***Official Heart of Midlothian v Rangers Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

8 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

Still going strong ... on ... and on ... and on.

I actually feel a bit sorry for him. Everyone's buzzing for these two huge  games at Tynecastle. Opportunity to go 2nd in the league if we can beat Rangers. Opportunity to get within reach of a UEFA Conference play off if we can pull off a result against Fiorentina. Must be awful to not be able to enjoy these great times for Hearts. Instead he's ranting and raving about the previous manager! A manager, who incidentally had a 0% win rate in his last job but was apparently going to take Hearts to the 'next level' ...

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Luckies1874

• Bazzas right boot

• pettigrewsstylist

• Hearts007

5 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I actually feel a bit sorry for him. Everyone's buzzing for these two huge  games at Tynecastle. Opportunity to go 2nd in the league if we can beat Rangers. Opportunity to get within reach of a UEFA Conference play off if we can pull off a result against Fiorentina. Must be awful to not be able to enjoy these great times for Hearts. Instead he's ranting and raving about the previous manager! A manager, who incidentally had a 0% win rate in his last job but was apparently going to take Hearts to the 'next level' ...

Similar to his win rate as Hearts manager. 

21 minutes ago, Bainy said:

Rangers start games slow and GVB away seems to sit in 1st half so we need to be up for this and on the front foot from the 1st whistle. Get in front early and games ours. 

My only concern is neilson overthinking it cause its rangers and bottling it and changing it up to be hard to beat instead of going at them which will just play into their hands. 

My only concern is our fans expecting a win against a team that more than matched Napoli for 65 mins ...

Malinga the Swinga
33 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

He didn't specify the direction of next level though. League 1 was possibility of he had stayed.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Bainy said:

Rangers start games slow and GVB away seems to sit in 1st half so we need to be up for this and on the front foot from the 1st whistle. Get in front early and games ours. 

My only concern is neilson overthinking it cause its rangers and bottling it and changing it up to be hard to beat instead of going at them which will just play into their hands. 

You suggesting we should plan to be easy to beat? 

"going at them", why does no one think of this all conquering tactic- ever? 

😂😂

Bazzas right boot
10 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

I hope we will take a proactive attitude to this match early on. Yes Rangers have a better team than we do and no 'having a go' won't guarantee us a good outcome. But if we are going to lose, particularly at Tynecastle, then I would like to see us go down swinging. I'm not one of those who advocates going through to Ibrox or Celtic Park and trying to take the game to the OF, that is suicidal. But at Tynecastle I feel that it is what we should try to do. When I say take the game to them, I really just mean get in their faces and make life uncomfortable for them right from the kick off. Press them, tackle them, move the ball quickly, don't give them time to breathe. On the smaller pitch at Tynecastle and with a capacity crowd getting behind the team, we CAN do that. I really think that is our best chance to get a result here.

I don't want to see us play the first twenty minutes of this game the way we played the first twenty minutes against Basaksehir. It was all a bit passive that night, as though the team were just sussing out the opposition and trying to 'manage the game'. 

Rangers are a bit fragile at the moment so if we can rattle them early, or even get the first goal, then there is the potential to get a result here. But I have said that so many times over the years ahead of games against them. Only to be left sitting with my head in my hands as we find ourselves 0-2 down after 20mins or losing 1-3 to their under 11s team. 

If we lose, we lose. It's not like we're expected to get anything from the game or we haven't lost to Rangers many times before. I just want to see some PMA in this game. Go out there and play like eleven Cammy Devlin's. See where it takes us. 

Tbf we do attack and have played reasonably well v the OF at Tynecastle in recent seasons. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
14 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Neilson is the manager. He’s got us to where we are. I believe there will come a time when he won’t be able to take us any further BUT I resist boring the shit out of everyone by harping on and on using different angles to say the same thing.

Give it a break man. It’s the same old same old all the ****ing time. 

I get the feeling there are people more obstructive to success at the club than Neilson

6 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

😂😂

Shhhhh. Don't tell everyone about the secret "have a go" tactic. Rangers might work it out and have a go at us.

