Defensively Embarrassing

Boris5115

3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Which mistakes exactly? The deflection off his leg today when he was attempting to make a block, as he should have been? What others? 

Some dafty was hounding him today and I think a few others are just repeating his nonsense 

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stirlo

• Bazzas right boot

• Boris5115

• NB GIN

I've only seen their winner live today but it looked like the deflection just luckily for them favoured Taylor. 

I cant criticise Smith until I see it again.

Mind we normally just gift those creations 4 or 5 goals without return so ultimately I'm heartened by a pretty patched together Hearts team doing so well

1 minute ago, Nelly Terraces said:

TBF He didn’t make any mistakes as essentially he didn’t get involved in the game whatsoever. He’s as good as being a man down.

Buying this dud is just 1 huge mistake as he is shite.

Broke up play a few times, including winning the ball and moving it on leading to our only goal from open play. 

avhudtheteeshirt

Last week Hibs had their strongest defence on the field and lost 6 goals!!!

We lost 4 with no central defender on the park.

If our team plays like that every game, we will start to climb the league, no worries!!!

21 minutes ago, stirlo said:

I disagree. If we'd scored 6 today they'd have scored 7. Celtic were very average but basically scored at will in that game.

Attacking-wise we offered a lot more than previous games, but defensively we're a total shambles and until we sort that out we're really going to struggle. For weeks and weeks people have been talking up the opposition, but the truth is the goals we're giving away would be disappointing against any level of opposition.

Celtic were not average today.

The difference was that after about 10 mins or so we imposed ourselves and stopped them playing their game.

When they did manage to get the ball forward though you could see the quality they have.

We also can't have it both ways. We got forward in numbers today which left us more exposed at times and unfortunately some incisive play from Celtic, coupled with some good breaks of the ball, meant we lost out.

As strange as it sounds, having lost 4 goals, I don't think that was in any way close to the worst we've defended this season. In the Istanbul and Fiorentina games we were battered. In Florence we could easily have been more than 4 down, 1st half. And I really hope Neilson sticks with this back line so they have time to get to settle in together. We've had a different back line every week!

Edited by spacerjoe

Pasquale for King

A bit harsh considering what we had in our team today and who we were playing, Gordon has to do better at Maedas goal and we are so bad a cross balls he should be coming out for crosses landing on our 6 yard line. As for his kicking 🤦🏽. Needing a rest soon. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

33 minutes ago, Kirky Jambo said:

Our defence really lacks aggression, especially without Halkett.

Today our lack of defence was compounded by a poor performance from Gordon. It’s incredibly easy to score against us, Celtic scored four, had two disallowed and missed two incredible chances.

To be fair, Gordon also did his stuff a few times and we also missed some good chances. Their disallowed goals? Too bad for them: they were rightfully chalked off.

4 minutes ago, Boris5115 said:

I think you will find I don't start threads for the sake of it. I just think that todays inability to carry out the basics of defending hit an all time low. 

Exactly it is absolute basics. 

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

A bit harsh considering what we had in our twam today ans who we were playing, Gordon has to do better at Maedas goal and we are so bad a cross balls he should be coming out for crosses landing on our 6 yard line. As for his kicking 🤦🏽. Needing a rest soon. 

Absolutely

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, spacerjoe said:

The difference was that after about 10 mins or so we imposed ourselves and stopped them playing their game.

When they did manage to get the ball forward though you could see the quality they have.

We also can't have it both ways. We got forward in numbers today which left us more exposed at times and unfortunately some incisive play from Celtic, coupled with some good breaks of the ball, meant we lost out.

As strange as it sounds, having lost 4 goals, I don't think that was in any way close to the worst we've defended this season. And I really hope Neilson sticks with this back line so they have time to get to settle in together. We've had a different back line every week!

Spot on,,there’s a way to lose these games and that was definitely it, they celebrated like they’d won the CL. 

1 minute ago, Boris5115 said:

I think you will find I don't start threads for the sake of it. I just think that todays inability to carry out the basics of defending hit an all time low. 

It was just highlighted more because it was against the best team in the League who make it more glaring and miss less than the rest. It's nothing new.  They've not been struggling for goals domestically. Six against Hibs, four against Motherwell midweek, four against Rangers.

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, Boris5115 said:

You see it all the time though, defending as an art is being lost, you have to be able to play now. Look at their defence for instance, torture for the money they’ve paid for them. 

4 minutes ago, spacerjoe said:

As strange as it sounds, having lost 4 goals, I don't think that was in any way close to the worst we've defended this season. In the Istanbul and Fiorentina games we were battered. In Florence we could easily have been more than 4 down, 1st half. And I really hope Neilson sticks with this back line so they have time to get to settle in together. We've had a different back line every week!

