***Official Heart of Midlothian v Aberdeen Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

Sub4TiddlerMurray
25 minutes ago, Queensland Jambo said:

Agree with not risking Cochrane, and if Kingsley isn't fit either I'd slot Halliday in.

Re the above, I'd put Forrest and Kio in for Natty and Cammy and possibly Humprhys for Gino

I'd be looking to bring Cammy, Gino, Kuol and Oda on at some point and maybe Atkinson too.  Get them all right up for the Hibs match.

Think Halliday went off with concussion again

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Don Dan

• Marvin

Lord Beni of Gorgie

No idea what the team will be this time. Sounded quite bullish on Friday it was 2 big games, dont think he will throttle back too much, 14/18 in the last 6, you tend to stick what made that happen, if you can

4 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

They won't have the usual 7000 away fans behind them as they only have one section in the Roseburn iirc.

This should be the case for every team in the league apart from Hibs.

FTFY. 🙂 

12 hours ago, jambo mark said:

No chance Kingsley comes in at the expense of Cochrane

Why?

Ex member of the SaS

We really need to win this or at least not lose. They will be gutted after the cup game and we should get stuck in and score early. They will also be worried about their captain, after that stupid lunge that got him sent off, and will be watching he doesn't do it again and put them under more pressure.

They have 2/3  players worth watching but other than that I can't see any of them troubling us too much. Watch out for the ball over the top as Duk and Polvara ( I think ) are quick and maybe McRorie is worth watching.

1 hour ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Think Halliday went off with concussion again

Are we the only team being honest about concussion?

2 minutes ago, Baxfee said:

Maybe Halliday wants to be honest with himself about concussion...👍

19 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

We really need to win this or at least not lose. They will be gutted after the cup game and we should get stuck in and score early. They will also be worried about their captain, after that stupid lunge that got him sent off, and will be watching he doesn't do it again and put them under more pressure.

They have 2/3  players worth watching but other than that I can't see any of them troubling us too much. Watch out for the ball over the top as Duk and Polvara ( I think ) are quick and maybe McRorie is worth watching.

I thought their captain is suspended and Duk is injured

14 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

I thought their captain is suspended and Duk is injured

Both correct and they also used up a ton of energy last night. 

Selkirkhmfc1874
26 minutes ago, Baxfee said:

Quite rightly aswell , players wellbeing comes first

Halliday looked very shaky when he came off on Friday.  I seriously doubt he will be risked on Wednesday.

Finally sports are acknowledging that concussion is a very serious, and potentially long term, injury that needs careful handling.

On a side note, how the **** is Gogic not being retrospectively punished.  It was a clear elbow to Halliday's head, coming in from the side!!!

Was chatting about the game with someone round at Tynecastle earlier and I don't think the importance of it can be downplayed. They are buzzing for it. We have the opportunity, at home, in front of another packed Tynecastle, to go 9 points clear of a team who before the World Cup had a 5 or 6 point lead over us and their tails up. As we have discovered this season the financial gains from us again making European Group Stage football next season are enormous over our closest competition. It can create a divide and put us in a position of strength for seasons to come. Lose and we hand the momentum to Aberdeen, win and we will take a hell of a lot of catching. Yes the likes of Livvy can't be dismissed but the consistency of our home form should be enough to hold them off regardless of anything else. It really is a massive week for us, can take total control over 3rd place which will be one of the most important league finishes in our history given what it does for us for a second season running and we can finish Hibs season (yes I know they still might have a dig fight) and sicken their support losing them substantial monies. 2 huge matches which we are very capable of winning. 

Halliday has taken two big blows to the head recently so should not be risked at all. Leave him out let him recover fully.

Really hope Kingsley is back for this. Mayb

I would line up 

4-4-2

GK-  Clark

RB - Smith 

CB - Rowels

CB - Hill

LB  - Kingsley

LW - Cochrane

CM - Snodgrass

CM - Devlin 

RW - McKay

FW  - Shankland

ST - Kuol or Humphrey’s. 

I feel Cochrane does all his best work further forward and him and Kingsley could really cause havoc in the Aberdeen left hand side imo. 

Hearts v Aberdeen is always a fixture to look forward to.  We have a chance to create quite a substantial gap if we grab the 3 points.  2-1 Hearts

28 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

Halliday looked very shaky when he came off on Friday.  I seriously doubt he will be risked on Wednesday.

