Robbie Neilson ( merged )

Absolute Scenes

52 minutes ago, Boris5115 said:

Barring a collapse we should be back in Europe next season. Our squad needs to improve to cope with the midweek and weekend football should we qualify for the group stages again. The summer recruitment needs to be a good one. 

Yeah, we had a really rough start to the season. If Hibs or Aberdeen hadn't been dropping points every other week, things could have been a lot tougher for us in our pursuit of 3rd. 

I would really like to see us manage the increased fixture load a bit better. I don't think finishing 3rd 3 times on the bounce has been done by a Hearts manager in a long time. Obviously, get this season squared away first. But as a goal, achieving that would be a good milestone, both for the club and Robbie. 

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Naisys Tackle

• i wish jj was my dad

• BlueRiver

Good result and a strong team with who we had available, and into the Quarter Finals of the Scottish Cup. 

Didn't **** around with tactics, just sent us out to win tonight. 

Brighton Jambo

He was excellent tonight.  First half the team selection and formation absolutely dominated the game.  Hamilton made some changes second half and came into the game for 15 minutes but Robbies changes in response led to the second goal and we cruised it.

As he said in this interview the cameras were there tonight hoping crap weather and a dodgy pitch might lead to an upset but our keeper barely had a save to make and we cruised it.  And excellent night all round, well done to those who went. 

Edited by Brighton Jambo

His message before the match was that the team had to outwork Hamilton then let their quality take over. The players clearly took that on board. It was good to see us on the front foot and controlling a match right from the kick off. 

First half we were good, but our finishing wasn't so. 

2nd half wasn't great, but his subs had a good impact. 

Didn't like the Grant for Forrest sub though. Would have preferred to have got Devlin on and eventually got Gino off for Oda or Kuol. 

Got the result though which is what was important. 

Agreed. Credit due tonight. Professionally handled and safely through to the quarter finals. Well done Robbie and the team. 
I would absolutely love him to lift the cup this year. 🤞

2 hours ago, OTT said:

I don't think finishing 3rd 3 times on the bounce has been done by a Hearts manager in a long time.

Only been achieved twice in our entire history (3rd or better, 3 times in a row).

The last was 59/60 when we did it 5 times in a row (twice as champions). The only other was 1911-1914 when we did it 3 times in a row (including a runners up finish).

I really don't think that as support (I include myself) we truly grasp how big an achievement (historically speaking) consecutive 3rd places are for our club.

Since that 5 in a row that ended in 1960 we have only once finished in 3rd place in consecutive seasons once. That was under Levein in the early 2000's.

Another 3rd place this season would be outstanding, do it again next year and we would genuinely be experiencing something remarkable.

40 minutes ago, OTT said:

First half we were good, but our finishing wasn't so. 

2nd half wasn't great, but his subs had a good impact. 

Didn't like the Grant for Forrest sub though. Would have preferred to have got Devlin on and eventually got Gino off for Oda or Kuol. 

Got the result though which is what was important. 

Missed Shankland. 

46 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

Only been achieved twice in our entire history (3rd or better, 3 times in a row).

The last was 59/60 when we did it 5 times in a row (twice as champions). The only other was 1911-1914 when we did it 3 times in a row (including a runners up finish).

I really don't think that as support (I include myself) we truly grasp how big an achievement (historically speaking) consecutive 3rd places are for our club.

Since that 5 in a row that ended in 1960 we have only once finished in 3rd place in consecutive seasons once. That was under Levein in the early 2000's.

Another 3rd place this season would be outstanding, do it again next year and we would genuinely be experiencing something remarkable.

Exactly. It's a tremendous achievement. 

I'll maintain too many of our support have bought into the third force chat hook line and sinker. They've not really applied much scrutiny to how true that idea is though! 

10 hours ago, BlueRiver said:

Exactly. It's a tremendous achievement. 

I'll maintain too many of our support have bought into the third force chat hook line and sinker. They've not really applied much scrutiny to how true that idea is though! 

It is as an overall statement. Weve finished 3rd the most and have the most overall points etc outwith the OF.

But the top 4 is truly cyclical, generally changing every season. We've simply been in that mix more often than others.

Properly establishing ourselves as the regular 3rd, similar to the uglies in the first 2 spots, is surely the aim. Make it a 3 (albeit with us solidly 3rd in the 3). Robbie and the club have us firmly on track for this. Which is only a good thing.

