***Official Heart of Midlothian v Rangers Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, hearts00 said:

Having just seen the highlights two things stood out. 

1) Kingsley was posted missing on several ocassions.  Looked like someone who had no idea how to play CH today, as he was dragged way out of position.  

2) Humphreys was the only bright spot but after a brilliant move he had a simple square to Shankland. Why he didn’t release it I’ve no idea. That would have been 1-1 and a different game. 

Robbie gets a lot of stick but the players aint half making a lot of mistakes this season. 

Who signs them and coaches them, he ultimately takes responsibility for what they do, that’s the job. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Luckies1874

• Bazzas right boot

• pettigrewsstylist

• Hearts007

7 minutes ago, Churchill Barrier said:

Other teams at least give them a game, old firm must love playing us, its pretty much 3 points guaranteed with little effort.

You don't think they're guaranteed 3 points against pretty much everybody? They will beat everybody else in this league probably more than once before the end.

And might just throw in another multi million pound signing or so at Xmas.

Fozzyonthefence
11 minutes ago, hearts00 said:

1) Kingsley was posted missing on several ocassions.  Looked like someone who had no idea how to play CH today, as he was dragged way out of position.  

2) Humphreys was the only bright spot but after a brilliant move he had a simple square to Shankland. Why he didn’t release it I’ve no idea. That would have been 1-1 and a different game. 

Robbie gets a lot of stick but the players aint half making a lot of mistakes this season. 

They would be playing at a higher level if they weren’t. 

1 hour ago, jbee647 said:

Too sensible for here mate, apparently we just need to have a go, apparently that’s what everyone else does when they all beat the old firm all the time, everyone else except us of course 😕

I think they did "have a go" first half. But doing that against such quality takes the risk you can quickly end up a couple of goals down. Which is exactly what happened.

Managers fault for having a go?

2 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

You don't think they're guaranteed 3 points against pretty much everybody? They will beat everybody else in this league probably more than once before the end.

And might just throw in another multi million pound signing or so at Xmas.

I'll be very surprised if we have anything other than 8 defeats against OF this season. Might be same for a few others. But those clubs who endure that most probably expect to finish third. 

1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

I think they did "have a go" first half. But doing that against such quality takes the risk you can quickly end up a couple of goals down. Which is exactly what happened.

Managers fault for having a go?

Sorry I was making a poor attempt at sarcasm

12 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

Yawn. You've been blaming refs on here for 20 years. As pathetic as our performance. 

I see your yawn and I'll double it.

After having watched Scottish Referees pandering to the Uglies more than 60 years, they are poor but surprisingly astute when it comes to these games.

Just as a wee example how many blatantly decisive offside goals have they had in the last 2 years alone?

Not that a Quisling would see it.

Edited by colinmaroon

1 minute ago, colinmaroon said:

I see your yawn and I'll double it.

After having watched Scottish Referees pandering to the Uglies more than 60 years, they are poor but surprisingly astute when it comes to these games.

Just as a wee example how many blatantly decisive offside goals have they had in the last 2 years alone?

Not that a Quisling would see it.

Yep definitely the refs fault today. JFC. Delusional. 

Here's the truth about Rangers fans. They're just a bunch of smelly, bigoted wanks that don't have the bottle to support a real football team. 

They are nothing. Utter ficking nobodies. No fan of any other club actually gives a toss at anything their shitey club does. Meaningless success  over severely disadvantaged rivals and consistent helping hands from favourable referees. Only complete arseholes like them would think their success was any sort of achievement.

They even let their club die and pretend the tribute act is the same thing..

Utter scum the lot of tihem.

4 hours ago, hearts00 said:

I’m a big Kingsley fan but he’s better off paying lcb in a back three. 

humphrys does what we do all the time in attacks and takes a touch when not required. Do it first time and catch teams out 

Jambo 4 Ever
38 minutes ago, stuart500 said:

Here's the truth about Rangers fans. They're just a bunch of smelly, bigoted wanks that don't have the bottle to support a real football team. 

They are nothing. Utter ficking nobodies. No fan of any other club actually gives a toss at anything their shitey club does. Meaningless success  over severely disadvantaged rivals and consistent helping hands from favourable referees. Only complete arseholes like them would think their success was any sort of achievement.

Lol you don’t like them then? 🤣

Halliday is one of them 

4 hours ago, Carter said:

I'll be very surprised if we have anything other than 8 defeats against OF this season. Might be same for a few others. But those clubs who endure that most probably expect to finish third. 

