*****Official St Johnstone v Hearts match thread - match on ppv *****

mickycameron98

mickycameron98

Farmers away Wednesday night. Haven't beat them on league business up there since 2010 Kevin Kyle was on the score sheet.

Time to put this awful record to bed and come back with the 3 points. Big Zander Clarks 1st start against his old club. Make it happen Hearts! 3-0

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Hearts007

• Harry Potter

• Fozzyonthefence

No Gordon, Halkett or Kingsley....

Who knows what to expect the Hearts team selection will be..

Zander in goal cert.

the back 3 or 4???

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, rmreido said:

No Gordon, Halkett or Kingsley....

Who knows what to expect the Hearts team selection will be..

Zander in goal cert.

the back 3 or 4???

Back 3 will be Sibbick , Rowles and Cochrane I'd imagine 

I was expecting us to rotate a bit for this one with Forrest, Atkinson and Kio maybe getting a game but after the injuries yesterday I think the team is harder to predict.

1 minute ago, Hungry hippo said:

I was expecting us to rotate a bit for this one with Forrest, Atkinson and Kio maybe getting a game but after the injuries yesterday I think the team is harder to predict.

I think Kio’s height at set pieces could be handy and would play him. I’d go with 4-3-3 as well. Something like -

Clark

Smith

Sibbick

Rowles

Cochrane

Devlin

Kio

Snodgrass

McKay

Shankland

Gino

4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I think Kio’s height at set pieces could be handy and would play him. I’d go with 4-3-3 as well. Something like -

Clark

Smith

Sibbick

Rowles

Cochrane

Devlin

Kio

Snodgrass

McKay

Shankland

Gino

This is what I’d go with 

1 minute ago, King prawn said:

This is what I’d go with 

Forest for McKay and Humphreys for Gino

Just now, TypoonJambo said:

Forest for McKay and Humphreys for Gino

Is Humphreys going to be ready for it ? I can’t remember if he was on the bench or not yesterday 

5 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Clark

Smith

Sibbick

Rowles

Cochrane

Devlin

Kio

Snodgrass

McKay

Shankland

Gino

4 at the back is a must. I think we are too slow with 3 at the back. Too much safe possession playing side wards and back wards passing.

1 minute ago, whytebeard said:

4 at the back is a must. I think we are too slow with 3 at the back. Too much safe possession playing side wards and back wards passing.

Agree. It will help Sibbick to have Smith at RB. Don’t fancy a 3 of Toby, Rowles and Cochrane at all. Possibly better with Smith Sibbick and Rowles but Id go with a 4 

Honestly what our defence looks like shouldn't be a problem. Sibbick, Cochrane, Rowles, Smith etc shouldn't struggle to do a job at this level. 

If we play on the front foot, take the game to them and let our attacking players run at their defence. Should be coming back down the road with 3 points.

Voice of reason
9 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Clark

Smith

Sibbick

Rowles

Cochrane

Devlin

Kio

Snodgrass

McKay

Shankland

Gino

That’s a very good team. I don’t think we have 3 natural centre backs who are good enough with Kingsley and Halkett presumably missing, so two central defenders makes sense. That front three will always create chances. 

Decided to go to this one and am really looking forward to it but a wee bit less after yesterday's injuries. I'll settle for any win at all.

Absolutely no confidence in Neilson to motivate whatever team he picks to go up there and win.

Our record is shocking in Perth, and I don't see that changing.

We are far too slow in possession and our defending is amateurish.

I'd love to eat a massive slice of humble pie come Wednesday night.

I thought our next game was the derby :lol:

Not one to get excited about this. Hopefully we can get back down the road with 3pts by whatever means necessary.

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

Clark

Smith

Sibbick

Rowles

Cochrane

Devlin

Kio

Snodgrass

McKay

Shankland

Gino

I like this team. Would be probably the best line up we can field. 

LokamotivRobbo
9 hours ago, DG_HMFC said:

Absolutely no confidence in Neilson to motivate whatever team he picks to go up there and win.

Can’t agree about motivation. This team is one of the most motivated and determined I’ve seen. Keeps going to the end whether we’ve got 11 or 10 men and regardless of the score never gives up. Just look at the last few games. Snatching draws and victories at the last moment against the odds doesn’t feel like a demotivated team to me.

Plus all the mood music that you hear coming from the players themselves is that HMFC is a place they love and the team spirit is great. Think we should get behind the team and the manager just like the amazing away support that we have at the moment.

Though take your point about Perth ( 🙈 ) and have to agree that our defending this season has been scary at times - though the injuries have been brutal and stability always makes a massive difference in defence.

