***Official Heart of Midlothian vs FC Zurich Match Thread - live on BBC Scotland ***

tartofmidlothian

32 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

At least have the decency to post a pic. 😉

andress-dr-no-bikini_690.jpg

Ps ... I well remember seeing Ursula Andress live on stage in Munich in 1976 performing an avante garde piano piece.

In my age bracket and still looking good. 🤭

https://g.co/kgs/gA3LF7

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Pasquale for King

• iantjambo

• Geoff Kilpatrick

28 minutes ago, iainmac said:

When I was in Basel (not last week!) my Swiss friends told me that the Germans invented Cuckoo Clocks and they wanted nothing to do with them.

They also told me that they ordered their takeaways from Germany as they delivered faster and were better VFM.

German efficiency eh. 

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

German efficiency eh. 

I can certainly vouch for it on their trains. Every one ran like........clockwork! 😄

Good memories of Switzerland from when I was a kid ………. stopped off in the Alls a couple of times when on a coach holiday , really can not describe how beautiful it is and photos do not do it proper justice 

Ricardo Quaresma
28 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

Currently on holiday in Salou (took a gamble & obviously the home leg falls on the Thursday I’m away 😤) anyone know of anywhere that would show the game on Thursday? Cheers

Wear the Fox Hat

4 hours ago, iainmac said:

I can certainly vouch for it on their trains. Every one ran like........clockwork! 😄

Unlike French trains where I was very nearly brained,and you nearly lost yer ability to do things with your right hand 😁

10 minutes ago, Towzer said:

Unlike French trains where I was very nearly brained,and you nearly lost yer ability to do things with your right hand 😁

We both survived pal, that's the main thing.  😃

Gordon

Smith Rowles Kingsley Cochrane

Haring Devlin

Forrest Grant McKay

Shankland

9 hours ago, japanjambo said:

Atkinson looked like a different player against Celtic. Vast improvement. Think he will start on thursday. 

Hope you are wrong. It’s not worth the risk. I agree he played better against Celtic, but as we saw with the RC game as well as Zurich when he is bad he is really bad.

1 hour ago, gnasher75 said:

Gordon

Smith Rowles Kingsley Cochrane

Haring Devlin

Forrest Grant McKay

Shankland

I suspect it might be this with Boyce able to come on to partner shankland if we are pushing for a goal 

Cory McNamara

Lawrence Shankland

Alan Forrest - Liam Boyce - Barrie McKay

Jorge Grant - Peter Haring; 

Andy Halliday - Kye Rowles - Stephen Kingsley - Michael Smith; 

Craig Gordon

chuck berrys hairline
51 minutes ago, McCrae said:

Hope you are wrong. It’s not worth the risk. I agree he played better against Celtic, but as we saw with the RC game as well as Zurich when he is bad he is really bad.

Give the laddie a full season he could be a slow burner like Halkett

How do those of you who go to games rate Grant?  From the match reports I read he doesn't seem to get much of a mention.

What would you say are his strengths?

14 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

How do those of you who go to games rate Grant?  From the match reports I read he doesn't seem to get much of a mention.

IMO Very good looking when used as AM. Very average when used as a DM. We kinda knew that before he came though.

Arthur Morgan
39 minutes ago, Cory McNamara said:

Lawrence Shankland

Alan Forrest - Liam Boyce - Barrie McKay

Jorge Grant - Peter Haring; 

Andy Halliday - Kye Rowles - Stephen Kingsley - Michael Smith; 

Craig Gordon

Why Halliday at LB?

Seaside Dave
7 hours ago, boag1874 said:

Currently on holiday in Salou (took a gamble & obviously the home leg falls on the Thursday I’m away 😤) anyone know of anywhere that would show the game on Thursday? Cheers

Download BBC iPlayer change location to Scotland and use your 4g network as WiFi won't work 

Cory McNamara
12 minutes ago, Arthur Morgan said:

Why Halliday at LB?

