Toby Sibbick ( merged )

Greedy Jambo

Sub4TiddlerMurray
6 minutes ago, hearts00 said:

No one ever wrote off Webster at first he was a class defender in the making from his first game. 

Zal was written off because of his bombscare moments on the ball, not his defensive instincts. 

Sibbick’s problems are deep rooted, complete lack of awareness of danger and mistiming and use of his body when defending. I am genuinely sceptical he can all of a sudden develop these skills at this stage. 

I don't understand at all what you mean by "mistiming and use of his body when defending". The only errors he has made have been when he was ball-watching rather than keeping tight to the man he should be marking or spotting the danger over his shoulder. Now that is something that can be taught. He clearly has the technical ability on the ball, can tackle as well if not better than others in the team and the right physical attributes. He has tremendous development potential that will only be undermined by so-called Hearts fans having a go at him and especially anyone that boos him during a game. Hope you are not one of those.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Naisys Tackle

• RustyRightPeg

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

Fozzyonthefence
37 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

I don't understand at all what you mean by "mistiming and use of his body when defending". The only errors he has made have been when he was ball-watching rather than keeping tight to the man he should be marking or spotting the danger over his shoulder. Now that is something that can bye taught. He clearly has the technical ability on the ball, can tackle as well if not better than others in the team and the right physical attributes. He has tremendous development potential that will only be undermined by so-called Hearts fans having a go at him and especially anyone that boos him during a game. Hope you are not one of those.

I’m not sure it can, it’s a natural instinct just like a good striker has a natural instinct to get in goalscoring positions.    He’s not a teenager, he’s 23 - do you not think the coaches at Barnsley would have already tried to coach this into him?

Naisys Tackle

So many random excuses made for the boy.  He's simply not at the level required and is a week link.

Can people stop comparing him with Zal too - he have evident quality as soon as he came in to the team. 

Naisys Tackle
8 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I wish folk would stop referring to Sibbick as a ‘boy’.

He, quite simply, isn’t that.

Exactly.  He played 70 odd games for Wimbledon and Barnsley before joining again too. 

LochcarronJambo
1 hour ago, McCrae said:

Did you watch any of the preseason games….did very well. People also wrote of Zal and Webster at first.  
Do you remember his goal line clearance in the final minute at Easter Road?

Yes I actually went to the pre-season games including trips to Tranmere & Preston….he is constantly out of position, does not read the game & is simply not good enough-its plain to see-I & am sure many Hearts fans dont want to criticise overtly a Hearts player, but he has been really really poor in virtually every game he has played since coming back to us…. Not good enough

Sub4TiddlerMurray
59 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I’m not sure it can, it’s a natural instinct just like a good striker has a natural instinct to get in goalscoring positions.    He’s not a teenager, he’s 23 - do you not think the coaches at Barnsley would have already tried to coach this into him?

C'mon it's not like asking someone to be faster or be more skilful, it's simple, "when the ball goes wide, instead of watching the ball, first, look to see where the danger is."  That's not that hard.

...we have no idea what the coaches at Barnsley were doing.

What I do know, is that after his first loan spell at Hearts, almost every single JKB poster wanted him re-signed. Then he signs and all of a sudden he's the one that's getting singled out for abuse. And, that's despicable.

Not at teenager? Get a grip. He's a young kid that happens to be more talented than any kids that have emerged from our Academy since Hickey. We need to treat him as such rather than picking away at any perceived weaknesses. Because, what's to be gained from they eh? What is it really that you want to happen? To hound him until he leaves. Is that it?

Naisys Tackle
11 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

C'mon it's not like asking someone to be faster or be more skilful, it's simple, "when the ball goes wide, instead of watching the ball, first, look to see where the danger is."  That's not that hard.

...we have no idea what the coaches at Barnsley were doing.

What I do know, is that after his first loan spell at Hearts, almost every single JKB poster wanted him re-signed. Then he signs and all of a sudden he's the one that's getting singled out for abuse. And, that's despicable.

Not at teenager? Get a grip. He's a young kid that happens to be more talented than any kids that have emerged from our Academy since Hickey. We need to treat him as such rather than picking away at any perceived weaknesses. Because, what's to be gained from they eh? What is it really that you want to happen? To hound him until he leaves. Is that it?

He played 3 games last time around and none of them at CH.

He sees himself in that position but isnt good enough. 

Despicable?  Pointing out or having the opinion hes not a good player?  Hardly a hate crime.

