Toby Sibbick ( merged )

Greedy Jambo

All is certainly not lost. However forget the brain farts, he needs to learn how to header a ball. He has the neck muscles of a toddler. Maybe it’s just a sad portrayal of the modern day centre half but it seems like him and young Neilson are scared of putting their head through a ball. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Naisys Tackle

• RustyRightPeg

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

1 minute ago, RustyRightPeg said:

A bit of aggression and he has all the tools. Awareness will come with experience. 

What age is Sibbick now? Early 20s?He's only got a few years. 

11 minutes ago, pointon said:

Has all the attributes to be a top class defender if he could cut out the brain farts we have a player on our hands

Good post . He totally does , and hopefully it clicks for him 

5 minutes ago, maroonsgotop said:

overall, he's done well the past 2 games. Hopefully his confidence will improve now. Keep it up Toby

We need to run with him and stop taking him in and out the team to give him an opportunity to push on 

RustyRightPeg
10 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

What age is Sibbick now? Early 20s?He's only got a few years. 

23. Up against the clock…

LochcarronJambo

Not seeing any potential, weak, doesn’t read game & positioning is shocking, too often bad touch, nowhere near good enough for us

7 minutes ago, LochcarronJambo said:

Not seeing any potential, weak, doesn’t read game & positioning is shocking, too often bad touch, nowhere near good enough for us

I think his positioning is the most problematic thing about him , at centre back any way . If he can sort that out then the rest will come . As well as weaknesses he has good attributes too . He looks more comfortable as a right back or right centre back

pettigrewsstylist

Has the uncanny knack of never being close enough to the ball at key moments to actually have much positive impact i can point to. Some woud call that coasting /cruising /hiding. Lack of confidence probably causing that. At least i hope so.

Their 2nd goal yesterday was crying out for someone to attack, ( not blaming him for the goal btw), Kio just as innefective in that moment. 

The 2nd half opportunity they had from the right when Mooy missed the sitter, watch TS defending prior to cross coming in, again doing very little to effect the game for me.

He has not been directly culpable for goals today, so maybe thats improvement.

Looking more composed though and hope he can settle down into some form. 

Been ok last 2 games. Hopefully gets a bit Confidence from this and kicks on.

Agree with others,  a bit more controlled aggression would help.

15 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

I thought he coped well yesterday and the 2 CBs did their jobs for the vast majority of the game.

Apart from losing 4 goals! Defence was a shambles and the second goal was a shocker to lose. Sibbick loses him completely and let’s him get a free header from a corner.

pettigrewsstylist
17 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

I thought he coped well yesterday and the 2 CBs did their jobs for the vast majority of the game.

We lost 4 goals. They hardly "did their job"

Hard to judge really lately as I think the criticism has got to him. You can feel the stadium tense up when he has the ball and if he does take a bad touch or that then he gets more grief than any other player.

I preferred when we played him as a defensive midfielder (very briefly).

I think he can come good still.

Can’t be very easy for any of our defenders just now. No proper cb’s playing and a few young guys being asked to play out of position. Sooner we get halkett and rowles back the better. 

18 minutes ago, pointon said:

We need to run with him and stop taking him in and out the team to give him an opportunity to push on 

yup. Building player's confidence is a big thing for me. Both him and Atkinson appear to have suffered quite badly from the criticism they've received. It's not always easy moving away from home from friends and family.

I've been holding out for him but my hope's fading for him as a centre back. You can do all the heading and tackling in the world, but if you don't know the right positions to defend there's no point.

I'm absolutely convinced he's not a CB, at least not yet. I really, badly want to see him played in Midfield. The laddie is great on the ball and the brief viewing we got of him under Stendel was excellent. IMO Robbie must partner him with Devlin once Rowles and Halkett is back and our defensive woes are resolved. One of the brilliant things I saw yesterday was an aggressive press from Devlin. We've got to remember that Sibbick played under Stendel, who played an aggressive pressing game. He's absolutely tailor made to partner Devlin in midfield. 

