Robbie Neilson ( merged )

Absolute Scenes

22 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I totally agree with your point, Atkinson should play if Smith is unavailable and I honestly don't get why he's not getting the opportunity. It seems a bit strange and even stranger given that Forrest has started with him on the bench. 

I get Atkinson hasn't had the easiest of starts here but he's had some very good games for us and he's young enough to improve. 

Ultimately we don't know the reasons, we can only speculate.

As for Forrest at RWB. Many wingers have successfully turned into wing backs, perhaps we believe Forrest could flourish as an attacking wing back. I don't know, 🤷🏻‍♂️ but I'd suspect that learning that position would take him time and wouldn't be something he'd master after 2 or 3 brief appearances. 

But you're right. An out of form Atkinson is probably going to be more efficient at RWB than Forrest. 

:spoton:

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Naisys Tackle

• i wish jj was my dad

• BlueRiver

43 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Let's flip this around and see which squads get the best value per £ spent.

Now major caveat, these salaries are taken from https://salarysport.com/football/scottish-premiership and could be wildly wrong. I'm hoping they are all equally as accurate/innacurate though I'm surprised they have Hibs spend above us (Boyle maybe?) and Rangers outspending Celtic. This also doesn't take into consideration transfer fees spent which is far more difficult to gauge. 

image.png.3fac0faebb1e4aef1e3f31dbc2409965.png

* Teams in gold have a game in hand. 
* Utd budget from previous year 

We could plug any better/more plausible sources if available, this is just to illustrate that bridging the gap is difficult for anyone outwith the old firm. Its far easier  for Kilmarnock to have a good season at our expense spending 50% of our wages, than it is for us to bridge that gap to the old firm who outspend us by a factor of 5. 3rd - 10th is a bit of a crab bucket and we've done really well to extricate ourselves from it all things considered. 

I'd love us to use our relative success to cement a 3rd best - and use that as a platform to draw some distance from the pack. Our recruitment team makes me as excited as our relatively improved spending ability does, as we are researching our players very intelligently - and spending much more wisely. 

I'm happy with those stats, backs up my opinion that Stephen Robinson and David Martindale are better than what we've got. 

17 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I'm happy with those stats, backs up my opinion that Stephen Robinson and David Martindale are better than what we've got. 

It's interesting how you pounced quicker than a politician as soon as you saw some isolated stats that you feel back up your argument, whilst I shared them out of interest as a rough illustration of the gap that people are demanding Neilson bridges, there was a trap there too...you haven't borne in mind that we have the luxury of spending ££ per point compared to what Livi spend, so points accrued per spend is only a rough metric. For the old firm, 10 times so! ;)

32 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Aye we should go for Malky MacKay aswell while we're at it.

3 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

It's interesting how you pounced quicker than a politician as soon as you saw some isolated stats that you feel back up your argument, whilst I shared them out of interest as a rough illustration of the gap that people are demanding Neilson bridges, there was a trap there too...you haven't borne in mind that we have the luxury of spending ££ per point compared to what Livi spend, so points accrued per spend is only a rough metric. For the old firm, 10 times so! ;)

I didn't pounce, i just happened to ponder upon it. 

Neilson is the best of all time, no point arguing. 

Edited by Greedy Jambo

34 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

You reckon they will “take us to the next level”? 

7 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I didn't pounce, i just happened to ponder upon it. 

Well, you certainly didn't ponder fof long as you seem to have concluded a direct correlation between  budget £s per point and quality of manager.

Not to mention taking the figures as gospel.

kingantti1874
40 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

have either of those managers ever coached a team to play on the front foot, dominate possession and try and win a game? 

Im pretty sure you’d be calling for their heads after 6 games sitting in and hitting on the break.  They set up solid teams who are effective hitting on the break to physical effective players. 

See Jim Goodwin at Aberdeen.  PS international level footballers would never stand for Martindales shit / attitude.  He gets away with it at Livingston by giving broken talent their last shot at glory.  

pps. He will never ever leave livi anyway. 

1 hour ago, Luckies1874 said:

Like the poster you are replying to I don't think there is any need to be looking for a replacement for Robbie but I totally disagree with your general point. Hearts are in a much much better position to be replacing Robbie, when the time is right, whenever that is, to secure a far better level of candidate. We also now have football people who have the best interests of the club at heart and in Savage someone who clearly has contacts around the globe and knows what he is doing. We will also have a budget that exceeds anything we've previously had (through legitimate means) both to entice someone salary wise and in respect to the quality of the 1st team squad they'll be in charge of. Absolutely no reason we can't bring in an exciting replacement when the time comes.  

