***Official FC Zurich v Heart of Midlothian ko 18:00 - Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

Midloth_Iain
Just now, StirlingJambo said:

Trying to buy tickets for me and the old man. Both season tickets holders but when click on option to buy tickets every seat is grey. Anybody know if there’s an issue with the site or what?

A wee red dot should show in the top right corner of your portal

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pettigrewsstylist

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Naisys Tackle

• neilnunb

10 minutes ago, Leisham38 said:

Paddy Power have Zurich strong favourites for the home game and progressing.

Bookies rarely wrong but not sure what you could base that on.

We were 4/1 to win in Switzerland this morning, now we’re 3/1 🤷🏼‍♂️

StirlingJambo
4 minutes ago, Midloth_Iain said:

A wee red dot should show in the top right corner of your portal

Brilliant, cheers.

The Real Maroonblood
19 minutes ago, Leisham38 said:

Bookies opinions are as valid as you and mine's. 

Watt-Zeefuik
40 minutes ago, Leisham38 said:

Bookies' odds aren't trying to pick the winner, they're trying to split the action.  Plenty of reasons why folk might be dubious of an untested Scottish team vs. the Swiss champions if they're not following a bit more closely.

One of the great things about this part of the Euros is it's unfamiliar opponents.

31 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Bookies' odds aren't trying to pick the winner, they're trying to split the action.  Plenty of reasons why folk might be dubious of an untested Scottish team vs. the Swiss champions if they're not following a bit more closely.

One of the great things about this part of the Euros is it's unfamiliar opponents.

Correct, for them it’s about balancing a book so they end up with a margin regardless of who wins. Doesn’t always work when favourites win all the time but it clearly works enough. 

1 hour ago, Braminho said:

We were 4/1 to win in Switzerland this morning, now we’re 3/1 🤷🏼‍♂️

W Hills have Zurich @ 5/6

i would never be confident of backing a home team at that price

41 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Yes it is.

Bookies don't have an opinion.  They have a world of calculations that present them with a likely outcome. They get it wrong a lot. But they get it right much more, or they go bust. Fwiw I fancy our chances.

16 minutes ago, ScoPo said:

We will beat this lot away and home.  Screenshot this.

Watch the highlights of the 3-2 loss to Qarabag.  Zurich got a goal from a set piece and a penalty, otherwise it was one way traffic.  

All 3 goals have Qarabag waltz through their defence and smash it past the Zurich keeper at his near post.  He doesn't look great at all.  

They are in the process of selling one of their better players to Leeds I believe. 

Confidence is poor.  We will take them.   

15 minutes ago, ScoPo said:

We will beat this lot away and home.  Screenshot this.

I'm with you. 👍

What's your predicted aggregate score?

I reckon:- 

Away ... 2-3

Home ... 3-1

= Aggregate 6-3 to Hearts.

23 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

I'm with you. 👍

What's your predicted aggregate score?

I reckon:- 

Away ... 2-3

Home ... 3-1

= Aggregate 6-3 to Hearts.

We won't concede much against them.  We will win 2-1 away and 3-0 at home.

3 hours ago, HoGwash said:

Yeah, as I said it happened so often that we cantered to 3rd place using that as our formation in the vast majorty of games. 

I'll type this slowly for you, we're not playing SPFL dross on Thursday.

Edited by briever

2 minutes ago, ScoPo said:

We won't concede much against them.  We will win 2-1 away and 3-0 at home.

OK ... Aggregate 5-1 to Hearts ... that sounds like it is written in the stars. 👍

2 hours ago, briever said:

I'll type this slowly for you, we're not playing SPFL dross on Thursday.

Make up your mind what point you want to make. You stated we were often overrun playing 343 and I showed this was nonsense. You've tried to somehow translate your point to the EL tie but to my knowledge we've never played 343 in Europe so you can't say we were overrun there either. You've lost the plot so I'll leave you to your constant negativity and Robbie bashing. 

pettigrewsstylist

We have stop them getting wide in final 3rd. We gave Utd a fair bit of space there down our left 1st half Sun. Going to be interesting to see line up and formation for this one. Defo a game of two legs and i note RN comment about keeping tie alive by Thu evening.