Finally sports are acknowledging that concussion is a very serious, and potentially long term, injury that needs careful handling.

On a side note, how the **** is Gogic not being retrospectively punished.  It was a clear elbow to Halliday's head, coming in from the side!!!

Halliday also took a whack to the face off one their players after the elbow. During a corner kick don't know if it was GogIc or Main.  

Regardless of what happened at Hampden yesterday, this will be a tough game. We will have to play better than we did on Friday night. 

Beat Aberdeen on Wednesday night, and we deflate them far more than they were yesterday 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
5 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Regardless of what happened at Hampden yesterday, this will be a tough game. We will have to play better than we did on Friday night. 

Beat Aberdeen on Wednesday night, and we deflate them far more than they were yesterday 

Agree we have to play better, but with their away form, surely a game we should be winning in the circumstances. 

Like to see us get on top early as we did last March

Clark

Hill              Sibbick          Rowles          Kingsley

Grant             Snodgrass         Cochrane

Shankland               McKay

Ginnelly

Stewart, Smith, Neilson, Atkinson, Devlin, Halliday, Kuol, Oda, Humphrys

1 hour ago, TexasAndy said:

Hearts v Aberdeen is always a fixture to look forward to.  We have a chance to create quite a substantial gap if we grab the 3 points.  2-1 Hearts

We have a rather poor record at Pittodrie over the last 25 years - but it's not as bad as their record at Tynecastle over the same period, which is awful. I think the pressure is very much on them on Wednesday as well, which can only be good for us. I'll go for a 2-1 win for the JTs.

Clark 

Hill Sibbick Rowles 

Atkinson Devlin Snodric Kingsley 

McKay

Shankland Humphrys 

2-0 Hearts.               

Looks like he is hopeful of having some fit

Aberdeen boss Jim Goodwin has warned there can be no Hampden hangover for Wednesday’s crunch showdown at Hearts.

The Reds suffered Hampden heartache when losing 2-1 to Rangers after-extra time in the League Cup semi-final on Sunday.

Just three days after an energy-sapping 120 minutes on the atrocious Hampden pitch, the Reds go again at third-placed Hearts.

Goodwin admits his team will be fatigued after their semi-final exertions and he also faces an injury sweat on a number of key players for Tynecastle.

The Dons boss expects the club physios and medical team to be “extremely busy” in the build up to Wednesday’s clash in in Edinburgh.

Attacker Luis “Duk” Lopes and keeper Kelle Roos suffered injuries at Hampden and are set to be assessed, with the former having to leave the field.

On-loan Liverpool midfielder Leighton Clarkson was taken off injured at the national stadium, too.

The Reds boss says there are also other players with “cramps, knocks and issues”.

But boss Goodwin will demand his tired – and potentially injury-hit – Reds pick themselves up for a clash at Hearts that will be key in the fight to finish third.

Goodwin said: “It is a sore result to take, but we can’t dwell on it because we have a hugely important game coming up against Hearts.

“Hearts are on a very good run of form.

“We have to pick ourselves up.

“We do not have a great deal of time to get over these things, especially with the games coming as thick and fast as they will over the next few weeks.

“There are quite a few boys with knocks, cramps and issues, so we will have to assess the squad.

“We will have to see who is available for us for Wednesday.

“And we will have to make sure we can go compete against Hearts to the same levels we did at Hampden.”

Aberdeen manager Jim Goodwin looks dejected during the League Cup semi-final defeat to Rangers. Image: SNS

Goodwin’s injury sweat for Hearts

Hearts have had two extra days to recover and prepare for the clash as they beat St Mirren 1-0 in the Premiership on Friday night.

Goodwin will definitely travel to the capital without captain Anthony Stewart, who is suspended having received a straight red card at Hampden.

On-loan Liverpool midfielder Clarkson was substituted in the 74th minute after picking up an injury when shooting at goal.

Attacker Duk, who has netted 11 goals this season, was replaced just after the hour mark due to a calf problem.

Keeper Roos received treatment in the second half of the semi-final for a thigh problem, however, the Dutch stopper was fit enough to continue.

Goodwin said: “The physio and the rest of the medical team are going to be extremely busy.

“A lot of the guys cramped up and the surface played a huge part.