For me, neither Kio or Haring are up to it. I've not been impressed with either this season. Both have been slow and haven't pulled their weight in midfield. 

gorgierulesapply88

Someone above said he needs to goto the gym and bulk up 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I presume martinez at man utd needs to aswell?

• davemclaren changed the title to Toby Sibbick

I just checked on his history, he came through the ranks at League 1/2 then went to Barnsley.

If he'd been an amateur or something I'd have less problem with the positioning stuff, but how has he not picked this stuff up from years of being coached in his favoured position?

I really want him to come good, and he seems like a decent lad too, but we have a problem just now with positional ill discipline through the centre of the team.

RustyRightPeg
28 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Apart from losing 4 goals! Defence was a shambles and the second goal was a shocker to lose. Sibbick loses him completely and let’s him get a free header from a corner.

Snodgrass lost him. Sibbick was marking Carter Vickers 

1 hour ago, Riccarton3 said:

Needs to get in the gym and bulk up. It shouldn't even be needing said. 

Taking the piss? He’s bigger than most of our squad.

Any Sibbick thread is the same. Whether it’s started to criticise or praise, it always gets overran by the after game pub chat pundits which wrote him off early and won’t hear anything different. Weird wee man mentality, the lot of ‘em.

2 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Any Sibbick thread is the same. Whether it’s started to criticise or praise, it always gets overran by the after game pub chat pundits which wrote him off early and won’t hear anything different. Weird wee man mentality, the lot of ‘em.

I think I have reasonable concerns myself.

3 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Was the same with Atkinson 

53 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

We lost 4 goals. They hardly "did their job"

They did their job yesterday and were let down by others at the goals.

55 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Giomakis was on the six yard line when he scored with his header nigh in the middle of the goal. It was a keeper's ball all day long. Craig Gordon is always rooted to his line.

1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

Giomakis was on the six yard line when he scored with his header nigh in the middle of the goal. It was a keeper's ball all day long. Craig Gordon is always rooted to his line.

Yeah, was a keeper's ball all day long given the lack of pave on the cross and Snodgrass was marking the goalscorer.

Sibbick seems to have no pace, very timid in the challenge, passes the ball anywhere as he panics, no awareness of opposition players and for him to get the ball under control with his first touch it takes him a life time. Hope he comes good but with all of the above can't see any chance of that. 

When he doesn’t have the ball he strolls around as if he’s daydreaming. Never seems to get tight on anyone, and often makes a poor pass when under pressure.

He can shift but doesn’t seem to want to, needs to up the work rate.

I'm afraid all I see is a very limited footballer who just doesn't look up to this level of football. 

Neilson, on the other hand, clearly has the ability and would learn a lot from playing alongside an experienced defender like Halkett.

AlphonseCapone
1 hour ago, Sooks said:

I think his positioning is the most problematic thing about him , at centre back any way . If he can sort that out then the rest will come . As well as weaknesses he has good attributes too . He looks more comfortable as a right back or right centre back

I think he did decent yesterday up against easily the best attacking side in the country. Gives me a little bit of hope. But like you, it is his positioning that worries me most. You could argue that will improve with time but I don't know, just doesn't look like he gets it. Maybe that's because he should be in midfield. 

49 minutes ago, OTT said:

I'm absolutely convinced he's not a CB, at least not yet. I really, badly want to see him played in Midfield. The laddie is great on the ball and the brief viewing we got of him under Stendel was excellent. IMO Robbie must partner him with Devlin once Rowles and Halkett is back and our defensive woes are resolved. One of the brilliant things I saw yesterday was an aggressive press from Devlin. We've got to remember that Sibbick played under Stendel, who played an aggressive pressing game. He's absolutely tailor made to partner Devlin in midfield. 

For me, neither Kio or Haring are up to it. I've not been impressed with either this season. Both have been slow and haven't pulled their weight in midfield. 