Unknown user
6 hours ago, Leisham38 said:

They have double our wage bill, they could afford a Mecha Kingsley

Howdy Doody Jambo
1 hour ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

We have stop them getting wide in final 3rd. We gave Utd a fair bit of space there down our left 1st half Sun. Going to be interesting to see line up and formation for this one. Defo a game of two legs and i note RN comment about keeping tie alive by Thu evening.

How do you think Robbie will set out his stall? 

Flat back 4, 2 sitting, 3 across the middle with Shankland up top or 3 - 5-1-1 

I just think when we sit in, it just invites the opposition to attack us like going to Glasgow waiting for the inevitable 

I hope he surprises them and goes all out for the first goal just match up man for man, our players are adaptable into a few different formations anyway we've a good seasoned experienced squad with one of the best keeper's in Europe 

Edited by The Maroon Pound

Looking at their videos, they look really fast and athletic. If we're not switched on right from the start, this could go very badly and we could end up being embarrassed.

I thought bookies odds fluctuated on the basis of bets coming in.  Eg if someone put 50k on a Hearts win, our odds would shrink significantly.

Getting excited about this.  I know nothing about Zurich but based on comments on here, we seem to be in with a really good chance over the two legs.

Kingsley and Devlin both being back gives me real confidence.

Give 100% workrate 100% and we will be through to the group stages lads, this is a chance to make yourselves a very special bunch of Hearts player's, win, show no fear. 

We can do it, press the life out of the back three it has mistakes in it, don't allow donis time and space. 

The first club since Celtic and Rangers to qualify for group stage football in Scotland, This is just a small step towards the long journey ahead. 

Let's ****ing do this cmon Hearts and Robbie. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

4 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Give 100% workrate 100% and we will be through to the group stages lads, this is a chance to make yourselves a very special bunch of Hearts player's, win, show no fear. 

We can do it, press the life out of the back three it has mistakes in it, don't allow donis time and space. 

The first club since Celtic and Rangers to qualify for group stage football in Scotland, This is just a small step towards the long journey ahead. 

Did Aberdeen not qualify for the group stages a few years back?

Their form and morale is absolutely horrific. I watched their game in Belfast and it looked fairly even against a team far below the level of hearts. I’m not saying it’ll be easy but I feel like a lot of folk have the Utd-AZ game at the back of their minds and fear a doing. Totally different story tomorrow. We’ve got every chance.

pettigrewsstylist
6 hours ago, The Maroon Pound said:

How do you think Robbie will set out his stall? 

Flat back 4, 2 sitting, 3 across the middle with Shankland up top or 3 - 5-1-1 

I just think when we sit in, it just invites the opposition to attack us like going to Glasgow waiting for the inevitable 

I hope he surprises them and goes all out for the first goal just match up man for man, our players are adaptable into a few different formations anyway we've a good seasoned experienced squad with one of the best keeper's in Europe 

I think Kingsleys ability to start will be big influencer. I think he will use both those formations at some point tomm.

pettigrewsstylist
59 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Looking forward to seeing photos of the Jambos in Zurich.

Gorgie is on the move this morning!!

56 minutes ago, The Tackle said:

I think he means the first club after the OF which was us.

6 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Gorgie is on the move this morning!!

I think this is one of the best eras in my 70 years of being a Hearts supporter.  We've pretty much got everything going for us.  A professional forward looking board.   A Strong squad and coaching staff.  A terrific support.  FoH and benefactors.  Not saddled with debt.

I honestly think with good cause, this is just the beginning.

Bazzas right boot
5 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

What if Zurich give 100% workrate..... 

What if they press the life out of our defence..... 

You really need to stop posting these magical tactics publicly or other teams might use them. 

Bazzas right boot
11 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

I think this is one of the best eras in my 70 years of being a Hearts supporter.  We've pretty much got everything going for us.  A professional forward looking board.   A Strong squad and coaching staff.  A terrific support.  FoH and benefactors.  Not saddled with debt.

100%.

32 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

That's the way I see it after my 50+ years of being a Jambo.   I started going regularly in early 70s.  That first 10-12 years was probably the worst in club's history (not withstanding the end of Romanov era).  I thought it was 'normal' for Hibs to beat us regularly, I also thought I would never see Hearts win a trophy.  It's not yet the best Hearts team I have seen but it's the best the club has been run in my time.  