I would be surprised if they don't beat most 8 times, and the rest most of the time. At this moment they have a greater financial advantage over the rest of the league than they have ever had. It's a new level of financial disparity.

The financial advantage they have is even greater than the advantage EPL sides haver over them. It's that big a gap. It's why they wont be winning the Champions league and why no one in Scotland can compete with the OF.

Having a go isn't a strategy, it's no more than get intae them. That's what Devlin did and that didn't help.

The OF pay millions for players because they have a combination of sometimes size, athleticism, and natural talent. That kind of combination does cost millions in the modern era and no one but them in Scotland can afford to fill a team with that kind of player.

And no matter how much anybody screams get intae them they're still going to prevail most of the time. Against any manager you care to put up against them. Jurgen Klopp couldn't beat them.

And that's why I can't be bothered with those who go straight to sack the manager, it's his fault. No it isn't, the financial imbalance is the only factor worth talking about. And in fact even that's not worth talking much about because it's not going to be changing anytime soon.

People need to grasp reality, no one is going to be competing with the OF, forget it. You can dream but don't blame the manager when the dream doesn't become reality.

3 hours ago, stuart500 said:

The vast majority of this country support a football team for dishonourable reasons. These reasons being religion, politics and glory.

Filthy, scummy *******s the lot of the Old Firm *******s are and I wish them all nothing but misery.

14 hours ago, jambopilms said:

So are you saying St mirren now have Celtics number ? 

Or is it Celtic dropped the ball for once. St mirren beating Celtic happens once every blue moon. We beat Celtic last season. Someone might do it next season.

You can't take the very very few times the OF get beat to prove a point and ignore the dozens of games they won easily.

You might want to check St Mirren's results against Celtic in the last three seasons. 

1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

I would be surprised if they don't beat most 8 times, and the rest most of the time. At this moment they have a greater financial advantage over the rest of the league than they have ever had. It's a new level of financial disparity.

The financial advantage they have is even greater than the advantage EPL sides haver over them. It's that big a gap. It's why they wont be winning the Champions league and why no one in Scotland can compete with the OF.

Having a go isn't a strategy, it's no more than get intae them. That's what Devlin did and that didn't help.

The OF pay millions for players because they have a combination of sometimes size, athleticism, and natural talent. That kind of combination does cost millions in the modern era and no one but them in Scotland can afford to fill a team with that kind of player.

And no matter how much anybody screams get intae them they're still going to prevail most of the time. Against any manager you care to put up against them. Jurgen Klopp couldn't beat them.

And that's why I can't be bothered with those who go straight to sack the manager, it's his fault. No it isn't, the financial imbalance is the only factor worth talking about. And in fact even that's not worth talking much about because it's not going to be changing anytime soon.

People need to grasp reality, no one is going to be competing with the OF, forget it. You can dream but don't blame the manager when the dream doesn't become reality.

Probably correct but not accurate. Didn’t Hibs draw with Rangers at home and aren’t they now above us in the league. Possibly the most annoying thing on here is the complacency we will be third place at end of season. We desperately need to bring in quality in January and grind out some results in the next few weeks with some difficult games coming up. Otherwise we will be left behind. Clearly sorting out the defence is number one priority.

4 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

Yep definitely the refs fault today. JFC. Delusional. 

That's the problem with you folks with ADHD, already forgotten my original post.

You'll find as you grow and with therapy and the right meds - You'll discover that the two things, merde performancence from both team and officials can exist in the same reality.

We were shit!

The referee was shot!

Not mutually exclusive.

Simples!!!

33 minutes ago, OldGorgie said:

Probably correct but not accurate. Didn’t Hibs draw with Rangers at home and aren’t they now above us in the league. Possibly the most annoying thing on here is the complacency we will be third place at end of season. We desperately need to bring in quality in January and grind out some results in the next few weeks with some difficult games coming up. Otherwise we will be left behind. Clearly sorting out the defence is number one priority.

I think the hibs thing is just a coincidence and even more so since it happens with different teams and managers. It wont go on and they too will be well beaten in their turn.

Might also be the case that they don't "have a go". They sit in park the bus wait for the waves of attacks and nick something on the break. Nielsen had a go today, didn't work due to an in form multi million pound striker and a rush of blood from Devlin.

I don't think having a go is the smartest thing today against either of the current OF squads. They're most certainly going to score probably more than once and that's a tall mountain to climb isn't it. People say well if we're going be beaten anyway "have a go"

Which to me throws away any chance of taking anything from it.