Yes there is - money.

Anybody decent will likely get better offers from elsewhere.  That leaves you filtering the leftovers from Poundland 

19 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Yes there is - money.

Anybody decent will likely get better offers from elsewhere.  That leaves you filtering the leftovers from Poundland 

So we can't find a manager on the up just like we are finding players on the up? Absolute and utter nonsense. Just like we've signed players with potential such as Rowles and Cochrane we could find manager with ambitions to go to the EPL or wherever in due course. We will be able to offer a competitive salary, a great work environment and training setup, a brilliant stadium and fanbase, a recruitment team who know what they are doing etc etc. I'd be very positive as to who will be interested in the Hearts jobs when it becomes available. This isn't the same as a 'search' under our DoF Levein and his preferred agents / cronies. 

Edited by Luckies1874

i wish jj was my dad
21 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

have either of those managers ever coached a team to play on the front foot, dominate possession and try and win a game? 

Im pretty sure you’d be calling for their heads after 6 games sitting in and hitting on the break.  They set up solid teams who are effective hitting on the break to physical effective players. 

See Jim Goodwin at Aberdeen.  PS international level footballers would never stand for Martindales shit / attitude.  He gets away with it at Livingston by giving broken talent their last shot at glory.  

pps. He will never ever leave livi anyway. 

Excellent post. I was making the same but opposite point on tge posta thingy thread. Putting him in a relegation scrap would be as sensible as putting Stendel in the scrap. Similarly, Martindale or Robinson wouldnt know what to do with  the demands and expectations of 18,000 at Tynecastle who won't take kindly to having 10 men behind the ball against Dundee Utd scrapping away.  Transporting somebody like  Martindale to Tynecastle or Pittodrie would be like Clough at Leeds. 

45 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

So we can't find a manager on the up just like we are finding players on the up? Absolute and utter nonsense. Just like we've signed players with potential such as Rowles and Cochrane we could find manager with ambitions to go to the EPL or wherever in due course. We will be able to offer a competitive salary, a great work environment and training setup, a brilliant stadium and fanbase, a recruitment team who know what they are doing etc etc. I'd be very positive as to who will be interested in the Hearts jobs when it becomes available. This isn't the same as a search under our DoF Levein and his preferred agents / cronies. 

Competitive salary as far as Scottish clubs are concerned. Would be dwarfed by plenty of clubs (all across Europe, not just on these isles). Lee Johnson reportedly took a massive pay cut from Sunderland to Hibs. Ok, turns out he is a slavouring idiot but that is a League One club paying substantially more than the 4th/5th biggest club in Scotland can offer. 

You may be right about all the other bits we could offer in the package but I’d imagine it all boils down to money for someone “up and coming” 

2 minutes ago, damo said:

Competitive salary as far as Scottish clubs are concerned. Would be dwarfed by plenty of clubs (all across Europe, not just on these isles). Lee Johnson reportedly took a massive pay cut from Sunderland to Hibs. Ok, turns out he is a slavouring idiot but that is a League One club paying substantially more than the 4th/5th biggest club in Scotland can offer. 

You may be right about all the other bits we could offer in the package but I’d imagine it all boils down to money for someone “up and coming” 

I'm not disputing what they might be offered elsewhere the point is when Hearts are looking who knows who else will be looking at that time. And whether that individual will be at the point of finding a club in England (as an example) who want them. The stepping stone, just like it is for players, might be that they come to a club like Hearts. It also might be someone who has taken that step up and for whatever reason it hasn't worked and they need to take a step down to our level to regroup and mend a reputation. The point remains that Hearts will be in a far better position to acquire and recruit a higher level that at any point in our past given the solidity of the club in general and our relative resources in comparison to the past. And certainly compared to the utter shambles overseen by Levein and Budge in recent times. 

