***Official Heart of Midlothian v Rangers Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

14 minutes ago, whodanny said:

I think that's one of the truest statements posted today. Big Craig is a great servant to Hearts and I'll never doubt his commitment, but we need somebody up the park to be shouting, moaning, cajoling and just plain leading. Craig cannae do that from the other end of the pitch. Somebody needs to step up and take control, but are our boys too feart to take responsibility ?

I hear that, but there is nothing from a Michael Smith , Craig Halkett (when fit) or a Stephen Kingsley accepting that responsibility, you don’t need an arm band to show some leadership 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Luckies1874

• Bazzas right boot

• pettigrewsstylist

• Hearts007

periodictabledancer
1 hour ago, jambopilms said:

Always comes back to Neilson on here. Folk can't just comment on the game.  the fact Kingsley was awful today, McKay was again missing in a big match, why bother start him? Neilson has talent but can't header the ball, which is a glaring flaw in the SPFL.

We tried to get forward until the 2nd goal but they are better all over the park as they should be

You're making stuff up now - there's PLENTY of folk on here focussing on the game , not every critic of that crap today wants RN gone. But the same issues appear week in week out this season -

defensive frailties - what are they working on in training ?

McKay - goes missing totally or fails to appear until the 2nd half. And this was happening in pre-season too.

The measure of how far RN is taking Hearts is in seeing how (more) competitive we are against the OF. Today tells it's own story. There's really not much progress from last season.

1 minute ago, tiger Rudi said:

Not overly impressed with Snodgrass as yet. Looks done to me. Happy to be proven wrong, but going down to 10 men & needing youth, legs & pace to try & cope with their extra man...... we bring on Haring & Snodgrass. The game was over, I get it, but will Snodgrass play a major part this season on the evidence seen so far, not likely sadly. 

Baffled at the half time changes, mate.  

How the management haven’t cottoned on to the fact that Haring can fill in as a CH. We lost pace and threat when Neilson decided to move Cochrane to CH. Truly baffling. 

We were in it at 1-0. Playing reasonably well.  

6 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

So what tactics shocked you? 

Think I’m wasting my time with you mate 

Edited by jamborich

1 minute ago, jbee647 said:

I hear that, but there is nothing from a Michael Smith , Craig Halkett (when fit) or a Stephen Kingsley accepting that responsibility, you don’t need an arm band to show some leadership 

I agree. Maybe Robbie needs to tell one/all of them to man up and take that resposibility. If just one takes the lead others may follow, then they might comunicate better with each other. Maybe too many of the new boys are a bit reluctant to step on toes.

7 minutes ago, tiger Rudi said:

Not overly impressed with Snodgrass as yet. Looks done to me. Happy to be proven wrong, but going down to 10 men & needing youth, legs & pace to try & cope with their extra man...... we bring on Haring & Snodgrass. The game was over, I get it, but will Snodgrass play a major part this season on the evidence seen so far, not likely sadly. 

Oh, come on. The guy is brought off the bench in a game v one of the arsecheeks, where we were already 2-0 down and down to 10 men. Tough gig to shine at that point.

He put in an excellent corner that was unfortunately met by Halliday. I think he’ll be influential once he is fully fit (reportedly doing double and triple sessions) and starting games.

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, jamborich said:

You've not said which tactics shocked you. 

I was just asking. 

Maybe you are still in shock and can't give an  answer. 🤷‍♂️

Not pressing the panic button just yet but we've not really performed well and controlled games as often as we should be doing. Ironically in 2 prominent games we have, we've not won (Hibs and Zurich; red card obv a big reason). 

Injuries and the additional European games are a factor particularly Halkett being out but it's been disappointing overall performance wise.

One frustrating thing for me today was unlike Rangers, we don't press high with intensity. I think that was partly a fear of the Rangers full backs overlapping but it was still too easy for the Rangers centre halves to step forward and pick passes.

It's what concerns me on Thursday for which is a win or bust game (win, we'll finish second,  fail to win, we won't) so hopefully we go for it because whilst there was premature Hearts have turned the corner stuff after Motherwell,  we're not far off being in mini crisis mode with the supporters.

