Defensively Embarrassing

Boris5115

The Goalscoring Knee
7 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

He is pish and will be punted in January.

Not if we've still got injury problems he won't

Edited by The Goalscoring Knee

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stirlo

• Bazzas right boot

• Boris5115

• NB GIN

1 minute ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Its a typical thing when people decide a player is awful, when that player has a good game they then exaggerate the weakness he had and minimise what he did well. Rather than say "I think he had a good game, but I still have my doubts" it will be "I guess he was ok at times, but its his fault for all the goals as he should have stopped them."

100% what I've been saying too. Its cognitive bias around how his performances are framed.

Sinbad the Sailor
1 hour ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

Wasn't addressed in the summer and now costing us every week. 

We didn't know we would have two injured in the summer. So who would have signed knowing that the 2 of them were ahead of them and that Kingsley and Sibbick could play there too?

Just now, davemclaren said:

The same defence will likely start on Thursday. No merit in telling them they are rubbish, imo. 

No merit in kidding on they were brilliant either though, just say you were disappointed with the slackness of the goals conceded but pleased with the overall performance. 

Hopefully we can take some of the more encouraging elements of today into Thursday. Be nice to score and get a win at home in Europe this season! 

14 minutes ago, BossmanDaz said:

Yes. Robbie Neilson on BBC seemingly. 

Hearts manager Robbie Neilson: "I was proud of the players but massively disappointed with the outcome. Celtic didn't need to work hard for their goals. We defended brilliantly but gave away four slack goals.

I don't know where or when this brilliant defending was evident.

We were, overall, better today but we really are desperate for our defence to be back together again. 

Come on, he doesn't count 😆😆

1 minute ago, BossmanDaz said:

No merit in kidding on they were brilliant either though, just say you were disappointed with the slackness of the goals conceded but pleased with the overall performance. 

Hopefully we can take some of the more encouraging elements of today into Thursday. Be nice to score and get a win at home in Europe this season! 

It certainly would. 

I think today perfectly sums up the phrase, 'there's no point scoring 3, if you let in 4.'

As daft as that sounds, it's true, the defence is costing us games, but given the injury list at the minute, unless we can sign a free agent for cover, I honestly don't see what else we can do. I'm not being defeatist, it's being pragmatic. One thing that does need to be worked on in the interim though is defending set pieces, we are absolutely woeful at that. 

The amount of goals conceded from crosses is something else. You could see Celtic and recently Fiorentina testing us over and over again. 

1 hour ago, Der Kaiser said:

I've only seen their winner live today but it looked like the deflection just luckily for them favoured Taylor. 

I cant criticise Smith until I see it again.

Mind we normally just gift those creations 4 or 5 goals without return so ultimately I'm heartened by a pretty patched together Hearts team doing so well

It did.  Could have gone anywhere.  Deflections at three of their goals all went in their favour. 

Hearts manager Robbie Neilson: "I was proud of the players but massively disappointed with the outcome. Celtic didn't need to work hard for their goals. We defended brilliantly but gave away four slack goals.

What a bizarre statement 

16 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

The same defence will likely start on Thursday. No merit in telling them they are rubbish, imo. 

👍 not many psychologists on here though Dave. 😂

18 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

3 games to get through then the defence is back after the World Cup, Beni will be nearly there too.  

Boyce was walking about without crutches or a boot and his kid on his shoulders.

Six to go to the break unfortunately 

10 minutes ago, BossmanDaz said:

What does it matter what he says to the media? The important words are those with the players. 

kingantti1874
2 minutes ago, NB GIN said:

Hearts manager Robbie Neilson: "I was proud of the players but massively disappointed with the outcome. Celtic didn't need to work hard for their goals. We defended brilliantly but gave away four slack goals.

What a bizarre statement 

given we have to rely on these players until Halkett and Rowles back you don’t think he’s maybe just maybe trying to encourage them? 

I’m sure tearing strips of players who are playing out of position due to a chronic injury chrisis would be a better way to deal with it 

4 minutes ago, NB GIN said:

What a bizarre statement 

So we didn't defend brilliantly then Robbie? 

11 minutes ago, NB GIN said:

What a bizarre statement 

Did he really say that. My god that's worrying. 

9 minutes ago, NB GIN said:

Just posted the same oops but yes crazy thing to say 

I don't think what comes out is entirely what he means always. Like a misplaced pass

jamboinglasgow
13 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

What does it matter what he says to the media? The important words are those with the players. 

It still amazes me that people think what the manager says in his post-match is his actual thoughts. Managers tend to praise their players (unless it has been really bad) to the media because it keeps them on side as you are not embarrassing players to the public. Behind closed doors his real thoughts will be made clear to the players. 

2 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

TBF this is one of the times I will say we do miss Halkett. The headed goal from the corner should never get that much room in the box and those marking need to have a good long look at themselves.

The performance today was what we have missed all season and play like this against the rest and we will climb back up the league. Revert to the tippy tappy around the defense and we won't ( unfortunately ) 

Heard it so many time. Sorry but reality is we huff puff and do nothing. Usual Hearts. 

Gordon Ramsay
30 minutes ago, Sinbad the Sailor said:

We didn't know we would have two injured in the summer. So who would have signed knowing that the 2 of them were ahead of them and that Kingsley and Sibbick could play there too?

Sibbicks shite and Kingsley isn't a centre half, not aggressive enough. 

Another centre half should have been signed in the summer, most clubs have at least 3 decent centre backs. We knew we were competing in Europe as well. Not good enough. 