He is one of the most experienced players. He can play as LB, this is not a problem. Jorge Grant is a player with a more attacking mindset. Alex Cochrane is just 22 years old and he didn't look that great so far, Kye Rowles - 24, we watch how he's doing his first steps in Scottish & international football. I don't think it's a great idea to keep them together at this stage. We need to score one goal as fast as possible, then we have to score another one or two. Our defense should be much better. 

3 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Just wondering and nothing wrong with that mate

Are you familiar with a lot of the UEFA referees ?

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Nothing changes my mind here.

If we get through over two legs over Zurich it will have been one of our best results in European games (its all relative). Technically rather than commercially.

I am not being downbeat. I think we have a chance but they look mental on the counter attack. Our defence has already shown it can’t cope so we need to be on it in defence and attack. 

Big ask. Achievable but big ask.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

44 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Nothing changes my mind here.

If we get through over two legs over Zurich it will have been one of our best results in European games (its all relative). Technically rather than commercially.

I am not being downbeat. I think we have a chance but they look mental on the counter attack. Our defence has already shown it can’t cope so we need to be on it in defence and attack. 

Big ask. Achievable but big ask.

And that’s the worrying thing for me. you have to assume they’re not going to come here all timid trying to hold a slim lead. They might be thinking if they get one, we’re not going to get 3 to win the tie. For me their best approach is have a go early, get a goal, take the crowd out of the equation and slow it right down to cruise through.

We’ve got to make sure they are right on the back foot from kick off. We really have to score first I think. If we do that then we’ll see if they can cope with a cauldron. 

They’ll have a go at some point, either to kill the tie early or recover it if it’s not going their way.

Id love to see us sweep them aside in a sea of noise but they’ve got a few old heads in the team and maybe a bit too street wise to crumble.

Its intriguing, like a chess match, but it’s also an exciting prospect for potentially A great night for us if we defend well and score first. They score first and it’s probably beyond us I’d say.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

And that’s the worrying thing for me. you have to assume they’re not going to come here all timid trying to hold a slim lead. They might be thinking if they get one, we’re not going to get 3 to win the tie. For me their best approach is have a go early, get a goal, take the crowd out of the equation and slow it right down to cruise through.

We’ve got to make sure they are right on the back foot from kick off. We really have to score first I think. If we do that then we’ll see if they can cope with a cauldron. 

They’ll have a go at some point, either to kill the tie early or recover it if it’s not going their way.

Id love to see us sweep them aside in a sea of noise but they’ve got a few old heads in the team and maybe a bit too street wise to crumble.

Its intriguing, like a chess match, but it’s also an exciting prospect for potentially A great night for us if we defend well and score first. They score first and it’s probably beyond us I’d say.

They are more streetwise than us. I don’t think that is up for debate.

They have also shown that a 31 and 36 year old can bring proper quality to a team.

To be fair to Robbie he said they’d be looking for a couple of late 20s/early 30s players for the first team this window so I guess we wait and see.

For how it has gone so far it would seem we are stuck with 30 somethings who will be released by their current club.

8 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

They are more streetwise than us. I don’t think that is up for debate.

They have also shown that a 31 and 36 year old can bring proper quality to a team.

To be fair to Robbie he said they’d be looking for a couple of late 20s/early 30s players for the first team this window so I guess we wait and see.

For how it has gone so far it would seem we are stuck with 30 somethings who will be released by their current club.

I think this whole ‘experienced’ couple of players thing has been tossed if I’m honest. Could be wrong of course but it’s too late for this tie anyway which is a mistake IMO.

I can see us getting 2-3 decent early to mid 20’s in. Players with potential sell on value but one thing we did need that we haven’t got, outwith positional stuff, is leadership. We needed a figure who knows the game, commands respect and kicks arses, as well as leading by example with key performances. Someone you know is going to step in and steady the ship when things are drifting a bit. I don’t like Gordon being captain. First of all he’s a goalkeeper and secondly he’s not a leader. He’s a great keeper obviously but captain ? Not for me.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
9 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I think this whole ‘experienced’ couple of players thing has been tossed if I’m honest. Could be wrong of course but it’s too late for this tie anyway which is a mistake IMO.