13 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

I'm not disputing what they might be offered elsewhere the point is when Hearts are looking who knows who else will be looking at that time. And whether that individual will be at the point of finding a club in England (as an example) who want them. The stepping stone, just like it is for players, might be that they come to a club like Hearts. It also might be someone who has taken that step up and for whatever reason it hasn't worked and they need to take a step down to our level to regroup and mend a reputation. The point remains that Hearts will be in a far better position to acquire and recruit a higher level that at any point in our past given the solidity of the club in general and our relative resources in comparison to the past. And certainly compared to the utter shambles overseen by Levein and Budge in recent times. 

Fair enough however I’d say the financial strength of the club in recent times is thanks to Robbie  (and Ann Budge). The high league placings (and Europe), cup finals, home sell outs every game all contribute greatly to our sound financial footing. Seems we are heading for 3rd again and another good few million in the bank.

5 minutes ago, damo said:

Fair enough however I’d say the financial strength of the club in recent times is thanks to Robbie  (and Ann Budge). The high league placings (and Europe), cup finals, home sell outs every game all contribute greatly to our sound financial footing. Seems we are heading for 3rd again and another good few million in the bank.

My initial post was very much backing Robbie and saying that in no way is this an argument seeking him being replaced! Just that I am far more bullish about our options if and when that time comes. Equally I am fully aware of Budge's work off the pitch, my comment about her and Levein was purely down to their dire managerial 'searches' pre the return of Neilson. I would also caveat that point by saying Budge was entirely at the mercy of Levein when it came to footballing matters. 

The financial strength of the cub is in the main down to the insane and sustained backing our support have given the club as well by the way! 

Edited by Luckies1874

4 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

My initial post was very much backing Robbie and saying that in no way is this an argument seeking him being replaced! Just that I am far more bullish about our options if and when that time comes. Equally I am fully aware of Budge's work off the pitch, my comment about her and Levein was purely down to their dire managerial 'searches' pre the return of Neilson. I would also caveat that point by saying Budge was entirely at the mercy of Levein when it came to footballing matters. 

The financial strength of the cub is in the main down to the insane and sustained backing our support have given the club as well by the way! 

Apologies. Picked you up wrong re Levein and Budge.  

1 hour ago, Luckies1874 said:

The financial strength argument is relative when you put us against say an English Championship club.  We'd have to take a punt on someone who needs to rebuild their reputation after an unsuccessful appointment.

If we go after an in demand manager and are head to head with a Championship club we will lose every time.

4 minutes ago, frankblack said:

The financial strength argument is relative when you put us against say an English Championship club.  We'd have to take a punt on someone who needs to rebuild their reputation after an unsuccessful appointment.

If we go after an in demand manager and are head to head with a Championship club we will lose every time.

You've brought up English Championship sides not me! Of course if say Sunderland are looking for a Championship manager the very same time as we are and want the same guy he will highly likely go there due to the financial offer. But if and when Hearts are replacing Robbie we might look at someone from Australia or Japan, someone previously unconnected to Scottish football. Like we have been doing with player recruitment. I see Hearts being far more global in their next search for a Head Coach.

2 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

You've brought up English Championship sides not me! Of course if say Sunderland are looking for a Championship manager the very same time as we are and want the same guy he will highly likely go there due to the financial offer. But if and when Hearts are replacing Robbie we might look at someone from Australia or Japan, someone previously unconnected to Scottish football. Like we have been doing with player recruitment. I see Hearts being far more global in their next search for a Head Coach.

That is an even bigger punt, which at our level will fail more often than find a gem.

1 minute ago, frankblack said:

That is an even bigger punt, which at our level will fail more often than find a gem.

:rofl: Ok Mr Pessimistic. I have faith in Savage given recent player recruitment and his contacts. You be a naysayer and I guess at some point we will find out what pull we have as a club with real actual football people in charge of the appointment. 

8 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Did they play in Europe and have multiple injuries, yet still sit 3rd? No, didn't think so. 

Livingston won't finish in the top 6.

Bazzas right boot
12 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I can think of one, supposedly ex player, who doesn’t post anymore that would come out with that but I’m sure you could count them all on the fingers of one hand.  They’re as deluded as the folk that think Robbie is irreplaceable. 

Who stated Bob is irreplaceable?

6 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

:rofl: Ok Mr Pessimistic. I have faith in Savage given recent player recruitment and his contacts. You be a naysayer and I guess at some point we will find out what pull we have as a club with real actual football people in charge of the appointment. 

You are kidding yourself.

