*****Official St Johnstone v Hearts match thread - match on ppv *****

mickycameron98

54 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

I have it on good authority that Robbie and the kitman have looked out suitable footwear for this match.

Screenshot_20221227-132120_Gallery.jpg

Looks like they belonged to a right sided defender, observe, the right toe is more scuffed, also observe, it is the right TOE, this is due to the ‘ Git it up the paaark’ type shouts that encouraged him to toe poke it to a high and long trajectory.😐

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Hearts007

• Harry Potter

• Fozzyonthefence

highlandjambo3

Glovers arms is good….straight 6-700m walk to the ground……I took this picture an hour ago, thaw  needed 🙄

6AE87E36-AAB5-48EB-B3CA-3CEEA16D08E9.jpeg

Edited by highlandjambo3

queensferryjambo
Just now, pettigrewsstylist said:

Fletchers goal on Sat is a good example of dont shoot, cant score. We are shot shy for sure and our central midfielders, generally cant hit a barn door from 18yds.

I don't necessarily think Hearts are shot shy we have plenty of shots it is just shots on target we are struggling with. We just don't seem to have the composure in front of goal or the quality of shooting. So definitely agreeing with the midfielders not really having it when it comes to scoring.

As an example Ginnelly should have had a hattrick againt Kilmarnock and probably had one or two against United but lacks the finishing and to be fair he isn't the only one so not having a pop at him. Shankland is pretty much the only exception. 

We had 14 shots on goal at Tannadice with 3 on target, 13 shots against Killie with 5 on target, 16 shots against Liv with 6 on target, 7 shots against Rangers with 0 on target and you could go through most games this season and our shots per game vs shots on target ratio isn't that great. 

5 hours ago, CMc said:

Would also play this team. Can’t have fullbacks playing centrehalf for this one. 

Rowles was the CB that played poorly at Tannadice. Cochrane and Kingsley (until he went off) played pretty well.

I'm not against us playing 4 at the back but every time we don't win playing with a 3 these arguments are brought out. Yet we have played with a back 4 the majority of this season and kept only one clean sheet and the formation is never questioned when it's a 4.

Both goals we scored last week led from the wingbacks being far forward and Cochrane had another perfect low cross where Shankland was just offside.

My point is just I think a lot of our support is biased in perception against the 3-4-3.

I also like the 4-3-3 and would happy to go with it tomorrow. The tone and tempo of our performances are far less influenced by formation than many fans think IMO. We can play pish or good either formation.

lost in space
5 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

We had 14 shots on goal at Tannadice with 3 on target, 13 shots against Killie with 5 on target, 16 shots against Liv with 6 on target, 7 shots against Rangers with 0 on target and you could go through most games this season and our shots per game vs shots on target ratio isn't that great. 

These are interesting stats.  The average for these 4 games is therefore 12.5 shots per game and 3.5 on target.

Does anyone know what the average Scotland (or UK) ratio of shots/shots on target per game?

Like all stats of course, it does not tell the whole story. For instance against The Rangers, were all the shots from outside the box?

If our ratio of "on target" is low - is this because we are shooting too early? Or are our players just poorer than other teams?

Shanklands ratio will be high as he generally shoots from nearer the goal than others - while Ginos ratio will be low - cos................. he is Gino!!!

4 hours ago, LochcarronJambo said:

So want to beat them, so undeserving of winning 2 cups in same season & yet their support is a joke, just a bunch of bruisers….. been plenty times there but for some reason never seen us win there, will not be there tomorrow so hoping that brings us good luck

That's a bit disingenuous tbf.

pettigrewsstylist
9 minutes ago, Rods said:

Kio will be important tomorrow. He will be needed to win headers in our box. 

Was also thinking where we look to for this and his name appeared.

Naisys Tackle

Anyone looking for a stream tomorrow I will have one but please get a decent add block on your computer or if you can phone browser.  Ideally google chrome browser on both.

My half sister

If Atkinson plays instead of Smith, who will be captain? I would go for Snodgrass, but might be a bit early in his Hearts’ career. 

3 minutes ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

Apologies if discussed already but how many games must Kingsley miss because of concussion ????????

None . He just has to pass the tests to be fit. He could play tomorrow if he passes the tests 

8 minutes ago, AndyNic said:

Robbie says Halkett and Kingsley both out tomorrow.

Humphrys back training but won't make tomorrow either.

Fingers crossed they are good for the derby then .

2 hours ago, Hungry hippo said:

Rowles was the CB that played poorly at Tannadice. Cochrane and Kingsley (until he went off) played pretty well.

I'm not against us playing 4 at the back but every time we don't win playing with a 3 these arguments are brought out. Yet we have played with a back 4 the majority of this season and kept only one clean sheet and the formation is never questioned when it's a 4.

Both goals we scored last week led from the wingbacks being far forward and Cochrane had another perfect low cross where Shankland was just offside.

My point is just I think a lot of our support is biased in perception against the 3-4-3.

I also like the 4-3-3 and would happy to go with it tomorrow. The tone and tempo of our performances are far less influenced by formation than many fans think IMO. We can play pish or good either formation.

Yeah, I get what you’re saying - and I think it is totally fair to say the formations are not to blame for poor performances. 

I just think with Kingsley and Halkett both out, I’d rather see Rowles and Sibbick as the CBs, allowing Alex to play his best position. St Johnstone like to play down the wings so having Cochrane and Smith at fullback makes sense to me. They also score a quarter of their goals from set pieces - which we are weak on - so having two proper CBs and a tall DM makes sense. Especially with Neilson getting so few minutes recently. 