Bazzas right boot
10 hours ago, jr ewing said:

Missed Shankland. 

Team misses top goal scorer and captain?

Who'd have funked it?

On 08/02/2023 at 19:05, Led Tasso said:

That's it. Didn't work out like I thought it would, but thanks anyway. I feel like there's some kind of expected additional cost function that would level things out a little more but it's clearly not natural log. . .

I think that's because he or she hasn't actually done anything with the points log figure in relation to the money spent figure!

With Motherwell coming up next with a caretaker in charge, it got me thinking about how in his first spell folk used to criticise Robbie for always changing our shape and approach in reaction to our opponent. 

It is interesting that we have almost completely stopped doing this. The shape stays the same every game and with a couple of exceptions, we play the same style virtually every game. Against Livi away, we went noticeably more direct and looked for space behind their fullbacks on the counter (and I think this might have been the attempted plan Sevco - but that all went the way of the famous Tyson quote). Aside from that, 343, draw in the opponents, work from side to side until there’s an opening - or look for the quick switch. Never cross the ball into an empty box. Go back if you can’t go forward. Work the overloads. Press. 

It is a huge sign of confidence in the personnel and the system that we now stick to our principles and let other teams adapt to us. 

It wasn’t that long ago when we would have been on an uncertain footing playing against a caretaker who might change the system - and could easily have ended up trying a less familiar shape ourselves in response. 

Great to see us backing ourselves and our beliefs. 

Bazzas right boot
On 11/02/2023 at 09:29, TheBigO said:

It is as an overall statement. Weve finished 3rd the most and have the most overall points etc outwith the OF.

But the top 4 is truly cyclical, generally changing every season. We've simply been in that mix more often than others.

Properly establishing ourselves as the regular 3rd, similar to the uglies in the first 2 spots, is surely the aim. Make it a 3 (albeit with us solidly 3rd in the 3). Robbie and the club have us firmly on track for this. Which is only a good thing.

Thats the point tho, We need to finish 3rd regularly before we can be classed as the "3rd force" in the modern era.

Some Folk discuss it as the minimum and no big deal if we finish 3rd.

History and Context says that is not the case if we can finish 3rd regularly then it will be a tremendous achievement,  one we've only completed once in our history- in the 60's.

If we do that, which we are on course to do then yes we can and are looking up.

The reality is We've been in the championship in the last decade as much as we've finished 3rd!

...With our 3rd place finishes coming under a manager who a small section of our support want removed. 

You can't make that up.

Edited by Bazzas right boot

Fair play, Robbie sorted a lot of stuff out on Friday and the performance was a lot better. I wonder if he read my last post because it was nearly all in there.

Kingsley makes a massive difference in the back three, his presence allows us to overload that side to break down a stubborn defence. If Kingsley isn't available don't play a back three, it's that simple.

Grant in midfield did pretty well, I'm not convinced he's better than McEneff but whatever, that decision has been made and we will only find out if Grant is our guy if he gets a run of games.

Oda coming into a winning team will hopefully have had a positive experience, there's talent there but there's also a steep learning curve for Scottish football, Robbie needs to feed him in slowly. Atkinson also got a little cameo, it's not enough but good to see.

There was still flashes of the old Robbie madness were he emptied our midfield for 5-10 minutes. I don't know how he thought Forrest was going to replace Grant. Robbie seems to believe Forrest is some sort of utility man who can slot in anywhere, I don't see that at all. However, he realised his mistake, put Devlin on and we were comfortable from there on.

I'm not Robbie out, I am someone who hopes Robbie can do better, Friday was much better long may it continue.

3 minutes ago, Niall said:

Fair play, Robbie sorted a lot of stuff out on Friday and the performance was a lot better. I wonder if he read my last post because it was nearly all in there.

Kingsley makes a massive difference in the back three, his presence allows us to overload that side to break down a stubborn defence. If Kingsley isn't available don't play a back three, it's that simple.

Grant in midfield did pretty well, I'm not convinced he's better than McEneff but whatever, that decision has been made and we will only find out if Grant is our guy if he gets a run of games.

Oda coming into a winning team will hopefully have had a positive experience, there's talent there but there's also a steep learning curve for Scottish football, Robbie needs to feed him in slowly. Atkinson also got a little cameo, it's not enough but good to see.

