***Official Heart of Midlothian v Rangers Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

Dusk_Till_Dawn
5 minutes ago, Bauld said:

If 3rd place, European group stages and Scottish cup finals is the farthest Neilson can take us on a regular basis.

Give him a 20 year contract. 

Because if that's the norm I'll take that every year. 

If we exceed those expectations some years it will mean trophies. So bring it on I say.

He will never exceed expectations. That’s the point.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Luckies1874

• Bazzas right boot

• pettigrewsstylist

• Hearts007

1 hour ago, Randy Marsh said:

I don't really see how this is an argument for having a pish TV deal given it's similar to the Dutch and Portuguese leagues etc.

Only that an uncompetitive league is a poor sporting product. There have, for example, been 5 different winners of the Dutch league and 4 different winners of the Portuguese league since the last time someone from outside the old firm won the Scottish Premier title.

7 minutes ago, Bauld said:

If 3rd place, European group stages and Scottish cup finals is the farthest Neilson can take us on a regular basis.

If we exceed those expectations some years it will mean trophies. So bring it on I say.

I hardly think we can even think about calling it the norm when he done it last season. Getting a bit ahead of yourself. Let’s see where we are come the end of the season before we get carried away. 

Just now, GinRummy said:

I hardly think we can even think about calling it the norm when he done it last season. Getting a bit ahead of yourself. Let’s see where we are come the end of the season before we get carried away. 

When he left us first time around we were 2nd in the table. I think having played a game more or something but the point stands.

Last season 3rd wasn't even a challenge. He coasted it. 

This season we started today in 3rd. We still look easily strong enough to finish there. Especially when we get players back from injury to shore up the defence.

I'm honestly not even remotely concerned about the table. Come May I know where we will be.

14 minutes ago, stirlo said:

I agree that the defending was poor and injuries are a significant part of the defensive issues. But I'm not sure I agree that before the second goal we were really doing very much in an attacking sense. Robbie says we were 'creating chances' but I'm struggling to think of a save that MacGregor had to make in that game. The reality is that we are still fairly lightweight in the attacking areas.

Agree. I think Robbie counts a chance as us getting a touch in the final third. Every game he says we creat chances and it’s nonsense. I think we had two shots at goal today. 

Granted we got into some good areas for

a cross or pull back in the first half and blew it. 

1 minute ago, Bauld said:

When he left us first time around we were 2nd in the table. I think having played a game more or something but the point stands.

Last season 3rd wasn't even a challenge. He coasted it. 

This season we started today in 3rd. We still look easily strong enough to finish there. Especially when we get players back from injury to shore up the defence.

I'm honestly not even remotely concerned about the table. Come May I know where we will be.

It’s not the norm. What he achieved last time was great. Where he got us last season was great. You can’t suggest third, cup finals and Europe are the norm though. 

7 minutes ago, Nelly Terraces said:

We lack quality all over the park & our decision making & defending are atrocious.

Don’t think you can really blame Neilson for todays latest fiasco, but honestly, with him in charge does anyone go to big games with any sense of excitement, anticipation or belief that ‘we can do this today’? I really never do, his record v the old firm is really poor & even v the wee team he fails to inspire. He’s the managerial equivalent of a middle lane driver. 

In Games against the old firm I only go through loyalty, I hope we play well, but in my mind I’ve already written off the chance of any points. Sometimes you get the odd treat of a win or draw, but rarely.

Just now, GinRummy said:

It’s not the norm. What he achieved last time was great. Where he got us last season was great. You can’t suggest third, cup finals and Europe are the norm though. 

I didn't.

I said if.

IF that is the farthest Neilson can take us and it is the norm then long may it continue. 

IF at the end of this season we aren't 3rd, therefore possibly not in Europe and our Scottish cup run has fallen flat.

I will also have questions to ask.

But right now there is actually no reason to question Neilson. We started today in 3rd. We have a chance to go beyond the groups in Europe......today was shit but we are a long way from a crisis.

Silvery_Moon
1 hour ago, Bongo 1874 said:

No he was stupid to think that the current management team , could achieve that.

Yep. Fair to say there is no chance of that.

I didn't.

I said if.

IF that is the farthest Neilson can take us and it is the norm then long may it continue. 

IF at the end of this season we aren't 3rd, therefore possibly not in Europe and our Scottish cup run has fallen flat.

I will also have questions to ask.

But right now there is actually no reason to question Neilson. We started today in 3rd. We have a chance to go beyond the groups in Europe......today was shit but we are a long way from a crisis.

