***Official Heart of Midlothian v Aberdeen Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

17 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Does he go with Smith again? I think he will. He'll go back to Devlin. And the rest the same as per vs St Mirren. 

Kingsley bench at best.

Personally, rather see back four, Smith, Hill/Sibbick, Rowles, Cochrane

Midfield of Snodgrass, Devlin and Grant

And up top Shankland, McKay and Humphrys

Kingsley bench at best? You don’t think he will be fit?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Don Dan

• Marvin

Just now, Bob Loblaw said:

Aberdeen were decent today, but that is clearly them playing to the occasion. That's not what they are turning in every week, not even close.

Their away record is horrible, they've just played 120 minutes on a heavy pitch, 30 with 10 men. They'll be missing their captain and first choice CH and best attacking player could be out. We should really eb looking to win.

The Sheep always up their game against Rangers

2 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Just think even if fit he won't dislodge the other 3, esp with Cochrane not in that 3.

He'll definitely play a back 3 with this cushion of points we have. He'll take the risk again of being pressured. 343 again.

4 hours ago, Bunny Munro said:

I don't think Stewart or Robbie will be suspended.

Unless I'm mistaken, red cards only cross competitions for Violent Conduct. Stewarts would have been for serious foul play.

I don't think managers miss games for red cards at all, just accumulation of points.

Looks like violent conduct or serious foul play. 

B12F10E0-7306-47C9-93F2-2234FCD235DB.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Tough loss in extra time in the semi 😊

Gutted for them 🤥

I do recall thinking that rangers going to extra time in Seville would have gave us an advantage. Got that one wrong as we were dead on our feet.

However totally different circumstances it’s at Tynecastle and Aberdeen are miles off rangers quality. Win this and puts down a huge marker for the race for 3rd

24 minutes ago, CMc said:

Looks like violent conduct or serious foul play. 

B12F10E0-7306-47C9-93F2-2234FCD235DB.jpeg

Serious foul play for sure - and he misses Hearts game

2 minutes ago, Ronald Villiers said:

I hope we destroy these mutton humping rockets.  They seem to have a right hatred for us.  

Jealousy

2 minutes ago, Ronald Villiers said:

I hope we destroy these mutton humping rockets.  They seem to have a right hatred for us.  

A lifetime eating out of bins in Torry and Kincorth tends to addle the brain.

31 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

he has been out for a month ? Good chance he will be on bench 

26 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Just think even if fit he won't dislodge the other 3, esp with Cochrane not in that 3.

He'll definitely play a back 3 with this cushion of points we have. He'll take the risk again of being pressured. 343 again.

Take your point but Kingsley is one of our very best players and a real threat from free kicks.

Back 4 is the answer -

Hill Sibbick Rowles Kingsley

2 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

he has been out for a month ? Good chance he will be on bench 

Maybe

Just now, Thomaso said:

Take your point but Kingsley is one of our very best players and a real threat from free kicks.

Back 4 is the answer -

I think Kingsley needs to be reintroduced very patiently and sparingly. I don’t think he has really been 100% since that semi-final last year - just not the same player this season even before his injuries. 

Ronald Villiers
7 minutes ago, leginten said:

A lifetime eating out of bins in Torry and Kincorth tends to addle the brain.

🤣

I have a healthy dislike for this lot.

Their support are full of absolute roasters.

Please Hearts a resounding thrashing.

They're in serious trouble as a club imo.

It's a mess up there.

36 minutes ago, leginten said:

I think Kingsley needs to be reintroduced very patiently and sparingly. I don’t think he has really been 100% since that semi-final last year - just not the same player this season even before his injuries. 

He was injured and missed the first few weeks of the season.

Since then he's either played centre-back in a 4 or in the middle of a 3 with less experienced players. He's barely (if at all) played the position he played last season and he hasn't played left-back either.

Not that it matters much, but I thought he was in excellent form in pre-season playing LCB. Looked sharp and scored some excellent goals.

8 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

Since then he's either played centre-back in a 4 or in the middle of a 3 with less experienced players. He's barely (if at all) played the position he played last season and he hasn't played left-back either.

Not that it matters much, but I thought he was in excellent form in pre-season playing LCB. Looked sharp and scored some excellent goals.

Agreed. Kingsley is a top top player. He is in our top 5 outfield players. He will play when fit. 

16 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

That as my take on it

8 minutes ago, hearts00 said:

Agreed. Kingsley is a top top player. He is in our top 5 outfield players. He will play when fit. 