It may not be the worst all season - but that's not saying very much given how we've been shipping goals. The bottom line is that every time Celtic ventured into the final third you felt a goal was coming - the goals were all really poor defensively and I stand by my earlier post - if we'd scored 6 they'd have scored 7.

Dick Dastardly
10 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

I thought loans were allowed even out of the window.

I don't think so. Out of contract players can be signed but not loans, as far as my limited knowledge goes

3 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

It was just highlighted more because it was against the best team in the League who make it more glaring and miss less than the rest. It's nothing new.  They've not been struggling for goals domestically. Six against Hibs, four against Motherwell midweek, four against Rangers.

I think 3 of Celtics 4 goals were avoidable. Can't get Halkett and Rowles back soon enough. I think it's time to rest Gordon and give Clark a run. 

1 minute ago, stirlo said:

It may not be the worst all season - but that's not saying very much given how we've been shipping goals. The bottom line is that every time Celtic ventured into the final third you felt a goal was coming - the goals were all really poor defensively and I stand by my earlier post - if we'd scored 6 they'd have scored 7.

I felt that was against Fiorentina, but not today.

We finished that first half having confined them to a couple of shots, one that went in via a deflected cross. Didn't really feel like they were scoring at will. If they were they would have put us to bed as early as possible.

Even with Halkett back we'd still be vulnerable to a team worth nearly £100M.

6 minutes ago, stirlo said:

Would they though? Score 7?  Certainly defensively Celtic could lose 6 which seems incredible but it was there to see today.

Edited by Riccarton3

Set piece defending is beyond embarrassing now. Beyond schoolboy. It’s the worst I’ve ever seen at Hearts. That’s not only in the defence but the entire team. A group of professionals who flat out REFUSE to attack a ball in the air. 

Boyce is also a huge miss as he would normally take the front area and head away more often than not.

6 minutes ago, Boris5115 said:

I think 3 of Celtics 4 goals were avoidable. Can't get Halkett and Rowles back soon enough. I think it's time to rest Gordon and give Clark a run. 

Yeah, its a big blow both are out. As much as by highlighting the drop in quality  and numbers that can perform well enough as back up. 

Edited by Riccarton3

Just now, spacerjoe said:

We finished that first half having confined them to a couple of shots, one that went in via a deflected cross. Didn't really feel like they were scoring at will. If they were they would have put us to bed as early as possible.

The reason we confined them to so few chances in the first half was we pressed them high up the pitch and tried to play the game on the front foot - and I don't think anyone is criticising today's performance from an attacking perspective. The point is that their chances to conversion rate was extremely high. I haven't watched the goals back yet, but my feeling at the game was that for all of them the defending was really poor. And until we sort that we'll continue to ship goals whether we're playing Celtic, Fiorentina or Alloa Athletic. 

23 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Which mistakes exactly? The deflection off his leg today when he was attempting to make a block, as he should have been? What others? 

He passed the ball to an opponent twice. He seems to be marking nobody most of the time and is a bombscare in his own box. He’s slow in the head and slow generally. 

If he was our number one target this summer then I’m glad we never got to say our number 4 target. 

23 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

I thought loans were allowed even out of the window.

No, you can’t sign loan players, only free agents not connected to any club.

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

He passed the ball to an opponent twice. He seems to be marking nobody most of the time and is a bombscare in his own box. He’s slow in the head and slow generally. 

If he was our number one target this summer then I’m glad we never got to say our number 4 target. 

I have the same impression of Kio at the moment.

I hope that its because he's in my head as being a bit useless and I'm missing the good stuff he does. Its easy to get this way.

south morocco
1 minute ago, Dsjambo said:

No, you can’t sign loan players, only free agents not connected to any club.

Who won’t be match fit. Frustrating I know but we need to get to the World Cup break and regroup and get some players fit. 

8 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Would they though? Score 7?  Certainly defensively Celtic could lose 6 which seems incredible but it was there to see today.

When we had a free kick in the first minute of stoppage time, I was already thinking that if we scored they'd probably get an equaliser - that's how little confidence I have in our defence just now! We were briefly 2-1 ahead, they go up a gear, have a couple of attempts on goal and its 3-2. For weeks and weeks we've been shipping really poor goals and until we sort that we're going to struggle to win games.

3 minutes ago, spacerjoe said:

I have the same impression of Kio at the moment.

I hope that its because he's in my head as being a bit useless and I'm missing the good stuff he does. Its easy to get this way.

He’s been poor but he’s just in the door and st a tricky time. Not made the impression I hope he would but early doors I guess. 

fabienleclerq
43 minutes ago, Imaman said:

Souttar has been a huge loss. Impossible to replace him as he was quality. 