Yeah I saw the if. Fans will always question the manager. Nothing wrong with that. Saying IF 3rd, cup finals and Europe is the norm you’d take it is just silly. We’d all take that but your talking about a situation that hasn’t even happened yet. 

39 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Like a lot of folk said at the start of the season as long as we are not too far off 3rd after the world cup break then we should be ok.

October is going to be grim and not for the easily upset.

There are 7 league games before the pause for the World Cup:

Kilmarnock, Aberdeen, Ross County and Rangers away.

Celtic, Motherwell and Livingston at home.

What's your prediction points wise as to how far off 3rd we will be after those matches? 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
18 minutes ago, Nelly Terraces said:

We lack quality all over the park & our decision making & defending are atrocious.

Don’t think you can really blame Neilson for todays latest fiasco, but honestly, with him in charge does anyone go to big games with any sense of excitement, anticipation or belief that ‘we can do this today’? I really never do, his record v the old firm is really poor & even v the wee team he fails to inspire. He’s the managerial equivalent of a middle lane driver. 

It’s like going through the motions with Neilson 

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Yeah I saw the if. Fans will always question the manager. Nothing wrong with that. Saying IF 3rd, cup finals and Europe is the norm you’d take it is just silly. We’d all take that but your talking about a situation that hasn’t even happened yet. 

It hasn't ever happened though. Not in my lifetime anyway.

In my lifetime we have had legends made, managers and players. None of them have done what Neilson and his team are now attempting to do. 

Taking just the league as an example. Check the records from 1989 to now and find me managers and teams that have finished 3rd two seasons in a row or more.

Something fans need to remember as well when they are mouthing off about the current team.

22 minutes ago, Nelly Terraces said:

A very well articulated assessment. Was Neilson to blame today? nah that would be silly to suggest. Was the lame effort to compete in a one off 90 minute match against better opposition symptomatic of his record in such fixtures? Yep absolutely. He is what he is. My hope is that we will aspire to more in the coming seasons. 

Just now, Bauld said:

In my lifetime we have had legends made, managers and players. None of them have done what Neilson and his team are now attempting to do. 

Taking just the league as an example. Check the records from 1989 to now and find me managers and teams that have finished 3rd two seasons in a row or more.

Something fans need to remember as well when they are mouthing off about the current team.

Levein, first time round.

3 minutes ago, Bauld said:

Football has changed massively. In the same way the Old Firm have huge advantages over us we similarly have considerable advantages over many of our competitors. Far more so than 20 or 30 years ago,.We damn well should be finishing 3rd or 4th every season in this league. 

Re this season Aberdeen look the biggest threat by far as they've signed front players better than ours. Hibs actually have a cushty run of fixtures and an additional league game before the break so I think both may well be above us going into the World Cup. The last minute goal at Fester really was a shocker from our point of view but guys like McKay wasted huge opportunities to put it to bed. 

Edited by Luckies1874

Just now, Bauld said:

Fans have always had a go at managers and players after a bad defeat. That was piss poor today. Let folk have their moan. As for Robbie attempting to consistently get to third, good start to it but even suggesting it’s going to become the norm is way premature, let alone Europe and cup finals. 

The Treasurer
1 minute ago, Luckies1874 said:

A very well articulated assessment. Was Neilson to blame today? nah that would be silly to suggest. Was the lame effort to compete in a one off 90 minute match against better opposition symptomatic of his record in such fixtures? Yep absolutely. He is what he is. My hope is that we will aspire to more in the coming seasons. 

Let me get this right. 

Neilson is not to blame for today but you blame Neilson for not winning games like today. 

Make up your mind 

21 minutes ago, Silverwolf said:

Only that an uncompetitive league is a poor sporting product. There have, for example, been 5 different winners of the Dutch league and 4 different winners of the Portuguese league since the last time someone from outside the old firm won the Scottish Premier title.

True. But IMO we would have had more winners if we had a similar set up to those leagues by having to play each other just twice.  We would have won the league in 97-98 for example. Different argument though.👍

Football has changed massively. In the same way the Old Firm have huge advantages over us we similarly have considerable advantages over many of our competitors. Far more so than 20 or 30 years ago,.We damn well should be finishing 3rd or 4th every season in this league. 

I agree. We should be. Which is why I have said I expect it to be the norm for us to finish 3rd. 

But history dictates that won't be an easy thing to accomplish regardless of how much football has changed.

We as a club have also changed. We are working to a tight budget that is kept within our means to afford. Which doesn't leave a big margin for error. Clubs like Aberdeen will throw money around above what they can afford to try and stop us.

2 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Let me get this right. 