👍

2 hours ago, whytebeard said:

The beauty of football and opinions.

i see the complete opposite. I see pointless passing, possession heavy with minimum intent. The 2 st mirren games are prime examples, absolutely bossed possession but had fewer chances. Maybe partly is playing snodgrass and devlin together in that formation - don’t think it works. St mirren away the 2nd formation change help change the intent, that’s how I would always start.

best I have seen us play this season was Zurich at home and that was 4 at the back.

Tend to agree with the point you're making.

I don't like 3 at the back at all. Big pressure on every defender all the time. No doubting it's been getting results, but I see a 4-2-1-3 as being the way forward with our current set of players. Especially at home. Roughly eg

Clark

Smith Hill Rowles Cochrane

Devlin  Grant

Snodgrass 

Mackay Shankland Kuol

With decent options on bench. SH for mckay for example. Maybe start with that but too harsh on BM after his goal. He needs to do that more often or otherwise effect games though.

The fact that they had to play extra time with ten men today should be a plus for us on Wednesday. 

Edited by No Idle Talk

1 hour ago, Thomaso said:

Back 4 is the answer -

No chance Kingsley comes in at the expense of Cochrane

11 hours ago, Pingu said:

Hoping Kingsley and Cochrane make it, in which case I'd go:

Clark

Hill          Rowles       Kingsley

Atkinson   Snodgrass    Devlin     Cochrane

Humphrys     Shankland    McKay

Harsh on Sibbick and Gino, but Kingsley and Cochrane should both start if fit, and I fancy Humps against that lot.

Like the look of that team.

They won't have the usual full support behind them as they only have one section in the Roseburn iirc.

This should be the case for every team in the league apart from Hibs.

11 hours ago, Pingu said:

Hoping Kingsley and Cochrane make it, in which case I'd go:

Clark

Hill          Rowles       Kingsley

Atkinson   Snodgrass    Devlin     Cochrane

Humphrys     Shankland    McKay

Harsh on Sibbick and Gino, but Kingsley and Cochrane should both start if fit, and I fancy Humps against that lot.

I'd swap Grant for Devlin at the moment. Apart from that I like it. I wonder whether Sibbick or Hill could play RWB? Both seem to have the legs for it.

Can’t see Cochrane playing and risking a tight hamstring before the cup game on Sunday.

Clark

Hill Sibbick Rowles 

Natty Cammy Snoddy Kingsley

Mckay Shankland Gino

1 hour ago, KyleLafferty said:

Can’t see Cochrane playing and risking a tight hamstring before the cup game on Sunday.

Clark

Hill Sibbick Rowles 

Mckay Shankland Gino

Kuol instead of Gino

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

They won't have the usual full support behind them as they only have one section in the Roseburn iirc.

This should be the case for every team in the league apart from Hibs.

Given hibs record of  damage to the stadium,  the attacks on our players and sick songs, the hibs allocation deserves to be cut back more than any other support.

shaymanjecs61
11 hours ago, 8skacel8 said:

I have a spare ticket for this game if anyone is needing 1. 

After a ticket for Wednesday if its still going. DM if you can.  Cheers :)  

LochcarronJambo
2 hours ago, Gordon_1874 said:

Be a massive blow for them if Duk is out and a huge plus for us, he's their best player.

Definitely, he has looked a real good player, Stewart being suspended won’t make much difference i don’t think he is that great & is rash….i do think tho this will be another difficult game so any sort of win will be fine with me

1 hour ago, KyleLafferty said:

Clark

Hill Sibbick Rowles 

Mckay Shankland Gino

If Cochrane isn't risked but Kingsley back, he HAS to go 4 at back.  It's mad to do otherwise imo. I get that we have 3/4 good CHs, but we simply don't have the WBs for the style.  With no Cochrane, and no Kingsley, I can see 343 as Halliday perhaps better there than at straight LB.

Zando

Sibbick Hill Rowles Kingsley

Dev Snods Grant

Gino Shanks Baz

I'd also suggest Aberdeen not bad in midfield and I'm a bit fed up of being outnumbered in there.

Zando

Hill Sibbick Rowles

Forrest Dev Snods Halliday

Gino Shanks Baz

I prefer the first team personally.  I do wonder if Robbie looks at the stats more than the games sometimes!  343 by and large has been very succesful for us, so stats for it will look good.  However when we don't have the players for it (need at RWB/if Cochrane not at LWB), it simply doesn't feel right and we seem to constantly lose the midfield battle even though we have some very good midfielders at the club.

