Robbie!!! ( merged )

Graham Thomson

Fozzyonthefence
1 minute ago, frankblack said:

We could finish 3rd but not with the current lack of depth in the squad and having these distracting European games we clearly aren't ready for.  We need to push through until Christmas and hope we are still in the mix then strengthen properly like we should have done in the summer.

I was optimistic of finishing 3rd but don’t think we will now.  The next 7 games is going to be pivotal as I can’t see us getting many points from these, maybe about 8 or 9 if we’re lucky but we’re relying on Aberdeen not taking too many points in the same spell.  Can’t see us finishing lower than 5 even with the distraction of European games and current injuries. 

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Naisys Tackle

• soonbe110

• BackOfTheNet

• jr ewing

BackOfTheNet
2 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

We never sat of rangers yesterday. 

This "press" and have a go thing needs to stoap. 

It's not an all conquering tactic that will have teams flapping and in awe v us. 

It's just nonsense and irrating. 

We never sat off Rangers yesterday? You being serious? Goldson was allowed the freedom of Tynecastle to pick out quarterback passes all game and take out two thirds of our team as whenever he got the ball our players were nonchalantly walking backwards ball watching to see what he would do.

You might find the chat about pressing (when it’s appropriate, I might add) nonsense and irritating. But I too find people who are completely blind to what’s going on in front of them nonsense and irritating. Seems yourself and Neilson (yesterday at least) have that in common.

BackOfTheNet
3 minutes ago, karipidis said:

I honestly don’t know what game people are watching. In the first half we certainly did not sit off them. We probably should have in hindsight, but the same people would have been moaning if we got a point with a defensive performance. 

Christ all mighty. Watch the first two goals (I’m not considering what happened after the sending off) and tell me how we didn’t sit off.

AC Mallin_51

As bad a result it was yesterday I’m not going to freak out about it. The killie, Aberdeen and County games away from home are the games that will show us where we really are.

however one thing that is bugging the life out of me and has done all season is how unbelievably awful our set pieces are. Surely to god the management can see that? 

1 minute ago, BackOfTheNet said:

We never sat off Rangers yesterday? You being serious? Goldson was allowed the freedom of Tynecastle to pick out quarterback passes all game and take out two thirds of our team as whenever he got the ball our players were nonchalantly walking backwards ball watching to see what he would do.

You might find the chat about pressing (when it’s appropriate, I might add) nonsense and irritating. But I too find people who are completely blind to what’s going on in front of them nonsense and irritating. Seems yourself and Neilson (yesterday at least) have that in common.

I don't think we sat off in the first half.  However, a number of players had terrible first touches and we lacked commitment going into 60-40 challenges, losing almost every one, sometimes when we had 3 men there.  The likes of Barrie McKay was notable for constantly turning into trouble and losing the ball.

Bazzas right boot
Just now, karipidis said:

I honestly don’t know what game people are watching. In the first half we certainly did not sit off them. We probably should have in hindsight, but the same people would have been moaning if we got a point with a defensive performance. 

Yip. 

That poster talked about pressing and then saying the long ball over the top caused us issues. 

You can't make that up. 

Rangers got of to the perfect start due bad defending from us. 

They then scored a cracking 2nd. 

The game was open until then and quite end to end. 

Devlin gets sent off and in the 2nd half we battled well ( actually had a few decent chances - Neilson's header was a great chance). 

We then tired and they picked us off. 

It really doesn't require too much analysis, concede an early goal v the OF and get a player sent off early = humping 

Killie and Aberdeen games are big now. 

Every defeat the same posters want him gone and come up with tactical insights such as press, have a go, believe etc. 

It's utter shite. 

We've now got folk mentioning Mcinnes and Goodwin. 

Too many enjoy us getting beat now, I wish they'd **** of from Tynecastle Tbh. 

Just now, AC Mallin_51 said:

As bad a result it was yesterday I’m not going to freak out about it. The killie, Aberdeen and County games away from home are the games that will show us where we really are.

however one thing that is bugging the life out of me and has done all season is how unbelievably awful our set pieces are. Surely to god the management can see that? 

Agree.

Whenever we win a corner you are resigned to knowing absolutely nothing will come of it.

BackOfTheNet

I’m starting to think people don’t know what sitting off means. It doesn’t mean we don’t attack ourselves, it means we sit off the opposition and let them play. Which is evidenced by the goals conceded and chances they created.

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

Defending them is the biggest issue. 

Neilson should have scored from a corner yesterday and I believe Halliday had a chance from a corner. 

