Defensively Embarrassing

Boris5115

7 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

We rarely seem to lose a goal on merit, always horrific errors.

Kio x2

Gordon

Smith

All culpable today.

Their last goal was one of my pet hates - with the ball out wide the far side centre back, Sibbick, was so into his man that he got dragged toward the ball, past the near side centre back and past the near post!

His zone's meant to cover in front of the goal when the ball's wide on that side, and he's running beyond the front post.

I hate seeing that from central defenders, it really makes me wonder how well they know their position.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stirlo

• Bazzas right boot

• Boris5115

• NB GIN

Malinga the Swinga

First and last goals from shitty deflections, especially first. Was going straight to Gordon before flick off Kio.

These Celtic ***** got every break going.

7 hours ago, Boris5115 said:

Whilst today was a much better performance than we all thought.. Defensively that was unacceptable for a professional football team. Whilst we are missing key players in that department if the basics can't be met then you are up against it. Other than that we must take a bit of encouragement from today. 

If Halkett and Rowles had played we win that game but we have to play players out of position. So we are going to struggle until they are back! 🤷‍♂️

11 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

First and last goals from shitty deflections, especially first. Was going straight to Gordon before flick off Kio.

I concur

pettigrewsstylist
2 hours ago, OTT said:

What really annoys me about this whole shitshow is that Savage, Neilson, their coaching and backroom team are paid to know this. Learning curve and all that bollocks just doesn't cut it. Would anyone be happy having their lawyer **** something up because they're still learning? Would they ****. You pay them good money because they are supposed to understand their field better than some random on the street. 

Everyone and their dug could have told you at the start of the season, with Europe we needed to make sure we had cover across the pitch because more games = less recovery time which = higher chance of injury. 

For whatever reason he's tried to be too cute and clever with the squad size and its blown up in his face, ruined our European adventure and derailed the start of our season. I genuinely don't believe you can just chalk the injuries up to bad luck and shrug it off. The situation we're in is squarely down to bad planning. We failed to bring in adequate cover over the summer which left us short. Having experienced time and time again over Souttars time with us the damage his injuries did to our season, I do not understand why cover for Halkett was not sought. Kingsley is barely holding this defence together, and he's able to do that because he has experience. Neilson and Sibbick are like rabbits in headlights. We needed experience and it wasn't delivered. 

This place was nervous going into the season because of how quiet our transfer business was. So from the outset, we all knew we were short and taking a massive ****ing risk. So I don't know what the hell Savage and Neilson thought they were doing. 

Its sad because I think we've been let down big style by those responsible for building the squad. It was as simple as signing someone like Ryan McGowan. A no frills CB who had been around the block. Instead, I'm 99% sure we were aiming for brilliant signings that all fell through. Ambition is fine, but it needs to be tempered with reality.  If the squad was fine, why were we looking at Joe Wright? - Because we knew we needed another CB. 

Naive and reckless. 

All correct and everyone i mix with saw it coming mid august like a train .  The inability to coach/drill the Haring, Sibbick, Smith, Kingsley, Nielson CB options into anything resembling competent is the other failure.

Edited by pettigrewsstylist

43 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Their last goal was one of my pet hates - with the ball out wide the far side centre back, Sibbick, was so into his man that he got dragged toward the ball, past the near side centre back and past the near post!

His zone's meant to cover in front of the goal when the ball's wide on that side, and he's running beyond the front post.

I hate seeing that from central defenders, it really makes me wonder how well they know their position.

Spot on. Their winning goal is an absolute shocker from professional footballers. Smith and Devlin at fault as well. 

The Mooy miss though was one of the worst phases of play defensively I think I’ve ever seem from a Heart’s team. 🤯

48 minutes ago, hearts00 said:

The Mooy miss though was one of the worst phases of play defensively I think I’ve ever seem from a Heart’s team. 🤯

A carefully arranged collection of wheelie bins couldn’t have allowed Celtic’s players more space than our ‘defenders’ did!

4 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

Eh?? 

We signed 2/3 Rowles, Neilson, and Sibbick 

Pretty sure Sibbick was signed last season. Yet to be convinced that he is a central defender too. Stendel played him defensive mid and he looked decent there before he got injured, and may well be better suited to right back.