Neilson is not to blame for today but you blame Neilson for not winning games like today. 

Make up your mind 

I guess that was a little above your understanding. I'm not blaming Neilson for today's result in isolation but it's entirely indicative of the shite we watch in big matches under him. 

The Treasurer

I guess that was a little above your understanding. I'm not blaming Neilson for today's result in isolation but it's entirely indicative of the shite we watch in big matches under him. 

So I was right in thinking what you said. 

Ok 

Jambof3tornado
46 minutes ago, sac said:

Referee is a ^^^^, until we get refs that stand up to the OF we’re always f*****.
VAR won’t make any difference as the guy upstairs will be a ^^^^ as well

The ref isn't even in the top 10 issues from today, in fact he gave a free kick for a foul on gordon and chalked off a good goal.

Chillidigits
25 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Sometimes people do have to be harsh though, unless like you seem to suggest we. as Hearts fans should vastly reduce our thoughts and resign ourselves to  being the best of the rest of the shit. Lets make no bones about today we were chronically woeful at times, the opposition just had to be seen to perform at the very bare minimum to win that game today. We have to consider other aspects in terms of recruitment, both on the playing side and the management side, and consider carefully how we spend cash on players we need, and it rhe manager is the right person to potentially take us forward (we can all have opinions and mine has always been that when the present manager chose to walk out on the club last time round he should not have been re-employed, we should have started looking about at that stage.   It might be cruel to say but I don't really think finishing third last season was a great achievement, we were the best of the rest, where the rest were all shit. But as you say if Hearts fans are happy to just be the best of a load of shit then so be it.

Just out of curiosity if we do within the constraints of our budget improve our recruitment and management, what league position would you expect us to achieve ?

I agree. We should be. Which is why I have said I expect it to be the norm for us to finish 3rd. 

But history dictates that won't be an easy thing to accomplish regardless of how much football has changed.

We as a club have also changed. We are working to a tight budget that is kept within our means to afford. Which doesn't leave a big margin for error. Clubs like Aberdeen will throw money around above what they can afford to try and stop us.

This summer was clearly a time to push the boat out. This quality over quantity sentiment is wide open to debate right now given what we are witnessing. We didn't do that and they have arguably, certainly in the final 3rd out manoeuvred us in respect to signings. They have signed a couple of goalscorers whilst we have signed Shankland alone up front (zero signs Humphrys will score any goals), a player who is revered by some but who for me the jury his still massively out on.

I actually agree that we will still be 3rd but we are going to give ourselves a lot more work to do than last season. 

5 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

True. But IMO we would have had more winners if we had a similar set up to those leagues by having to play each other just twice.  We would have won the league in 97-98 for example. Different argument though.👍

Your previous observation made me curious so I went and checked a number of European leagues from countries of not dissimilar scale and cannot find any that have a dominant duopoly for 40 years or so in that same way Scotland has.

Can still watch match of the day I suppose.

This summer was clearly a time to push the boat out. This quality over quantity sentiment is wide open to debate right now given what we are witnessing. We didn't do that and they have arguably, certainly in the final 3rd out manoeuvred us in respect to signings. They have signed a couple of goalscorers whilst we have signed Shankland alone up front (zero signs Humphrys will score any goals), a player who is revered by some but who for me the jury his still massively out on.

I actually agree that we will still be 3rd but we are going to give ourselves a lot more work to do than last season. 

I might be wrong but we did increase our squad size.

There's no point in adding to the squad if the players available aren't good enough. There's no point in spending wages on just making up numbers for the hell of it.

It's a process. Next season we will probably increase a little again and keep building.

We aren't looking for a sprint finish. It's a long process that will carry on for years.

Sometimes it will work well. Other times we will hit a few road blocks if the players don't quite work out, injuries hold us back etc. You can never guarantee anything.

But I'm still seeing progress. There's gaps to fill and things that need work but I'd rather we waited to get it right rather than doing anything stupid and panicking. 

37 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

He will never exceed expectations. That’s the point.

How do you exceed expectations when the next step requires tens of millions of pounds.

If the expectations are 3rd then it would be good to do that a few seasons in a row before expecting more.

53 minutes ago, sac said:

Devlin was always heading for at least one or two yellows today, could see it coming.

But McLean is still a bias ref.

Get a grip. It was a red. Idiotic challenge 

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

Agree re Devlin, Atkinson, Kio and especially Cochrane who will be a target for Fiorentina.  He's too small and like Smith far too slow in closing down opponents.  Both seem to prefer to backtrack allowing their man to get nearer and nearer to better shooting positions.

