***Official Heart of Midlothian vs FC Zurich Match Thread - live on BBC Scotland ***

tartofmidlothian

1 hour ago, Rocky jamboa said:

Does Halkett have a chance of making this one?

Not going by what Robbie said, he suggested he will miss 2 weeks 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Pasquale for King

• iantjambo

• Geoff Kilpatrick

Shankland 

McKay                       Forrest 

Grant 

Haring        Devlin

Kingsley Rowles Sibbick M.Smith 

Gordon 

3-1 Hearts

19 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Shankland 

Grant 

Haring        Devlin

Kingsley Rowles Sibbick M.Smith 

Gordon 

3-1 Hearts

I think Cochrane plays , Sibbick drops out with Kingsley CB.

also think Boyce plays and Haring drops out

19 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

I think Cochrane plays , Sibbick drops out with Kingsley CB.

also think Boyce plays and Haring drops out

Did I not read that Kingsley is out for Thursday too?  Could be wrong or misinterpreted that though. 

Ricardo Quaresma

Shankland 

Boyce

Haring        Devlin

Cochrane Rowles Kingsley M.Smith 

Gordon 

heartsfc_fan
2 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Shankland 

Boyce

Haring        Devlin

Gordon 

This

14 minutes ago, Canscot said:

Did I not read that Kingsley is out for Thursday too?  Could be wrong or misinterpreted that though. 

Robbie said only Halkett is doubtful. Gordon and Kingsley are available 

43 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Just go for it, relentlessly, for the full game

No point in any fannying about

We’re not fit enough to do that unfortunately, which is a bug bear of mine. But we have to start fast, get them under pressure. Get ahead in the tie and manage it from there. MUST NOT LOSE THE FIRST GOAL and leave ourselves looking for 3 to win it.

Ricardo Quaresma
1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

We’re not fit enough to do that unfortunately, which is a bug bear of mine. But we have to start fast, get them under pressure. Get ahead in the tie and manage it from there. MUST NOT LOSE THE FIRST GOAL and leave ourselves looking for 3 to win it.

Are the 2 concepts not compatible, using 5 substitutes?

12 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Are the 2 concepts not compatible, using 5 substitutes?

Yes we can use 5 subs and that helps, but you’ve got the other 5 outfield players running out of gas at 70 minutes

Ricardo Quaresma
17 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Yes we can use 5 subs and that helps, but you’ve got the other 5 outfield players running out of gas at 70 minutes

Maybe Jimmy, maybe they'll be fitter, maybe double sessions on Tuesday

I guess we'll see on Thursday

Geoff Kilpatrick

Gordon - M Smith, Kingsley, Rowles, Cochrane - Devlin, Haring - Forrest, Boyce, McKay - Shankland Subs: Stewart, Atkinson, Sibbick, Neilson, Halliday, Mackay-Steven, C Smith, Ginnelly, Henderson

Captain Sausage

Huge game. 

Please Robbie, play 4231. Please. 

Grant in central midfield doesn’t fill me with confidence but better than Haring I suspect. Need Boyce at #10. 

Want to say 2-0 Hearts and straight through in normal time without any dramas but i feel like this will go all the way, so I am going for a 2-1 win then ET and a win on pens as we usually do things the hard way. 

As long as we can sneak through the tie then I will be happy.

:flag1:

Long shot I know but does anyone know of any pubs in Lanzarote (Puerto del carmen) that may be showing this game? Thanks I’m advance

We’re favourites on the night, which I was a little surprised about. But in a strange way it gives me more hope.

Would love a raucous atmosphere and a couple of early goals.

9/4 to qualify at Bet365, if anyone is that way inclined.

Bazzas right boot

I'm hopeful but I think we'll get knocked out. 

I can see them picking us off on the counter. 

2-2 with them going ahead twice. 

Hopefully we score quite early and build up steam but I'm going for us to get knocked out. 

Bazzas right boot
7 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

No team is. 

It's akin to having a " start fast and run fast at the end " Strategy for a marathon or a long race. 

Kind of thing a 10 year old would come out with as a tactic. 

Edited by Bazzas right boot

Bazzas right boot
7 hours ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Shankland 

Boyce

Haring        Devlin

Gordon 

I'd have Grant or Haliday in for Haring. 

Rowles and Kingsley are also 2 left sided players, it maybe our only option tho. 

9 hours ago, brux said:

Not going by what Robbie said, he suggested he will miss 2 weeks 

That means 6 weeks in Robbie language :sad:

I am not usually over confident but I just think we have this on Thursday.    I thought that the minute the final whistle blew in Zurich.   

7 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

I think we need to go on the front foot early but we can't be going gung ho at them from the off. They are quick and will pick us off on the break and hit us with a sucker punch. We have 90 minutes to get level and need to play accordingly. I think if we can get our noses in front and the place is rocking we have a right good chance of going through. It will require concentration for the full 90 minutes though. 

Going gung-ho will lead to us being picked off at will.

We need controlled aggression here, maintain a solid foundation at the back. 0-0 at HT is not a disaster of an outcome. Then we can afford to open a bit more.

But a goal for us inside 20 minutes would be mega.

18 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Going gung-ho will lead to us being picked off at will.

We need controlled aggression here, maintain a solid foundation at the back. 0-0 at HT is not a disaster of an outcome. Then we can afford to open a bit more.

But a goal for us inside 20 minutes would be mega.