I can see us getting 2-3 decent early to mid 20’s in. Players with potential sell on value but one thing we did need that we haven’t got, outwith positional stuff, is leadership. We needed a figure who knows the game, commands respect and kicks arses, as well as leading by example with key performances. Someone you know is going to step in and steady the ship when things are drifting a bit. I don’t like Gordon being captain. First of all he’s a goalkeeper and secondly he’s not a leader. He’s a great keeper obviously but captain ? Not for me.

Totally agree actually.

We are missing out on a key on pitch/in the ref’s ear influence by not having our captain as one of the outfield players.

I think we have already missed out on key decisions this season because of this.

We need our captain to be in the ref’s ear. Weir, Elvis etc style.

We need to get at them early, but we also need to stay secure as they look to counter, we looked very disorganised as the game progressed last time. If it is a back four with Smith and Cochrane wide, the sitting midfielders can slot in should either WB  move forward retaining the four at all times, basic stuff really. The likes of Devlin and Haring pose very little threat attacking wise anyway, whereas the wing backs can be very effective. Keep that four and we have more than enough to take us through.

Ricardo Quaresma

We gave them their 2 goals; they never scored outwith that period where we were all at sea

Nothing in the second half

They had nothing before or after this period; they will be frustrated when this is the case again

Bazzas right boot
8 hours ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

He Needs to burn slowly on loan then. 

Anyone after a spare ticket Questions in Hamilton has one.

Apparently one arrived through the post and another direct from the ticket office.

Strange but true.

Hes such a generous feller I’m sure he wouldn’t mind selling one.

Bazzas right boot
32 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

We gave them their 2 goals; they never scored outwith that period where we were all at sea

Nothing in the second half

They had nothing before or after this period; they will be frustrated when this is the case again

They had a few free headers and a 1v 1 with Gordon in the second half. 

You must have blinked a fair few times,  they certainly created. 

Ricardo Quaresma
Just now, Bazzas right boot said:

They had a few free headers and a 1v 1 with Gordon in the second half. 

You must have blinked a fair few times,  they certainly created. 

I know, but we are pretty good with these situations, well, Craig is...

Too much worrying about Zurich on this thread.  They are a million miles away from being world beaters.  We play this hard and smart much like any home SPL match.  Let them worry about us.

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

I know, but we are pretty good with these situations, well, Craig is...

The amount of headers they won concerned me the mos,  both from open play and set pieces. 

Ricardo Quaresma
12 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

The amount of headers they won concerned me the mos,  both from open play and set pieces. 

Well, hopefully we can keep it on the deck a bit more

Not a fan of using the 3rd dimension, it's a lot easier to lose the ball

Of course, not always got the choice, but keeping aerial balls down a bit, until a good, simple opportunity arises, is my preference

Pasquale for King

Gordon 

Cochrane

Rowles

Kingsley

Smith

Atkinson

Haring

Devlin

McKay

Shankland

Boyce

I think this will be the team he starts with. 

34 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Gordon 

Cochrane

Rowles

Kingsley

Smith

Atkinson

Haring

Devlin

McKay

Shankland

Boyce

I think this will be the team he starts with. 

Is Halkett definitely out?

John Findlay
16 hours ago, boag1874 said:

Plenty boozers in Salou that will show it. Same boozers that will be showing the Sevco game the night. They will be advertising.

Good result for them in the Swiss Cup away from home would suggest they'll have a bit more confidence with 2 wins in a row and 6 goals scored overall. 

We'll need to be careful.

Screenshot_20220824-094350_Samsung Internet.jpg

9 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

I've quite liked him to be honest.  Been impressed by how much he gets stuck in - no shrinking violet*, and his intricate play is good, tries to be positive and will play with an element of risk to break the midfield - 1-2s etc.  Perhaps could be more involved is what I'd say, slightly on the periphery but then we're talking a derby and away in Europe being his main big days in the team so not easy to get a midfield foothold.