If points are what's most important to you then shutting up shop is the best answer. It makes it harder for them to score then if they do and they're still chasing the game, which they will be then they will be pretty much throwing everybody up leaving space for a breakaway.

Keep it at just 1 and you're still in with a chance to the very end. "Have a go" and it's better than evens that you might be a couple of goals down by halftime. These are the options, have a go and almost certainly be beaten, or the alternative I described.

Which is btw the strategy the vast majority if not all deploy against them. For good reason.

pettigrewsstylist
12 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

See this "getting better" nonsense, it isn't about challenging the Old Firm over 38 games in the League. It's absolutely impossible to do that these days, never going to happen. Anyone who is deluding themselves to believing sound bites from Neilson / Savage and co needs help. The best and by far the most expensive Hearts side and squad that most of us have ever seen couldn't even manage it and the mismatch of journey men and mediocrity we have now certainly isn't going to. But what is totally reasonable to believe and indeed expect is for Hearts to be 3rd, season in and season out. Yes there is competition, most notably Aberdeen have spent, to try to catch us specifically. They appear to have recognised, just like many Hearts fans, that the opportunity for European Group football is a game changer for clubs of our stature.

The problem is, I'm far from convinced those at the top, in charge at Tynecastle, who have no real football knowledge or nous (as we've seen countless times over the last decade) have appreciated that we can put such a significant gap between us and the rest. "Getting better" isn't about catching the Old Firm, it's about improving to the extent of being far ahead of the other's who could even hope to challenge us throughout a league season. Last season we strolled to 3rd and credit was due and given for that but your kidding yourself if you think it was simply down to Hearts performances, the truth was the others were so dire and cutting each other's throats that we really didn't have to do much at all as the actual points total reveals. Some of them have improved, the question right now is have we. Very doubtful would be my answer. 

This season is still relatively young but we are at the start of a very tough run of games and not only have we not separated ourselves from the pack we are actually right In the middle of it. If something unexpected doesn't happen and there has been precious little consistency or sign of that, we are almost definitely going to be playing catch up from mid December onwards. The totally underwhelming transfer window is coming home to roost especially up front where the options are frankly a disgrace but maybe by January they will correct the obvious mistakes of the summer so we do 'get better'! 

All true. I would add that in the absence of any league title hopes then aspirations of silverware rest with the cups.

Seems they are also aspirations to be confined to ancient history on recent trends, unless OF slits there own throats and somebody else does the spadework to knock them out.

Concerned our aspirations seem to be mutating into 3rd is new 1st, a good ole humping in europe each year is worth the ££ and the OF cannot be beaten so its pointless trying to in any real sense.

Sinbad the Sailor
3 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Nail. On. Head.

Sinbad the Sailor
2 hours ago, OldGorgie said:

In that game it was Sevco that had 10 men.

Fozzyonthefence
3 minutes ago, Sinbad the Sailor said:

In that game it was Sevco that had 10 men.

No that was the game they had 9 men which is when Hibs equalised!

Sinbad the Sailor
Just now, Fozzyonthefence said:

No that was the game they had 9 men which is when Hibs equalised!

Too early in the morning for me to count 😁

upgotheheads

When I saw the starting eleven I was excited about the prospect of two strikers up front together in a 442 or maybe 351. It started as 433 with a striker playing right wing and the midfield struggling to get on the ball. Rangers were up at our end within a couple of passes as soon as we lost the ball at their end. 

It didn't help that MacKay couldn't get into the game at all which meant that Forrest wasn't getting the ball either, so everything went down our right side through a striker playing winger.

Humphrys actually played well but Neilson didn't read the problem, we should have changed the formation as soon as it became obvious that the midfield was struggling. Devlin's red was a direct result of his frustration at not being able to get a foothold in the game (imo).

13 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

When I saw the starting eleven I was excited about the prospect of two strikers up front together in a 442 or maybe 351. It started as 433 with a striker playing right wing and the midfield struggling to get on the ball. Rangers were up at our end within a couple of passes as soon as we lost the ball at their end. 

It didn't help that MacKay couldn't get into the game at all which meant that Forrest wasn't getting the ball either, so everything went down our right side through a striker playing winger.

Humphrys actually played well but Neilson didn't read the problem, we should have changed the formation as soon as it became obvious that the midfield was struggling. Devlin's red was a direct result of his frustration at not being able to get a foothold in the game (imo).

