Ukraine v Scotland - match thread (merged)

Sooperstar

I think McKay has earned a call up. Unfortunately we play that daft 5-3-1-1 thing to shoehorn Tierney & Robertson into the side so he's not really got a role in there. 

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Naisys Tackle

• Hearts007

• briever

• Luckies1874

4 hours ago, milky_26 said:

I can understand Kingsley not being in as he is just back from injury

I’m delighted he’s not, but as others have said a left sided centre back who scores goals who is fit and he’s not picked.

40 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I think McKay has earned a call up. Unfortunately we play that daft 5-3-1-1 thing to shoehorn Tierney & Robertson into the side so he's not really got a role in there. 

When Tierney isn't available, he's still played this system.  Ridiculous behaviour

2 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Yep. Both can play on the left of centre Back and play out wide. Kingsley might not be as good but is able back up imo.  IMO the first choice left back to replace Robertson is Hickey. He has been in top form but out at right back. He is better than Nathan Patterson at RB imo. 

Correct, can't think of any other scottish left sided CB that plays as a pair with their LWB 

2 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Absolutely no excuse for calling up Ryan Porteous. He's been worse than shite. 

Clarke needs sacked. 

Who else is there to replace Clarke however? 

Scottish defence should be, with or without injuries and played to Clarkes preferred system, what ever strongest combination is available. (Best to last)

LWB - Robertson/Hickey/Ralston

LCB - Tierney/Kingley

CB - McKenna/Halkett

RCB - Soutar/Hendry 

RWB - Hickey/Patterson/Ralston

Hanley or Porteous shouldn’t be anywhere near the international stage imo. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

joondalupjambo

Porteus is a big daft laddie and I think Clarke has him in the squad to try and help him wise up with the thought if he matures then longer term he may do a job.  Other than that I cannot think of any sane reason why he would be near the squad.  

15 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Scottish defence should be, with or without injuries and played to Clarkes preferred system, what ever strongest combination is available. (Best to last)

LCB - Tierney/Kingley

CB - McKenna/Halkett

RCB - Soutar/Hendry 

Totally agree.  In all the justified outrage about Porky, Hanley has escaped unscathed.  Was it Armenia we played recently?  He was shown up that day.  Should be told his services are no longer required.

1 hour ago, Ribble said:

Correct, can't think of any other scottish left sided CB that plays as a pair with their LWB 

There aren’t any. Which even some journos cottoned onto, questioning why Kingsley wasn’t in the squad for the last Ukraine game. If he played four at the back it would be understandable but Clarke’s rigid in his system which makes it totally baffling given Tierney’s injury history. 

Bazzas right boot

McKay should be in even if from the bench. 

We have no one of his ilk in the team and although lightweight his intelligence and awareness is something no one else has. 

He really could make a difference. 

Porteous........ 

37 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

LCB - Tierney/Kingley

CB - McKenna/Halkett

RCB - Soutar/Hendry 

liam lindsay has been part of a preston team who have conceded 1 in the league this season

murray wallace at millwall

both are options that are better than the glass thrower

6 hours ago, Rudy T said:

There’s absolutely no bias here when I say Porteous over Steven Kingsley is a wind up. 

Kingsley and Halkett have been injured and we have loads of games.  I'm sure the National boss speaks to all the club managers before naming his squads.  People need to settle down. 

6 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

McKay should be in even if from the bench. 

We have no one of his ilk in the team and although lightweight his intelligence and awareness is something no one else has. 

He really could make a difference. 

Porteous........ 

Who would you remove from the squad to include McKay?  Perhaps he needs to show up in a few more bigger games for us before getting called up. 

Halkett and Kingsley have been injured. And McKay and Shankland haven't produced the goods this season,  to be called into the Scotland squad.

Bazzas right boot
35 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Who would you remove from the squad to include McKay?  Perhaps he needs to show up in a few more bigger games for us before getting called up. 

Jacob Brown or McLean. 

Ex member of the SaS

As a strongly patriotic Scot I have had little to no interest in the National team. When OF players get selected simply because of who they play for regardless of how well /poorly they are playing, it's time to give it a rest. We have had, and do have, better players than the ones he has picked, now and in the past. Put it simply I prefer our players not to be picked, as I want them fit for our team, but fully understand how much players want to be picked as it increases their stock. Why the media think he is the dogs danglies I will never know.