Gung Ho isn’t something RN will ever do. He thinks Gung Ho is a Chinese restaurant 

1 hour ago, Pans Jambo said:

That means 6 weeks in Robbie language :sad:

Or he will play Thursday, I've learned that when he talks about stuff like injuries or signings he hits a middle ground, he has said we will sign another 2 or 3, I fully expect 1 or 4

15 hours ago, tartofmidlothian said:

The biggest match of our season is four days away and counting. All-out attack or play it safe at the start?

No point playing it safe, we're in a losing position and need 2 goals to advance.

A similar start to the United game would do me fine.  Get up the pitch in numbers, and hope the atmosphere swings it in our favour.

I think we need to be patient, we only need a goal to draw level. As long as we have a solid back line and get a few shots away early to get the crowd going I think we will sneak it. As the great Ted lasso says "believe" 

I remember a home game v rangers last season where we went and attacked them from the off and for a few minutes we had some good attacks that ultimately came to nothing ................ then in an instant Aribo got on to a long ball and done Souttar for pace taking advantage of the high line we were holding and they then just undid us time and again

We need to attack them for sure but we need to do it sensibly and not leave ourselves open to getting picked off

Fxxx the SPFL
4 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

I am not usually over confident but I just think we have this on Thursday.    I thought that the minute the final whistle blew in Zurich.   

i thought the game was in St Gallen :whistling:

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

I remember a home game v rangers last season where we went and attacked them from the off and for a few minutes we had some good attacks that ultimately came to nothing ................ then in an instant Aribo got on to a long ball and done Souttar for pace taking advantage of the high line we were holding and they then just undid us time and again

We need to attack them for sure but we need to do it sensibly and not leave ourselves open to getting picked off

Finding the right balance is the hard bit - but that’s what the coaching staff and players are paid for.  

11 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Finding the right balance is the hard bit - but that’s what the coaching staff and players are paid for.  

Totally and that is why I can not see us going gung ho

12 hours ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Shankland 

Boyce

Haring        Devlin

Gordon 

I think that's the team.  Only possible thing would be Grant or Haring, but I think we want Pete's calming influence and physical presence both boxes.  Grant, GMS, Gino and Natty all on the bench. Tempting to choose Natty ahead of Smith, but I think that forward 4 plus Cochrane and Devlin gives us enough legs, and Smith can drop in to make a 3 at back and let Cochrane push as well.

15 hours ago, Brick Tamland said:

I think it will be difficult for the team not to attack because of the atmosphere. Tynecastle under the lights in a European tie will be absolutely jumping, the noise will drive them on and hopefully will put Zurich on the back foot, especially if we get an early goal.

Very hopeful of a victory and a memorable night for us all.

An early goal and we will win it 3-0  

I keep reading about it being under the lights and I agree that there's not much that's better than that but it won't be dark till late in the game.

Edited by graygo

Thought Police
1 hour ago, Homme said:

When are the EL / ECL draws taking place? Is it Friday or next week some time? 

EL noon on Friday

ECL 1:30pm on Friday

1 minute ago, Thought Police said:

EL noon on Friday

ECL 1:30pm on Friday

Thanks. Exciting regardless of competition!

Ricardo Quaresma
1 minute ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Please please let this deal go through before Thursday 

Sorry, bud, Zurich want a lot more money + add-ons, they're stalling for Thursday too, I reckon

Rick Sanchez

I honestly don't believe we'll line up with a two man central defence. We don't have a pairing for it IMO. I'd like...

Gordon

Smith

Rowles

Kingsley

Atkinson

Haring

Grant

Cochrane

Boyce

Shankland

McKay

I'm toiling with central midfield in this formation. Grant gives is a better offence but Devlin would keep is steady. I'm assuming we'll get a top Haring performance but they're not as guaranteed as they were.

A_A wehatethehibs
2 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Sorry, bud, Zurich want a lot more money + add-ons, they're stalling for Thursday too, I reckon

£7m is not a lot when it comes to Premier League. Leeds will pay it IMO. 

The lad has agreed terms so he’ll probably be looking at 5x his wage, his heid will be away. Come on Whites get this deal done 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Incapable of keeping a clean sheet, so we are going to have to outscore them, nothing to lose, a night to be enjoyed on the front foot. No away goals any longer, cat and mouse not required, only one goal in it, doesn't need to be a charge either

Lord Beni of Gorgie
45 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

I honestly don't believe we'll line up with a two man central defence. We don't have a pairing for it IMO. I'd like...

Gordon

Smith

Rowles

Kingsley

Atkinson

Haring

Grant

Cochrane

Boyce

Shankland

McKay

I'm toiling with central midfield in this formation. Grant gives is a better offence but Devlin would keep is steady. I'm assuming we'll get a top Haring performance but they're not as guaranteed as they were.

Need to go with the 4 up front I  think, looked a different game last week when we did

cheerupshuanmaloney

We are still in the game and if we are on form we can cause some damage to Zurich. 2-0 on this game. Atmosphere should be electric.

Ricardo Quaresma
1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

£7m is not a lot when it comes to Premier League. Leeds will pay it IMO. 

The lad has agreed terms so he’ll probably be looking at 5x his wage, his heid will be away. Come on Whites get this deal done 

Hope so, wouldn't want him injured on Thursday, eh?

• davemclaren changed the title to ***Official Heart of Midlothian vs FC Zurich Match Thread - live on BBC Scotland ***