Edited by Bazzas right boot

Just now, BackOfTheNet said:

I’m starting to think people don’t know what sitting off means. It doesn’t mean we don’t attack ourselves, it means we sit off the opposition and let them play. Which is evidenced by the goals conceded and chances they created.

From where I was watching they had so much of the ball because we gave it to them cheaply.

Gordon Ramsay
3 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

For about the first 3 mins of the game we pressed them and then gave up. 

15 minutes ago, karipidis said:

Majority is a complete fabrication. 

That’s why I said ‘I get the feeling’ It was an opinion not a survey. Can’t remember a lot of devastation the last time he walked .

Fozzyonthefence
13 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Yep, the first goal came from exactly that scenario although we defended it abysmally thereafter - a weak header from Neilson and **** knows how his CB partner, Kingsley was the one standing yards in front of where that header landed when he lost the challenge to Kolak (sp?) then Smith too narrow to stop the cross (although that is a tactical thing that Rangers would be well aware of), then a free header in the box.  It was schoolboy stuff.

Edited by Fozzyonthefence

1 hour ago, Bing1874 said:

I don’t see why people are accepting of this stats don’t lie..we have been honking for months now..iv said it god knows how many times..we were lucky to have a Aberdeen team and hibs team that couldn’t string together a run of results 

There has to be a bit of balance though. Robbie overall has done well and achieved expectations. GB is also right that we play over a season and that things can turn around but we have been atrocious most of this season, it hasn't been good enough and we shouldn't accept it.

Ultimately, we can't sack the manager every time we go through a bad spell, he has to be given games to turn it around especially when he's missing our first choice CB's. 

7 minutes ago, frankblack said:

From where I was watching they had so much of the ball because we gave it to them cheaply.

I thought we simply chucked the towel in after the first goal. certainly the second half was nothing more than a damage limitation excercise. There was no real effort to get back into the game. It was a shocking performance from an effort and determination point of view

1 hour ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Europe a burden? Its all we are playing for?  last year and again this year. Ill take that burden anyday.

What we maybe were not expecting is just how dross we are in relation to ECL standard.

That my point. Robbie is making it look like a burden.

Players mentally fatigued after a two month break.

We get 3rd next season and a few weeks in the players mentally fatigued again after another long break the rest of us could only dream off.

Fozzyonthefence
10 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Agree.

Whenever we win a corner you are resigned to knowing absolutely nothing will come of it.

Yep, and when we are defending one is anyone really confident we will deal with it?

We gave Neilson a new contract when we didn’t have to…..we should have waited to see how this season panned out and made our decision.

This season is going to show how well he can handle the pressure of more games….and games at a higher level. A level we insist we want to play at.

At the moment Neilson isn’t handling it. 

We should have kept our options open…..we didn’t and it’s going to cost us an awful lot of money imo.

1 minute ago, DH1986 said:

We gave Neilson a new contract when we didn’t have to…..we should have waited to see how this season panned out and made our decision.

This season is going to show how well he can handle the pressure of more games….and games at a higher level. A level we insist we want to play at.

We should have kept our options open…..we didn’t and it’s going to cost us an awful lot of money imo.

Yep.  I think we should have gone out and brought in Jack Ross. 👍

12 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Aye.  It was quite noticeable that Rangers tried to run Neilson under the ball as it was pumped into Smith’s corner.  

Shankland seemed to be the only one early on doing the doggies between defenders to try and unsettle them while picking up any slips(which he did because of his willingness and being proactive). 2 or 3 of his more advanced team mates never really read the situation or gave the same endeavour in that respect. 

Just now, DH1986 said:

I don't think you can say he can't handle the pressure when he's admitted plenty of times that he's always under pressure as Hearts manager, he knows the expectations and he'll know himself this isn't good enough. 

Naisys Tackle
1 hour ago, Shanks said:

Would anyone really be that bothered if he ran away to an MKdons again?

MK Dons fans. 

9 minutes ago, Australis said:

We get 3rd next season and a few weeks in the players mentally fatigued again after another long break the rest of us could only dream off.

Nah apparently we are going to do a better job in next summers transfer window. Quality over quantity. :vrface:

2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Yep.  I think we should have gone out and brought in Jack Ross. 👍

I don’t.

The world is a big place and with some good old fashioned research and digging about I’m sure we’d find there is a better manager for us than the guy we currently have.

Celtic plucked out a guy from Japanese football….someone very few on here will have heard of….and he’s been a revelation for them.