Bazzas right boot
Just now, jambopilms said:

Shhhhh. Don't tell everyone about the secret "have a go" tactic. Rangers might work it out and have a go at us.

😂😂

The Grim Reaper
3 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Rangers 100% will have a go at is. We will 100% sit back, park the bus and give them the freedom of Tynecastle.  

17 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

😂😂

👍👍

We have tried to go at them and Celtic before and ended on the end of tankings and it rarely works. Opening up against superior opponents is absolutely bonkers imo. 

I am not suggesting we just sit back and soak up pressure but going all Hail Mary at them will lead to them countering and picking us at will. 

This has been Neilsons biggest failings as our manager to date. His record versus the old firm. I hope he has learnt from the past how to approach these matches as we really need to start picking up results if we are to progress  

4 minutes ago, The Grim Reaper said:

Rangers 100% will have a go at is. We will 100% sit back, park the bus and give them the freedom of Tynecastle.  

Might be the way to go to get a result. Folk constantly wanting us to go toe to toe with better teams are plain stupid.

Having a go and pressing is risky and it could be game over very quickly. 

For balance, Motherwell a team with much closer resources to ourselves than rangers, had a go at us because we had played away in Europe a few days before. They left massive gaps in their defence to do it, we won 3-0. I'm sure their support were proud of the team having a go.

26 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Tbf we do attack and have played reasonably well v the OF at Tynecastle in recent seasons. 

Yep I’d agree, 3 of the 4 games last season at home we matched them, we just didn’t take our chances in the 2 we lost (Boyce penalty v Celtic, and various chances v rangers). The 3-1 game was disappointing but a dead rubber. 

Edited by karipidis

2 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

👍👍

This has been Neilsons biggest failings as our manager to date. His record versus the old firm. I hope he has learnt from the past how to approach these matches as we really need to start picking up results if we are to progress  

Then it must be every managers failings because we have never beaten the regularly.

How can not beating teams you aren't expected to beat a failing?

Why didn't you beat the team with ten times the resources? Fail.

I remember folk saying how Morton not beating us was a massive fail on their part.

30 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

I get the feeling there are people more obstructive to success at the club than Neilson

You have me intrigued. Tell me more.

19 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Might be the way to go to get a result. Folk constantly wanting us to go toe to toe with better teams are plain stupid.

For balance, Motherwell a team with much closer resources to ourselves than rangers, had a go at us because we had played away in Europe a few days before. They left massive gaps in their defence to do it, we won 3-0. I'm sure their support were proud of the team having a go.

Funnily enough they were ... and clapped them off.

🤣🤣🤣

Hopefully, we'll do to The Rangers what we did to 'Well. Should that come to pass I wonder if the bluenoses will clap their team off? Probably not, although I'm sure that they'd sportingly clap Hearts off. 🤭

35 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

👍👍

We have tried to go at them and Celtic before and ended on the end of tankings and it rarely works. Opening up against superior opponents is absolutely bonkers imo. 

I am not suggesting we just sit back and soak up pressure but going all Hail Mary at them will lead to them countering and picking us at will. 

Why do folk persist with this nonsense?

Who has ever suggested cavalry charge?  

“Having a go” can be interpreted in different ways but it all stems from the motivation and management as to how they want their players to approach the game.  

Not making use of your best attacking players is always a failing and it’s often down to not promoting belief and confidence in them that they can hurt better teams. 

Hearts used to be about pushing the limits. It didn’t always work but it’s good to see us attempt it.

Unfortunately, we seem to have alot of fans who seem to have submitted before a ball is kicked these days. 

4 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Gaming consoles is my best guess. People seem to genuinely believe Robbie is sitting in the dugout with a controller. 

I think some Hearts fans have got used to being miserable ***** over the past few decades, and as a result can't actually sit back and enjoy the game that's being played. Every single thing makes them fly off the handle in an apoplectic rage about the manager not picking the right team.  Player misses a tackle? ****ing Neilson.  Player gets injured? ****ing Neilson. Ball goes out for a throw in? ****ing Neilson. Team concede a goal? ****ing Neilson. It's getting tiresome, and you have to question the mentality of people who are like this.  Even when Hearts win a game, it's never good enough, there was something wrong with the team selection, we played too defensive at 2 or 3 goals up, or just anything that can lead to having a go at the manager. 