Neilson is a player for the future, not for now.

Rowles looks a promising signing.

No escaping the fact that we should have signed an experienced right sided central defender as a back up, preferably one that can actually win a header.

It’s done now. Halkett and Rowles are nearly back and hopefully our fortunes will quickly change as a result.

pettigrewsstylist
2 hours ago, Snedds76 said:

Great performance and exceeded what we all thought the final score would be but as I sit on the train home the simple fact still stands... 7th yes 7th game in a row we've conceded from a cross ball... Shocking at any level of football.!. 

7th doesnt really worry me, its the points difference to 3rd staring to climb now. I think Aberdeen go to Ibrox soon tho. Big 3 games coming up for us. 

HeartsandonlyHearts
3 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Unless there was a shout from Gordon to leave it Kio was never ever going to let it run. Just bad luck. He had no choice but to try and stop it.

Leveins Battalion
13 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

Eh?? 

We signed 2/3 Rowles, Neilson, and Sibbick 

13 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Yip.

We should have signed 18, just in case. 

Sibbick is nowhere near good enough to play CH for Hearts if we have aspirations of kicking on.

Neilson was not signed as a 1st pick CH but one for the future.

We were clearly still on the lookout as we had Joe Wright on trial and failed with the Polish guy,we failed to improve that area of the team after Soutarr left amd we have left ourselfs well short which is why we are sitting 7th in the league in the middle of October 

6 hours ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Unless there was a shout from Gordon to leave it Kio was never ever going to let it run. Just bad luck. He had no choice but to try and stop it.

Exactly had to slide in to prevent the cross just bad luck that the ball bounces up for them like it did. Would be more critical on how no one was anywhere near Forrest to nod into the net from there.

18 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Sibbick is nowhere near good enough to play CH for Hearts if we have aspirations of kicking on.

We were clearly still on the lookout as we had Joe Wright on trial and failed with the Polish guy,we failed to improve that area of the team after Soutarr left amd we have left ourselfs well short which is why we are sitting 7th in the league in the middle of October 

Yeah he’s poor the second goal is on him. The big Greek boy is big and powerful but he just lets him run off him at the corner and gives him a feee header. Folk saying he was decent yesterday just shows how much of a disaster he has been in the team.  Really need Halkett and Rowles back asap.

Our failure to secure a RCB and any further adequate defensive cover is a huge black mark against Neilson and/or Savage.

We had 8 months for the very expensive “recruitment team” to identify and sign players and all we came up with is a 19 year from Dundee Utd….and he was someone from RN’s background.

This has to be corrected in January. 

Please God 🙏 let at least one one of Halkett or Rowles be fit next week, the defending is absolutely school boy stuff at the minute 😅 leaking goals is an understatement.

The issue is obviious (missing Halkett and Rowles). However, the failure to bring in another centre back is a self-inflicted wound. That failure lies with Robbie Neilson, Savage and the recruitment team. Sibbick and Lewis Neilson are nowhere experienced enough or good enough.

12 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Please God 🙏 let at least one one of Halkett or Rowles be fit next week, the defending is absolutely school boy stuff at the minute 😅 leaking goals is an understatement.

Our best chance at the moment is to play really attacking and hope for the best because we just don't seem capable of defending. It's very difficult to see us keeping a clean sheet until we have a decent centre-back fit again.

Bazzas right boot
5 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Maybe we tried but couldn't get one we wanted. 

Just watched the fourth goal again. It's an absolute horror show defensively. When he scores there are 8 Hearts players in the penalty area plus Gordon but most are either ball watching or just looking on. We desperately need central defenders but we also need to defend so much better as a team.

40 minutes ago, stirlo said:

Just watched the fourth goal again. It's an absolute horror show defensively. When he scores there are 8 Hearts players in the penalty area plus Gordon but most are either ball watching or just looking on. We desperately need central defenders but we also need to defend so much better as a team.

Not watching the goal again but it's been the same for a while. Not just the defenders who are defending badly in and around the box.

While I agree we've not been great defensively, you should see some of the howlers in England at the weekend and previous weeks. And some of these guys are on over 100k a week!!

