Ukraine v Scotland - match thread (merged)

Sooperstar

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Naisys Tackle

• Hearts007

• briever

• Luckies1874

colinmorewasgash

Porteous and majority off that team dont start for club sides. What a joke clarke Is.

Edited by colinmorewasgash

4 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Hanley :facepalm:

Porteous :facepalm:

Mackay over Armstrong all the time. 

Which Scottish centre backs would you have picked?

No way McKay gets picked ahead of an EPL player.

Some rotters in that line up

Don't know much about him admittedly but j.brown keeps getting selected despite doing diddly squat

Porteous is laughable, we really are desperate 

Malinga the Swinga

To be honest, Clarke can pick whoever he wants. We will just end up bottling it whenever we play half decent side. 

Less Hearts players allows me to become disinterested in the whole Nations league, especially as we are stuck on some pushy obscure channel that costs additional to watch.

16 minutes ago, Boyces beard said:

Ryan Porteous WTF is Clarke watching that the rest of us can't see, he has been honking this season. 🤣

I'm done.  Honestly, Clarke has chucked it. 

I've no idea why he gets such an easy ride compared to previous Scotland managers, the guy has failed over and again and if he looks at Porteous and thinks in any way he deserves to even play for an SPFL Prem team let alone be in a Scotland squad, I'm close to final straw with the guy.  Outrageous decision.  Genuinely staggering.  I don't care who is injured (we know Souttar and Halkett would be in there, take it Cooper is injured?  Still, I'd rather we brought someone up from the u21s for experience than have this unprofessional joke of a player anywhere near the squad.

McKay should be in there.  Not sure who drops out looking at the squad tbf but he deserves a call up.

I don't know why... it must be a subconscious thing, but my interest in the national squad is almost zero. I think it was around the time we were demoted (though what that has to do with Scotland I don't know)... couldn't give a monkeys. Especially when I'm seeing Porteous as part of the squad 😲🤣🤣🤣 The further Hearts players are away from Clarkes squad, the better - we've enough injuries to contend with.

jamboinglasgow
8 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

I've no idea why he gets such an easy ride compared to previous Scotland managers, the guy has failed over and again and if he looks at Porteous and thinks in any way he deserves to even play for an SPFL Prem team let alone be in a Scotland squad, I'm close to final straw with the guy.  Outrageous decision.  Genuinely staggering.  I don't care who is injured (we know Souttar and Halkett would be in there, take it Cooper is injured?  Still, I'd rather we brought someone up from the u21s for experience than have this unprofessional joke of a player anywhere near the squad.

McKay should be in there.  Not sure who drops out looking at the squad tbf but he deserves a call up.

Think part of the problem is Clarke (and this is common for international managers) sticks with what he knows, he has picked Porteous before so he goes with him. But thought maybe throw another centre back in there, like Dominic Hyam, who signed for Blackburn Rovers at the end of the window for £1.5m and is 26. He has plenty of Championship experience and one of the reasons his new manager wanted him is that he had experience of playing both in a back three and a back four (what Scotland do.) 

3 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

There’s absolutely no bias here when I say Porteous over Steven Kingsley is a wind up. 

Kingsley is the only Scottish player that is a like for like deputy to Tierney (who is forever injured)

6 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

There’s absolutely no bias here when I say Porteous over Steven Kingsley is a wind up. 

Added to the fact Kingsley is a goal threat from free kicks (taking and in the air) and corners.

Just now, jamboinglasgow said:

Think part of the problem is Clarke (and this is common for international managers) sticks with what he knows, he has picked Porteous before so he goes with him. But thought maybe throw another centre back in there, like Dominic Hyam, who signed for Blackburn Rovers at the end of the window for £1.5m and is 26. He has plenty of Championship experience and one of the reasons his new manager wanted him is that he had experience of playing both in a back three and a back four (what Scotland do.) 

Yup.  Or do we have an elite 18/19 yearold we have high hopes for?  I mean you'd hope Porteous makes it nowhere near the pitch, so is someone with a bright future not as well getting the experience?

11 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Effin jahova.  I hadn't even thought about this.  I've gone from angry to apoplectic and I don't even know how to spell that!!!!!!  Gggggrrrrrrr.

I was massive TA, home and away but for about 5 years I've kind of fallen away - not even a game a year now and sometimes don't even watch on telly.  As I say, the love Clarke gets is unfathomable to me.  He got us to a major tournament.  We sneaked in the bloody back door - look at the actual results we've had the last few years - the guy is a failure.

I actually think our performance at the Euros was a big disheartener for me.  I thought we were pretty disgraceful and it wasn't the lads' fault, it was the coach, I'm 100% certain on that.  Sent us out with failure in mind frankly.

