Defensively Embarrassing

Boris5115

Whilst today was a much better performance than we all thought.. Defensively that was unacceptable for a professional football team. Whilst we are missing key players in that department if the basics can't be met then you are up against it. Other than that we must take a bit of encouragement from today. 

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stirlo

• Bazzas right boot

• Boris5115

• NB GIN

Ex member of the SaS

TBF this is one of the times I will say we do miss Halkett. The headed goal from the corner should never get that much room in the box and those marking need to have a good long look at themselves.

The performance today was what we have missed all season and play like this against the rest and we will climb back up the league. Revert to the tippy tappy around the defense and we won't ( unfortunately ) 

Just now, Restonbabe said:

What encouragement? Another player injured today. Looked like smith was struggling aswell 

Encouraged bt the fact most of us thought we were on a hiding but we managed to score 3 goals against the best team in the league. 

1 minute ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

The defence is a total mess and is costing us points every week. 

Gordon culpable too for that pathetic save. 

Gordon is stuck to his line these days. Any cross on the 6 yard box he should be coming for. 

I’m sick of our defence. It’s piss poor, every time we brought ourselves back, they basically corrected the score line with more awful decision making. 

Neilson and Savage and their non-recruitment over the summer at fault here IMO. 

Imagine scoring a hatrick and you can’t even celebrate it because you still managed to ****ing lose. 

Bazzas right boot

The defending won't change that much until we get Rowles and /or Halkett back and get smith fit and Cochrane and Kingsley back in their preferred positions.

It's not a surprise and been discussed to death. 

Best defenders out =worse in defence. 

Thankfully most teams won't be the same quality as the OF or those in Europe. 

If we can play well and take our good chances (unlike Aberdeen) we'll pick up wins.

Edited by Bazzas right boot

3 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

TBF this is one of the times I will say we do miss Halkett. The headed goal from the corner should never get that much room in the box and those marking need to have a good long look at themselves.

The performance today was what we have missed all season and play like this against the rest and we will climb back up the league. Revert to the tippy tappy around the defense and we won't ( unfortunately ) 

We miss Halkett every match. Every season he’s been at Hearts he’s had the highest % of won headers in the team. Which is exactly what the players in there can’t do. 

1. We can't defend crosses properly just now

2. Our two main centre halves are out injured just now

It almost seems like there is some sort of correlation there.............

We'll be a completely different defence with Rowles and Halkett back.

It's not ideal having a makeshift setup each week... I can cut them a little slack against Celtic today.

Gordon Ramsay
2 minutes ago, OTT said:

I’m sick of our defence. It’s piss poor, every time we brought ourselves back, they basically corrected the score line with more awful decision making. 

Imagine scoring a hatrick and you can’t even celebrate it because you still managed to ****ing lose. 

Wasn't addressed in the summer and now costing us every week. 

Our defence really lacks aggression, especially without Halkett.

Today our lack of defence was compounded by a poor performance from Gordon. It’s incredibly easy to score against us, Celtic scored four, had two disallowed and missed two incredible chances.

6 minutes ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

I love Gordon but he’s not been at his best lately and has to do better at the 3rd. His kicking seems to be getting worse and we could do with him coming and taking a few crosses to try and take some of the pressure of the defence. 

1 minute ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

Wasn't addressed in the summer and now costing us every week. 

Yup naive and reckless in the extreme. Johnny off the street could have told them we needed a bigger squad. Now we’re just being left ****ing deflated every week. Basically, if a team gives us a game we’re ****ed. 

Ex member of the SaS
Just now, Russ1977 said:

I love Gordon but he’s not been at his best lately and has to do better at the 3rd. His kicking seems to be getting worse and we could do with him coming and taking a few crosses to try and take some of the pressure of the defence. 

This has been Craig's weak point. He never commands his box, great shot stopper but needs to do more in his area. Still the best keeper in Scotland.

Gordon Ramsay
Just now, OTT said:

Yup naive and reckless in the extreme. Johnny off the street could have told them we needed a bigger squad. Now we’re just being left ****ing deflated every week. Basically, if a team gives us a game we’re ****ed. 

Just so easy to score against us.

It's brutal to watch. 

Ex member of the SaS
Just now, OTT said:

This is where I feel Robbie is not the man for the job, It would appear he has kept the squad small to impress the board with the finances. Don't know if we have or not, be we should have been scouring the leagues for a defensive loan and got someone in by now.

We have a makeshift defence that wins nothing in the box. If only we had a goalkeeper that is prepared to step off his line and pick the ball out of the air. I appreciate that criticism of Gordon is not the done thing, but I think he has been very poor this season; it is all very well relying on reflex saves if you have a strong central defence to look after the ball in the air and as for his ball distribution....

Overall far better performance but we may as well have just put the ball in the net for them ourselves on all 4 occasions. Awful 

This applies to both teams.  It was a cracking game that we deserved a point from, let’s not dwell on it and take the positives. 

Last season Gordon saved that defence time and again. God knows how many points he was worth, but that only highlights the fact the defence was not that great then either. It is certainly worse without Halkett, but even when he and Rowles come back some serious coaching is going to have to be done to eradicate all the flaws we have. 