How many games did Toby actually play in midfield for us? 2 part games? Looks like he’s had another 6 elsewhere. Whilst look at we won that game against the Huns, his team have lost 4, drawn one, won 3 with him in midfield. Feels like we are looking more at a two (part) game sample where we were undefeated than how it has gone overall. The other 66 games he has played have been in defence (and one at right wing!). 

It might work- there just seems to be a lot of clamour for Sibbick in midfield and Haring in defence when there has not been a huge amount of evidence to show it is likely to work. Haring moved from the Austrian second division to the top end of the SPL after his change of position. Sibbick had far more success in the championship as a defender than a midfielder. 

Robbie normally gets öltest for square pegs in round holes - yet loads seem to want these swaps. Guess it could be different folk calling it. 

RustyRightPeg
Just now, stirlo said:

I'm afraid all I see is a very limited footballer who just doesn't look up to this level of football. 

Neilson, on the other hand, clearly has the ability and would learn a lot from playing alongside an experienced defender like Halkett.

Neilson has made more mistakes leading to goals than Sibbick this season 🤣🤣 

Some cracking posts on here.

Sibbick had a tremendous game yesterday, paired up very well with Kingsley and dominated his position. Some of his long field passes where excellent and covering for Craig Gordon's inability to kick ball in the second half was probably a pressure he didn't want but he coped superbly. 

No brain farts, but it still gets mentioned by the haters that want a young laddie to fail, morons.

45 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I think I have reasonable concerns myself.

There’s those with reasonable concerns, but then there’s people who say he’s not good enough for Hearts every single week, regardless of how he played. He is good enough for our level.

RustyRightPeg
4 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Some cracking posts on here.

Sibbick had a tremendous game yesterday, paired up very well with Kingsley and dominated his position. Some of his long field passes where excellent and covering for Craig Gordon's inability to kick ball in the second half was probably a pressure he didn't want but he coped superbly. 

No brain farts, but it still gets mentioned by the haters that want a young laddie to fail, morons.

👍🏽👍🏽

33 minutes ago, Philfigo said:

Sibbick seems to have no pace, very timid in the challenge, passes the ball anywhere as he panics, no awareness of opposition players and for him to get the ball under control with his first touch it takes him a life time. Hope he comes good but with all of the above can't see any chance of that. 

I do wonder what games people are watching when you see utter drivel like the above.

He's one of the fastest players at the club for starters. His distribution is probably his biggest strength and he has a great range of passing and his touch is also fine.

He's strong, quick, wins the ball cleanly and can carry the ball out of defence. 

Awareness/ concentration seems to be the main issue at the moment, but these can be addressed with confidence and coaching.

Edited by Martin_T

10 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Neilson has made more mistakes leading to goals than Sibbick this season 🤣🤣 

To be fair those two have given me nightmares at various points this season. What a pairing those two would make. 😂

section s heart
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

I just checked on his history, he came through the ranks at League 1/2 then went to Barnsley.

If he'd been an amateur or something I'd have less problem with the positioning stuff, but how has he not picked this stuff up from years of being coached in his favoured position?

I really want him to come good, and he seems like a decent lad too, but we have a problem just now with positional ill discipline through the centre of the team.

Yep we look very vulnerable through the middle, and the midfield is a big part of this. Particularly noticeable against the better teams here and in Europe where there's often a spare man lingering between our MF and CD ready to receive a pass with yards of space. Our "wingers" tend to be peripheral in any defensive sense when teams set up against us like that. 

Re Sibbick, he did ok yesterday, and still some hope for him, but as others have said his positional sense isn't instinctive, and I'd like to see him being far more aggressive, giving the opponent less space.

3 minutes ago, Dazo said:

To be fair those two have given me nightmares at various points this season. What a pairing those two would make. 😂

Early days of Berra and Zal were fairly frightening IIRC. They got better. 

I like him and do feel that the criticism of him is all from a moment of madness in one match, which we won. 

His positioning isn't great. He got caught out a few times in the second half yesterday. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Toby Sibbick ( merged )