Our new screens.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

To be perfectly honest, at the recent derby I never even once glanced at H1b5' screens as I was too busy watching the field of play.

Watching live events on a screen whilst being there, e.g. music gigs on mobile phones, baffles me. It's a modern scourge.

Live it live ...

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hughesie27

• Tom Hardy’s Dug

• Sooks

• davemclaren

3 hours ago, Jack Torrance said:

We could just get a loop of Lolly Badcock on them...

Somebody posted the transcript of the conversation, bloody hilarious.

Phil D. Corners

Hope this works. 

The screen on the wheatfield stand was looking good. Good resolution, but not blinding bright. 👌🏻

No screen in the main stand yet. 

Work updating the turnstiles left of the Gorgie stand was Happening. And other work, like cleaning the track around the pitch. 

Looks like work on the second floor has stalled thou. 

0B647B0F-4571-4796-AB07-E85D2C85EBC4.jpeg

Ronald Villiers
6 hours ago, Valentinho said:

If we are "copying them" and our screens "look terrible", then so must their "look terrible".

Did any of the window lickers EVER go to school??!!

Inbreeding clearly screws with the head.

Fort Vallance
3 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

To be perfectly honest, at the recent derby I never even once glanced at H1b5' screens as I was too busy watching the field of play.

Watching live events on a screen whilst being there, e.g. music gigs on mobile phones, baffles me. It's a modern scourge.

Live it live ...

As the advert says, it's only live once. 

Gorgie_Rules

We could do with getting some permanent electronic sponsor boards next. Always think the old style ones look a bit cheap and they surely pay for themselves in time.

Good to see stuff happening at Tynecaslte though to keep it modernised 

Do we have to have these in place for the group stages in Europe? Know VAR is after the world cup domestically but is there a requirement for them ASAP? 

Hungry hippo
1 hour ago, jambo1975 said:

Do we have to have these in place for the group stages in Europe? Know VAR is after the world cup domestically but is there a requirement for them ASAP? 

No, this is just the earliest we could get them as they were used at the Commonwealth Games.

Edited by Hungry hippo

1 hour ago, jambo1975 said:

No. And there is no requirement to have them for VAR either.

11 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Pitch damage, re-inforcement, and huge installation costs and practicalities. 

See video earlier of what needs done. 

Do it as soon as season concludes so any pitch damage can be repaired.  I'm not convinced those trusses need reinforced in any way, costs can be covered.

13 hours ago, Phil D. Corners said:

Hope this works. 

The screen on the wheatfield stand was looking good. Good resolution, but not blinding bright. 👌🏻

Work updating the turnstiles left of the Gorgie stand was Happening. And other work, like cleaning the track around the pitch. 

Can some one show me on the photo which seats are too close to the radiating part of the screen ?

kingantti1874
8 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

No. And there is no requirement to have them for VAR either.

You are correct no requirement but they can be used 

letsmakesomenoise
21 hours ago, kila said:

Surprised we'd have to reinforce the trusses but the stand wall is OK.

I'd have thought it might've been more with planning permission, that the Roseburn truss screen would be too high/visible from the Gorgie flats? Though the council seem OK with sticking huge digital ad screens where they beam into properties so maybe not.

Stand wall is rubbish.  

We sit 2/3 along the main stand towards the Roseburn.  Can’t really see the Wheatfield telly, and will have to lean forward to see the main stand one.  As I expect everyone else in the row will also be doing that, won’t be able to see the main stand one either.  Hardly Platinum viewing. Heho!  Will have to watch it live on the pitch 😆

15 minutes ago, letsmakesomenoise said:

Stand wall is rubbish.  

We sit 2/3 along the main stand towards the Roseburn.  Can’t really see the Wheatfield telly, and will have to lean forward to see the main stand one.  As I expect everyone else in the row will also be doing that, won’t be able to see the main stand one either.  Hardly Platinum viewing. Heho!  Will have to watch it live on the pitch 😆

You sit 2/3 seats in from the wall at the Gorgie end in the Main stand? If so you'll see the Wheatfield screen perfectly fine.

A_A wehatethehibs
9 hours ago, Chuck Berry said:

Do it as soon as season concludes so any pitch damage can be repaired.  I'm not convinced those trusses need reinforced in any way, costs can be covered.

Oh you’re “not convinced” care to share your structural and electronics engineering credentials?

And I take it you’ve read the data with regards to the specific maximum load points of the truss? And the truss presumably already has all the necessary  fixtures built into it back in the 90s? 

You’re not seriously suggesting we just, hang the screen up there with a few ropes and “see if it holds” are you? Those poles aren’t going to bend or break if you place a heavy weight right in the middle of them are they??

We have to provide an absolute technical guarantee of safety with fail safe mechanisms. “Costs can be covered” You do realise the vast 7 figure costs involved with doing that in compliance with safety legislation? Watfords retrofit cost £5m. An entire additional reinforced truss would have to be built into/around the existing structure to guarantee safety and guarantee there’s zero possibility of collapse.