Edited by Robbies Tackle

Sub4TiddlerMurray
53 minutes ago, LochcarronJambo said:

Yes I actually went to the pre-season games including trips to Tranmere & Preston….he is constantly out of position, does not read the game & is simply not good enough-its plain to see-I & am sure many Hearts fans dont want to criticise overtly a Hearts player, but he has been really really poor in virtually every game he has played since coming back to us…. Not good enough

I knew it would be a mistake this weekend to come on JKB after our defeat because it would be full of angry old gits moaning, But this is really mean spirited.

Sub4TiddlerMurray
3 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

He played 3 games last time around and none of them at CH.

He sees himself in that position but isnt good enough. 

Despicable?  Pointing out or having the opinion hes not a good player?  Hardly a hate crime.

The thing is, you don't know if he sees himself as a CB. It just so happens that RN plays him there because all 3 first choice CBs were injured. Maybe he wants to play as a DM. Probably most posters would prefer to see him there. That's where he played in his first loan spell and where he was MOM on his debut against Rangers.

Well, you say "hardly a hate crime"  but I wouldn't want my 23 year old son to be slagged off so publicly, would you? The abuse even made the national press. To continue the tirade does seem completely disproportionate and inappropriate.

Naisys Tackle
9 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

The thing is, you don't know if he sees himself as a CB. It just so happens that RN plays him there because all 3 first choice CBs were injured. Maybe he wants to play as a DM. Probably most posters would prefer to see him there. That's where he played in his first loan spell and where he was MOM on his debut against Rangers.

Well, you say "hardly a hate crime"  but I wouldn't want my 23 year old son to be slagged off so publicly, would you? The abuse even made the national press. To continue the tirade does seem completely disproportionate and inappropriate.

That was the reported reason he was leaving Barnsley at the time, he wanted to develop at CH but they didnt see a future for him in that role.   Hes hardly going to get near the 1st team as a DM either.  We are well covered there and always have been.  

You're taking it too far "slagged off in public" he's a footballer, it happens.  I'm sure you have booed or gave abuse to opposition players in your time - they have feelings and parents too etc.  

Toby Sibbick insists he's willing to star for Hearts in the midfield against Hibs.

The defender by trade is ready to help his side who are in the midst of a personnel crisis of sorts.

Robbie Neilson is without Beni Baningime through injury as well as Cammy Devlin.

But versatile Sibbick will do what he can to fill in after having played in that position under former Jambos boss Daniel Stendel at Tynecastle and former club Barnsley.

"I think it was the first time I'd played there since the last time I was up here and my final match against St Johnstone," he told the Edinburgh Evening News.

"I played there a couple of times while at Barnsley and a bit more in my youth football days, but not properly professionally.

"It's something I've only done a few times in my career. But if I'm asked to fill in anywhere then I'm more than happy to because I'm quite a versatile player.

Edited by Robbies Tackle

Sub4TiddlerMurray
11 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

You're taking it too far "slagged off in public" he's a footballer, it happens.  I'm sure you have booed or gave abuse to opposition players in your time - they have feelings and parents too etc.  

If you are gonna use quotation marks, try not to use your own words or paraphrase. 

So, you think it's a good thing for a young player to be "slagged off in public" because "it happens".

What, he needs to grow a pair?

And, you assume that I give abuse too, because, eh, it's normal, everybody does it?

And in case your deflected point takes us off track, this is all about one of our own young players being "booed or gave abuse" (sic).

Please don't answer. 

Naisys Tackle
8 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

If you are gonna use quotation marks, try not to use your own words or paraphrase. 

So, you think it's a good thing for a young player to be "slagged off in public" because "it happens".

What, he needs to grow a pair?

And, you assume that I give abuse too, because, eh, it's normal, everybody does it?

And in case your deflected point takes us off track, this is all about one of our own young players being "booed or gave abuse" (sic).

Please don't answer. 

You're all out on offended mode before a post has been made it seems.

Stop with your slagged off in public pap.

Who said he needs to grow a pair?  Stop looking for things to be offended at with your mock outrage. 

So you have never given abuse or booed any footballer at a game ever?  Stay silent when the likes of Lennon Riordan Brown or Griffiths come to town aye?

Sound mate :lol:  

Edited by Robbies Tackle

Much of the case for writing off Sibbick seems to be centred around the flaws in his game not being some thing that can be coached out of him and that he’s 23 so its too late to learn …………… personally I think that is bollocks on both counts as the improvement in many players over the years would indicate but clearly many people have made up their minds all ready so there is little point in arguing to the contrary when I am far from certain he will make it my self …………… I totally think he has a chance though

What I am more interested in is whether those who are writing him off will do the same with the next young player who is struggling ?