This isn't about Savage.  He can't force someone to join us that has bigger aspirations than a Scottish football team with vastly inferior resources to the old firm.

Bazzas right boot

Christ on a bike.

Caught up to date with the banter on here and we're now at-

Robinson 

Martindale 

Some mystery Asian super manager, who I suppose always wanted to move to Scotland and manage his child hood club- Hearts. 

This thread is a beamer.

14 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Christ on a bike.

Caught up to date with the banter on here and we're now at-

Robinson 

Martindale 

Some mystery Asian super manager, who I suppose always wanted to move to Scotland and manage his child hood club- Hearts. 

This thread is a beamer.

I wonder if other fan bases moan so much about a current manager who is smashing all expectations and want him replaced by utter garbage or complete fantasy?

After the terrible manager choices of the Romanov era and the garbage we have had over the last 5+ years, you would think fans would be dreading the loss of Robbie not fantasizing about his replacement..

Bazzas right boot
39 minutes ago, ScottieMac17 said:

I wonder if other fan bases moan so much about a current manager who is smashing all expectations and want him replaced by utter garbage or complete fantasy?

After the terrible manager choices of the Romanov era and the garbage we have had over the last 5+ years, you would think fans would be dreading the loss of Robbie not fantasizing about his replacement..

You really would, but nope....

Robinson 

😭

44 minutes ago, ScottieMac17 said:

Aberdeen supporters did...  😎

57 minutes ago, ScottieMac17 said:

I don't think it's exclusive to Hearts but we have always had our share of moaning minnies.  In the past it was a moan at the game, a grumble in the pub etc.  Nowadays social media platforms allow people to vent their anger instantly to a wider audience even during games (which I find bizarre).  I am not dismissing genuine concerns during bad periods but I know a few people who have a dark outlook on everything regardless of how well or bad we are doing.  We could name a good few on here.

Ex member of the SaS
12 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

Like the poster you are replying to I don't think there is any need to be looking for a replacement for Robbie but I totally disagree with your general point. Hearts are in a much much better position to be replacing Robbie, when the time is right, whenever that is, to secure a far better level of candidate. We also now have football people who have the best interests of the club at heart and in Savage someone who clearly has contacts around the globe and knows what he is doing. We will also have a budget that exceeds anything we've previously had (through legitimate means) both to entice someone salary wise and in respect to the quality of the 1st team squad they'll be in charge of. Absolutely no reason we can't bring in an exciting replacement when the time comes.  

Totally agree. Robbie should not be the pinnacle of our ambitions. I think most ( apart from a few who seem to hold a personal grudge ) know he is doing well, but there are times when he seems lost, for want of a better description. Tactics, selections and subs ( and when to make then ) are often bizarre and some results paper over the cracks.

17 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Aberdeen supporters did...  😎

Could be wrong Dave but his last 3 seasons brought about three 4th place finishes with arguably the highest wage bracket outside the OF. Going by this thread, the "noise" would be off the charts if that was us. 😜

Been a sh1tshow for them since. Definitely an example of how being successful at a smaller club in this league does not guarantee success at a bigger club.  i.e. Goodwin. 

Staying with Aberdeen, I see Chris Wilder has snubbed them this morning. Wonder why that was. 

16 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Slow ponderous play....

Perform far better.....

getting ripped of teams bottom of the league.....

Checks notes 

Utd, 2w, 1d -9 goals for 2 against

Motherwell  p2, w2-for 6 against 2.

P5, w4, d1- f 15 against 4.

3rd in the league,  3rd most goals scored.

The issue  with you, as it is many others is that you make up shite and post it as criticism. 

Whether it be the nonsense above or inventing new targets like the  next level stuff.

You sound utterly ridiculous. 

You just make up shite and post it.

All because you dislike the guy in charge.

Mental behaviour.

Add in that since we came back from the world cup break, against the teams who are below us in the league we have played 

9 games, won 6 drew 3 (all away) scored 20 goals and conceded 8.

Yes we aren't "blowing teams away" for the most part but we are winning games, creating a winning mentality and even when teams come and play in a way that makes it difficult we are finding a way to win.

Yes TheRangers game was a disaster but the biggest complaint normally is that Robbie is too cautious and "shites himself" well he tried to go toe-to-toe with them and we got skudded..we still have some way to go and yes we may need to be patient at times but it's hard to complain when results are this good 

1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

This thread is a beamer.