“We have a lot of fatigue and Hearts have had a couple of days extra to recover from their game against St Mirren.

“So they might be a little fresher than us and we might have to utilize the squad.

“Kelle Roos looks as if he has hurt his thigh.

Aberdeen’s Kelle Roos shouts in anger at full-time against Rangers. Image: SNS

“Duk was struggling early on with his calf.

“We will have to assess the squad, to make sure we have a team on the park on Wednesday that is good enough and competitive enough to get us the result we want.

“For the next few weeks, it is going to be Saturdays and midweek games, so it will be challenging times for the squad.

“That’s why we have a good, healthy, competitive squad – so that when we have to make the type of changes we have to make, potentially on Wednesday, the players coming in are of equal quality.”

The White Cockade

Need Shanks back up top

Makes no sense to have the league's top scorer running about making tackles in midfield

Rest Devlin who's gone off the boil and play Grant who's more creative

RustyRightPeg

Slightly nervous seeing Kingsley in a full sprint in that training video. 

Encouraging signs though, Kuol sticking one right in the top bin off the dribble. 

3 minutes ago, Baxfee said:

Any updates on oda? I know he’s not match fit but must be in training. Nothing really said since he signed 

RN said a few days ago that he looks quick and direct (or something similar) but pointed out he's not played OR trained since November so need to be patient with him.   He needs a mini pre season I suppose,  but hopefully we can see him fir the final 10 minutes or so before too long.   He's not going to be rushed by the sounds of things.

Fxxx the SPFL
4 hours ago, Jimbojack said:

My ticket is on exchange Wheatfield Block F row 9 seat 24. I still have the flu. 

A cold get yer arse in lol

3 hours ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Agree we have to play better, but with their away form, surely a game we should be winning in the circumstances. 

Like to see us get on top early as we did last March

Always expect us to win at home outside of Rangers and Celtic. 

But I genuinely don’t know what to expect.  Can’t figure out how good or not the Dons are and well I’ve not been impressed with our recent performances despite good results. 

Looking forward to it. 

5 hours ago, jambo mark said:

Cochrane is undroppable at the moment. Arguably one of the first names on the team sheet.

is cochrane fit?

27 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

is cochrane fit?

Tight hamstring on Friday night, but Neilson said taking him off was a precaution. Wouldn’t surprise me if he’s not training with the team to let the tweak settle down. 

We all know Robbie says one thing and then another happens though, so could be out for 3 months 🤣

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Shankland back to 9. Humphrys instead of Gino. Kuol on earlier - 55 mins.

Interesting thought above to try Cochrane at LWB if Kingsley can start…

1 hour ago, connlach said:

Looks like he is hopeful of having some fit

Aberdeen boss Jim Goodwin has warned there can be no Hampden hangover for Wednesday’s crunch showdown at Hearts.

The Reds suffered Hampden heartache when losing 2-1 to Rangers after-extra time in the League Cup semi-final on Sunday.

Just three days after an energy-sapping 120 minutes on the atrocious Hampden pitch, the Reds go again at third-placed Hearts.

Goodwin admits his team will be fatigued after their semi-final exertions and he also faces an injury sweat on a number of key players for Tynecastle.

The Dons boss expects the club physios and medical team to be “extremely busy” in the build up to Wednesday’s clash in in Edinburgh.

Attacker Luis “Duk” Lopes and keeper Kelle Roos suffered injuries at Hampden and are set to be assessed, with the former having to leave the field.

On-loan Liverpool midfielder Leighton Clarkson was taken off injured at the national stadium, too.

The Reds boss says there are also other players with “cramps, knocks and issues”.

But boss Goodwin will demand his tired – and potentially injury-hit – Reds pick themselves up for a clash at Hearts that will be key in the fight to finish third.

Goodwin said: “It is a sore result to take, but we can’t dwell on it because we have a hugely important game coming up against Hearts.

“Hearts are on a very good run of form.

“We have to pick ourselves up.

“We do not have a great deal of time to get over these things, especially with the games coming as thick and fast as they will over the next few weeks.

“There are quite a few boys with knocks, cramps and issues, so we will have to assess the squad.

“We will have to see who is available for us for Wednesday.

“And we will have to make sure we can go compete against Hearts to the same levels we did at Hampden.”