I'm not sure where it's come from, but it's just taking something away from supporting the team at the minute. 

12 minutes ago, tian447 said:

I think some Hearts fans have got used to being miserable ***** over the past few decades, and as a result can't actually sit back and enjoy the game that's being played. Every single thing makes them fly off the handle in an apoplectic rage about the manager not picking the right team.  Player misses a tackle? ****ing Neilson.  Player gets injured? ****ing Neilson. Ball goes out for a throw in? ****ing Neilson. Team concede a goal? ****ing Neilson. It's getting tiresome, and you have to question the mentality of people who are like this.  Even when Hearts win a game, it's never good enough, there was something wrong with the team selection, we played too defensive at 2 or 3 goals up, or just anything that can lead to having a go at the manager. 

I'm not sure where it's come from, but it's just taking something away from supporting the team at the minute. 

You must sit near me at Tynecastle!

47 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

‘Having a Go’ Vs ‘Parking the Bus’

Why does it have to be a choice between those 2 extremes ?

It doesn’t. Mainly because both extremes will probably get us beat.

Cant we just accept they are a decent team, probably better man for man than we are, but that we also have a threat and they have weak areas.

Defend properly, concentrate, compete, take your chances, hope they have an off day. All of those things for 90 minutes and we’ll be close. It applies just about every time you play the OF

13 minutes ago, tian447 said:

agree. I do think fantasy football - be it watching man city / liverpool epl games or console games is a factor. 

I almost feel as though some fans approach home games - especially against non OF - with a 5-0 winning scoreline in mind as a benchmark to come away happy.

2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Cant we just accept they are a decent team, probably better man for man than we are, but that we also have a threat and they have weak areas.

Defend properly, concentrate, compete, take your chances, hope they have an off day. All of those things for 90 minutes and we’ll be close. It applies just about every time you play the OF

yeap - agree with this Jimmy - especially the bit in bold. 

9 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Yep and I’d say we matched them in 5 of the 8 games we played them last season. With better players we would have got more than 4 points. That’s where the difference in resource comes into play. 

In 97/98 season, big Jim 'had a go' during the season, against the OF, and we lost a lot of goals. But changed tactics for the cup final. Obviously the early goal was a bonus for us, but the tactics worked. We can't go in 'gung ho'. Be sensible and not give too much away early in the match, and hopefully we can do the business up front. We have players that can hurt any team. Fingers crossed Robbie gets the tactics spot on. 

17 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Yeah, agree with this... for me, it's about hard work and closing their players down. When we've won in the past it's been largely due to not letting them play their game... and taking our chances! Because we will get opportunities.

Good post.

1 hour ago, jambopilms said:

Then it must be every managers failings because we have never beaten the regularly.

How can not beating teams you aren't expected to beat a failing?

Why didn't you beat the team with ten times the resources? Fail.

I remember folk saying how Morton not beating us was a massive fail on their part.

Neilson and savage have both commented on pushing on and trying to challenge the old firm. They haven’t hidden their desire to do so. They have bigger resources and it will always be a up hill task. However what else are we to do but look up and try and gain on them?  Otherwise what is the point?

I am not suggesting this is the only basis to judge Neilson on. I am perfectly happy with him but if we are to kick on and remain firmly in forward gear then it stands to reason he needs to get results Versus the old firm. 

53 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

See above. 

pettigrewsstylist
2 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

My only concern is our fans expecting a win against a team that more than matched Napoli for 65 mins ...

I dont know a single person "expecting a win" 

3 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Neilson and savage have both commented on pushing on and trying to challenge the old firm. They haven’t hidden their desire to do so. They have bigger resources and it will always be a up hill task. However what else are we to do but look up and try and gain on them?  Otherwise what is the point?