We want to search every part of the globe for better players yet won’t look any further than the end of our nose for a manager.

9 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I don't think you can say he can't handle the pressure when he's admitted plenty of times that he's always under pressure as Hearts manager, he knows the expectations and he'll know himself this isn't good enough. 

He isn’t handing the pressure.

He’s making too many costly mistakes in player recruitment, team selection and tactics.

6 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

So far this season we've had what I would consider 5 games against better opposition (3 in Europe and 2 in the League). We've lost the lot scoring a grand total of 1 goal (in Zurich) and conceded 13. Additionally we've had 3 other 'big games', blew the derby totally (when Neilson reverted to type and had us sit back the last 20 minutes), which hasn't helped the league position right now, got a hardworking win in Riga and produced an utterly garbage performance in the League Cup. In those 8 matches we scored 4 goals, FOUR!!!! Everyone has been banging on about the defence being poor and whilst it has been at least we have players to come back in key positions there, guys we know will improve us. Up front we are noting short of dismal, Shankland should have been the 2nd or 3rd of our strikers signed not our main and only front man. No young strikers, no replacement for Simms, no replacement for Boyce, just absolutely abysmal planning and complete ineptitude at bringing in what was required. 

This month is going to test him like never before as Hearts manager, it's going to be very interesting to see how he comes through it.

2 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

I don’t.

The world is a big place and with some good old fashioned research and digging about I’m sure we’d find there is a better manager for us than the guy we currently have.

Celtic plucked out a guy from Japanese football….someone very few on here will have heard of….and he’s been a revelation for them.

We want to search every part of the globe for better players yet won’t look any further than the end of our nose for a manager.

Celtic picked a well-respected Aussie international coach who had a decent record in Japan.  The likes of him are well out of our league.

The facts are we can't go out and buy guaranteed success because the obvious candidates will go to clubs with far bigger budgets like in the English Championship.  Likewise if we found a hidden gem those same clubs in England will head hunt him after a year or two and we are back to square one, and highly unlikely to get lucky again with the replacement.

Managers and people outside Scotland have a very low opinion of Scottish football outside of the top two, perhaps justifiably, and won't come here without serious cash.

2 hours ago, 4marsbars said:

We nearly pulled it off in the cup final. It's nearly a year since Rangers lost to any Scottish team except Celtic.

There's a massive gulf between the OF and the rest, as yesterday showed, yet again  People on this thread say Robbie's taken  us as far as he can. To go further means overtaking one of the gruesome twosome. I can't think of any manager capable of achieving that.

Robbie's taken us as far as any manager could, and that's no mean achievement. We should get behind him, as most of u

Nearly pulled it off in the cup final?

Need to have shots on target to win games we had none.

He got it wrong in the cup final we were lucky it wasn't over by the hour mark.

Fozzyonthefence

So, when the time comes do we push the boat out a wee bit for a George Burley type appointment or do we go down the Cathro or Neilson (1st spell) rookie manager route?  The latter is clearly a very risky strategy.   

We’ve also tried the foreign manager with variable success (can argue that Ivanauskis and Sergio at least won cups and qualified for Champions League).  I personally wouldn’t rule that out again.  

Malinga the Swinga
2 hours ago, Bing1874 said:

All him and joe needed to do was sign players to finish 3rd in the league again which in turn gets us Europe again and more money more money better players to pull a gap from the rest and cement us as the 3rd best in Scotland 

Before you start complaining, might be best if you have a clue what your talking about. 3rd in league doesn't guarantee European group stage football next year. It didn't last year either.

Winning the cup guarantees group stage football. Third will do if cup winners also win league or are second in league.

6 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

So, when the time comes do we push the boat out a wee bit for a George Burley type appointment or do we go down the Cathro or Neilson (1st spell) rookie manager route?  The latter is clearly a very risky strategy.   

We’ve also tried the foreign manager with variable success (can argue that Ivanauskis and Sergio at least won cups and qualified for Champions League).  I personally wouldn’t rule that out again.  

The way those that run the club act and think it's far more likely to be Naismith than something ambitious like looking abroad. 

1 minute ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Before you start complaining, might be best if you have a clue what your talking about. 3rd in league doesn't guarantee European group stage football next year. It didn't last year either.

Winning the cup guarantees group stage football. Third will do if cup winners also win league or are second in league.

You are correct. 3rd will guarantee group stage football therefore. Not a chance in hell the Old Firm don't win all 3 trophies this season and probably for the foreseeable. 