Shite thread, we've so many players injured what did you expect? Recruitment or lack of has kicked us in the ass this season.

Souttar would be on the injury table as usual.

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

He’s been poor but he’s just in the door and st a tricky time. Not made the impression I hope he would but early doors I guess. 

Nope. As you say, considering how much we chased him you'd have expected something more so far.

He just seems invisible to me, but maybe in games like today its because he's doing the simple things well and letting Cammy and Snodgrass take over.

I live in hope...

I can accept defeat today, as painful as it is, because we are up against a decent Celtic side without our two starting CBs, which is always going to make us dodgy at the back. 

The effort all over the park should be the expectation from a Hearts team.

When we are back to being full strength and we play like that regularly I'll be happy. Still not convinced we will play like that regularly enough tbh.

I think we were as good as we could be today, given current circumstances.

We had a go, we got in their face's, and with a bit of luck on our side, we could have taken a point, or more. 

The most important thing for me is, we had a go. Energy levels were better, and the performance all round was better. 

1 hour ago, ramrod said:

The bottom line is Halkett and Rowles are killing us .

Everyone on here saw this coming at start of season but hearts though we would be ok. Even before these two were injured we needed someone in 

If you can't win headers then the keeper needs to command his box better. How many crosses end up in or around the 6 yard box and Gordon is on his line. Just give it a punch. 

Sibbick was decent today.

12 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

Souttar would be on the injury table as usual.

Is he fit now to play for The Rangers 

4 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

If you can't win headers then the keeper needs to command his box better. How many crosses end up in or around the 6 yard box and Gordon is on his line. Just give it a punch. 

Sibbick was decent today.

I mind Big Gilles Rousset used to come running out to the 18 yard box to collect crosses. Gordon barely comes off his line these days. 

We've got Halkett and Rowles out. Huns have Goldson, Souttar and Helander out. It's not ideal to say the least being without those two, but we should have competent replacements. If you run with 4 CHs at a club like Hearts, they should all be capable. The goals we're losing are absolutely disgraceful.

2 minutes ago, Boris5115 said:

I mind Big Gilles Rousset used to come running out to the 18 yard box to collect crosses. Gordon barely comes off his line these days. 

Not sure he ever has but maybe Clark has that in his locker which would be a big help

Horatio Caine
40 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Our defending is shambolic,Sibbick is an utter carthorse.

Harsh.  I thought he did quite well, but it's now become fashionable to denigrate him.

2 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Not sure he ever has but maybe Clark has that in his locker which would be a big help

Clark can score goals too 😂

Pasquale for King
36 minutes ago, spacerjoe said:

Definitely, they only had 11 shots and 7 on target whereas Fiorentina had 25 against us. I think Celtic only had 1 or 2 on goal in the first half. 

Leveins Battalion
2 minutes ago, Horatio Caine said:

Harsh.  I thought he did quite well, but it's now become fashionable to denigrate him.

Na it's no fashionable,he has been shite for a calender year.

He is pish and will be punted in January.

4 minutes ago, Horatio Caine said:

Thought he had a decent game today. 

Horatio Caine
1 minute ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Na it's no fashionable,he has been shite for a calender year.

He is pish and will be punted in January.

Ok. Sound.

56 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Has anybody said Hearts defended in any way acceptable?  Seems like a thread for the sake of it. 

I think even Jong Un Kim knows we've got problems at the back. 

Yes. Robbie Neilson on BBC seemingly. 

Hearts manager Robbie Neilson: "I was proud of the players but massively disappointed with the outcome. Celtic didn't need to work hard for their goals. We defended brilliantly but gave away four slack goals.

I don't know where or when this brilliant defending was evident.

We were, overall, better today but we really are desperate for our defence to be back together again. 

jamboinglasgow
5 minutes ago, Horatio Caine said:

Its a typical thing when people decide a player is awful, when that player has a good game they then exaggerate the weakness he had and minimise what he did well. Rather than say "I think he had a good game, but I still have my doubts" it will be "I guess he was ok at times, but its his fault for all the goals as he should have stopped them."

3 minutes ago, BossmanDaz said:

Yes. Robbie Neilson on BBC seemingly. 

Hearts manager Robbie Neilson: "I was proud of the players but massively disappointed with the outcome. Celtic didn't need to work hard for their goals. We defended brilliantly but gave away four slack goals.

I don't know where or when this brilliant defending was evident.

We were, overall, better today but we really are desperate for our defence to be back together again. 

The same defence will likely start on Thursday. No merit in telling them they are rubbish, imo. 

3 games to get through then the defence is back after the World Cup, Beni will be nearly there too.  

Boyce was walking about without crutches or a boot and his kid on his shoulders.