Aberdeen manager Jim Goodwin looks dejected during the League Cup semi-final defeat to Rangers. Image: SNS

Goodwin’s injury sweat for Hearts

Hearts have had two extra days to recover and prepare for the clash as they beat St Mirren 1-0 in the Premiership on Friday night.

Goodwin will definitely travel to the capital without captain Anthony Stewart, who is suspended having received a straight red card at Hampden.

On-loan Liverpool midfielder Clarkson was substituted in the 74th minute after picking up an injury when shooting at goal.

Attacker Duk, who has netted 11 goals this season, was replaced just after the hour mark due to a calf problem.

Keeper Roos received treatment in the second half of the semi-final for a thigh problem, however, the Dutch stopper was fit enough to continue.

Goodwin said: “The physio and the rest of the medical team are going to be extremely busy.

“A lot of the guys cramped up and the surface played a huge part.

“We have a lot of fatigue and Hearts have had a couple of days extra to recover from their game against St Mirren.

“So they might be a little fresher than us and we might have to utilize the squad.

“Kelle Roos looks as if he has hurt his thigh.

Aberdeen’s Kelle Roos shouts in anger at full-time against Rangers. Image: SNS

“Duk was struggling early on with his calf.

“We will have to assess the squad, to make sure we have a team on the park on Wednesday that is good enough and competitive enough to get us the result we want.

“For the next few weeks, it is going to be Saturdays and midweek games, so it will be challenging times for the squad.

“That’s why we have a good, healthy, competitive squad – so that when we have to make the type of changes we have to make, potentially on Wednesday, the players coming in are of equal quality.”

Watching the goals back from yesterday; their keeper did seem to be slow in getting down to attempt to save the sevco goals. Maybe due to the injury 

1 hour ago, JamboPete said:

CLARK

HILL

SIBBICK

ROWLES

ATKINSON

DEVLIN

SNODGRASS

KINGSLEY

KUOL

HUMPHRIES

MCKAY

Hill backing up Atkinson along the right flank?

That would help Natty if, as has been presumed, his confidence isn't 100%.

2 hours ago, The White Cockade said:

Rest Devlin who's gone off the boil and play Grant who's more creative

In fairness, Devlin's biggest strength is breaking up play. St Mirren had 32% possession against us at Tynecastle and 26% possession at their shithole of a stadium, so there wasn't much play to break up.

Devlin should be much more useful against Aberdeen and their style of play, especially against tired players.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I guess all being well its Cochrane or Kingsley, Devlin or Halliday, not sure you change anything else. 

If we do go in front we stay on the front foot 

Evens things up a bit if they've got key players missing given our circs in that regard.

3-1 Hearts.

2 more sleeps.

On 14/01/2023 at 15:58, IveSeenTheLight said:

Just putting this out here now.

unfortunately I’ll miss Wednesdays game and won’t be able to comment on it either.

I go in for an operation on Wednesday.

You guys are deservedly 3rd this year so far, so no debate there.

Its a must win game for us if we have any hopes of hanging onto your tails

Good luck with the op. Hope we roger you rotten though obviously 🙂 

On 14/01/2023 at 15:58, IveSeenTheLight said:

Just putting this out here now.

unfortunately I’ll miss Wednesdays game and won’t be able to comment on it either.

I go in for an operation on Wednesday.

You guys are deservedly 3rd this year so far, so no debate there.

Its a must win game for us if we have any hopes of hanging onto your tails

Good luck with the op, hope it all goes well.

3 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

A cold get yer arse in lol

I'm in France, trying to load 3 onto the ticket exchange - Wheatfield Section F, row 20 , seats 7-9.

9 hours ago, jambo mark said:

Cochrane is undroppable at the moment. Arguably one of the first names on the team sheet.

Kingsley is a far better player

Just echoing some posters' comments about what a massive two weeks it will be, really what a massive month January could be.

Realistically, the list of teams with even an outside shot of threatening us for third are Aberdeen, St. Johnstone, St. Mirren, Livi, and Hibs.

If we manage to beat Dons and Livi this week, we will have beaten all of those teams since Christmas (plus the draw in Paisley). And quite frankly, the race for third will be suddenly all but over, with a gap of 7 over Livi and 9 over Aberdeen (at least).

As peviously posted, Feb is a tough month so we really need to cash in this month in both competitions and kick on again in March.

With the new players settling in and others getting game time after injuries, we are very well placed.