Its all well and good putting your hands up and saying I was wrong well done player x y or z but then the next guy coming through takes a while to get up to speed and the cycle begins again 😄

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

Much of the case for writing off Sibbick seems to be centred around the flaws in his game not being some thing that can be coached out of him and that he’s 23 so its too late to learn …………… personally I think that is bollocks on both counts as the improvement in many players over the years would indicate but clearly many people have made up their minds all ready so there is little point in arguing to the contrary when I am far from certain he will make it my self …………… I totally think he has a chance though

What I am more interested in is whether those who are writing him off will do the same with the next young player who is struggling ?

Its all well and good putting your hands up and saying I was wrong well done player x y or z but then the next guy coming through takes a while to get up to speed and the cycle begins again 😄

This. Some of the most vociferous critics will no doubt have been the ones who were baying for him to be signed.  The boy is pretty low in confidence just now and should be supported. Booing him does nothing to help. 

Sub4TiddlerMurray
9 hours ago, Robbies Tackle said:

You're all out on offended mode before a post has been made it seems.

Stop with your slagged off in public pap.

Who said he needs to grow a pair?  Stop looking for things to be offended at with your mock outrage. 

So you have never given abuse or booed any footballer at a game ever?  Stay silent when the likes of Lennon Riordan Brown or Griffiths come to town aye?

Sound mate :lol:  

Not offended in the slightest. I was responding after you had a go at a young Hearts player.

And one thing I never do is boo a Hearts player. Ever

If you think that’s the same thing as booing a “Lennon Riordan Brown or Griffiths” then it’s clear I’m not the one with anger issues…..”mate”.

Sub4TiddlerMurray
39 minutes ago, Deevers said:

This. Some of the most vociferous critics will no doubt have been the ones who were baying for him to be signed.  The boy is pretty low in confidence just now and should be supported. Booing him does nothing to help. 

100%

13 hours ago, Robbies Tackle said:

So many random excuses made for the boy.  He's simply not at the level required and is a week link.

Can people stop comparing him with Zal too - he have evident quality as soon as he came in to the team. 

A week link?  If he can link the weeks then perhaps he can replace Boyce.

Zal, Webster, Souttar were all dodgy when they started with us imo.  Quite common for young centre-halves to have bombscare moments.

13 hours ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Wow that is a rewrite of History. Zal was honking probably looks 10 times worse than Sibbick. 

Sibbick looked like a player a couple of season ago and just needs someone to have a word in his ear. 

Just now, Rods said:

Wow that is a rewrite of History. Zal was honking probably looks 10 times worse than Sibbick. 

Sibbick looked like a player a couple of season ago and just needs someone to have a word in his ear. 

He'll come good, bookmark it

tartofmidlothian

He's looked good the last couple of times I've seen him play. He's got all he needs, just didn't have the experience or the confidence at first. Both are developing.

Most folk wanted Halkett binned after his first season and now he's probably our most important defender. And he was older than Sibbick is, so the idea he can't improve is nuts.

I also don't think he's been anywhere near as bad as made out, just the latest in a long line of scapegoats. Other players make mistakes that don't get anywhere near the same level of scrutiny.

LochcarronJambo
12 hours ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

I knew it would be a mistake this weekend to come on JKB after our defeat because it would be full of angry old gits moaning, But this is really mean spirited.

Unfortunately its the truth, Sibbick just isn’t good enough, I wish he was

14 hours ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

I don't understand at all what you mean by "mistiming and use of his body when defending". The only errors he has made have been when he was ball-watching rather than keeping tight to the man he should be marking or spotting the danger over his shoulder. Now that is something that can be taught. He clearly has the technical ability on the ball, can tackle as well if not better than others in the team and the right physical attributes. He has tremendous development potential that will only be undermined by so-called Hearts fans having a go at him and especially anyone that boos him during a game. Hope you are not one of those.

Exactly.  I just can't get my head around "supporters" booing or having a go at our players.  The only time it's in any way acceptable is if a guy is taking the piss and that's frankly massively rare.

Sibbick is getting the Clare treatment.  A very obviously talented lad, who has all the tools and needs support to make the best of them.  He's being used more than I think the plan would be due to injuries and wouldn't it be nice if he just came in and smashed it.

But as it is, he keeps having lapses.  The last thing he needs is his own fans berrating and vilifying him.  He needs our support.

At the very root of it: doesn't every Hearts "supporter" want us to do well?????????????  Do we not want to get every ounce we can out of players?  Do you think booing a player so obviously doing his best but inside his own head will improve or reduce his performance level????