16 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

Any idea on tickets sold for this? 

the other thread about tickets for this is saying we have sold out

18 minutes ago, LokamotivRobbo said:

Can’t agree about motivation. This team is one of the most motivated and determined I’ve seen. Keeps going to the end whether we’ve got 11 or 10 men and regardless of the score never gives up. Just look at the last few games. Snatching draws and victories at the last moment against the odds doesn’t feel like a demotivated team to me.

Plus all the mood music that you hear coming from the players themselves is that HMFC is a place they love and the team spirit is great. Think we should get behind the team and the manager just like the amazing away support that we have at the moment.

Though take your point about Perth ( 🙈 ) and have to agree that our defending this season has been scary at times - though the injuries have been brutal and stability always makes a massive difference in defence.

Yep, motivation is absolutely not an issue. I don’t recall seeing such a determined squad. They don’t know when they are beat.

The record in Perth is quite incredible however. It’s been going on for as long as I can remember. 

That being said, we are starting to correct some long running hoodoos this season (we beat County away & Killie at home). Hopefully this is next on the list. 

Tough game however. St Johnstone are doing well this season. We will need to be at it right from the off and be a lot more steady defensively.

Bazzas right boot

Like last match thread, I think we'll score 2.

Other than that I don't know.

12 hours ago, King prawn said:

Is Humphreys going to be ready for it ? I can’t remember if he was on the bench or not yesterday 

No he wasn’t - Robbie hoped he might be fit for the Derby. 

Got my tickets sorted. Just need to sort out my travel. If anyone knows of any supporters buses that have two spare seats, let me know. For what it is worth, I have reached out to one or two people but have yet to receive replies. 

Cheers

Davy 

pettigrewsstylist
13 hours ago, DG_HMFC said:

Fair assessment infortunately. A point is prob decent. Delighted to nick all 3.

If Forrest and Humphreys come in then im probably more hopeful their directness might get us the win, its the conceding goals thats holding us back. 

3 hours ago, LokamotivRobbo said:

There’s motivation at the start of matches, then there’s motivation to react to a situation.

Theres no arguing we keep going, we have the ability to respond but I think people look at Hearts and see a team that should be much better at attempting to take a game by the scruff of the neck and get themselves into a stronger position in matches more often against weaker opposition, more so away from home. 

If 3-4-3 is going to be our "thing", I suspect this will be the team.                    

Clark 

Sibbick Rowles Cochrane 

M.Smith Devlin Snodgrass Halliday 

Ginnelly Shanks McKay 

If no, I'd go. 

Clark 

M.Smith Sibbick Rowles Cochrane 

Kio Devlin Snoddy

Ginnelly    Shanks    McKay

And 2-1 Hearts.

Edited by Cruyff

7 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

If 3-4-3 is going to be our "thing", I suspect this will be the team.                    

Clark 

Sibbick Rowles Cochrane 

M.Smith Devlin Snodgrass Halliday 

Ginnelly Shanks McKay 

If no, I'd go. 

Clark 

M.Smith Sibbick Rowles Cochrane 

Kio Devlin Snoddy

Ginnelly    Shanks    McKay

And 2-1 Hearts.

I think with Halkett out the back 3 just doesn't work as well. It seems like Rowles should be able to command the middle but I think he's just more of a ball player than an air marshal the way Halkett is. Sibbick is the best backup in the center of a back 3 but that means putting either Rowles or Neilson over there, and I don't want to do that either.

4-3-3 is fine, although I might rotate the front line a bit. I would prefer the 4-1-4-1 but we probably won't go that route on a Wednesday night away game. Just please not the 4-2-3-1, the league in general has us sussed in that formation.

Must win so we are looking down at the rest going into the new year.

I fancy McInnes will want to take something off the sheep and Celtic to pulverise The Vermin

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 hour ago, BelgeJambo said:

Must win so we are looking down at the rest going into the new year.

I fancy McInnes will want to take something off the sheep and Celtic to pulverise The Vermin

Results have went our way since coming back after the world cup pretty much ! We've made up the 4pts on Aberdeen already I expect by end of January we'll be well clear in 3rd.

Not confident.  The injury nightmare has got me down.  I'm working my arse off here in searing hot conditions.

Hardly ever remember us beating this crowd when I was in attendance or since.

Any win will be terrific.

6 hours ago, daveyhmfc said:

Got my tickets sorted. Just need to sort out my travel. If anyone knows of any supporters buses that have two spare seats, let me know. For what it is worth, I have reached out to one or two people but have yet to receive replies. 

Cheers

Davy 

got 2 spaces in the car if needed? 

3 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Not confident.  The injury nightmare has got me down.  I'm working my arse off here in searing hot conditions.