Gordon was poor today and not entirely surprising given the week he's had,

Humphrys was easily our best player and if this game alone was somehow taken as a true measure of ability then I suggest Joe should forget the Aussie market and just see who else sits on the Wigan bench.

Humphrys obviously never got the memo that we routinely shite our load against Rangers and Celtic. He clearly had the beating of Barasic, particularly in a foot race. 

Just more utter shite in a big game under this management team. Expect nothing in these games under Neilson and you won't be disappointed. McGregor never had a single save to make.

We've added players between January and the summer and a number have major question marks over them. Sibbick, Grant & Atkinson in particular. Shankland offers absolutely nothing in general play. His attempts to challenge for an aerial ball are beyond pitiful. Humphrys looks to have far more about him than Shankland.

Absolutely ****ing pathetic performance.

Fozzyonthefence
26 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

There are 7 league games before the pause for the World Cup:

Kilmarnock, Aberdeen, Ross County and Rangers away.

Celtic, Motherwell and Livingston at home.

What's your prediction points wise as to how far off 3rd we will be after those matches? 

We’ll take 8 or 9 points maximum from these 7 games.  If Aberdeen or someone else can go on a run or pick up even 5 wins in their next 7 we’ll be in a bit of bother for 3rd place.  That could hopefully be a big off, although I can’t be arsed checking everyone else’s next 7 fixtures. 

Always comes back to Neilson on here. Folk can't just comment on the game.  the fact Kingsley was awful today, McKay was again missing in a big match, why bother start him? Neilson has talent but can't header the ball, which is a glaring flaw in the SPFL.

We tried to get forward until the 2nd goal but they are better all over the park as they should be

Bazzas right boot
55 minutes ago, stirlo said:

I agree that the defending was poor and injuries are a significant part of the defensive issues. But I'm not sure I agree that before the second goal we were really doing very much in an attacking sense. Robbie says we were 'creating chances' but I'm struggling to think of a save that MacGregor had to make in that game. The reality is that we are still fairly lightweight in the attacking areas.

We got behind them a couple of times, had blocked shots and forced corners. 

Hardly peppering their goal but imo we looked dangerous. 

Today wasn’t on Neilson. It was on Devlin and injuries. If we had Halkett and Rowles and that areshole never got himself sent off we would of had a chance

Fozzyonthefence
7 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

How do you exceed expectations when the next step requires tens of millions of pounds.

If the expectations are 3rd then it would be good to do that a few seasons in a row before expecting more.

Did it cost St Johnstone tens of millions to win 2 cups? 

7 minutes ago, Bauld said:

I might be wrong but we did increase our squad size.

There's no point in adding to the squad if the players available aren't good enough. There's no point in spending wages on just making up numbers for the hell of it.

It's a process. Next season we will probably increase a little again and keep building.

We aren't looking for a sprint finish. It's a long process that will carry on for years.

Sometimes it will work well. Other times we will hit a few road blocks if the players don't quite work out, injuries hold us back etc. You can never guarantee anything.

But I'm still seeing progress. There's gaps to fill and things that need work but I'd rather we waited to get it right rather than doing anything stupid and panicking. 

With everybody fit last season V everybody fit this season we haven’t improved our best 11. We have added some good prospects and some competition for places but with Neilson and Savage banging on about quality over quantity all close season I’m not jumping hoops. 

1 minute ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Did it cost St Johnstone tens of millions to win 2 cups? 

No, it took empty stadiums and not being drawn against the OF. 

Do you think St Johnstone have a miracle solution to winning cups, or do you think luck and circumstances lead to that 

44 minutes ago, Bauld said:

Exactly, we all get annoyed when we lose so I think most of this is just frustration - after the game against Zurich at home I was raging. 

We consider ourselves the 3rd biggest club in Scotland, but our results over the piece don't really lend ourselves to that. We have the potential and supporter base to be that, but we've either had idiots running the club, or managing the team, so that potential is so rarely actually unlocked. Finally, under Budge and the Foundation, we have smart competent people that care about the club and a solid management team running the football side of the club. This a great chance to really kick on and assert some dominance and control over 3rd. 

Robbie has taken us to 2 Scottish cup finals, and 2 promotions. He's also finished 3rd both times he's managed us in the top flight. THIS IS GOOD!!! I don't want to risk swapping that out for another Levein, or Cathro type. My feeling is that there is harmony at the club in that the players work well with the manager, who works well with the sporting director who works well with the board, who work well with the business side of the club. 

If the club can keep going in this direction, we'll have a hotel contributing to our turnover and hopefully increasing our playing budget alongside jaunts into Europe bringing in 7 figures. Over a period that will improve things. 

