***Official Heart of Midlothian vs FC Zurich Match Thread - live on BBC Scotland ***

tartofmidlothian

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Pasquale for King

• iantjambo

• Geoff Kilpatrick

Dick Dastardly
47 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

to be fair that could just as easily describe me...

I bet your fine art collection isn't as good though

Team i came up with on the BBC selector was

Gordon

Smith Rowles Kingsley Cochrane

Devlin   Haring

Forrest   Grant   Mckay

Shankland

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, HMFC01 said:

That just means they think they'll win extratime or penalties.    They underestimate our squad depth.    We do have some weakness if we are forced to make subs.    Hopefully it doesn't come to that. 

No it doesn’t.  If it goes to extra time or penalties then the odds will be almost identical for both teams given they are almost the same to win in 90 minutes (and away goals don’t count). It just reflects that Zurich are already 2-1 up and there is also a good chance of a draw which is all they need. They’re favourites to win the tie but the bookies really aren’t sure about the 90 minutes. 

Edited by Fozzyonthefence

Dick Dastardly
21 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

That line-up would worry me. Sibbick in a back three with Atkinson in front of him cost us at least one goal and left us vulnerable several times in the first leg. 

Gordon

Smith     Sibbick    Rowles   Kingsley

Devlin   Grant    Cochrane 

McKay 

Forrest       Shankland     

With Boyce, Ginnelly, GMS and Atkinson on the bench there's plenty of attacking combinations to introduce as the game progresses.  

My formation is more what i think we will start with than what i would prefer. 

Yours looks a better one,  although i would have Forrest back along side McKay and Shankland up on his own.  

Absolute Scenes
22 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

Gordon

Devlin   Haring

Forrest   Grant   Mckay

Shankland

that's the team

No real weak links in there and pretty much the strongest starting 11 we have (minus Halkett and Beni obviously)

Once grant tires, bring on Boyce to cause havoc and pull defenders out. 

hereford_hearts

I'm lucky enough to be in Edinburgh for the game, but couldn't get a ticket. Was going to go and watch the game in the Spice Lounge, but any better recommendations for a pub in the corstorphine area with Jambos watching? 

10 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

that's the team

No real weak links in there and pretty much the strongest starting 11 we have (minus Halkett and Beni obviously)

Once grant tires, bring on Boyce to cause havoc and pull defenders out. 

Agreed, I'd have Smith, Forrest and Grant emptying the tank in the first hour with Atkinson, Ginelly and Boyce doing the same for the last 30

35 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

Gordon

Devlin   Haring

Forrest   Grant   Mckay

Shankland

Like the look of that.... unfortunately for Boycie, I think that's Grants best position👍

Absolute Scenes
2 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Agreed, I'd have Smith, Forrest and Grant emptying the tank in the first hour with Atkinson, Ginelly and Boyce doing the same for the last 30

i'd even be tempted to start Gino ahead of forrest, given he's done okay the past few games and might do his confidence some good. Either way gid oapshuns 

Absolute Scenes
2 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Like the look of that.... unfortunately for Boycie, I think that's Grants best position👍

grant is also quicker at moving the ball than Boyce is so i think given that we will try and start the game fast and get at them, its probably better for him to come on as a cool head later on. 

pettigrewsstylist
38 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

Gordon

Devlin   Haring

Forrest   Grant   Mckay

Shankland

Think it could be close. Boyce and Grant will both feature at some point  if game goes to plan i suspect. 

40 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

No it doesn’t.  If it goes to extra time or penalties then the odds will be almost identical for both teams given they are almost the same to win in 90 minutes (and away goals don’t count). It just reflects that Zurich are already 2-1 up and there is also a good chance of a draw which is all they need. They’re favourites to win the tie but the bookies really aren’t sure about the 90 minutes. 

The op had me thinking slight favourites was better than evens.    We're not slight favourites now so the odds on them qualifying is definitely in their favour based on their goal.   It will change in play obviously if we score first.    Anything can change the odds during the game.   Hearts scoring first or a red card for them.   I'm not bothered either way. 

The Black Prince

Any streams?

Very interested in this game. I think Hearts will just manage it but wouldn't be surprised if it goes to penalties.

2 minutes ago, The Black Prince said:

Any streams?

Very interested in this game. I think Hearts will just manage it but wouldn't be surprised if it goes to penalties.

It's on BBC Scotland, so will be available through iPlayer.

Geoff Kilpatrick
4 minutes ago, The Black Prince said:

Any streams?

Subscribe to Hearts.tv on the club website.

31 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Yeah, I'd be tempted to start with Boyce as he gives us a physical foothold in the game too - you know he's going to get torn in about it... But then I do like in a big game to have big players on the bench.  Grant and Gino off the bench still ain't bad... especially if the game stetches

A plus on Grant's side starting could be set pieces being a decider.  If he can hit the spot on corners or wide freekicks, may be enough to edge him above Boyce I guess

indianajones

Quick question for anyone that can help.... 

Stuck on the West Coast and the tv is a very old Samsung. Appears to have some form of freeview on it but does not have BBC Scotland listed on the channels. It does have BBC One Scotland which isn't the same and is listing Masterchef at 2000.

Is BBC Scotland just not available on some older TVs? I might have to resort to watching it on a phone. 

Hope we go with 4 at the back so we don't see Atkinson or Sibbick.