Hardly ever remember us beating this crowd when I was in attendance or since.

Any win will be terrific.

Our extreme bad luck and Hibs ridiculous good luck is getting me down.

6 times Hibs have won a game due to having an extra man and we have not played 1 second v 10 men.

We lose key men every ****ing game. I am just scunnered.

It's always a tight game up there.  They will get fired in so we need to add a bit more dig to our game.  A scrappy 1-0 will do me.  

13 minutes ago, jonesy said:

If Atkinson is fit he needs to play. Smith is needed for the derby and there’s no way he can do 3 games in a week. 

I agree with this, I  also think Gino has a good scoring record against Saints so is a must start for me too.

13 hours ago, LokamotivRobbo said:

It's a fair point you make regarding never giving up, and I take that on board. The feeling I get is we seem to start slow and wait for the opposition to go ahead before we click into gear; which does show great character and spirit, but we need to be stamping our authority more.

23 hours ago, DG_HMFC said:

This is exactly the sort of game that exposes Neilson’s limitations as a manager. 

We’ll draw here at best and we’ll use the injuries as an excuse, or we’ll be tired, mentally exhausted, or the pitch won’t be great, or the officials will feck us up.

Take out the injuries from the Utd game and look at the performance as a whole. We were awful. Defensively vulnerable the whole game, no control in midfield, no service further forward. no reason to expect anything other than more of the same against St Johnstone away 

12 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

This is exactly the sort of game that exposes Neilson’s limitations as a manager. 

We’ll draw here at best and we’ll use the injuries as an excuse, or we’ll be tired, mentally exhausted, or the pitch won’t be great, or the officials will feck us up.

Take out the injuries from the Utd game and look at the performance as a whole. We were awful. Defensively vulnerable the whole game, no control in midfield, no service further forward. no reason to expect anything other than more of the same against St Johnstone away 

Why not take out the two goals we scored as well. Then it would be an even worse performance. 

tight up your street 🤣

Naisys Tackle

Take a point and run.  This will be very difficult they don’t get enough credit for how good a team they are especially at home. 

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

If Atkinson is fit he needs to play. Smith is needed for the derby and there’s no way he can do 3 games in a week. 

If Atkinson plays we should go with three at the back and makes sure Cochrane and Natty are wing backs. Leaves a back three of Smith, Sibbick and Rowles. So, imo of course, Smith would need to play anyway. 

I do like Atkinson but as a WB and not a RB. At the moment he’s just too weak defensively. 

48 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Very difficult to disagree with what you are saying. Watching the way Neilson sets us up away from home is torture most of the time. Having said that il be up in Perth willing the team on in the hope that Neilson can muster up what would be a massive 3 points. 

1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

We need to be aggressive from the start but that’s our problem. We’ll prepare the same way and play a “feel your way in” style. 

Still, it’s a lightweight midfield lacking in players natural to that area.  More sit on the bench than get on the park.

Apart from Devlin, who really gives us the legs and security for the defence? It comes across to me that RN won’t divert from seeing McKay as some

sort of playmaker and the damage will come from the flanks and front 2.

We saw against Killie at home in the 2nd half that up until 2-1 that they pushed higher, got close to McKay who goes missing when it’s gets physical and Snoddy ended up playing just in front of the defence and got deeper and deeper.  

I don’t blame RN for being more expansive at home but away from home you need to be prepared for the home side to be physical, as we’ve seen v DU. 

Edited by Debut 4

2 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

We need to be aggressive from the start but that’s our problem. We’ll prepare the same way and play a “feel your way in” style. 

Still, it’s a lightweight midfield lacking in players natural to that area.  More sit on the bench than get on the park.

Apart from Devlin, who really gives us the legs and security for the defence? It comes across to me that RN won’t divert from seeing McKay as some

sort of playmaker and the damage will come from the flanks and front 2.

We saw against Killie at home in the 2nd half that up until 2-1 that they pushed higher, got close to McKay who goes missing when it’s gets physical and Snoddy ended up playing just in front of the defence and hit deeper and deeper.  

I don’t blame RN for being more expansive at home but away from home you need to be prepared for the home side to be physical, as we’ve seen v DU. 

Very few away games at this level that we don’t need a solid midfield 3 for. 3-4-3 leaves us with 2 and we struggle to control the game and find the front 3.

If we MUST play a back 3 we should be playing 3–5-2 away from home. I’d rather see us playing a back 4 with what we’ve got available. If we sign a centre back that can bring the ball out, fine, go to a 3

• davemclaren changed the title to *****Official St Johnstone v Hearts match thread - match on ppv *****
  • davemclaren locked this topic