I am not suggesting this is the only basis to judge Neilson on. I am perfectly happy with him but if we are to kick on and remain firmly in forward gear then it stands to reason he needs to get results Versus the old firm. 

See above. 

We beat Celtic and then got a draw at Ibrox last season. Disappointing later results but we were quite competitive against them at least initially.

Our last win.

Can't high press them as will be picked apart, naw mare like Robbie can't get the lads high pressing, and will surrender the ball to them.

Anyway hopefully a win 3 points.

3 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

I dont know a single person "expecting a win" 

3 hours ago, Bainy said:

1 hour ago, jambopilms said:

Exactly. We go at Rangers for 90 mins and we lose 6-0 95% of the time. We’d maybe get an odd goal though.

Attack for the first ten, keep it tight till half time, then we have a huge chance to win the game from there.

Edit: it’s as if some fans don’t realise we spend hundreds of man hours researching how smaller teams get results against the OF….

Edited by Dayman

pettigrewsstylist

The first 60 mins against Zurich have collectively raised "hopes" as to whats "possible".

Finding consistency at that level is the challenge, as per always.

I think the hope is that tempo, first touch and desire will turn up on Sat. 

Dont think its unreasonable for a fan to "hope" that can happen.

Tall order tho!

3 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Our last win.

Can't high press them as will be picked apart, naw mare like Robbie can't get the lads high pressing, and will surrender the ball to them.

Anyway hopefully a win 3 points.

I see you've not posted the highlights of the league win as Rangers missed chance after chance due to our crazy tactics. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Debut 4 said:

Who has ever suggested cavalry charge?  

“Having a go” can be interpreted in different ways but it all stems from the motivation and management as to how they want their players to approach the game.  

Not making use of your best attacking players is always a failing and it’s often down to not promoting belief and confidence in them that they can hurt better teams. 

Hearts used to be about pushing the limits. It didn’t always work but it’s good to see us attempt it.

Unfortunately, we seem to have alot of fans who seem to have submitted before a ball is kicked these days. 

Nonsense from start to finish. 

We were 3rd top goal scorers last season, so your "attacking player" comment makes no sense. 

Regarding motivation etc, are you suggesting that a team that got promoted, got to 3rd and a sc final and is now in European group stage football aren't motivated or confident? 

If not what is your point? 

What fans are submitting to what? 

None of of that makes sense or has much, if any truth to it. 

Hearts used to be about pushing it to the limit... What does that mean - we've won 3 cups in 50 + years. 

Are you talking about the 60's? 

Edited by Bazzas right boot

9 minutes ago, karipidis said:

I see you've not posted the highlights of the league win as Rangers missed chance after chance due to our crazy tactics.

Yeah you don't win games by having shots mate ,you have to put the ball in the net.

Was also nice to see possession wise we managed more passes than them , then in the cup game even more.

Can't be done though hmm .

We had four on target that day to Rangers 2 on target.

So you have been owned there haha .

Match stats
Hearts
TEAM STATS
Rangers
12 Shots 7
6 Shots on target 1
56% Possession

44%

Cup game stats. 

Match stats
Hearts
TEAM STATS
Rangers
9 Shots 13
4 Shots on target 2
50% Possession 50%
360 Passes 359

League game stats.

Edited by Bongo 1874

1 hour ago, tian447 said:

Responding to your last paragraph- for them , not the rest of us. HHGH.

15 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

See above. 

The key to getting close to the OF is beating all the other teams regularly, week in week out. Then taking points hear and there off the OF. If we can beat the other teams home and away, the OF games will take care of themselves. 

1 minute ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Yeah you don't win games by having shots mate ,you have to put the ball in the net.

Was also nice to see possession wise we managed more passes than them , then in the cup game even more.

Can't be done though hmm .

Stop embarrassing yourself Bongo. It's beyond excruciating now.

We_are_the_Hearts
1 minute ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Can we put this myth to bed, that we can't beat Rangers. 

Exactly, we have some shitebags and excuse makers in our support. Dinny hear them saying the same when the likes of Kilmarnock and Dundee beat us.