Malinga the Swinga
1 minute ago, Luckies1874 said:

You are correct. 3rd will guarantee group stage football therefore. Not a chance in hell the Old Firm don't win all 3 trophies this season and probably for the foreseeable. 

Didn't happen 2 seasons ago, might not happen this season.

That's football 

33 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

He isn’t handing the pressure.

He’s making too many costly mistakes in player recruitment, team selection and tactics.

You could argue that players have made too many costly mistakes, Grant v Zurich, Devlin yesterday. 🤷🏻‍♂️

As for player recruitment, we know fine and well that isn't all Robbie, it's mostly Savage. Personally I think he made a mistake with Shankland, I think we could have done a lot better money wise. 

1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

🤷🏻‍♂️I think he made a mistake with Shankland, I think we could have done a lot better money wise. 

Obvious question alert....

Who would you have preferred instead?

Fozzyonthefence
5 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

You could argue that players have made too many costly mistakes, Grant v Zurich, Devlin yesterday. 🤷🏻‍♂️

As for player recruitment, we know fine and well that isn't all Robbie, it's mostly Savage. Personally I think he made a mistake with Shankland, I think we could have done a lot better money wise. 

At the recent shareholders meeting Savage confirmed that Robbie had the final say on player recruitment, not Savage. 

2 minutes ago, spacerjoe said:

You can't really give a name to that question because there's literally thousands of strikers in the world but what I would say - someone that offers much more to the team. Someone with pace & good movement that can work a backline, that can hold it up, link play, more similar to Simms probably. Shankland imo is a good penalty box striker and finisher, loads of guys like that at a lower level but he's not a patch on what Boyce offers the team in his all round play. The ball doesn't stick upfront with Shankland, he doesn't get us up the park, it comes back far too quickly and it puts us under pressure. 

11 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

The likes of Shankland and Forrest should have been the squad players we signed not the guys who are allegedly to make the starting 11 better. The quality over quantity mantra looks really silly right now. 

Bazzas right boot
11 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

100% incorrect in regards t transfers. 

Bob has the final say. 

5 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

At the recent shareholders meeting Savage confirmed that Robbie had the final say on player recruitment, not Savage. 

We know this. That's not even the point. The point is Robbie could have wanted another one or two strikers and Savage failed to land them. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Just now, Luckies1874 said:

The likes of Shankland and Forrest should have been the squad players we signed not the guys who are allegedly to make the starting 11 better. The quality over quantity mantra looks really silly right now. 

I'd agree on those two certainly.

1 minute ago, Bazzas right boot said:

100% incorrect in regards t transfers. 

Bob has the final say. 

Read below. 

Just now, Cruyff said:

We know this. That's not even the point. The point is Robbie could have wanted another one or two strikers and Savage failed to land them. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Fozzyonthefence
3 minutes ago, spacerjoe said:

Obvious answer - who was available, affordable and wanted to come?  You got a list?

We employ and pay people good money to source players from the world market these days.  We’ve brought in 3 Aussies who probably none of our fans had heard of and are now all internationalists.  Two of them look like being very good signings and maybe too early to write the third one off.  

Shankland is clearly a downgrade on Simms but it seems there’s not much we can have done about the Simms situation.  But same as it’s not down to fans to come up with names for manager recruitment the same applies with players - there’s a huge worldwide market out there and your average fan doesn’t have the knowledge of that.  Just look at the number of players we’ve brought in over the last few years that nobody has heard of - some good, some depressingly shite.

Bazzas right boot
26 minutes ago, mellors1874 said:

Nearly pulled it off in the cup final?

Need to have shots on target to win games we had none.

He got it wrong in the cup final we were lucky it wasn't over by the hour mark.

Et and a pk defeat, without winning it that is the closest you can get. 

Rangers were lucky Simms hit the post with an open goal and we weren't defending a 1-0 lead. 

15 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Didn't happen 2 seasons ago, might not happen this season.

That's football 

They've won 10 of the last 12 between them (the ridiculous anomaly being St Johnstone winning the other 2 during Covid) and as a duo they are stronger now than they have been for a long time. This is even worse news for the rest because as we saw in May the desperation is even more evident when the other has won the league. The gulf is huge. None of the rest will win anything for the foreseeable Maning 3rd is absolutely vital.

Fozzyonthefence
2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Yes and we know they were trying to bring in other players and failed.  Snodgrass and Humphrys were desperation signings but promising signs for Humphrys but I’m afraid Snodgrass looks like he’s towing a caravan (unfortunately not the only one in our squad!).