Bazzas right boot
22 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Browns a Centre forward and McLeans a central midfielder? 

Yip, and we have 2 strikers .

We also have a number of midfielders. 

2 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Who else is there to replace Clarke however? 

I honestly don't care. 

He's lost his marbles with that decision. 

Last thing we need is someone getting injured so happy to have as few players as possible.  

Are these games that important or are we already fookered out the group?

59 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Yip, and we have 2 strikers .

We also have a number of midfielders. 

Fair enough.

Both they players are better than McKay though McLean especially.  McKays time will hopefully come soon but he's already playing a ton of games over the period and needs to bring his A game to big games. 

16 minutes ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Last thing we need is someone getting injured so happy to have as few players as possible.  

Are these games that important or are we already fookered out the group?

Nations League. 

2 hours ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Kingsley and Halkett have been injured and we have loads of games.  I'm sure the National boss speaks to all the club managers before naming his squads.  People need to settle down. 

Not a chance they were getting picked and Neilson said no.

2 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Not a chance they were getting picked and Neilson said no.

Halkett has been out anyway so wouldn't be in.  Surprised Kingsleys not near the squad though but he's been injured on and off and has plenty games coming up so there's every chance thats the reason he's not involved. 

Edited by Robbies Tackle

4 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Kingsley has been out anyway so wouldn't be in.  Surprised Kingsleys not near the squad though but he's been injured on and off and has plenty games coming up so there's every chance thats the reason he's not involved. 

I guess we’ll never know, my hope is Porteous plays and we can finally put this myth that he’s a multi million pound defender firmly to bed!

12 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

I guess we’ll never know, my hope is Porteous plays and we can finally put this myth that he’s a multi million pound defender firmly to bed!

I think we all know he's ****ing crap. Saying that I thought Doig was pap too but a move away and he's doing well in Italy. 

3 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

Porteus is a big daft laddie and I think Clarke has him in the squad to try and help him wise up with the thought if he matures then longer term he may do a job.  Other than that I cannot think of any sane reason why he would be near the squad.  

He’s not a daft big laddie though. How long will we hear that excuse? He’s 23 now and been a regular footballer in one of the countries bigger clubs for a decent time now. 

part_time_jambo
5 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Apart from Gordon not one player in our squad is international class. Looking at the dross in the weegie weazels latest squad however I have to question what international class even is.

I often read and hear of our youngsters getting called up to Scotland youth squads and scratch my head. For the best part of 15 years we have been producing nothing but Scottish Championship level players. The couple of years we helped develop Paterson and Hickey aside.

I thought Shankland was a Scotland regular before he came to us, or am I out of touch?

part_time_jambo
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Halkett and Kingsley have been injured. And McKay and Shankland haven't produced the goods this season,  to be called into the Scotland squad.

When did producing the goods become a requirement to be picked for Scotland?

There must be something written is the secret SFA standing orders about picking Hibs players, It was stunning when Hanlon was picked a few years ago, Porteous is just as .... my vocabulary is lacking for an appropriate word,   Or are Scotland that hard up for players?

Can't even build a nucleus of a winning squad in 3.5 years. Sad to say I am glad he avoids picking our players when we have such a congested season. Only a matter of time before there is yet another shot of him standing on the touchline looking completely clueless losing to a team that we should have buried by half-time with 10 minutes to go.

2 minutes ago, CostaJambo said:

Can't even build a nucleus of a winning squad in 3.5 years. Sad to say I am glad he avoids picking our players when we have such a congested season. Only a matter of time before there is yet another shot of him standing on the touchline looking completely clueless losing to a team that we should have buried by half-time with 10 minutes to go.

Erm he's already took us to the Euro's. 

1 hour ago, Robbies Tackle said:

I think we all know he's ****ing crap. Saying that I thought Doig was pap too but a move away and he's doing well in Italy. 

it is the hibs curse, just look at vaz te, matt docherty and others that were piss poor at hibs but became competent and actually good players when they left. it is as if the culture at hibs is that toxic it affects the ability of players

5 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

it is the hibs curse, just look at vaz te, matt docherty and others that were piss poor at hibs but became competent and actually good players when they left. it is as if the culture at hibs is that toxic it affects the ability of players

Very true yeah. 

