What is woke and how does it impact you?

Unknown user

45 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Different thread perhaps but always worth pointing out - there's a pretty broad scientific consensus for race being a social construct and not the result of genetic variation.

Oof, what a minefield. I know (older) people who still say half caste with no malice intended.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Unknown user

• Dawnrazor

• il Duce McTarkin

17 hours ago, jonesy said:

No Gizzie. Its 'not' racist because those who use it would have to face the reality that they, like all of those who decide to poke fun at others because of their skin colour, have prejudices based on little more than their aforementioned pigmentation and views they, rightly or wrong, disagree with, conflating the two into some kind of humorous shorthand to toss into oh-so-sharp conversations with their equally prejudiced friends.

image 1 of Colman's Bramley Apple Sauce 155G

fabienleclerq

Folk who use the words woke,gammon,libtard or gammon are most definitely worth avoiding.

Weakened Offender
7 hours ago, jonesy said:

Sorry Dawn. Those who use the G-word are so woke that their jokes about people’s skin colour couldn’t possibly be racist.

The G-word. 😁

Jeffros Furios
35 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

The G-word. 😁

Alright Vinny babe x 

A Boy Named Crow
15 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Can Black and Asians be gammon?

Yes. The shouts that it's racist are ludicrous.  A gammon is defined by their opinions. Two twins with pale pink skin, one wants to send foreigners home and hankers for the days of empire, the other has different views. Only one is a 'gammon'.

I'd say a lot of the BAME Tories are probably 'gammon'.

No need for a new thread as there is this and also Olivia Newton John threads.

Widely regarded as a sex symbol.

How long before that particular “badge” is removed forever?

That thing you do
10 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Pigs lives matter.

Eton/Oxford support groups are available for any concerned pigs

Watt-Zeefuik
On 06/08/2022 at 06:34, Dawnrazor said:

So how racist is it if it's aimed at one group due to their skin colour? 

On 06/08/2022 at 07:38, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Different thread perhaps but always worth pointing out - there's a pretty broad scientific consensus for race being a social construct and not the result of genetic variation.

I'd say these are related. Racism, pedantically defined, is the assertion of both descriptive and normative differences (i.e., both about what is and what should be) based on classifying people based on their genetic descent. Race, then, is a social construct that builds on visibly obvious characteristics—including skin color but also hair, eyes, nose shape, etc.—to lump people into those groups and then make judgments about them based on those groupings.

The way race has been and still is encoded into legal doctrine, it cannot possibly be based strictly on genetic descent. It's based on totally fictitious and outdated notions of descent ("blood quantum", the "one drop" rule, etc.) that quite simply are totally and completely with odds with our best current scientific understanding of genetic inheritance and gene expression.

Since there's no assertion whatsoever that all men who are gammons are of a particular descent, or that being of a particular genetic lineage makes one more likely to be gammon, or any assertion that the facial coloring is due to a genetic condition (as opposed to too much beer, sitting on the couch, and burst blood vessels from yelling epithets and minorities and nonconformists), it's hard  to see how it's racist.

8 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

I'd say these are related. Racism, pedantically defined, is the assertion of both descriptive and normative differences (i.e., both about what is and what should be) based on classifying people based on their genetic descent. Race, then, is a social construct that builds on visibly obvious characteristics—including skin color but also hair, eyes, nose shape, etc.—to lump people into those groups and then make judgments about them based on those groupings.

The way race has been and still is encoded into legal doctrine, it cannot possibly be based strictly on genetic descent. It's based on totally fictitious and outdated notions of descent ("blood quantum", the "one drop" rule, etc.) that quite simply are totally and completely with odds with our best current scientific understanding of genetic inheritance and gene expression.

Since there's no assertion whatsoever that all men who are gammons are of a particular descent, or that being of a particular genetic lineage makes one more likely to be gammon, or any assertion that the facial coloring is due to a genetic condition (as opposed to too much beer, sitting on the couch, and burst blood vessels from yelling epithets and minorities and nonconformists), it's hard  to see how it's racist.