Pissed off cos I care

12 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Kingsley is the only Scottish player that is a like for like deputy to Tierney (who is forever injured)

...also with Robertson missing!?!? Absolutely unfathomable.

3 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Effin jahova.  I hadn't even thought about this.  I've gone from angry to apoplectic and I don't even know how to spell that!!!!!!  Gggggrrrrrrr.

I was massive TA, home and away but for about 5 years I've kind of fallen away - not even a game a year now and sometimes don't even watch on telly.  As I say, the love Clarke gets is unfathomable to me.  He got us to a major tournament.  We sneaked in the bloody back door - look at the actual results we've had the last few years - the guy is a failure.

I actually think our performance at the Euros was a big disheartener for me.  I thought we were pretty disgraceful and it wasn't the lads' fault, it was the coach, I'm 100% certain on that.  Sent us out with failure in mind frankly.

Pissed off cos I care

Know how you feel bud! Some of his picks, man, just unbelievable.

18 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Pissed off cos I care

That's what did it for me. I was reeled in with the qualification and thought finally we could do ourselves proud. It was insipid in the end and bizarre selections.

2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

That's what did it for me. I was reeled in with the qualification and thought finally we could do ourselves proud. It was insipid in the end and bizarre selections.

The Czech game was a punch to the guts.  He shat it, pure and simple

England, did well but that was pure adrenalin (and proof that Mcgregor and Gilmour should have played the previous game.

Prove me wrong, please do, but for me he's a total bottle merchant.  Best group of players we've had in years and he just gets it wrong over and over and over.

Had a formula with one up top and Christie and McGinn just off him playing on the front foot and then when games got tougher he binned it and hasn't gone back to it.  McGinn playing CM at international football doesn't work.  he can be a refreshing and useful player in that setting (I like him) but needs waaaaaay less responsibility, and if Clarke can't see that, there's little hope

The Kingsley situation is a god send tbh, he should 100% be in that squad but with him just returning from injury I'm delighted he has been overlooked. Ability wise you can't pick Ryan Porteous before Stephen Kingsley 🤣

40 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

I can understand Kingsley not being in as he is just back from injury

The fact of the matter is that we have no decent CDs and while Kingsley does well enough in our defence he aint no international defender.

Our best CD pairing, (with Souttar on the sidelines), is probably Hanley and McKenna even if both are about as slow as a week in jail.  There are no up and coming young CDs and, like it or not, Porteous is no worse than other possibilities

1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

He hasn’t failed over and over again, though. He got Scotland to a major finals (yes, via a Nations League playoff. So what? It’s a lot harder to qualify than it used to be, and we qualified via a playoff in 1986). Then he recovered from a poor start to secure second place in our WC group and a home SF. That’s better form than most recent managers.

Yes, there have also been kicks in the teeth. We didn’t play well at the Euros (though I largely blame Marshall for the first game). We threw away our last Nations League group at the death. And we didn’t turn up v Ukraine. But nonetheless, Clarke’s record is still better than anyone’s since Craig Brown.

Having said that, some of his picks here are awful. Porteous?

2 hours ago, colinmorewasgash said:

Porteous and majority off that team dont start for club sides. What a joke clarke Is.

Easy money to be made here proteus to be sent off if he plays foreign refs won’t stand for his antics

12 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

He hasn’t failed over and over again, though. He got Scotland to a major finals (yes, via a Nations League playoff. So what? It’s a lot harder to qualify than it used to be, and we qualified via a playoff in 1986). Then he recovered from a poor start to secure second place in our WC group and a home SF. That’s better form than most recent managers.

Yes, there have also been kicks in the teeth. We didn’t play well at the Euros (though I largely blame Marshall for the first game). We threw away our last Nations League group at the death. And we didn’t turn up v Ukraine. But nonetheless, Clarke’s record is still better than anyone’s since Craig Brown.

He has also called up Lewis Stevenson, Paul McGinn and Paul Hanlon over the last few years!!! i mean.....come on 🤦‍♂️

9 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

But mate he keeps shitting it.  That Ukraine game was torture.  Our Euro performance was woeful (bit of Braveheart against England aside!).  Pumped by a poor Ireland team, pumped by Ukraine, constantly struggling by Israel.  Of course we've no right to beat these teams but Clarke has been average at very very best and we very often just don't turn up, basically hangstrung by the team he puts on the park and his insistance on being solid without the players to pull it off.

As I say, big Scotland fan, but I'm actually MORE fedup with our failure than I was before the Euros.  Wales at the WC doesn't help.  We have better players than Wales and both Ireland teams.  They're better than us though.