And not only the safety, but the absolute massive crane we would need to get in to do the job. Can it even fit through the vehicle access? Cranes are pretty expensive right… and there’s about a year waiting list to even book one.

Additionally, weatherproofing for the high winds, blizzards and heavy rain of a Scottish winter. You’ll note that these electronics are currently placed in a protected position under a roof where they are protected from that. Keeping them dry is generally deemed a good idea if you’re looking to keep your electronics functional.

Honestly baffles me when folk who are absolutely clueless about both engineering in general, but also clueless about the specific facts of these screens, and the trusses capability to hold additional load, the specific anchor points which would take the maximum load right in the middle of the load-bearing structure, which the trusses were not designed to accommodate. Who cares if someone with zero knowledge talks about being “not convinced these trusses couldn’t hold the weight”? Oh a clueless-about-the-essential-facts individual is not convinced? Nobody ****ing cares nor is your convincing in any way relevant or sought. People with vast levels above you  competence have made the 100% correct decision to put these screens in their only viable position in the stadium. 

letsmakesomenoise
23 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

You sit 2/3 seats in from the wall at the Gorgie end in the Main stand? If so you'll see the Wheatfield screen perfectly fine.

Two thirds along the stand man.  Jeez!

3 minutes ago, letsmakesomenoise said:

Two thirds along the stand man.  Jeez!

Ah, in that case you will see the Main stand screen perfectly fine. 

10 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Oh you’re “not convinced” care to share your structural and electronics engineering credentials?

And I take it you’ve read the data with regards to the specific maximum load points of the truss? And the truss presumably already has all the necessary  fixtures built into it back in the 90s? 

You’re not seriously suggesting we just, hang the screen up there with a few ropes and “see if it holds” are you? Those poles aren’t going to bend or break if you place a heavy weight right in the middle of them are they??

We have to provide an absolute technical guarantee of safety with fail safe mechanisms. “Costs can be covered” You do realise the vast 7 figure costs involved with doing that in compliance with safety legislation? Watfords retrofit cost £5m. An entire additional reinforced truss would have to be built into/around the existing structure to guarantee safety and guarantee there’s zero possibility of collapse.

And not only the safety, but the absolute massive crane we would need to get in to do the job. Can it even fit through the vehicle access? Cranes are pretty expensive right… and there’s about a year waiting list to even book one.

Additionally, weatherproofing for the high winds, blizzards and heavy rain of a Scottish winter. You’ll note that these electronics are currently placed in a protected position under a roof where they are protected from that. Keeping them dry is generally deemed a good idea if you’re looking to keep your electronics functional.

Honestly baffles me when folk who are absolutely clueless about both engineering in general, but also clueless about the specific facts of these screens, and the trusses capability to hold additional load, the specific anchor points which would take the maximum load right in the middle of the load-bearing structure, which the trusses were not designed to accommodate. Who cares if someone with zero knowledge talks about being “not convinced these trusses couldn’t hold the weight”? Oh a clueless-about-the-essential-facts individual is not convinced? Nobody ****ing cares nor is your convincing in any way relevant or sought. People with vast levels above you  competence have made the 100% correct decision to put these screens in their only viable position in the stadium. 

Wow!  calm down flower, I'm still not convinced.  The whole point is despite your word soup, is that it CAN be done.

Edited by Chuck Berry

Perth to Paisley
24 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Admin ... can you pin this!

Any word on the second screen going up in the main stand?  I think I'm correct in saying that so far only the one in the Wheatfield is in place. 

I wonder if they will use it on Thursday night, or will they wait until both screens are in place?

Any word on the second screen going up in the main stand?  I think I'm correct in saying that so far only the one in the Wheatfield is in place. 

I wonder if they will use it on Thursday night, or will they wait until both screens are in place?

Rick Sanchez
2 minutes ago, tazhearts said:

I read on a Facebook group that part of the main stand screen was damaged in transit. I didn't think much of it tbh but you never know.

On 19/08/2022 at 09:19, A_A wehatethehibs said:

You make a good point albeit a fairly whiny one.

Theres a fair amount of factors in play more so in reference to the wheatfield , its been in place a fair bit of time now and even painted steel will corrode and the structural integrity diminish over time when exposed to the elements year round. Current site is certainly a lower risk . The logistics of getting a crane in place for the WF would be a nightmare alone.  

A_A wehatethehibs
5 minutes ago, Americana said:

Theres a fair amount of factors in play more so in reference to the wheatfield , its been in place a fair bit of time now and even painted steel will corrode and the structural integrity diminish over time when exposed to the elements year round. Current site is certainly a lower risk . The logistics of getting a crane in place for the WF would be a nightmare alone.  

Yeah in the moment i felt a rant was necessary because there’s too many opinions complaining about the position of the screens without understanding or even considering how much complexity and cost there is 

14 minutes ago, Americana said:

I think a Chinnook would be best. 

6 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I think a Chinnook would be best. 

Pretty sure Neilson is now in full control of airspace above Tynecastle.

