***Official Heart of Midlothian v Aberdeen Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

3 minutes ago, karipidis said:

- Extra time

- Stewart now suspended

- Morale sapping defeat and more questions from the fans about Goodwin

- Duk injured. 

going pretty well for us for Wednesday. 

Yeah, Robbie being absent from the dug out is a bit of a sore one, but hopefully won't make much difference. 

Massive game for us. All the points listed are in our favour, but we still need turn up and play with intensity. Can't be allowing ourselves to get slack and bogged down like against St Mirren. 

Confident in the players though. They'll know this is a huge game. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Don Dan

• Marvin

6 minutes ago, OTT said:

Yeah, Robbie being absent from the dug out is a bit of a sore one, but hopefully won't make much difference. 

Massive game for us. All the points listed are in our favour, but we still need turn up and play with intensity. Can't be allowing ourselves to get slack and bogged down like against St Mirren. 

Will Robbie miss the next game? 

16 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

We should never  'give away' anything!

having said that, I'm not disagreeing, but ...

This season we've been up against several teams which I'm convinced sign players by the inch. Sometimes it's looked like we've been up against teams from the land of giants.

Thankfully, height & bulk rarely compensate for skill.

The downside is that there have been too many occasions whereby our feeble refs have allowed hammer throwers & cloggers to get away with deliberate spoiling tactics.

Proper reffing in such games would curtail that type of thing, but it almost seems like that's too much to hope for.

We've got the skill-set to beat Aberdeen, regardless.

You can bet they'll be punting the ball into the box at every opportunity. 

13 minutes ago, OTT said:

Surely he’ll just sit behind the thing a la Goodwin?

22 minutes ago, karipidis said:

- Extra time

- Stewart now suspended

- Morale sapping defeat and more questions from the fans about Goodwin

- Duk injured. 

going pretty well for us for Wednesday. 

17 minutes ago, OTT said:

I don't think Stewart or Robbie will be suspended.

Unless I'm mistaken, red cards only cross competitions for Violent Conduct. Stewarts would have been for serious foul play.

I don't think managers miss games for red cards at all, just accumulation of points.

1 minute ago, Bunny Munro said:

I don't think Stewart or Robbie will be suspended.

Unless I'm mistaken, red cards only cross competitions for Violent Conduct. Stewarts would have been for serious foul play.

I don't think managers miss games for red cards at all, just accumulation of points.

It's an immediate ban regardless of competition for serious foul play 

Hopefully that result, pitch, extra time, 10 men and a few injuries will take its toll on Wednesday.

Tuck them away and they’re out the running for 3rd.

I think we should rest a few players for this game and keep them fresh for the Hibs game. 

The game against Hibs is much bigger than this game.  If we lose to Aberdeen on Wednesday I'm still confident we will finish 3rd.  If we lose to Hibs that's it, no Scottish Cup run, no Hampden, no trophy chance.

Clark

Hill    Sibbick    Rowles 

Atkinson                                      Cochrane 

Grant        Kio

Forrest            Humphrys               Kuol

11 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

It's an immediate ban regardless of competition for serious foul play 

I Stand corrected.

Can only be good for us.

2 minutes ago, tazhearts said:

I think we should rest a few players for this game and keep them fresh for the Hibs game. 

The game against Hibs is much bigger than this game.  If we lose to Aberdeen on Wednesday I'm still confident we will finish 3rd.  If we lose to Hibs that's it, no Scottish Cup run, no Hampden, no trophy chance.

Clark

Grant        Kio

It's become very clear how important the club believe 3rd place is so I'd be very very surprised if we are resting anyone with Sunday in mind. No way Snodgrass and McKay will be left out on Wednesday. 

6 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

It's become very clear how important the club believe 3rd place is so I'd be very very surprised if we are resting anyone with Sunday in mind. No way Snodgrass and McKay will be left out on Wednesday. 

I agree we probably won't rest players, but I still think we should.

With five subs available those rested can be on the bench and ready to come on if required.

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, tazhearts said:

I agree we probably won't rest players, but I still think we should.

With five subs available those rested can be on the bench and ready to come on if required.

No way we should rest players v Aberdeen, strongest team out.

Though I didn't watch the game, the use of substitutes by Aberdeen today was curious.

Only used 4 out of 6 subs. A couple of key players not used. 

Absolute Scenes
11 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Easy win, they are gash.  No suspensions or injuries for Sunday more important. 

👏

Cameronstheman
29 minutes ago, tazhearts said:

Clark

Grant        Kio

If thats the starting line up for the Sheep game id be shocked 

Feeling very confident buut worried about our right side defence.  I'd like Atkinson to start with someone reliable defensinely in front of him.  I trust RN to get it right.

RudiSkacelsLeftPeg
42 minutes ago, tazhearts said:

Clark

Grant        Kio

Seen your line up and was thinking no shankland? Then read your post..

Fair point actually but I do think we need to start Shankland. 

Kuol is going to be a big player rest of the season I think.

55 minutes ago, Badonde said:

Clark 

Hill Sibbick Rowles Cochrane 

devlin snodgrass halliday 

kuol Humphries 

shankland 

That shape is miles better.

I don’t know how anyone would want to do the 3-4–3. We are absolutely appalling to watch doing it

36 minutes ago, Albert McFly said:

Neilson already in the stand for Hibs due to yellow cards will find out which games this week after report is submitted 

Better view of things. 

40 minutes ago, Albert McFly said:

Neilson already in the stand for Hibs due to yellow cards will find out which games this week after report is submitted 

Still gets to pick the team unfortunately 🤪

14 minutes ago, whytebeard said:

That shape is miles better.