10 minutes ago, tiger Rudi said:

The signings of Snodgrass and Humphrys were last minute and desperate. That is not an assessment on how either will do, it's too early to tell whether they will contribute or otherwise. Personally I have my doubts. But that is the reality of those signings. The end of the transfer window, post Boyce injury, was fairly shambolic and frankly we should have been stronger than we are. 

How Forrest gets a start in front of others, notably Ginnelly, must be a big mystery at Tynecastle just now. 

Edited by Debut 4

1 minute ago, Luckies1874 said:

The signings of Snodgrass and Humphrys were last minute and desperate. That is not an assessment on how either will do, it's too early to tell whether they will contribute or otherwise. Personally I have my doubts. But that is the reality of those signings. The end of the transfer window, post Boyce injury, was fairly shambolic and frankly we should have been stronger than we are. 

Humphrys is ok, Snodgrass has got the arse the size of a rhino. 

1 hour ago, 1971fozzy said:

Today wasn’t on Neilson. It was on Devlin and injuries. If we had Halkett and Rowles and that areshole never got himself sent off we would of had a chance

It’s not only those things in fact it’s less on Devlin because we were practically beat by then.

I think we’ve got delusions of being a high quality team. We’ve got some decent players but only one or two who can be relied on week in week out for decent performances. The rest range through average to over rated and inconsistent.

Im never fully convinced that Neilson has the full range of skills required to be a Hearts manager but today he was at the bottom of the fault pile. Motivation skills and game management being where he is most lacking

Edited by JimmyCant

3 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

You've not said which tactics shocked you. 

I was just asking. 

Maybe you are still in shock and can't give an  answer. 🤷‍♂️

Lol your a funny guy you don’t have to agree with me I get that but how about playing attacking football how about not playing the ball backwards how about playing to our strengths 

6 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

How Forrest gets a start in front of others, notably Ginnelly, must be a big mystery at Tynecastle just now. 

C'mon, he wasn't great today but he scored 3 in his last 2 games.

Fozzyonthefence

For Snodgrass, I’m thinking Glenn Whelan.  He looks badly out of shape.  Can’t really remember if Whelan was out of shape or just past it.  

4 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

It’s not only those things in fact it’s less on Devlin because we were practically beat by then.

I think we’ve got delusions of being a high quality team. We’ve got some decent players but only one or two who can be relied on week in week out for decent performances. The rest range through average to over rated and inconsistent.

Im never fully convinced that Neilson has the full range of skills required to be a Hearts manager but today he was at the bottom of the fault pile. Motivation skills and game management being where he is most lacking

Neilson has no tactical clue or any motivational skills.

Never has, never will.

That's why Hearts will never move forward with him in charge.

25 minutes ago, tiger Rudi said:

That’s probably why the only other club that showed interest were Motherwell. 

He wasn’t inundated with offers and our offer was a panic buy if you ask me 

Edited by theshed

Just now, Robbo-Jambo said:

Never has, never will.

Absolutely 

Is ok what`we needed though? It's so disappointing that we lost Simms (fair enough most expected that) and then lost Boyce to injury and ended up with just Shankland as a front player. Nothing on the bench. Humphrys who has so far tried hard enough but is played wide as the only option. No young strikers, no strategic signing to replace Simms. Really poor. 

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, jamborich said:

Lol your a funny guy you don’t have to agree with me I get that but how about playing attacking football how about not playing the ball backwards how about playing to our strengths 

You said the line up was good but the tactics were shocking. 

I'm genuinely interested in what tactics you found shocking. 

The Real Maroonblood
11 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Neilson is absolutely shite as Hearts manager. 

Totally out of his depths.

1 minute ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Fed up talking to you mate 0-4 tells the story 

Amazing how many folk think a different formation or tactics means the difference between a result against the OF or not.

32 minutes ago, whodanny said:

I think that's one of the truest statements posted today. Big Craig is a great servant to Hearts and I'll never doubt his commitment, but we need somebody up the park to be shouting, moaning, cajoling and just plain leading. Craig cannae do that from the other end of the pitch. Somebody needs to step up and take control, but are our boys too feart to take responsibility ?

Totally agree, was nothing in my statement having a go at Craig, thank feck we have him, he's unbelievable. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Too soft then too mental. 

McKay worse than a man down against his former employers. Since he rarely has a bad game, I would not consider him for this fixture any longer. 

Kingsley must have had his worst 45 minutes of his life.