I get what you're saying, but, it's used to describe white men in general, if it was used to describe black or asian men would it not be "racist" as we know it now?

I'm not sticking up for the ranting brexit supporters but just the principle of a derogatory name being used to describe someone because of their skin colour.

Unknown user
21 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I get what you're saying, but, it's used to describe white men in general, if it was used to describe black or asian men would it not be "racist" as we know it now?

I'm not sticking up for the ranting brexit supporters but just the principle of a derogatory name being used to describe someone because of their skin colour.

So is it sexist as well then?

Folk trying to claim gammon isn't racist 😄

It is and I bet a few have had it shouted at them.And I very much doubt you get gammon shouted  at bame people.

Not bothered as don't look gammon but it's a term to describe white people.

Watt-Zeefuik
42 minutes ago, jonesy said:

That's a hell of a lot of words you just used there to tell us that you're wrong, Led.

I'm a lapsed academic. That ain't even me warming up.

4 hours ago, Smithee said:

So is it sexist as well then?

I don't think I've seen it aimed at a women but it's the skin colour that's the issue.

Watt-Zeefuik
1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

That's the thing. "The principle" of being derogatory about someone's skin color isn't racist. If you made fun of albinos, you'd just be a jerk and an arsehole, but not racist.

You can say making fun of anyone's appearance should be out of bounds, and you could probably get me to agree, but just because it's skin color doesn't mean it's about race, particularly when the implication with "gammon" is more about how a person lives and how they present themselves in public.

fabienleclerq
4 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

That's the thing. "The principle" of being derogatory about someone's skin color isn't racist. If you made fun of albinos, you'd just be a jerk and an arsehole, but not racist.

You can say making fun of anyone's appearance should be out of bounds, and you could probably get me to agree, but just because it's skin color doesn't mean it's about race, particularly when the implication with "gammon" is more about how a person lives and how they present themselves in public.

There's not a chance in hell you use that argument for anything other than a word used to describe white people 🤣

Edited by fabienleclerq

I've been gammon on many an occasion, especially mid September 2014. Never felt racially threatened. 

Sounds like @jonesyis woke. Greetin about angry white folk with beetroot coupins being piss taken by being described as gammon.  And I see his little puppy is still hanging off his every word. 

Edited by ri Alban

7 hours ago, jonesy said:

McGammon speaks.

That's ok, but slightly xenophobic, since you have now labelled it with Mc/Mac/Ma. But I'll take it you are Scottish and look past your in house xenophobia. 👍. There's a good boy. The Gammonatti will be so proud. Keep up the good work, Agent.

The Hokey Pokey from Agent Jonesy.  

You can say whatever you like about me, Jonesy or anyone else, don't expect anymore replies. You just go running to the teacher.  

Anyway, woke is a good thing and anything good is set upon by right wing extremists, through their Media attack dogs. Independence, Unions, Taking the knee, equal pay, women's rights, everyone's rights. All opposed by right-wing filth and the everyday person somehow loses their imagination and own self respect, so they can punch down and make themselves feel better. 

Edited by ri Alban

14 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

The Hokey Pokey from Agent Jonesy.  

You can say whatever you like about me, Jonesy or anyone else, don't expect anymore replies. You just go running to the teacher.  

Anyway, woke is a good thing and anything good is set upon by right wing extremists, through their Media attack dogs. Independence, Unions, Taking the knee, equal pay, women's rights, everyone's rights. All opposed by right-wing filth and the everyday person somehow loses their imagination and own self respect, so they can punch down and make themselves feel better. 

Right on maaaaannnnnn.

Hey fancy some hunt the brit .

We could go gammon hunting.

But how do we know if the gammon identify as men or women ?

😆

Unknown user
6 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

I don't think I've seen it aimed at a women but it's the skin colour that's the issue.