Portable Badger

The mere fact that he has now selected Porteous twice for the squad has led me to have no confidence in Steve Clarke.  The first occasion I can accept as a genuine mistake on his part but having surely seen the lad's performances and behaviour in the intervening months and yet select him again is a step too far for me. 

jamboinglasgow
1 minute ago, TheBigO said:

Yup.  Or do we have an elite 18/19 yearold we have high hopes for?  I mean you'd hope Porteous makes it nowhere near the pitch, so is someone with a bright future not as well getting the experience?

I would say that we do have quite a few promising CBs at the moment for Scotland, though not sure if its too early.

I think people would groan and call it SFA favouritism if he was put in the senior team but Leon King of Rangers really impresses me when I see him. Obviously we have high hopes for Lewis Neilson. Jamie Hamilton always looks promising but he needs to get up to speed having only just re-signed for Hamilton. 

Other promising young centre backs are Liam Morrison who plays for Bayern Munch II (but is injured at the moment.) There are few around EPL academies or U23 teams such as Ibane Bowat and Conor McAvoy. Leeds have a promising young Scot called Jeremiah Chilokoa-Mullen, there is Kerr Smith at Aston Villa (after a few first team games at Dundee United.) Newcastle United signed Charlie MacArthur from Kilmarnock in the summer. Man Utd have a couple in Jack Kingdom and Louie Jackson.

So there is plenty of promising players at different stages, probably missed a few. 

Just now, Cruyff said:

Porteous isn't good enough for Hibs nevermind Scotland. 

That's my point.  Nowt to do with him being Hibs.  He's an embarassment to THEM and that ain't easy!  It's baffling.  I'm baffled.

Porteous is the shocker. The rest I don't blame Clarke too much as the options were limited.

As much as I love Barrie Mackay, I don't think he's delivered enough to make the Scotland squad yet.

2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

The fact of the matter is that we have no decent CDs and while Kingsley does well enough in our defence he aint no international defender.

Our best CD pairing, (with Souttar on the sidelines), is probably Hanley and McKenna even if both are about as slow as a week in jail.  There are no up and coming young CDs and, like it or not, Porteous is no worse than other possibilities

Yes. Yes he is. He is an awful player who had 1 decent season in terms of being a raw youngster. Ability wise he is absolutely hopeless. Just ask any honest fan and they’ll say Rocky is a better player ffs 🤣

In saying that, I’m delighted Kingsley and McKay keep on being overlooked. 

2 hours ago, Ribble said:

Yep. Both can play on the left of centre Back and play out wide. Kingsley might not be as good but is able back up imo.  IMO the first choice left back to replace Robertson is Hickey. He has been in top form but out at right back. He is better than Nathan Patterson at RB imo. 

1 hour ago, Portable Badger said:

The mere fact that he has now selected Porteous twice for the squad has led me to have no confidence in Steve Clarke.  The first occasion I can accept as a genuine mistake on his part but having surely seen the lad's performances and behaviour in the intervening months and yet select him again is a step too far for me. 

Isn't Rod Petrie his boss at the SFA?  Maybe keeping him happy.

Even H1b5 fans think Porto is keek and should be dropped from the H1b5 team. Astonishing decision by Clarke.

2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

And Porteous is an international defender 😂

Good one 😂

I seem to remember, when asked about certain players being omitted from some of his earlier squads, he stated that he "only picked players who were playing regularly and were on form" 

I wonder why he has abandoned that idea 

Apart from Gordon not one player in our squad is international class. Looking at the dross in the weegie weazels latest squad however I have to question what international class even is.

I often read and hear of our youngsters getting called up to Scotland youth squads and scratch my head. For the best part of 15 years we have been producing nothing but Scottish Championship level players. The couple of years we helped develop Paterson and Hickey aside.

1 minute ago, i8hibsh said:

Apart from Gordon not one player in our squad is international class. Looking at the dross in the weegie weazels latest squad however I have to question what international class even is.

I often read and hear of our youngsters getting called up to Scotland youth squads and scratch my head. For the best part of 15 years we have been producing nothing but Scottish Championship level players. The couple of years we helped develop Paterson and Hickey aside.

You think Porteous deserves a call up ahead of Kingsley then ? 😂😂😂

3 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

You think Porteous deserves a call up ahead of Kingsley then ? 😂😂😂

How can you read that from my post?

1 hour ago, GBJambo said:

And Porteous is an international defender 😂

Good one 😂

Did I actually say that?

My point was that we (Scotland) have no CDs and he is no worse than the rest of the contenders.

Just because he plays for Hubs.......

1 hour ago, DS98 said:

Yes. Yes he is. He is an awful player who had 1 decent season in terms of being a raw youngster. Ability wise he is absolutely hopeless. Just ask any honest fan and they’ll say Rocky is a better player ffs 🤣

In saying that, I’m delighted Kingsley and McKay keep on being overlooked. 

Maybe we should pick Rocky then ffs.

Oh wait.....

• davemclaren changed the title to Ukraine v Scotland - match thread (merged)