Miserable 4 days now until Thursday, team needs to develop discipline in many different ways and quickly to be competitive at a higher level, failing miserably against challenging teams 

comradejambo

Disappointing result and performance in the main. Made to feel worse by the fact all other results have gone against us today. Our big players don’t seem to step up for the big games which granted is a concern.

However, losing to Rangers isn’t an u common occurrence. Anything against the OF teams tends to be a bonus and as folk have said, won’t define our season. 

Given the Really tough run we have at the moment, it definitely elevates the importance of next weeks game at Killy and Ross county at the end of the month. Win those 2 fixtures and get something from pitoddrie and we will still be in touch of 3rd at month end (suspect well be 4th /5th). Hopefully Hallkett and rowles will be back before month end also with a fitter snodgrass. Given the demands of Europe and the fact we will have played the OF 3 times (Celtic at home will be played out by then) this isn’t a disastrous position to be in. The run of games after the WC is significantly easier and we should be looking at bagging the majority of points at this time. Do that and I suspect we’ll be there and thereabouts for 3rd with the opportunity to bring more bodies in January and the prospect of beni back.

Things will get better IMO!

Todays gem was not defending width.

Kent in acres for a cross for the first goal. Cochrane left one on one vs pace for the second. We did it all game. Gave up the wide areas to defend the middle and left the full backs, not only exposed but unable to get forward

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

Todays gem was not defending width.

Kent in acres for a cross for the first goal. Cochrane left one on one vs pace for the second. We did it all game. Gave up the wide areas to defend the middle and left the full backs, not only exposed but unable to get forward

Nah. 

The first as I already said was our inability to deal with a punt and they won the second ball. 

The cross is also from a position you want to defend crosses from. 

I don't think our tactics were to give possession away in our final 3rd and not clear a basic punt properly aided by a poor header and poor anticipation for the second ball. 

The second, the boy cut inside and played a great pass with a great finish. 

I don't see how matching up out wide and then the winger cutting inside is giving up the width. 

If anything I felt with our width we wanted to pin back their full backs and get in behind them, there were signs of that when 11 v 11.

Naisys Tackle
45 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Too many folk bounce about from result to result and many on here just don't like Bob. 

A manager should be judged over a season or a longer period of time. 

You do exactly that after one or two wins and use it as an excuse too have a go at others.

I agree over a longer period of time, yes.  But if I'm going to praise the manager (as I do) after a good result then if there's shortcomings in a performance then the manager isn't immune and it's very little do do with hating our manager.  

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Amazing how many folk think a different formation or tactics means the difference between a result against the OF or not.

Tbh, if anything I think we should tighten up v them. 

V the OF the last thing you want to do is concede early. 

We  threw 2 in and a red card for the banter. 

Just a horrible start. 

Strange as well, as for 20/25. Minutes I thought we attacked well, controlled spells and looked dangerous. 

Naisys Tackle
18 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Never has, never will.

We have moved forward since his reappointment though.  My worry is we have regressed from last year but that's not solely down to the manager. 

19 minutes ago, Costanza said:

C'mon, he wasn't great today but he scored 3 in his last 2 games.

It’s about longevity mate. Let’s be honest, before Motherwell he was poor. 

Even then, it’s about moments.  Took his first goal nice but his second was a tap in. He was lauded as some sort of John Colquhoun. 

You can see how he wasn’t picked up years ago by bigger clubs. 

Sinbad the Sailor
1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

What were your thoughts on the game and performance?

We were mince. The players never turned up. Devlin red card - and then the baw was fully bust. Not a lot Neilson could have done about players who are usually good being sh#te today. Heads on Thursday maybe.

Bazzas right boot
14 minutes ago, jamborich said:

Fed up talking to you mate 0-4 tells the story 

I asked you a simple question and you couldn't answer. 

You said you thought the tactics were shocking. 

I asked what tactics shocked you. 

You couldn't answer. 😂😂

It's almost like you originally posted a pile of shite. 

53 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Too many folk bounce about from result to result and many on here just don't like Bob. 

A manager should be judged over a season or a longer period of time. 

So true, he was a boring ***** 2 seasons ago, he was a boring ***** last season and he's a boring ***** this season 👍

Bazzas right boot
23 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Never has, never will.

Apart from when he has, twice now. 