Good addition imo.  Covers 3 positions potentially too in CM, 10 and wide

*He won't boss it physically and it's mostly a flying in to tackles type thing, rather than real strength like Pete or even natual ball winning like Dev, or mixture like Beni, but he doesn't back down which is good to see from what I'd call a ball player.

1 minute ago, Bauld said:

Good result for them in the Swiss Cup away from home would suggest they'll have a bit more confidence with 2 wins in a row and 6 goals scored overall. 

We'll need to be careful.

Screenshot_20220824-094350_Samsung Internet.jpg

TBH, the home team are total imposers so wouldn't read much in to it

The Black Prince
10 hours ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

Atkinson was an excellent RB/RWB for Melb City in the A League. However, they were the strongest team in the league and perhaps he wasn't put under a heap of defensive pressure - always looked great going forward, and did well enough to get onto the fringe of the Oz NT - has played a couple of games and had a bit of shocker in one of them... did pretty well in his last game (against Peru, who are no slouches).

As I've said before (regarding Kye Rowles), it's very difficult to compare the AL with the SPL because the AL is played in summer (mainly at night) but it's still very hot and games are therefore somewhat slower than Scotland. Rowles seems to have adapted very quickly (as I expected he would) and will potentially be regarded as the best CB in Scotland by the end of the season. 

Atkinson, however, is taking longer to adapt to the faster pace but I also wonder whether he's simply unused to having to dig in because he played for the best and most dominant team in Oz.

He definitely has the talent, but I suspect he's finding the SPL harder than he expected. He's done well against a decent South American team so he can obviously play. Give him time to learn the position when it's under pressure, rather than just strolling forward.

46 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

TBH, the home team are total imposers so wouldn't read much in to it

I'm just looking at it from a confidence building point of view.

Stendelnator
8 minutes ago, Bauld said:

They played an entirely different starting XI as well 

6 minutes ago, The Black Prince said:

Atkinson was an excellent RB/RWB for Melb City in the A League. However, they were the strongest team in the league and perhaps he wasn't put under a heap of defensive pressure - always looked great going forward, and did well enough to get onto the fringe of the Oz NT - has played a couple of games and had a bit of shocker in one of them... did pretty well in his last game (against Peru, who are no slouches).

As I've said before (regarding Kye Rowles), it's very difficult to compare the AL with the SPL because the AL is played in summer (mainly at night) but it's still very hot and games are therefore somewhat slower than Scotland. Rowles seems to have adapted very quickly (as I expected he would) and will potentially be regarded as the best CB in Scotland by the end of the season. 

Atkinson, however, is taking longer to adapt to the faster pace but I also wonder whether he's simply unused to having to dig in because he played for the best and most dominant team in Oz.

He definitely has the talent, but I suspect he's finding the SPL harder than he expected. He's done well against a decent South American team so he can obviously play. Give him time to learn the position when it's under pressure, rather than just strolling forward.

Yep sensible post and I like the insight.

Natty seems to me to somewhat overthink what he does at the moment.  Almost trying too hard if that makes sense and you end up doing the harder thing a lot in those situations.  He needs to simplify his game at least for the time being.  Use his strength of speed, really concentrate of positioning and simplistic defending, and when on the ball take less touches.  Have options A, B and C and use them.  Alex does all of that on the other side with good success.

Natty has more in the tank than this, but he needs to strip it back for now is how I kinda feel about the boy.

He's been very far from a distaster, and like Toby, what I like about our guys who are perhaps struggling a little, is that unlike previous players who were downright flops, it's not for a lack of trying, they're still very likeable and other than the real squealers I think everyone is really willing them to do well.  Much better feels about our squad these days without a doubt

11 minutes ago, Bauld said:

Yeah, my post was just a cham->sham->imposter type thing tbh!

13 hours ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

Halkett wasn’t a slow burner, prior to coming to us he had an exceptional period with Livingston. Atkinson is a very different proposition. Some of his weaknesses such as positioning could be worked on. Others such as his first touch and decision making are very difficult to improve at this stage in his career.  Can’t see him being at the club beyond this season.