:rofl:...so that's a NO then? Top rant mate! 👍

Can't the screens just be hung from the middle of the stands then, 4 big Samsung's and a bit of chain would do the job.

A wee perch underneath for the Seagulls would be handy while someone is up there clambering around as well.

Should have got one of those jumbotrons above the centre circle like those you see at the basketball.

Couple of sky hooks would have done the job. 

30 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Yeah in the moment i felt a rant was necessary because there’s too many opinions complaining about the position of the screens without understanding or even considering how much complexity and cost there is 

It was the same with the main stand construction. 

All the amateur construction experts appeared on here to give their tuppence worth. 

Boring twats most of them. 

Voice of reason

How do you know any of that for sure? What are your credentials? Surely the exact same argument can be thrown back at you. Extreme views without any evidence one way or the other aren’t that useful. Obviously putting the screens on the trusses would be more expensive, and look far better, but we don’t know the level of the additional cost or if any reinforcements etc would be required.  You are just guessing, just like the other person, unless you are claiming to be in the know? The extra over cost might have been £200k or £2M for all I know - no point guessing and spinning it as gospel. The Board has made a ‘value for money’ decision and we hope they made it wisely as they had all the info. No need for all the hyperbole either way. Anyway, a nice wee addition to the stadium whilst earning us some additional advertising income. All good.

Gorgie_Rules

There was scaffolding up on Saturday in the main stand where the screen is going. Don’t know if any truth in the damaged in transit rumour but the Wheatfield one was up and looked good to go, no sign of the main stand one though.

Pretty sure scaffolding is a bit of a pain to put up and take down so would think the club are expecting the screen to be in place before Thursday before the scaffolding needs to come down again.

We literally saw a guy lift a section of the screen in the Watford video. I'd be very concerned if the trusses couldn't hold the lot. In fact I'd be advising Tynecastle be shut now if there were any doubts!

Of course testing would still have to be carried out as fag packet guestimates can't happen 

The decision has been made purely on logistics / cost. Of that I'm sure and have no problem with.

Edited by Homme

Ricardo Quaresma

The weight of screen plus fitting has to be multiplied by 2.5 and tested for, like 36Hrs or more by suspending the exact weight or more from the apparatus it's getting attached to

All I know, roughly, oh, tested every year after installation

But, like the boy stated, too much cost for any other area just now

Tom Hardy’s Dug

**** me - now we have engineering experts that can assess maximum load bearing weight by eye.

Get a grip and stop moaning about everything

Its like you think the club deliberately does shite things just to piss you off.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

I agree we all have an opinion on things and it’s our right to discuss improvements and new ways forward. 

sometimes people are never happy or actually read the thread that’s 7 pages long, the Club are doing their best 

Hopefully one day I get a comfy seat instead of the plastic square seat I sit on now under the large tv that been installed, maybe in years to come but I’ll make do until such times……..😂

Edited by Larky_Jambo

Craig Herbertson
On 18/08/2022 at 16:43, Wee Mikey said:

Live it live ...

Spot on.

I did look up a couple of times. It's like watching a good film and suddenly there's a bunch of moving adverts: Pointless, distracting and irrelevant. Mind you I was at Tynecastle for the first televised game and remember my late brother saying they're delaying the kick-off for telly. He was really irritated. I suppose the kids will like it but for me it will be another thing in the way of the game.

It’s simple. For all those having tears and snorters about a couple of screens - just don’t look at them. It’s that simple.

I don’t like looking at the arse cheek supports so don’t look at them. Easy

The Wrinkly Ninja
5 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

I’ve submitted my quote to the club for cleaning the screens.

If successful I’ll be buying a yacht.

I’ve also submitted a quote but I’m going to use a sponge.

On 18/08/2022 at 17:50, Phil D. Corners said:

Hope this works. 

The second floor hasn’t stalled as it hasn’t started 😕 for you to say that we’re you at a show or just walking about 🤔 the reason I ask as you are either looking from outside or guessing as you can’t get to the second floor 😉

On 19/08/2022 at 08:55, hughesie27 said:

People just making things up 🤔 you start to wonder if they even sit in the seats they claim 😂 perfect view 👍🏻

Part of the reason screams didn’t go in them was due to sun/lighting throughout the year where it would affect light /heat from sun 👍🏻

gorgie rd eh11
3 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

I love how a screen debate can unearth so many Hobbits 😂😂😂

🙂 Yep, oh s**t we're improving the stadium with bigger and better screens than hibs have. 

So are they up yet or no'? I'm boiling with utter frustration.  Don't want these Swiss saying how come they've no' got any screens? Tinpot wee club.

Ricardo Quaresma
1 hour ago, Kiwidoug said:

So are they up yet or no'? I'm boiling with utter frustration.  Don't want these Swiss saying how come they've no' got any screens? Tinpot wee club.

I think they’re trying to get the Main / Gorgie one up, but SweetFA has another night or two to run, so the guys are having to work their schedule around that, Doug