While we wait for our key defenders to return let's play the Celtic way. Their defence is the weakest part of their team but they limit the amount of pressure they endure by being strong in other areas of the park. Hearts were at their best on Sunday when there was a willingness to get forward and commit their defenders as abley demonstrated by Cammy. Whilst I admit that over committing to attack can leave us open to the sucker punch employing the old chesnut "attack is the best form of defence" might reap rewards in the upcoming games.

I also think that approaching a game with this mindset would gain the approval of the majority of our support.

On 22/10/2022 at 22:35, Thomaso said:

If Halkett and Rowles had played we win that game but we have to play players out of position. So we are going to struggle until they are back! 🤷‍♂️

why we never got a couple of loanees in ? we and still are desperate for  central defenders to tide us over...this has been costly...

Watch the corner Celtic score from. Kio is marking Craig Gordon while no celtic player is near either of them. Bizzare

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Chillidigits said:

While we wait for our key defenders to return let's play the Celtic way. Their defence is the weakest part of their team but they limit the amount of pressure they endure by being strong in other areas of the park. Hearts were at their best on Sunday when there was a willingness to get forward and commit their defenders as abley demonstrated by Cammy. Whilst I admit that over committing to attack can leave us open to the sucker punch employing the old chesnut "attack is the best form of defence" might reap rewards in the upcoming games.

I also think that approaching a game with this mindset would gain the approval of the majority of our support.

Definitely 

2 hours ago, Chillidigits said:

Totally agree.

I remember before our 4-0 win against Celtic, Levein said we had so many defensive injuries “we were going to have a go!”

I thought this would usher in a new dawn of attacking football under Levein but when the injured players returned it was back to the same old turgid stuff.

5 hours ago, Chillidigits said:

Good post. When we play on the offensive, the worst that can happen is we get caught on the counter attack. If we set out to defend we're liable to get hammered as we just can't defend at the moment. Parking the bus is not even an option now as we simply don't have a bus to park!

3 hours ago, stirlo said:

Good post. When we play on the offensive, the worst that can happen is we get caught on the counter attack. If we set out to defend we're liable to get hammered as we just can't defend at the moment. Parking the bus is not even an option now as we simply don't have a bus to park!

You never noticed the flood of hooped jerseys at the breakdowns then?

Sub4TiddlerMurray
On 23/10/2022 at 09:06, PapaShango said:

Yeah he’s poor the second goal is on him. The big Greek boy is big and powerful but he just lets him run off him at the corner and gives him a feee header. Folk saying he was decent yesterday just shows how much of a disaster he has been in the team.  Really need Halkett and Rowles back asap.

Not true. Sibbick was marking Carter Vickers.

Snodgrass was the player you are describing that let Giacoumakis run off him. 

You have a young centre back in Neilson who looks like he can be a real asset but I feel he’s being hung out to dry because there’s no leadership or quality to help the lad. Players like Jardine Bruno, Weir, Pressley, Webster and even Berra all helped  the defence with their wealth of experience. Where is that solid dependable experienced leader who can control and lead those around him in the heart of our defence.

9 hours ago, Jambo61 said:

You never noticed the flood of hooped jerseys at the breakdowns then?

If you look at the goals we conceded they generally resulted from defensive errors rather than being caught on the counter attack. As I mentioned in my previous post, at the fourth goal there were 8 outfield Hearts players in the box but unfortunately most of them were ball watching or just looking on. Another of the goals was a simple failure to defend a cross into the box. The first one was just a basic error. So it's not as if we were conceding goals from 4 on 2, 3 on 1 situations etc.

Edited by stirlo

Bazzas right boot
6 hours ago, mitch41 said:

You have a young centre back in Neilson who looks like he can be a real asset but I feel he’s being hung out to dry because there’s no leadership or quality to help the lad. Players like Jardine Bruno, Weir, Pressley, Webster and even Berra all helped  the defence with their wealth of experience. Where is that solid dependable experienced leader who can control and lead those around him in the heart of our defence.

Injured.

Shouldn't really be news.

Bazzas right boot
8 hours ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Not true. Sibbick was marking Carter Vickers.

Snodgrass was the player you are describing that let Giacoumakis run off him. 

Aye,  Snodgrass seem to lose his footing a bit,completely lost his man.