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I seen us press them in their own box and as you pointed out they went long and we struggled with the long ball. 

We were imo too high up if anything. 

I really don't know what you watch Tbh. 

15 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Neilson isn’t going anywhere. This loss will not change our overall position as a club in Scotland or Europe, and that for many (including the board) is the main thing. Calling for the sack after getting beat by Rangers is an odd thing anyway.

But people have every right to be annoyed about how the side is tactically set up. I’ll never get people having personal stubborn views on players or managers that make them seethe. But where criticism is rightly due, it’s due.

Here’s some tactical gripes I recall from today’s game alone, and have been reminded of from watching the highlights (and I’m only including pre-sending off here):

▪️No one left up when defending a corner - McKay or Forrest will be doing nothing to help us defend a corner in our own box, at least one of them should be at the half way line in case (as happened) we clear, so that the ball doesn’t just come straight back at us for no reason

▪️Throw-ins - we always let the full/wing back take the throw in when a quicker throw would be more beneficial, all we do is let the other team organise themselves

▪️Pressing in big games - before anyone starts, I’m not saying we should be Man City or Liverpool here, but pressing and harrying defenders (against the OF in particular) is crucial. They need to be unsettled and have no time to think. All we did was sit off them.

▪️Sitting off - carrying on from the last point, this is clear as day a tactical choice, the players have been told to sit off and let Rangers come at us, most likely so we can counter quickly.

▪️1st goal - carrying on from the last two points, we have Gouldson taking all the time in the world to pick a pass and he just kicks it over the entire midfield taking our attack and midfield out of the game with one pass, they win the 2nd ball as they have crowded our defensive third and the ball gets played out to Kent (who Smith sits off) who has all the time in the world to pick out a cross for Colak’s header

▪️Ball watching - linked into the sitting off, too often in games this season and towards end of last we do not play to touch but zonally and are guilty of ball watching. Oddly, Sibbick is the only one people call out on this, when in fact Kingsley is probably the worst culprit. Combination of no pressure, sitting off and ball watching gave Rangers a goal they didn’t have to even earn. But not just the goal, watch all their chances, players running back watching the ball be played to one Rangers player after another without challenge and Rangers players making runs yards away from any of our defenders who should really be tracking where they are.

▪️Horses for courses - Barrie McKay is arguably our best player, but in big games he may as well not even have started. I genuinely think he needs to be on the bench for those games. Someone like Grant instead of him behind Shankland today, or even put Humphrys in behind and have Ginnelly out on the wing would have potentially given their defence more to worry about. (Saying that, wouldn’t matter who it is if they get told to stand off) McKay gets marked out of the big games too easily and as much as we may like his sexy, silky runs sometimes, he’s never up to the pace of a big game. Ever.

▪️2nd goal - played along the back in fairness with a tiny bit of jogging pressure this time on Goldson and Lundstram. Lundstram though then has time to - again - bypass our attack and midfield with one pass to Motondo who Cochrane sits off and he runs forward and plays a ball to Colak (who made a good run, but clearly we were not aware of his run due to - again- ball watching and zonal marking)

Add into all that individual mistakes (which you cannot blame on tactics) and we are a beating waiting to happen.

Today, we genuinely would have been better off not turning up and just forfeiting. We’d at least only have a 0-3 loss on record instead of a 0-4 and we wouldn’t have Devlin suspended now. This isn’t a long Neilson out post. Just a list of obvious to anyone with eyes observations of our tactics.

This post is why some people should not have access to the internet. Jesus ****ing Christ…. 

Try “had a bad day” instead of half arsed guessing and non-objective commentary. Fans be fans eh 🙈🤣 

The only bit im going to particularly pull out is “all we did is sit off” that comment itself says how little you actually know or maybe want to remember from the game yesterday. 

This place is hilarious sometimes. Enjoy your day and lets hope we bounce back on Thursday or this place may combust

Fozzyonthefence
7 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

You can't really give a name to that question because there's literally thousands of strikers in the world but what I would say - someone that offers much more to the team. Someone with pace & good movement that can work a backline, that can hold it up, link play, more similar to Simms probably. Shankland imo is a good penalty box striker and finisher, loads of guys like that at a lower level but he's not a patch on what Boyce offers the team in his all round play. The ball doesn't stick upfront with Shankland, he doesn't get us up the park, it comes back far too quickly and it puts us under pressure. 

Beat me to it.