I just don't get it.  I don't boo Hearts players cos I'm not a total bellend, but mostly it's cos I'm selfish - I want those guys to do well for ME so I want their playing environment to be the best it can be to allow them to perform.

People are idiots.  Same morons who moan at staff in restaurants etc.  know-it-alls with no knowledge

section s heart
1 hour ago, tartofmidlothian said:

He's looked good the last couple of times I've seen him play. He's got all he needs, just didn't have the experience or the confidence at first. Both are developing.

Thought he showed more aggression when he came on v Killie, and to some extent on Saturday, although team performances were poor. Small steps, but I was happy to see him getting a bit more involved in things.

6 minutes ago, section s heart said:

Thought he showed more aggression when he came on v Killie, and to some extent on Saturday, although team performances were poor. Small steps, but I was happy to see him getting a bit more involved in things.

Best loaned out till January. 

Sub4TiddlerMurray
2 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Exactly.  I just can't get my head around "supporters" booing or having a go at our players.  The only time it's in any way acceptable is if a guy is taking the piss and that's frankly massively rare.

Sibbick is getting the Clare treatment.  A very obviously talented lad, who has all the tools and needs support to make the best of them.  He's being used more than I think the plan would be due to injuries and wouldn't it be nice if he just came in and smashed it.

But as it is, he keeps having lapses.  The last thing he needs is his own fans berrating and vilifying him.  He needs our support.

At the very root of it: doesn't every Hearts "supporter" want us to do well?????????????  Do we not want to get every ounce we can out of players?  Do you think booing a player so obviously doing his best but inside his own head will improve or reduce his performance level????

I just don't get it.  I don't boo Hearts players cos I'm not a total bellend, but mostly it's cos I'm selfish - I want those guys to do well for ME so I want their playing environment to be the best it can be to allow them to perform.

People are idiots.  Same morons who moan at staff in restaurants etc.  know-it-alls with no knowledge

Absolutely BigO. Agree on every point 👍

Naisys Tackle
2 hours ago, Rods said:

No he didn't, he made a few brain farts that was it.

Sibbick played 3 games in a poor team that went down a couple of seasons back, now he's needed to make a step up he looks way out his depth. 

Naisys Tackle
4 hours ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Not offended in the slightest. I was responding after you had a go at a young Hearts player.

And one thing I never do is boo a Hearts player. Ever

If you think that’s the same thing as booing a “Lennon Riordan Brown or Griffiths” then it’s clear I’m not the one with anger issues…..”mate”.

Where did I have a go?  My opinion is he is nowhere near good enough.

Neither would I.

It is all giving or shouting abuse at young players who have parents and children or is it fair game to shout abuse at others if not in a Hearts top yeah?

Take your mock outrage about abusing players elsewhere - you've basically just admitted you've done similar to opposition players :lol: 

Sub4TiddlerMurray
20 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Where did I have a go?  My opinion is he is nowhere near good enough.

Neither would I.

It is all giving or shouting abuse at young players who have parents and children or is it fair game to shout abuse at others if not in a Hearts top yeah?

Take your mock outrage about abusing players elsewhere - you've basically just admitted you've done similar to opposition players :lol: 

"Mock outrage" FM! You just make up the other side of your own argument and project it onto the other person. Very Trumpish.

It's really not worth responding to you.

Naisys Tackle
1 hour ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

"Mock outrage" FM! You just make up the other side of your own argument and project it onto the other person. Very Trumpish.

It's really not worth responding to you.

Yes.  You come on all offended about abuse to a young laddie (23) but its ok to abuse others as long as theyre not HMFC.

Unless its not personal sickening abuse at all its moans and groans from the stand at a football game. 

Malinga the Swinga
4 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Very hard to disagree with anything you have said. That won't stop people trying though.

1 hour ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Sibbick played 3 games in a poor team that went down a couple of seasons back, now he's needed to make a step up he looks way out his depth. 

aye okay then.

Zal looked like a rabbit in the headlights. Mistakes, stupid cards etc. 

if we are comparing Sibbick to Zal then Sibbick is currently ahead if we compare game on game basis at the start of their Hearts careers.

Halkett played in the same team you are talking about and people were all for him being ousted and close to booing. 

I wonder if the boo boys( not aimed at you as you seem to be making a point) stop and think to themselves am I the idiot here.

2 hours ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Zaliukas got it absolutely stinking and not just for a short period either 

See in spite of all the abuse Toby gets he never ever hides or let’s his head drop he still shouts for the ball makes runs and puts in 100 per cent effort ………… it will come 

Naisys Tackle
23 minutes ago, Rods said:

aye okay then.