On 25/12/2022 at 11:36, Bauld said:

Honestly what our defence looks like shouldn't be a problem. Sibbick, Cochrane, Rowles, Smith etc shouldn't struggle to do a job at this level. 

If we play on the front foot, take the game to them and let our attacking players run at their defence. Should be coming back down the road with 3 points.

Exactly. That back 4 was very good against Rangers.

4 minutes ago, Libertarian said:

Does anyone know if there are still tickets available for the Hearts end at St Johnstone 

St J are selling the tickets directly to Hearts fans. The Ormond stand behind the goals is now open for Hearts fans - the other end is entirely sold out, as is the main stand away section.

7 minutes ago, dontkillbill said:

St J are selling the tickets directly to Hearts fans. The Ormond stand behind the goals is now open for Hearts fans - the other end is entirely sold out, as is the main stand away section.

Are we able to purchase tickets online (I can't find the link) or do we have to call the ticket office 

Can't see us winning. I'd like it to be postponed due to the weather. Get another game in hand with a few new signings/players back. 

6 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

14 mikes north of the ground and pretty snowy up here in Birnam

974FDB80-BF4E-4C85-BE80-259D671E1D5F.jpeg

Nice scenery👍

54 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Lots of rain forecast tomorrow and with their pitch’s history with water-logging it’s not certain to go ahead IF the forecast is accurate. 

58 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Can't see us winning. I'd like it to be postponed due to the weather. Get another game in hand with a few new signings/players back. 

Wouldn't be a disaster if it was off.

7 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Wouldn't be a disaster if it was off.

Yep I've got Hearts tv,a bottle of rioja and a take away curry all sorted.

Call me selfish. 

.Clark

Sibbick Rowles Cochrane

Natty Cammy Kio Snoddy Halliday

Gino Shankland 

Drop McKay and stick an extra midfielder in cause it’s gonna be a battle and we need more control.

2 minutes ago, Gorgierools said:

Call me selfish. 

On reflection, and having looked at the forecast, I agree. Your not playing silky fast flowing football on a swamp. Best slip it a bit.

2 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

.Clark

Sibbick Rowles Cochrane

Gino Shankland 

Drop McKay and stick an extra midfielder in cause it’s gonna be a battle and we need more control.

Yup, need tough guys in midfield, we need to boss it, not a game for fancy- Nancy, balling , it will be a game of attrition.

pettigrewsstylist
8 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

.Clark

Sibbick Rowles Cochrane

Gino Shankland 

Decent call for this one., if going with a back 3.

Edited by pettigrewsstylist

50 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

.Clark

Sibbick Rowles Cochrane

Gino Shankland 

This is a great shout

Must win. Our record there is an abomination and it has to end. What is for certain is we’re going to need at least 2 goals to do so.

Sadly though, I fear a slow start, a complete failure to stop crosses and high balls, and for us to be behind before we get our arses into gear. St J to no doubt have their best performances of the season into the bargain.

3 hours ago, Gorgierools said:

Call me selfish. 

+1

7 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

How many mikes? 🙃

12 hours ago, Hungry hippo said:

Good post. I find the bias against the 3-4-3 weird. We've played really, really well in that formation in the last 18 months when we have the right players for it.

Despite his size and obvious skill I don't think Rowles is a good fit in the middle of a back 3. The best backup there to Halkett we have is Sibbick and then we don't have a right CB other than Smith. I could see a back 3 with Smith - Sibbick -Rowles across the back working just fine with Akka and Cochrane at the wingbacks but I really hope we don't put Rowles in the middle again. Much rather put him beside Sibbick in a back 4 if we have to.

17 hours ago, Rods said:

Kio will be important tomorrow. He will be needed to win headers in our box. 

Please tell me how you’ve come to the conclusion that kio will be important for us, the guy is a donkey and hasn’t shown anything in the dozen or so games he’s played for us which is the reason why I think the management team have admitted defeat and left him on the bench. He is way out his depth and we have wasted very good money on a complete and utter dud. That’s the harsh reality of the situation. I’d rather have haring playing in a game such as tonight than have kio “playing” and waving his arms around pointing fingers at players whilst he spends half the time on his farter. Kio should be nowhere near our team.

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, Thumperbeni said:

Please tell me how you’ve come to the conclusion that kio will be important for us, the guy is a donkey and hasn’t shown anything in the dozen or so games he’s played for us which is the reason why I think the management team have admitted defeat and left him on the bench. He is way out his depth and we have wasted very good money on a complete and utter dud. That’s the harsh reality of the situation. I’d rather have haring playing in a game such as tonight than have kio “playing” and waving his arms around pointing fingers at players whilst he spends half the time on his farter. Kio should be nowhere near our team.

He explained clearly why he came to that conclusion. 

You just chose to ignore it and slaver pish instead. 

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, Thumperbeni said:

He explained clearly why he came to that conclusion. 

You just chose to ignore it and slaver pish instead. 

Bazzas right boot

Can see this being a low scoring game and the 1st goal being crucial.

6-3 Hearts.

Shankland and Gino hatricks. 

Actually think Kio played really well up at County. Think he also got in the SPFL team of the week after that match. The guy is having to adapt. No one knows how hard it is for him to adjust to A) Being in a different country B) How fast and frantic Scottish football is.

He’s done ok in my eyes, nothing outstanding, also nothing that is worth the fee we paid but it’s too early to judge 

• davemclaren changed the title to *****Official St Johnstone v Hearts match thread - match on ppv *****
  • davemclaren locked this topic