Just now, Paul Shark said:

So true, he was a boring ***** 2 seasons ago, he was a boring ***** last season and he's a boring ***** this season 👍

You will never be satisfied.

Fozzyonthefence
2 minutes ago, Sinbad the Sailor said:

We were mince. The players never turned up. Devlin red card - and then the baw was fully bust. Not a lot Neilson could have done about players who are usually good being sh#te today. Heads on Thursday maybe.

MacKay is shite in all these types of games though.  Maybe an argument for resting him in some of these bigger games if he’s consistently not going to turn up?

I doubt the heads were on Thursday.  Today was a huge game, a chance to go second, that everyone should have been up for.

1 hour ago, whodanny said:

In a nutshell.  Halket should be the captain.

Sinbad the Sailor
2 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

MacKay is shite in all these types of games though.  Maybe an argument for resting him in some of these bigger games if he’s consistently not going to turn up?

I doubt the heads were on Thursday.  Today was a huge game, a chance to go second, that everyone should have been up for.

Fair point on wee Barrie he's been rotten v Rangers and Celtic for example. Surely though their managers spell him out as our danger man and that's why he becomes ineffective with a multimillion defence on top of him.

Never seen Kingsley so bad and Smith wasn't far behind. Even God himself CG looked shaky today.

Maybe simply a bad day at the office all round. Trying too hard and things not working. Explains Cammy's red. 

1 minute ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I asked you a simple question and you couldn't answer. 

You said you thought the tactics were shocking. 

I asked what tactics shocked you. 

You couldn't answer. 😂😂

It's almost like you originally posted a pile of shite. 

You are having a mare go back and see we’re I said how about playing attacking football tactically we don’t it’s all about playing the ball back we are not playing to our players strengths do you honestly think McKay and Forrest are having an impact in the game 

2 minutes ago, chrystaf said:

In a nutshell.  Halket should be the captain.

I think so, but is he vocal enough ? I don't often remember seeing him screaming and shouting to his team mates. I can recall hearing Naismith yelling at the ref above the noise of the crowd at one game. That.s what we need. I'd like Halks to be like that.

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, jamborich said:

You are having a mare go back and see we’re I said how about playing attacking football tactically we don’t it’s all about playing the ball back we are not playing to our players strengths do you honestly think McKay and Forrest are having an impact in the game 

That's not tactics tho, that's just Rangers defenders playing well.

Our tactic isn't to play the ball back- that is not a tactic. If you think Bob said before the game- " right lads, lets pass the ball back today" then I'd say you were a fool.

portobellojambo1
2 hours ago, Chillidigits said:

Just out of curiosity if we do within the constraints of our budget improve our recruitment and management, what league position would you expect us to achieve ?

Based on the position we echieved last season then if looking to go forward one would have ro be thinking of 2nd, i.e. small steps. Don't get me wrong, I know it won't be easy, but I'd like to see us try and try to do so. Better to fail trying than simply not trying at all.

1 minute ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Based on the position we echieved last season then if looking to go forward one would have ro be thinking of 2nd, i.e. small steps. Don't get me wrong, I know it won't be easy, but I'd like to see us try and try to do so. Better to fail trying than simply not trying at all.

So you think the club aren't trying to get better?

7 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

That's not tactics tho, that's just Rangers defenders playing well.

Our tactic isn't to play the ball back- that is not a tactic. If you think Bob said before the game- " right lads, lets pass the ball back today" then I'd say you were a fool.

Don’t know what game your watching Rangers defenders playing well yeah they strolled through the game under no pressure 

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

So you don't think the club aren't  trying to improve and you see finishing above the OF as a small step.

Utter nonsense.

Utter tripe.

portobellojambo1
11 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

So you think the club aren't trying to get better?

What I said  was more aimed at the comment in the post I originally responded to where I felt the poster was saying we are where we are and seemed to be accepting that. I don't know that the clubs thoughts/hopes are going forward, i hope to have a better idea after I attend a meeting Joe Savage will be at early next week

Edited by portobellojambo1

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, jamborich said:

Don’t know what game your watching Rangers defenders playing well yeah they strolled through the game under no pressure 

Anyway, I still don't know what tactics you disagree with. and left you shocked.

You seem to be confusing playing poorly with tactics.

I can't carry this discussion on- it's too painful.