There was still flashes of the old Robbie madness were he emptied our midfield for 5-10 minutes. I don't know how he thought Forrest was going to replace Grant. Robbie seems to believe Forrest is some sort of utility man who can slot in anywhere, I don't see that at all. However, he realised his mistake, put Devlin on and we were comfortable from there on.

I'm not Robbie out, I am someone who hopes Robbie can do better, Friday was much better long may it continue.

It was 7 minutes. Probably about how long it would take Cam to get warmed up properly after an unexpected and enforced change - and after he didn’t finish the game last time out trying to play through a tight hamstring. 

I suspect Humphrys for Forrest on around the hour was the planned change and he swapped them round to buy time to make sure Cam didn’t get injured. 

Weird thing to get cross about. Happens all the time. 

1 hour ago, CMc said:

It was 7 minutes. Probably about how long it would take Cam to get warmed up properly after an unexpected and enforced change - and after he didn’t finish the game last time out trying to play through a tight hamstring. 

I suspect Humphrys for Forrest on around the hour was the planned change and he swapped them round to buy time to make sure Cam didn’t get injured. 

Yep itll have been a game where the hope would be comfort and the subs planned out reasonably precisely given recent injuries and illness.

Id think it was Cam can only play X mins, or as you say, wasnt warmed up yet, knowing he'd come on at an exact point

1 hour ago, Niall said:

I think Robbie is improving as a Manager in unison with the team\squad improvement.   

Robbies doing great now we have a squad with real quality (with more to come back hopefully). We are doing what the old firm do to an extent and having real top drawer quality on the bench to bring on and change games. We’ve never had that before in a long long time.  Look at the Utd game, subs changed it completely. Other teams (cheeks aside) just don’t have that in their locker. If we get euro groups again then we go that bit further again. Great times

Edited by 1971fozzy

2 hours ago, CMc said:

Exactly. Forrest and Devlin for Humphrys and Grant makes perfect sense as a double swap. Grant needing to come off skewed it a bit and Robbie said to Forrest, get in there and hold your own for a bit until Cammy comes in.

2 hours ago, CMc said:

Ok cool, I'm on a hair trigger because Robbie has made so many mental decisions recently but I buy the explanation that Cammy needed time to warm up and it wasn't worth injuring him again.

All's well that ends well.

4 minutes ago, Niall said:

Ok cool, I'm on a hair trigger because Robbie has made so many mental decisions recently but I buy the explanation that Cammy needed time to warm up and it wasn't worth injuring him again.

Aside from the team lineup for the Sevco game (which I am more than happy to concede), what are these multiple mental decisions?

1 hour ago, 1971fozzy said:

Robbies doing great now we have a squad with real quality (with more to come back hopefully). We are doing what the old firm do to an extent and having real top drawer quality on the bench to bring on and change games. We’ve never had that before in a long long time.  Look at the Utd game, subs changed it completely. Other teams (cheeks aside) just don’t have that in their locker. If we get euro groups again then we go that bit further again. Great times

totally agree, having subs that can actually change the course of the game really is a game changer for us. Humps especially has been an inspired signing and has really helped us gain control of games coming from the bench. His powerful running on the ball is like a ****ing train, once he gets going stopping him is very difficult. I don't think defenders enjoying playing against him. 

I remember being a bit underwhelmed when we signed Humps (after Woodburn, I wasn't sure what we'd be getting), so its nice to be wrong :) 

13 minutes ago, OTT said:

totally agree, having subs that can actually change the course of the game really is a game changer for us. Humps especially has been an inspired signing and has really helped us gain control of games coming from the bench. His powerful running on the ball is like a ****ing train, once he gets going stopping him is very difficult. I don't think defenders enjoying playing against him. 

I remember being a bit underwhelmed when we signed Humps (after Woodburn, I wasn't sure what we'd be getting), so its nice to be wrong :) 

He’s been great - I really think him playing 45 minutes to an hour brings the best out of him - allows him to be really explosive. 

Grant has been very good off the bench recently. 

Forrest has contributed well. 

Mental to think about our bench in a couple of month’s time - Beni, Boyce, Halks all either on it or forcing a current starter on to it. Two of Kingsley, Rowles, Halks and Sibbick on the bench. One of Devlin, Beni or Snodgrass on the bench. Two of Humphrys, Boyce and Gino on the bench. Haliday, Kio and Oda Potentially not in the squad some weeks?

i wish jj was my dad
3 hours ago, Niall said:

If you are on a hair trigger this season what are you like during seasons where we are mediocre or even shite? 