6 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Maybe we should pick Rocky then ffs.

Oh wait.....

Well if we’re going by your opinions, if Rocky finds himself a Scottish granny he’ll be a shoe-in for the next squad! 

Honestly, there’s no one better than

Porteous? Just about every team in the Scottish top flight has a better Scottish centre half. Then guys like Liam Lindsay, Murray Wallace, Jason Kerr. 

No one better. 🤣

A_A wehatethehibs

Honestly who cares what the Scotland squad is. It’ll be built round a back 6 with at best 2 attacking players on the pitch at any given time, looking to keep it tight and hopefully somehow nick a scruffy goal and result. But probably end up conceding 2 or 3 due to clogger defenders unable to keep up. Just telling it like it is folks. 

22 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Well if we’re going by your opinions, if Rocky finds himself a Scottish granny he’ll be a shoe-in for the next squad! 

Honestly, there’s no one better than

Porteous? Just about every team in the Scottish top flight has a better Scottish centre half. Then guys like Liam Lindsay, Murray Wallace, Jason Kerr. 

No one better. 🤣

Firstly I didn't suggest Rocky for Scotland.

Secondly I didn't say there's no one better than Porteous. 

5 hours ago, Barack said:

Give up with that team. 

Even more so with that squad.

Even more so with that manager.

Genuinely dislike him. His dismissive attitude after our last defeat, shows the contempt in which he holds fans. So, he's picked the same shite again, whilst incredibly increasing the shite further, as another smug giruy.

He's a *****. 

Won't watch a minute of any of them.

This. Spot on.

2 hours ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Nations League. 

Yea but we can still qualify so not meaningless games it seems.  Still not the main group games however 

14 minutes ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Yea but we can still qualify so not meaningless games it seems.  Still not the main group games however 

Yeah we really need to win the two upcoming games to do so but like you said not near as important as the Euro qualifying which starts next year for 2024. 

I wash my hands of them entirely. I have a billion times more love and passion for our rugby team (although whimpy Townsend is testing this) than the football team.

I feel almost nothing for them. I dislike Clarke, I find him quite unsavoury. The Ukraine game sealed it. We had a very good chance to go to the WC and we were too busy ensuring our opponents were welcomed. Disgraceful! Fans mushy eyed over a country this time last year not one of us I am sure gave a **** about. As if 'Saint' Ukraine would give the slightest shiney shite about Scotland if the situation was reversed.

The Welsh showed how it is done. They were more about beating them than cuddling them. 

Bazzas right boot
16 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I wash my hands of them entirely. I have a billion times more love and passion for our rugby team (although whimpy Townsend is testing this) than the football team.

I feel almost nothing for them. I dislike Clarke, I find him quite unsavoury. The Ukraine game sealed it. We had a very good chance to go to the WC and we were too busy ensuring our opponents were welcomed. Disgraceful! Fans mushy eyed over a country this time last year not one of us I am sure gave a **** about. As if 'Saint' Ukraine would give the slightest shiney shite about Scotland if the situation was reversed.

The Welsh showed how it is done. They were more about beating them than cuddling them. 

You post some nonesense. 

Did it cross your mind that Wales have a better team than Ukraine and we don't or that they played better than us on the day. 

Or do you prefer to make things up that get you angry? 

You must have lots of spare time now tho - gave up Hearts, now Scotland. 

Edited by Bazzas right boot

been here before
13 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Awww bless. Is our wickle Pwincess having another hissy fit meltdown?

"Wash my hands of them entierly" just like the Hearts team. 

Walking away.. the i8 way...

Greeting tears of glitter on 2 threads about the Scotland squad :rofl:

Bazzas right boot
9 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

I am sorry that Souttar and Halkett aren't able to be selected to play in front of Craig Gordon. 

I'm sorry Halkett isn't, Souttar is a hun ******* he can GTF. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Ukraine v Scotland - match thread (merged)