Zal looked like a rabbit in the headlights. Mistakes, stupid cards etc. 

if we are comparing Sibbick to Zal then Sibbick is currently ahead if we compare game on game basis at the start of their Hearts careers.

Halkett played in the same team you are talking about and people were all for him being ousted and close to booing. 

I wonder if the boo boys( not aimed at you as you seem to be making a point) stop and think to themselves am I the idiot here.

Not a chance Sibbicks ahead of Zal.  Remember he came in during the season of the Riccarton 3 debacle, played well in 3 derbies and scored in two including the winner at ER. 

In what way is he ahead?  Zal played well his first three games as DM too.  There is no way Sibbick looks better this season than Zali did when he joined. 

Naisys Tackle
7 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Zaliukas got it absolutely stinking and not just for a short period either 

Because he was just another Lithuanian coming right into the team and all that shite.  He came in at a time Webster had gone and Elvis was leaving and he got it tight for politics more than anything for me. 

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Not a chance Sibbicks ahead of Zal.  Remember he came in during the season of the Riccarton 3 debacle, played well in 3 derbies and scored in two including the winner at ER. 

In what way is he ahead?  Zal played well his first three games as DM too.  There is no way Sibbick looks better this season than Zali did when he joined. 

Agreed. 

The zal- Sibbick comparison is honking. 

Naisys Tackle
1 minute ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Agreed. 

The zal- Sibbick comparison is honking. 

There is also more chance of Garry OConnor becoming next First Minister than there is Sibbick captaining Hearts to the Scottish Cup. 

4 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Agreed! I’m really struggling to see this Zal comparison. 

I also don’t know why everyone that had a poor opinion of him as a player is being chucked in with the boo boys. I didn’t boo him. I just don’t think he’s good enough and considering some of the hysterical reactions to a defeat to Livi at the weekend, we don’t have the luxury of letting him slowly improve in the first team. 

3 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Because he was just another Lithuanian coming right into the team and all that shite.  He came in at a time Webster had gone and Elvis was leaving and he got it tight for politics more than anything for me. 

Correct. I think a lot of people have forgotten the context around a lot of the negative reaction to players at that time. 

Bazzas right boot
5 hours ago, TheBigO said:

No one should boo our players. 

However, Sibbick isn't that great, he's been poor to average in all his games since coming back. 

He'll get my full support on the pitch but the guy is struggling and been poor so far. 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Robbies Tackle said:

There is also more chance of Garry OConnor becoming next First Minister than there is Sibbick captaining Hearts to the Scottish Cup. 

🤣🤣

13 minutes ago, Sooks said:

See in spite of all the abuse Toby gets he never ever hides or let’s his head drop he still shouts for the ball makes runs and puts in 100 per cent effort ………… it will come 

Plenty players put effort in. Christ I’d offer myself up for a couple grand a week. I’ll put plenty effort in, I’ll just not be good enough. 

12 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I agree. He will come good. Folk forget he hasn’t been a central defender that long and I still feel his dynamism would be best used in another position. Time will tell but comparing him to zaliukas is a bit daft in all honesty. 

3 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Plenty players put effort in. Christ I’d offer myself up for a couple grand a week. I’ll put plenty effort in, I’ll just not be good enough. 

Good job I was not saying he should be getting a game based purely on effort then I suppose

Just now, Sooks said:

Good job I was not saying he should be getting a game based purely on effort then I suppose

Hard to tell what you were saying then. 

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I agree. He will come good. Folk forget he hasn’t been a central defender that long and I still feel his dynamism would be best used in another position. Time will tell but comparing him to zaliukas is a bit daft in all honesty. 

I think the comparison is fair same with Pressley Karipidis or Halkett 

All were panned early doors by people confidently stating they were not good enough

Naisys Tackle
5 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Agreed! I’m really struggling to see this Zal comparison. 

I also don’t know why everyone that had a poor opinion of him as a player is being chucked in with the boo boys. I didn’t boo him. I just don’t think he’s good enough and considering some of the hysterical reactions to a defeat to Livi at the weekend, we don’t have the luxury of letting him slowly improve in the first team. 

Correct. I think a lot of people have forgotten the context around a lot of the negative reaction to players at that time. 

Yeah I'm with you.

IF (and even that's quite a big if) there could be one player we may be able to compare him with after looking like a fish out of water and then became a first choice CH and a decent footballer too is for me Darren Barr.  Even then its a push as he was class at Falkirk in the Prem.

• davemclaren changed the title to Toby Sibbick ( merged )