Not a rant at all, as I'm all for winning and I like Robbie and think he's doing great.  I just would like us to get that 433 working more often as I think it's perfect for us.  Especially at Tynie, the FBs can still get high up the pitch, it simply means we have more attacking players on the pitch and imo, better balance as with more protection in midfield.

Bin the back 3, we look do much more of a threat and balanced with a back 4. It allows us to get a better grip of midfield something that will be paramount on Wednesday.

11 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Back 4 is the answer -

Agree with back four. Cochrane rested for Hibs match might make sense too if he's feeling his hammy. 

Sub4TiddlerMurray

I’ll take your…

30 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Zando

Sibbick Hill Rowles Kingsley

Dev Snods Grant

Gino Shanks Baz

And raise you…

Zando

Hill  Sibbick Rowles Kingsley

Dev Snods Kio

Koul Shanks Baz

…as you say, Aberdeen are good in the middle and I think Kio is defensively stronger than Grant and he can win headers (Shanks would have Little and Large as protectors). In defence, Hill looks like a stronger and more aggressive RB than Sibbick. His forward and cross field passes are more accurate too (albeit from what we have seen in one game). Koul, with the same caveat as Hill) looks like he can well handle himself and doesn’t need a few games from the bench for us to realise that he’s a top player. Humps is a great option off the bench if he tires.

1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Given hibs record of  damage to the stadium,  the attacks on our players and sick songs, the hibs allocation deserves to be cut back more than any other support.

Agree, the only danger is they cut back our allocation for ER.

33 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

I’ll take your…

And raise you…

Zando

Hill  Sibbick Rowles Kingsley

Dev Snods Kio

Koul Shanks Baz

…as you say, Aberdeen are good in the middle and I think Kio is defensively stronger than Grant and he can win headers (Shanks would have Little and Large as protectors). In defence, Hill looks like a stronger and more aggressive RB than Sibbick. His forward and cross field passes are more accurate too (albeit from what we have seen in one game). Koul, with the same caveat as Hill) looks like he can well handle himself and doesn’t need a few games from the bench for us to realise that he’s a top player. Humps is a great option off the bench if he tires.

Aye, I actually had typed Hill at RB but I simply know Tobes has def played there before.  He is quick too plus Hill perhaps a little more aggressive so good to have in middle.  Either way, good options in a 4.

Don't disagree about Kio/Grant, happy either way, I'd just quite like them to worry about us rather than the other way round in general.  We don't have much height though, you are right.  And they're big.

Kuol/Gino.  I think Garang should be coming off bench, basically.  Impactful cameos after Gino has done a load of heavy lifting.  I think people undervalue the power of work Gino puts in and focus on "when he has the ball" (which is fair enough obv, but it misses what else he brings to the party)

Someone posted a link to their forum a while back after they played Rangers, so thought I’d have a gander today to see if it was as bad after yesterdays result, it is, also had a look at their match day thread for our game, turns out we have a creepy lurker on their forum similar to their version that hangs about here. They don’t like us much either which fills me with pride.

Jambo dans les Pyrenees
2 hours ago, KyleLafferty said:

Clark

Hill Sibbick Rowles 

Mckay Shankland Gino

Agree with not risking Cochrane, and if Kingsley isn't fit either I'd slot Halliday in.

Re the above, I'd put Forrest and Kio in for Natty and Cammy and possibly Humprhys for Gino

I'd be looking to bring Cammy, Gino, Kuol and Oda on at some point and maybe Atkinson too.  Get them all right up for the Hibs match.

Sub4TiddlerMurray
35 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Aye, I actually had typed Hill at RB but I simply know Tobes has def played there before.  He is quick too plus Hill perhaps a little more aggressive so good to have in middle.  Either way, good options in a 4.

Don't disagree about Kio/Grant, happy either way, I'd just quite like them to worry about us rather than the other way round in general.  We don't have much height though, you are right.  And they're big.

Kuol/Gino.  I think Garang should be coming off bench, basically.  Impactful cameos after Gino has done a load of heavy lifting.  I think people undervalue the power of work Gino puts in and focus on "when he has the ball" (which is fair enough obv, but it misses what else he brings to the party)

Yep, that makes sense about Gino. He has to also get credit for that perfect wall pass return for McKay's goal.

Correction. He doesn't get credit for that, forgot that it was Shankland 🙃

Edited by Sub4TiddlerMurray