Against better teams MacKay never gets into the game, especially yesterday when we were outnumbered in midfield. He gets isolated out wide and can’t influence the game. For me and easy with hindsight I’d have played Grant and dropped Forrest yesterday. I like Grant he has a presence gets about the pitch and can break forward. If Humphrys is going to play wide then MacKay can play the other side and cut in knowing there’s 3 through the middle to cover. 

Another failing we have is the early ball to Shankland from wide areas, he plays the width of the posts so instead of taking a touch and trying to pick a pass just bang it first time across the box and let Shankland do what he does best. If he doesn’t get on the end of it it’s still likely to end up with us retaining possession instead of being picked off on the counter. 

Kio and Devlin can hold the midfield but they don’t offer a great deal if we’re trying to break quickly to often the play gets slowed down and teams regroup. 

I would really like to see us get more consistent in the starting 11. There’s just too much tinkering going on at a time where we really need to just consolidate. I know injuries to the back line are meaning changes there but every week we seem to juggle the entire team.

For me yesterday this team gives us balance and numbers to stop Rangers breaking on us:

Gordon

Smith Neilson Kingsley Cochrane

Devlin Kio Grant

Humphrys MacKay

Shankland

Pasquale for King
7 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Lol you don’t like them then? 🤣

Halliday is one of them 

As is Neilson, McCulloch, Halkett, McKay and probably a few others. Add in hundreds of our fans who are in every way diet Huns, including whoever decided on black armbands yesterday. 
His description is still correct.

Pasquale for King
8 hours ago, stuart500 said:

Post of the year. 

2 hours ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

All true. I would add that in the absence of any league title hopes then aspirations of silverware rest with the cups.

Seems they are also aspirations to be confined to ancient history on recent trends, unless OF slits there own throats and somebody else does the spadework to knock them out.

Concerned our aspirations seem to be mutating into 3rd is new 1st, a good ole humping in europe each year is worth the ££ and the OF cannot be beaten so its pointless trying to in any real sense.

A reasonable take. Certainly the attitude by many people connected to Hearts whether within the club or in the support is now extremely negative when it comes to games against the big 2. The chances of us beating both in a cup run seems basically zero now so as you say we would need the groundwork done by someone else along the way or them meeting each other. It will be interesting to see the crowd against Celtic in the Saturday lunchtime kick off in a couple of weeks time (especially if the 4 games between now and then haven't gone well) as there were thousands of empty seats yesterday. This may have been down to various factors but plenty just can't be bothered with these matches now given the likelihood of us being uncompetitive. 

upgotheheads
22 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Against better teams MacKay never gets into the game, especially yesterday when we were outnumbered in midfield. He gets isolated out wide and can’t influence the game. For me and easy with hindsight I’d have played Grant and dropped Forrest yesterday. I like Grant he has a presence gets about the pitch and can break forward. If Humphrys is going to play wide then MacKay can play the other side and cut in knowing there’s 3 through the middle to cover. 

Another failing we have is the early ball to Shankland from wide areas, he plays the width of the posts so instead of taking a touch and trying to pick a pass just bang it first time across the box and let Shankland do what he does best. If he doesn’t get on the end of it it’s still likely to end up with us retaining possession instead of being picked off on the counter. 

Kio and Devlin can hold the midfield but they don’t offer a great deal if we’re trying to break quickly to often the play gets slowed down and teams regroup. 

I would really like to see us get more consistent in the starting 11. There’s just too much tinkering going on at a time where we really need to just consolidate. I know injuries to the back line are meaning changes there but every week we seem to juggle the entire team.

For me yesterday this team gives us balance and numbers to stop Rangers breaking on us:

Gordon

Devlin Kio Grant

Humphrys MacKay

Shankland

👍  Neilson can take credit for playing to win the game at home against Sevco but playing with two up in a 4-4-2 or 5-3-2 would have been attacking enough. Ceding the midfield against a team with Sevco's quality is suicide.

Boyces beard
8 hours ago, stuart500 said:

👏

Fozzyonthefence
13 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

A reasonable take. Certainly the attitude by many people connected to Hearts whether within the club or in the support is now extremely negative when it comes to games against the big 2. The chances of us beating both in a cup run seems basically zero now so as you say we would need the groundwork done by someone else along the way or them meeting each other. It will be interesting to see the crowd against Celtic in the Saturday lunchtime kick off in a couple of weeks time (especially if the 4 games between now and then haven't gone well) as there were thousands of empty seats yesterday. This may have been down to various factors but plenty just can't be bothered with these matches now given the likelihood of us being uncompetitive. 