I don’t know how anyone would want to do the 3-4–3. We are absolutely appalling to watch doing it

Disagree . As much as I am not opposed to changing formation , we have been very efficient and got some great results playing fast passing attacking football in a 3 - 4 - 3 plenty of times 

Captain Lithuania

Strongest team every single time for me. Even if that means two left footed centre backs or centre mids. We should have enough to win this game and against Hibs. 

Have to start our strongest team, we can't be thinking about Sundays match v H1b5. We have a strong enough squad now. I wouldn't start Kuol or Oda but they could be very useful subs to bring on against a tired Aberdeen side. My only concern is our right side. Smith needs a rest and Atkinson isn't good enough defensively but I probably go with Natty because Aberdeen are quick in attack. We also need to keep Shinnie quiet, I thought he ran the show today for Aberdeen. 

Clark

Hill Sibbick Rowles

Atkinson                                    Corchrane 

Devlin Snodgrass 

Gino Shankland McKay

2 0 at HT, finish 2 1 after we take the foot off the gas with an eye on Hibs at the weekend. 2 wins coming up to really ramp the season up 🇱🇻

Lord Montpelier
8 minutes ago, Weonly151 said:

Have to start our strongest team, we can't be thinking about Sundays match v H1b5. We have a strong enough squad now. I wouldn't start Kuol or Oda but they could be very useful subs to bring on against a tired Aberdeen side. My only concern is our right side. Smith needs a rest and Atkinson isn't good enough defensively but I probably go with Natty because Aberdeen are quick in attack. We also need to keep Shinnie quiet, I thought he ran the show today for Aberdeen. 

Clark

Hill Sibbick Rowles

Atkinson                                    Corchrane 

Devlin Snodgrass 

Gino Shankland McKay

Wonder if Humph will play instead of Gino. Has looked dangerous since coming back and may be more suited for the battle in this one

Like Rowles but think he's been off it since the world cup. Would play Kingsley instead if fit. 

Captain Sausage

Massive week in the context of our season. 

Two wins and we are flying high. Two losses and it’ll be an uncomfortable week for Neilson and the team. 

Im confident we will see off this Aberdeen team, particularly with Duk and Stewart out. 

Tough one against the 3rd best team at the moment????...........🤔

A win and we will be 9 points clear of the 3rd best team , who wont even be 4th.:rolleyes:.

Michael Beale has dropped seamlessly into the IQ level of the average Hun fan.😂

Hoping Kingsley and Cochrane make it, in which case I'd go:

Clark

Hill          Rowles       Kingsley

Atkinson   Snodgrass    Devlin     Cochrane

Humphrys     Shankland    McKay

Harsh on Sibbick and Gino, but Kingsley and Cochrane should both start if fit, and I fancy Humps against that lot.

the real mackay
On 13/01/2023 at 22:58, hmfc_liam06 said:

I’d like to see us change the formation for this one - 4-3-2-1.

Assuming Cochrane doesn’t make it. Devlin needs dropped and we need more in the midfield.

Clark

Smith

Hill

Rowles

Kingsley

Snodgrass

Kio

Grant

McKay

Kuol

Shankland

You have to be kidding having Kio and Grant in midfield in such an important game. Not knocking the guys but they haven’t shown anything that would inspire me to start them.

Drylaw Hearts

We need to try and get this game out of sight as early as possible to get guys like Shankland and Snodgrass out of there in preparation for Sunday.

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

Disagree . As much as I am not opposed to changing formation , we have been very efficient and got some great results playing fast passing attacking football in a 3 - 4 - 3 plenty of times 

The beauty of football and opinions.

i see the complete opposite. I see pointless passing, possession heavy with minimum intent. The 2 st mirren games are prime examples, absolutely bossed possession but had fewer chances. Maybe partly is playing snodgrass and devlin together in that formation - don’t think it works. St mirren away the 2nd formation change help change the intent, that’s how I would always start.

best I have seen us play this season was Zurich at home and that was 4 at the back.

Does he go with Smith again? I think he will. He'll go back to Devlin. And the rest the same as per vs St Mirren. 

Kingsley bench at best.

Personally, rather see back four, Smith, Hill/Sibbick, Rowles, Cochrane

Midfield of Snodgrass, Devlin and Grant

And up top Shankland, McKay and Humphrys

Edited by Riccarton3

56 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

Massive week in the context of our season. 

Two wins and we are flying high. Two losses and it’ll be an uncomfortable week for Neilson and the team. 

Im confident we will see off this Aberdeen team, particularly with Duk and Stewart out. 

If duk is out that’s a major bonus for us, was very impressive against us earlier in the season. He looks quick and direct every time I have saw him.

any time a regular centre half and captain is out, bonus for the opposition. Hopefully we take total advantage 

I'm pretty confident going into this one. I haven't bought the hype around Aberdeen this year. On our day we are winning nine times out of ten. The boys should rise to the occasion 

14 minutes ago, whytebeard said:

If duk is out that’s a major bonus for us, was very impressive against us earlier in the season. He looks quick and direct every time I have saw him.

any time a regular centre half and captain is out, bonus for the opposition. Hopefully we take total advantage 

Tough loss in extra time in the semi 😊

Aberdeen were decent today, but that is clearly them playing to the occasion. That's not what they are turning in every week, not even close.

Their away record is horrible, they've just played 120 minutes on a heavy pitch, 30 with 10 men. They'll be missing their captain and first choice CH and best attacking player could be out. We should really eb looking to win.