16 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

That's the way I see it after my 50+ years of being a Jambo.   I started going regularly in early 70s.  That first 10-12 years was probably the worst in club's history (not withstanding the end of Romanov era).  I thought it was 'normal' for Hibs to beat us regularly, I also thought I would never see Hearts win a trophy.  It's not yet the best Hearts team I have seen but it's the best the club has been run in my time.  

I find it hard to credit that it only seems like yesterday we were all chipping in as much as we could to save our club from liquidation.  In no time at all we were an accredited living wage employer, we had built a fantastic new stand, we spent a huge som of money on the pitch and we are where we are today.

I honestly couldn't have dreamt this.

I don't know much about this Zurich team but I think them not playing at their home ground is a huge plus for us. A chance for us I think to progress and that's what we wanted. We could have been drawn a much more difficult tie, as we could have had it "easier", and we must be ready to grasp the opportunity with both hands. 

I'm split personally on how best to approach the game, it is very important not to be out the tie for the second leg. A packed Tynie next Thursday can see us through, hopefully 🤞 

Buzzing......one more sleep and the Gorgie boys are back in Europe 

Absolute Scenes
3 minutes ago, Chong said:

I don't know much about this Zurich team but I think them not playing at their home ground is a huge plus for us. A chance for us I think to progress and that's what we wanted. We could have been drawn a much more difficult tie, as we could have had it "easier", and we must be ready to grasp the opportunity with both hands. 

I'm split personally on how best to approach the game, it is very important not to be out the tie for the second leg. A packed Tynie next Thursday can see us through, hopefully 🤞 

Buzzing......one more sleep and the Gorgie boys are back in Europe 

the pressure is fully on them. Their board have publicly come out to shame the players, which will do nothing for morale, and they do not have the home stadium advantage. All this plus a horrific start for a team that were champions last season. Confidence is sometimes worth more than ability in these games. 

Midloth_Iain

We have to play it tight, solid at the back with a threat on the break, cant afford to be too expansive.

Would prefer to frustrate them, given their poor start to the season, dont give them any confidence of an early goal / chances.

We wont win through to the group stages over there, need to make sure we are still in the tie. 

iwasthere1954
7 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I sincerely hope that you are right. My only concern is that we don't press teams enough and let them press us. I also think it might be to hot to do a lot of pressing. 

The Old Tolbooth

A draw would be an excellent result, a one goal loss wouldn't be the worst either as we can score goals at home, a win would be utopia! 

If Zurich were playing against Rangers or Celtic you wouldn't give them much of a chance of beating them, they're not the quality of that pair, which means we have a chance. 

8 hours ago, cosanostra said:

Looking at their videos, they look really fast and athletic. If we're not switched on right from the start, this could go very badly and we could end up being embarrassed.

Indeed. A few weeks ago we were generally discussing the string likelihood of dropping to the Conference league. Now some have as us string favourites. 🥸

RustyRightPeg

All I want is a result to allow us to do our jobs next Thursday. 

If we can make Tynecastle a cauldron a bit like that mob did at Ibrox last season on Thursdays we’re onto a winner next week. 

scott herbertson
4 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Indeed. A few weeks ago we were generally discussing the string likelihood of dropping to the Conference league. Now some have as us string favourites. 🥸

Never been a favourite with me

Rab C. Nesbitt star Gregor Fisher reveals he makes NO cash from Love  Actually and got just £2k for classic telly cigar ads

3 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Never been a favourite with me

Rab C. Nesbitt star Gregor Fisher reveals he makes NO cash from Love  Actually and got just £2k for classic telly cigar ads

Spellcheck is often a curse for us more mature posters. 😄

2 hours ago, The Tackle said:

They did, as we did when we beat Braga.

9 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

It’s hard to gauge what our chances are because we’re not familiar with the Swiss league. However, we have made a solid start to the season and Zurich haven’t, so there is some hope there at least.

TBH I’ll be happy with a draw or a 1-goal loss to take back to Tynie.

2 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

It’s hard to gauge what our chances are because we’re not familiar with the Swiss league. However, we have made a solid start to the season and Zurich haven’t, so there is some hope there at least.

Yip, bottom line is to keep the tie alive for next week. 

scott herbertson
5 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

Agreed - just  keep it tight and do a Leipzig on them at tynie

Ford Prentice
20 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Is this a practical application of String Theory.

• davemclaren changed the title to ***Official FC Zurich v Heart of Midlothian ko 18:00 - Match Thread***