s forecast for up there. 

On 16/01/2023 at 15:19, AlimOzturk said:

Halliday has taken two big blows to the head recently so should not be risked at all. Leave him out let him recover fully.

Really hope Kingsley is back for this. Mayb

I would line up 

4-4-2

GK-  Clark

RB - Smith 

CB - Rowels

CB - Hill

LB  - Kingsley

LW - Cochrane

CM - Snodgrass

CM - Devlin 

RW - McKay

FW  - Shankland

ST - Kuol or Humphrey’s. 

I feel Cochrane does all his best work further forward and him and Kingsley could really cause havoc in the Aberdeen left hand side imo. 

I’m assuming you’ve forgot about him seeing as he’s been our best player since the World Cup, so I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt, but why are you dropping Sibbick?

26 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Unless they pull a fast one and say they can’t travel due to bad weather up north 

There is no bad weather between Aberdeen and Edinburgh forecast for the next 24 hours