Sums it up perfectly tbh, only Hearts fans would be debating the merits of sacking a manager who’s doing well & on course to achieve our first back to back 3rd place in nearly 20 years

pettigrewsstylist
14 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Something is up with Natty. Not my place to guess what but the coaching staff are not going to just forget about a guy who was our first choice RWB for a while without some reason. There's rumors as to why and they're just rumors but it's plain there's something going on.

Hard to disagree with this. Surprised he didnt leave in window after WC. Maybe potential suitors are simply asking themselves same question ref club selection.

Either way, glad RN and Atkinson keeping it private.

pettigrewsstylist
14 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Something is up with Natty. Not my place to guess what but the coaching staff are not going to just forget about a guy who was our first choice RWB for a while without some reason. There's rumors as to why and they're just rumors but it's plain there's something going on.

Hard to disagree with this. Surprised he didnt leave in window after WC. Maybe potential suitors are simply asking themselves same question ref club selection.

Either way, glad RN and Atkinson keeping it private.

1 hour ago, TexasAndy said:

I don't think it's exclusive to Hearts but we have always had our share of moaning minnies.  In the past it was a moan at the game, a grumble in the pub etc.  Nowadays social media platforms allow people to vent their anger instantly to a wider audience even during games (which I find bizarre).  I am not dismissing genuine concerns during bad periods but I know a few people who have a dark outlook on everything regardless of how well or bad we are doing.  We could name a good few on here.

1 hour ago, Barack said:

Anyone on this thread willing to admit that they post on Hearts' Facebook page & fan group page?

Be interesting.

I was quite alarmed / saddened / surprised on Sunday looking at some comments on Facebook posted as the first half was coming to close on Saturday's game.

Robbie out before the game had completed.

clearly a reflection on modern society - the need for instant gratification (in years gone by, usually calls for a managers head would build during a season with a possible change mid or 3/4 of a season gone). Added to this is social media providing an instant and unfiltered platform for people to share their views.

Sinbad the Sailor

Congratulations Robbie has won manager of the month not a bad indictment for those of us who have a clue about football on this thread✌️

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Jim Panzee said:

I was quite alarmed / saddened / surprised on Sunday looking at some comments on Facebook posted as the first half was coming to close on Saturday's game.

clearly a reflection on modern society - the need for instant gratification (in years gone by, usually calls for a managers head would build during a season with a possible change mid or 3/4 of a season gone). Added to this is social media providing an instant and unfiltered platform for people to share their views.

It's a platform for bampots to meet up.

Before social media these types would be the one mumbing in the corner of a pub or that mate who got a bit.out of hand.

Back then it ended there as they had no one to bounce of.

Their sensible mates would tell them to zip it or they'd sobber up and forget about it and move on.

Now, with social media other bampots can join in and reinforce their views which then makes them believe their own bampottery even more.

It's a curse on modern society. 

Edited by Bazzas right boot

1 hour ago, Jim Panzee said:

It was a build up from the past 7 days, Livi away wasn't a stellar performance, Rangers was a disaster and then losing 1-0 to leagues basement side with a man advantage was never going to be met with delight.

Whether its the formation or the management team or tactics, I'm not sure but we do start a large number of matches slowly, on the back foot and take a while to grow into games.  I think that also feeds into the atmosphere in the stands and online.

2 hours ago, Jim Panzee said:

I think a lot of it is kneejerk.  Posting when your emotions are running away from you and you have maybe had a few pints as well.  

28 minutes ago, Mac80 said:

Robbie Neilson Manager of the Month January

Well Deserved

:clap:

lol.

based on scores after 7 minutes....18mins.....33mins......half time or full time scores?? 🤣

32 minutes ago, Mac80 said:

Robbie Neilson Manager of the Month January

Well Deserved

:clap:

Disgusting , were online Hearts supporters invited along to provide balance by listing the reasons he is not deserving 

Edited by Sooks

4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Glens vodka suits the spl to a tee. 

It makes me laugh when I see Neilson and the players getting interviewed post match at Tynecastle . Our advertising wall with all these great sponsors and companies on it and then there is Glens jammed in there stinking the board out :rofl: 

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, Sinbad the Sailor said:

Congratulations Robbie has won manager of the month not a bad indictment for those of us who have a clue about football on this thread✌️

Did you get an award too?