Who gets the first goal will decide it for me. If they score first the the atmosphere will be flat and they can hit on the break, if we score first it will be rocking and hopefully they fall apart.

2-0 either way.

2 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Stuck on the West Coast and the tv is a very old Samsung. Appears to have some form of freeview on it but does not have BBC Scotland listed on the channels. It does have BBC One Scotland which isn't the same and is listing Masterchef at 2000.

Is BBC Scotland just not available on some older TVs? I might have to resort to watching it on a phone. 

Shouldn't matter about the tv I don't think. If it gets BBC1 it should get BBC Scotland. Try retuning it?

3 minutes ago, indianajones said:

If you receive FREEVIEW, BBc Scotland should be available. It may be that you just need to 'Auto-tune' the TV to pick up the channels👍

1 hour ago, TexasAndy said:

Gordon

Devlin   Haring

Forrest   Grant   Mckay

Shankland

This for me too.

Part of me would rather Boyce from the start but he’s an excellent option from the bench. Going back to the Hibs game the other week I couldn’t help but think we lacked quality attacking options from the bench because we had played them all from the start. Leaving Boyce out from the start gives us that ability to change things later in the game if we need a goal.

AlphonseCapone
2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Might not be able to make it up the back for instance. 

I'd give that benefit of the doubt to 99.9% of posters asking that questions. Less so that one. 

51 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Again, into these neutral arseholes. 

Neutral is a bit of a myth tbh. If someone is leathering someone and you wander over and pick up their wallet, take some money then I'd argue you weren't neutral, just sleekit. Them and the Swedes done alright financially out of WW2. 

indianajones
8 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Shouldn't matter about the tv I don't think. If it gets BBC1 it should get BBC Scotland. Try retuning it?

6 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

If you receive FREEVIEW, BBc Scotland should be available. It may be that you just need to 'Auto-tune' the TV to pick up the channels👍

Cheers guys. Will have a look to see if I can tune this relic. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Based on Sunday changes, I reckon we will go with 4's and 2 in middle, defence is poor maybe be a 3 becoming a 4 in transitions. We like a shuffle around, I think he believes those are his best 10 along with CG of course at this moment in time

Devlin Haring

Forrest Boyce Mckay Shankland

Ferryjambo99

The fireworks thing is just trying to copy ranger fans who've been doing it recently. Doesn't make any difference to the football, totally pointless.

Doing it outside the wrong hotel doesn't exactly help either

Sub4TiddlerMurray
4 minutes ago, Ferryjambo99 said:

The fireworks thing is just trying to copy ranger fans who've been doing it recently. Doesn't make any difference to the football, totally pointless.

Doing it outside the wrong hotel doesn't exactly help either

Rangers didn't invent fireworks at football matches....Fireworks Phil did!

StirlingJambo

Hoping for 

Gordon

Grant    Haring

Forrest.        McKay       Gino

Shankland 

It's a minor point but I'm seeing a lot of people putting Rowles at RCB and Kingsley LCB. I expect it'll be the other way around going by how we lined up in the last 20 minutes last week.

chuck berrys hairline
34 minutes ago, salvo69 said:

Just bumped into Goncalves in the hearts store…he’s a nicely man 

Did he shepard you out?

The Treasurer
1 hour ago, hereford_hearts said:

I'm lucky enough to be in Edinburgh for the game, but couldn't get a ticket. Was going to go and watch the game in the Spice Lounge, but any better recommendations for a pub in the corstorphine area with Jambos watching? 

Corstorphine Inn

28 minutes ago, StirlingJambo said:

Hoping for 

Gordon

Grant    Haring

Forrest.        McKay       Gino

Shankland 

I would swap Kingsley and Rowles

Kingsley is more experienced for playing out of position 

upgotheheads
2 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

Gordon

Devlin   Haring

Forrest   Grant   Mckay

Shankland

I wouldn't be unhappy to see that.

2 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

Gordon

Devlin   Haring

Forrest   Grant   Mckay

Shankland

I'll be delighted if this is our starting line up tonight. Very well balanced. But if the names Sibbick and Atkinson are on the team sheet, we're gonna need more than 2 goals. 

StirlingJambo
1 hour ago, JAYEL said:

I would swap Kingsley and Rowles

Kingsley is more experienced for playing out of position 

For me with Rowles being a centre back should be good enough to play in the right or left side.  People forget Kingsley has been a left back all his career. He plays the LCB role well but out to the right is asking a bit much.

better_call_saul
16 minutes ago, StirlingJambo said:

For me with Rowles being a centre back should be good enough to play in the right or left side.  People forget Kingsley has been a left back all his career. He plays the LCB role well but out to the right is asking a bit much.

Incorrect. Rowles played RB for the Australian national team in their latest qualifiers. It was the big one, against Peru, where they qualified for the WC and he was MOTM. 

StirlingJambo
4 minutes ago, better_call_saul said:

Incorrect. Rowles played RB for the Australian national team in their latest qualifiers. It was the big one, against Peru, where they qualified for the WC and he was MOTM. 

That’s what I said😂 Rowles RCB and Kingsley on the left side.

7 minutes ago, better_call_saul said:

Eh? He played on the left of two CBs. I watched it.

Last week when we went to a back 4 it was Kingsley RCB and Rowles LCB.