It's aimed at a subsection of whites.

It's also aimed at a subsection of males.

How can it then be racist but not sexist?

Because it's neither.

29 minutes ago, Ked said:

Right on maaaaannnnnn.

Hey fancy some hunt the brit .

We could go gammon hunting.

But how do we know if the gammon identify as men or women ?

😆

Okay dokey. :peace: I've some to play, enjoy your day. :thumb: I know I will, without the joys of JKB.

Ainsley Harriott
On 03/08/2022 at 22:24, Led Tasso said:

Funny, I'd always heard it as "go woke and go broke." Which never seems to be the case either.

download.jpeg-6.jpg

Ainsley Harriott
2 minutes ago, Ked said:

🤣🤣🤣

Moment to reflect on all the underprivileged black guys he helped get banged up whilst he was CPS.

6 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Moment to reflect on all the underprivileged black guys he helped get banged up whilst he was CPS.

Just reminded me of the Frankie Boyle chicken v starmer joke.

Seymour M Hersh
13 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

And the serial paedophile he chose not to prosecute. 

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

2 hours ago, Smithee said:

It's aimed at a subsection of whites.

It's also aimed at a subsection of males.

How can it then be racist but not sexist?

Because it's neither.

It's aimed at a subsection of WHITES and it's not racist?

It's aimed at a subsection of MALES and it's not sexist?

So an insult a "subsection" of people based on thier skin colour and sex is neither racist or sexist?

If you aimed an insult at black, asian or mixed race women would that be racist or sexist?

4 hours ago, fabienleclerq said:

There's not a chance in hell you use that argument for anything other than a word used to describe white people 🤣

Exactly. 

8 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

So if a black, Asian or mixed race person is abused due to their skin colour it's not now racist? Would I not be prosecuted if I abused someone for the colour or their skin, despite their race?

26 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

So an insult a "subsection" of people based on thier skin colour and sex is neither racist or sexist?

If you aimed an insult at black, asian or mixed race women would that be racist or sexist?

Is it racist when black males greet each other with the obvious word?

1 minute ago, Gizmo said:

It depends if one was offended, I don't think everyblack person would like to be called that by anyone no matter what their skin colour, would it be racist if an asian called them the n word?

Watt-Zeefuik
1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

it’s just about cheek color ffs and really it’s more about behavior than look. You’re trying way too hard here.

3 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

it’s just about cheek color ffs and really it’s more about behavior than look. You’re trying way too hard here.

Of course it is 😅

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Gizmo said:

No because they have " reclaimed " it from its previous use as a highly offensive slur.  Mind you I hate the " queer" word and thats been reclaimed by some , but not by me and most people i know. 

29 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Ah, so it's ok to abuse someone on their "cheek colour" then, right you are 👍

Unknown user
6 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Ah, so it's ok to abuse someone on their "cheek colour" then, right you are 👍

I share their cheek colour but no one's calling me gammon.

And if they did, TF do I care? I'm not an angry, right wing bellend with a tiny winkle and a victim complex, so I know it's not describing me.

Just now, Smithee said:

I share their cheek colour but no one's calling me gammon.

And if they did, TF do I care? I'm not an angry, right wing bellend with a tiny winkle and a victim complex, so I know it's not describing me.

So why bring skin colour into it then?

Would throw insults at the behaviour of someone of colour because of their behaviour and use the colour of their skin as the insult?

Unknown user
Just now, Dawnrazor said:

So why bring skin colour into it then?

Would throw insults at the behaviour of someone of colour because of their behaviour and use the colour of their skin as the insult?

Ask Dickens, he started it

Just now, Smithee said:

Ask Dickens, he started it

A weak reply, would you? You either would or you wouldn't, which is it?

Unknown user
4 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

A weak reply, would you? You either would or you wouldn't, which is it?

Dickens coined the phrase, not me, you'd need to ask him for his thinking.