ToadKiller Dog

Mixed bag at times we defended very well ,but awful also to often which caused easy  goals for them.

At crosses clueless and Craig needs a rest ..

King Of The Cat Cafe
8 minutes ago, OTT said:

This.

Got sick of hearing the word "midfielder" attached to so many signings in past couple of windows.  We seem to have a surplus of them and not enough quality defenders.

I posted on here before stats that showed Craig Gordon had faced one of the highest totals of shots of any goalkeeper in the SPL last season.  Yes, his save ratio was excellent: but the number of shots show it, our defence sucks.

16 minutes ago, Boris5115 said:

Encouraged bt the fact most of us thought we were on a hiding but we managed to score 3 goals against the best team in the league. 

This

Unfortunately also have a so-close-and-yet-so-far feel to it.

Wish we played like that every week though

23 minutes ago, Boris5115 said:

Whilst today was a much better performance than we all thought.. Defensively that was unacceptable for a professional football team. Whilst we are missing key players in that department if the basics can't be met then you are up against it. Other than that we must take a bit of encouragement from today. 

It was a shocking defensive display 

Smith looked awful 

Gordon 50/50

sibbick is better in midfield holding role 

It is truly awful. You cant win any game against anyone as proven in last three weeks with this sort of defending. 

It is not just the defence either, the midfield do not track runners and do not sense danger. 

As a collective they dont take up the correct positions. It is really really worrying. 

And Celtic scored two from set pieces today, one ruled out. Both abysmally defended. 

William H. Bonney
17 minutes ago, ramrod said:

The bottom line is Halkett and Rowles are killing us .

Halkett is a big miss. Rowles has only played a few games so bit early to be heavily reliant on him. 

3 minutes ago, Finlay James said:

This applies to both teams.  It was a cracking game that we deserved a point from, let’s not dwell on it and take the positives. 

I disagree. If we'd scored 6 today they'd have scored 7. Celtic were very average but basically scored at will in that game.

Attacking-wise we offered a lot more than previous games, but defensively we're a total shambles and until we sort that out we're really going to struggle. For weeks and weeks people have been talking up the opposition, but the truth is the goals we're giving away would be disappointing against any level of opposition.

We played good today again the best team in the league. 
What I notice there is a big gap between defending midfield and the same gap between midfield and forward. 

Sibbick in front of defence would improve this and get devlin in front of him with Beni when fit would really tighten us up 

Maybe we need only 1 winger ? 

3 minutes ago, stirlo said:

I disagree. If we'd scored 6 today they'd have scored 7. Celtic were very average but basically scored at will in that game.

Attacking-wise we offered a lot more than previous games, but defensively we're a total shambles and until we sort that out we're really going to struggle. For weeks and weeks people have been talking up the opposition, but the truth is the goals we're giving away would be disappointing against any level of opposition.

This is exactly how I feel after todays result. Defend like kids and you are pissing against the wind. 

We pressed well today and it caused Celtic problems but that chaos factor also led to us losing two or three goals. The midfield shape was a shambles defensively allowing Celtic to pick us off way too easily. 

I just despair at the collective defensive effort. 

29 minutes ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

Assist.

9 minutes ago, William H. Bonney said:

Halkett is a big miss. Rowles has only played a few games so bit early to be heavily reliant on him. 

I agree but he’s be straight in the side of for and looked like he was coming on to a game. 

Kio’s mistakes are costing us. 

Jambo in Bathgate
16 minutes ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

Overall far better performance but we may as well have just put the ball in the net for them ourselves on all 4 occasions. Awful 

We did once. 

9 minutes ago, William H. Bonney said:

Even when Halkett and Rowles are back we desperately need another reliable right-sided defender.

Hopefully this can be addressed in the January window, although that’s not the easiest time to recruit.

1 minute ago, Boris5115 said:

This is exactly how I feel after todays result. Defend like kids and you are pissing against the wind. 

Has anybody said Hearts defended in any way acceptable?  Seems like a thread for the sake of it. 

I think even Jong Un Kim knows we've got problems at the back. 

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Kio’s mistakes are costing us. 

Which mistakes exactly? The deflection off his leg today when he was attempting to make a block, as he should have been? What others? 

30 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Not gonna be too critical today against the best team in the country. 

Pretty much this, scoring 3 against them is good going.

Dick Dastardly
25 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

This is where I feel Robbie is not the man for the job, It would appear he has kept the squad small to impress the board with the finances. Don't know if we have or not, be we should have been scouring the leagues for a defensive loan and got someone in by now.

Are we allowed to sign players just now? 

I think you will find I don't start threads for the sake of it. I just think that todays inability to carry out the basics of defending hit an all time low. 

Ex member of the SaS
2 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Are we allowed to sign players just now? 

I thought loans were allowed even out of the window.

Nelly Terraces
2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Which mistakes exactly? The deflection off his leg today when he was attempting to make a block, as he should have been? What others? 

TBF He didn’t make any mistakes as essentially he didn’t get involved in the game whatsoever. He’s as good as being a man down.

Buying this dud is just 1 huge mistake as he is shite.