Fozzyonthefence
1 minute ago, jambopilms said:

Always comes back to Neilson on here. Folk can't just comment on the game.  the fact Kingsley was awful today, McKay was again missing in a big match, why bother start him? Neilson has talent but can't header the ball, which is a glaring flaw in the SPFL.

We tried to get forward until the 2nd goal but they are better all over the park as they should be

You’re saying why bother start MacKay but it was Neilson that decided to even though though he never turns up in the big games. 

Then you’re saying we have a CB that can’t header the ball.  As you say, a major flaw but who’s picking him? 

So yes, it does always come back to the manager, win, lose or draw.  That’s football. 

4 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

You’re saying why bother start MacKay but it was Neilson that decided to even though though he never turns up in the big games. 

Then you’re saying we have a CB that can’t header the ball.  As you say, a major flaw but who’s picking him? 

So yes, it does always come back to the manager, win, lose or draw.  That’s football. 

It's not football, it's mentalists on KB. 

Players have a bad game, it Neilson fault. Devlin gets a red card, who picked him though.

Fozzyonthefence
5 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

It's not football, it's mentalists on KB. 

Players have a bad game, it Neilson fault. Devlin gets a red card, who picked him though.

But you just highlighted 2 major flaws in 2 of our players.  Then absolve the manager of any blame for picking a guy that doesn’t turn up in big games and a CB that you say can’t header a ball.  Contradicting your own argument there aren’t you?  Fair enough about Devlin, that was poor decision making by the player, but for the other two you seem to be questioning whether they should have started today.  There’s only one man who makes that decision and the buck always stops with the manager at any club.  That is football whether you like it or not.

Edited by Fozzyonthefence

3 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

We’ll take 8 or 9 points maximum from these 7 games.  If Aberdeen or someone else can go on a run or pick up even 5 wins in their next 7 we’ll be in a bit of bother for 3rd place.  That could hopefully be a big off, although I can’t be arsed checking everyone else’s next 7 fixtures. 

I think the 2 home games at the back end of them will be critical in getting us back into a challenging position. The Ross County away game will be an interesting one as Aberdeen and Hibs have now both one there this season. I'd take a draw at Pittodrie as I believe they are by far the biggest challenge to 3rd though despite how shite they were against us and our failure to put them away, Hibs could conceivably end up in the mix too and looking at their fixtures there is every chance they could be ahead of us at the WC break. They have an extra game too as they rescheduled the game canceled by the Queen's death. All about hanging in for us at the moment as our fixtures are far kinder come the resumption. 

Hearts (13 pts)

Kilmarnock (A)

Aberdeen (A)

Celtic (H) 

Ross County (A)

Motherwell (H)

Rangers (A) 

Livingston (H)

Hibs (14pts)

Motherwell (H) 

D. Utd (A)

Celtic (A) 

St. Johnstone (H)

St. Mirren (H)

Aberdeen (A)

Ross County (H)

Kilmarnock (A)

Aberdeen (13pts)

D. Utd (A)

Hearts (H)

Motherwell (A)

Rangers (A)

Hibs (H)

Livingston (A)
D.Utd (H)

Ex member of the SaS

Managed to catch the first 15 minutes or so and thought YES today we will give them a game. The first goal was seriously poor defending and something we should not be seeing with this squad. Do I blame Robbie for today's result, No because no matter how well we played, staying above them was never on the cards as no ref in this league would allow that. Devlin made it too easy for them. Having said that St Mirren did in Celtic so there is no reason why we can't compete with Sevco and really should be doing better with this squad. Hopefully back to full strength and new guys bedded in and we should be able to get results against them at home ( refs permitting ) 

Just now, Fozzyonthefence said:

But you just highlighted 2 major flaws in 2 of our players.  Then absolve the manager of any blame for picking a guy that doesn’t turn up in big games and a CB that you say can’t header a ball.  Contradicting your own argument there aren’t you?  Fair enough about Devlin, that was poor decision making l, but for the other two you seem to be questioning whether they should have started today.  There’s only one man who makes that decision and the buck always stops with the manager at any club.  That is football whether you like it or not.

Ok fair point , didn't argue my case we'll there. Just get fed up of the sack the manager, taken us as far as he can after getting a beating off a far superior team.

The one thing I blame Neilson for is not signing an adequate replacement for Halkett, our form was awful last season without him and it should ha e been addressed.

gorgierulesapply88
3 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Our throw ins are getting right on my tits.

Neilson had one of the longest throws I've seen outside delap who was at Stoke. Make use of it?