Bazzas right boot
5 hours ago, Niall said:

So many mental decisions?

Edited by Bazzas right boot

The current media speculation about who the likely candidates for the Motherwell job are likely to be is a stark reminder - if any were needed - of just how lucky we are to have a settled & relatively successful management team (Robbie & Joe) running the show.

Yogi Hughes, Jack Ross, Tommy Wright, James McPake, Ian McCall, Stuart Kettlewell  .......       basically any  Prem/Champ SPFL manager looking for a job.        Can you imagine any of the Scottish "usual suspects" being able to replicate what Robbie & Joe have done ?

Christ, I hope if we're ever needing a new manager - hopefully a long, long time away - then we're looking  several levels above that lot.    

Naisys Tackle
4 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

The current media speculation about who the likely candidates for the Motherwell job are likely to be is a stark reminder - if any were needed - of just how lucky we are to have a settled & relatively successful management team (Robbie & Joe) running the show.

Yogi Hughes, Jack Ross, Tommy Wright, James McPake, Ian McCall, Stuart Kettlewell  .......       basically any  Prem/Champ SPFL manager looking for a job.        Can you imagine any of the Scottish "usual suspects" being able to replicate what Robbie & Joe have done ?

Christ, I hope if we're ever needing a new manager - hopefully a long, long time away - then we're looking  several levels above that lot.    

Grant McCann has applied, imo a very decent upcoming manager.   We are much more attractive than Motherwell too. 

Edited by Robbies Tackle

36 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

The tragic roundabout of has beens and never will be’s. 

2 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Yes…but we could get an even better manager than that lot such as…..er….well….it’s not up to me to give a name, that’s up to someone else to do so I can subsequently criticise them when it goes tits up.

On 13/02/2023 at 13:42, Niall said:

Yes, I imagine he's been following your posts avidly. 

9 hours ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Grant McCann has applied, imo a very decent upcoming manager.   We are much more attractive than Motherwell too. 

Not sure ‘very decent upcoming managers’ get sacked by league 1 Peterborough likes..

2 hours ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

Not sure ‘very decent upcoming managers’ get sacked by league 1 Peterborough likes..

He's been sacked at every club he's managed so far. 

On 13/02/2023 at 13:42, Niall said:

Robbie with a playing career spanning 14 years and a coaching career coming up 8 years, what inspiration do you go to when the game needs to change?

Well I tell my players to go warm up and then I check Jambos Kickback to see what I need to do, it's an invaluable resource for a coach like me that's out of his depth and tactically inept, some of the best coaches in world football right there 😂😂😂

3 minutes ago, Bozi said:

Robbie with a playing career spanning 14 years and a coaching career coming up 8 years, what inspiration do you go to when the game needs to change?

Well I tell my players to go warm up and then I check Jambos Kickback to see what I need to do, it's an invaluable resource for a coach like me that's out of his depth and tactically inept, some of the best coaches in world football right there 😂😂😂

👍😂

55 minutes ago, Bozi said:

He’s better just giving Mitch41 a call. Saves trawling JKB. 

48 minutes ago, Rudolf said:

He’s better just giving Mitch41 a call. Saves trawling JKB. 

Wouldn’t need to. He would just have to stand in the concourse until Mitch came around trawling for like-minded fans deeply troubled by the current levels of performance. 

I suspect he’d be easy to spot. 

37 minutes ago, CMc said:

Wouldn’t need to. He would just have to stand in the concourse until Mitch came around trawling for like-minded fans deeply troubled by the current levels of performance. 

😂😂😂

Naisys Tackle
7 hours ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

Or MK Dons?

Naisys Tackle
5 hours ago, luckydug said:

He's been sacked at every club he's managed so far. 

Apart from Doncaster.  Then took Hull into the champion and then lost his job because they got taken over.   Doesn't make him a bad manager.  His teams play good football and would be a good appointment for Motherwell. 

3 hours ago, CMc said:

Pants on his heed and daffodils up his nose👍

9 hours ago, Bozi said:

:🤣

i wish jj was my dad
4 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

Pants on his heed and daffodils up his nose👍

Demanding we play four centre halfs and getting in their faces. Just like Fergie would have done apparently.