20 minutes ago, NB GIN said:

What a bizarre statement 

😂 “We defended brilliantly but gave away four slack goals.” 😂 so mediocre would give away eight goals mibbee.

Lost the plot.

The Mercer Takeover
9 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Poor recruitment to not have half decent back ups to Rowles and Halkett. 

This is the underlying issue

36 minutes ago, BossmanDaz said:

Hearts manager Robbie Neilson: "I was proud of the players but massively disappointed with the outcome. Celtic didn't need to work hard for their goals. We defended brilliantly but gave away four slack goals. 

from the bbc. 

Malinga the Swinga

See the depressed vermin posters crawling from under their rocks to post the usual shite on here.

Wish they would just **** off back to sisterfister.net and leave here alone.

38 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Six to go to the break unfortunately 

Ahh I meant league games, and have just seen we have a cheeky SevCo game slipped in there mid-week.

50 minutes ago, NB GIN said:

What a bizarre statement 

It's a learning curve. :phface:

26 minutes ago, Disser Pointon said:

What's Andy Thorn doing these days?

Or Kevin James to give us some height there! You really do wonder whether the club could have picked up a journeyman free agent to play in central defence over the last couple of months, as even someone very average but experienced would have probably been preferable to playing people out of position there. The lack of height when defending crosses into the box is so noticeable - and that is one thing that has hardly ever been an issue in years gone by.  

2 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

1. We can't defend crosses properly just now

2. Our two main centre halves are out injured just now

It almost seems like there is some sort of correlation there.............

Even a poor centre half can close down the  space surely

Malinga the Swinga
1 minute ago, jambmoz said:

Even a poor centre half can close down the  space surely

No they can't. That's what makes them poor.

1 hour ago, RedStarRiot said:

All 4 of their goals were shite. They are in the right positions and reacting quicker. 

This,they are to busy ball watching,our defending is brutal. 

1 hour ago, trotter said:

I think today perfectly sums up the phrase, 'there's no point scoring 3, if you let in 4.'

As daft as that sounds, it's true, the defence is costing us games, but given the injury list at the minute, unless we can sign a free agent for cover, I honestly don't see what else we can do. I'm not being defeatist, it's being pragmatic. One thing that does need to be worked on in the interim though is defending set pieces, we are absolutely woeful at that. 

You're right - it's incredibly frustrating watching the team just now, as we can all see what the biggest problem is. The issues do go beyond the central defence - but that is by far the clearest and biggest problem with the team at the moment. I think it's just a case of limping towards the world cup break and then hopefully we'll have a lot of players back when the league restarts just before Christmas.  

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, NB GIN said:

What a bizarre statement 

It's not.

We didn't give much away, but what we do give away is really avoidable. 

He's right, it's really frustrating.

Pretty easy to understand if you're not thick.

1 minute ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

No they can't. That's what makes them poor.

Come on, a Sunday league team wouldn't have given them as much room for  that header!

1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

It did.  Could have gone anywhere.  Deflections at three of their goals all went in their favour. 

All 4 goals conceded are pretty woeful though. Second worst goals against record in the league now. 8 conceded in 2 home games against OF. This can't continue. Teams aren't working hard for their goals against us. 

3 minutes ago, jambmoz said:

Come on, a Sunday league team wouldn't have given them as much room for  that header!

We don’t have anyone willing to attack the ball. Even in the last minute when Gordon lumped it forward, there was nobody within 10 yards of Carter Vickers who easily headed clear.

Nobody even positions themselves in the real danger area, hence Giakoumakis today and the Istanbul player having free headers 6 yards out which is absolutely criminal for a professional team. 

1 hour ago, NB GIN said:

What a bizarre statement 

Yeah, Neilsonn talks shite. 

Brilliant defending doesn't involve slack goals. 

12 minutes ago, jambmoz said:

Agreed, not sure what Snodgrass was thinking. 

18 minutes ago, stirlo said:

Or Kevin James to give us some height there! You really do wonder whether the club could have picked up a journeyman free agent to play in central defence over the last couple of months, as even someone very average but experienced would have probably been preferable to playing people out of position there. The lack of height when defending crosses into the box is so noticeable - and that is one thing that has hardly ever been an issue in years gone by.  

Surely we could have signed an experienced central defender that is proven in our league, like Halkett was. Even the likes of Considine who went to St J on a free would be a huge improvement over what we have right now.

17 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

It's not.

We didn't give much away, but what we do give away is really avoidable. 

He's right, it's really frustrating.

Pretty easy to understand if you're not thick.

Defending brilliantly but conceding 4 slack goals suggests our defending was anything but brilliant today don't you think. Some positives today but sadly our defending wasn't one of them. 

4 minutes ago, amadjambo said:

Surely we could have signed an experienced central defender that is proven in our league, like Halkett was. Even the likes of Considine who went to St J on a free would be a huge improvement over what we have right now.

Ye Considine would have been a good shout. I know we've been unlucky with injuries but the club messed up badly in failing to bring in another defender.

2 hours ago, stirlo said:

It may not be the worst all season - but that's not saying very much given how we've been shipping goals. The bottom line is that every time Celtic ventured into the final third you felt a goal was coming - the goals were all really poor defensively and I stand by my earlier post - if we'd scored 6 they'd have scored 7.

If we'd scored 6 we would have won 6-4 and I stand by that.

Malinga the Swinga

Andy Considine. He was ****ing awful at Aberdeen, is awful at St Johnstone and will be awful until he retires.

Serious shite being thrown here by people who I doubt have been at any Hearts games apart from ones where Hibs were opposition.