There was a train strike yesterday and the game was live on tv.  There was always going to be loads of empty seats even if it was technically a sell out. 

36 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Gordon

Devlin Kio Grant

Humphrys MacKay

Shankland

Good post. I’ve felt for a while as well we need more influence from midfield.

Neilson seems to put all his hopes on the front trio or quartet to produce the goods but as we see v stronger teams, they are snuffed out.  We need more football from the centre of the park and more unity in link up play. 

It all becomes too stretched imo and play breaks down alot as we can’t retain the ball in key positions. 

LochcarronJambo

I just think we always look like we have no belief when we start against OF, we stand off, they dictate the game & so it goes on, very disappointing …..

Jambo 4 Ever
37 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

As is Neilson, McCulloch, Halkett, McKay and probably a few others. Add in hundreds of our fans who are in every way diet Huns, including whoever decided on black armbands yesterday. 

So he’s describing all these players too 

13 hours ago, hearts00 said:

That's because he's a left back.

47 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Weren't the armbands for Robinson?  Fecking hope so.

9 hours ago, stuart500 said:

I had one at work on Friday say “ you don’t want to be beating us ra morra, that will just be helping THEM” I just laughed in his face and said “why the **** should I care which one of you smellie shites win the league “ he just looked dumbfounded 😂

Bungalow Bill
20 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Did it cost St Johnstone tens of millions to win 2 cups? 

We will never see another non-OF team win 2 domestic trophies in a single season. Not getting drawn against the OF helps massively. 

15 minutes ago, briever said:

Weren't the armbands for Robinson?  Fecking hope so.

Please don't tell him that he loves to be offended .

I'm sure it was King Billy's birthday yesterday and it was for his memory 🤣

15 hours ago, jamborich said:

Please tell me were we threatened them

Humphreys was the only bright spot but after a brilliant move he had a simple square to Shankland. Why he didn’t release it I’ve no idea. That would have been 1-1 and adifferent game. 

Hectormasson
9 hours ago, stuart500 said:

but their fans would make you believe their title win was from a league akin  to serie a or the likes ?f....g laughable.....😚and fth...🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

Exile fae Main Street

Injuries are really taking their toll on the defence.

In these circumstances it would have been far more prudent to play a three in the middle and not "have a go".

Manager is culpable.

Hectormasson
18 minutes ago, jamboozy said:

I had one at work on Friday say “ you don’t want to be beating us ra morra, that will just be helping THEM” I just laughed in his face and said “why the **** should I care which one of you smellie shites win the league “ he just looked dumbfounded 😂

perfect reply💩💩x 2

16 minutes ago, Bungalow Bill said:

We will never see another non-OF team win 2 domestic trophies in a single season. Not getting drawn against the OF helps massively. 

St Johnstone beat Rangers at Ibrox on their way to winning one of those cups. 

No Idle Talk

I could write paragraphs going through everything that was bad about yesterday. But I really can't be bothered. Suffice to say, it was a depressing watch.

That is the worst game by far that I have ever seen Stephen Kingsley have for Hearts. He had an absolute nightmare. When a player as good as him plays like that it probably sums up how the whole thing went.

2 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

I could write paragraphs going through everything that was bad about yesterday. But I really can't be bothered. Suffice to say, it was a depressing watch.

That is the worst game by far that I have ever seen Stephen Kingsley have for Hearts. He had an absolute nightmare. When a player as good as him plays like that it probably sums up how the whole thing went.

Yeah I think that's the worst game since we lost 1-2 against Dundee.    At least that's how I feel.   Yesterday was worse, much worse. 

I still think we'll come back.    I don't think we'll stroll to third.    We're going to struggle abit.   It will be closer than easier.   I think one of the targets was more goals or points.   Nah, we'll struggle until we get players back and strengthen in January. 

I had hopes to win yesterday but when it goes wrong it looks much worse than when it goes right but lose by bad luck. 

I'd like to point out Humphrys should have squared it to Shankland just incase no one noticed yet.   Different game if that goes but bad decisions seemed to influence the result. 

3 hours ago, Exile fae Main Street said:

Injuries are really taking their toll on the defence.

In these circumstances it would have been far more prudent to play a three in the middle and not "have a go".

Manager is culpable.

I liked his line up when I first saw it, but the way we set up defensively within the selection was just nonsensical. Defending too narrow with full backs tucked in, offering no threat or link up further forward. Our 4 attacking players all had nightmares simultaneously and our best player, up to the point it happened, got himself red carded.

It was an utter shambles tactically.

Edited by JimmyCant