***** The Hearts B super thread - Liam Fox confirmed as coach ******

jamboinglasgow

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Whether it benefits the OF or not, it appears to be bringing on some of our players on evidence of 2023 part of the season, we continue to look after what suits our own needs rather than worry about anyone else, they would do with our without us anyway.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Footballfirst

• Mikey1874

• Niemi’s gloves

• jamboinglasgow

jamboinglasgow

Ignoring the rights and wrongs of B teams still being in Lowland league next season and the new conference league the following season (which is expected to pass,) looking at it at a purely Hearts level, knowing that B teams will continue indefinitely will be a big help to the club. 

It allows the club to plan better the development of the youngsters and have a long term strategy for it. I do wonder if it may allow us to supplement the talented academy players with a couple of youngsters signed in from down south, as it surprised me last summer that we did not do that with our improved recruitment. 

• 2 weeks later...
Niemi’s gloves

https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/article/young-trio-sign-new-deals

Good to see official confirmation that Gus Stevenson has signed (similar situation to James Wilson)

Also two year extension for Luke Rathie and one year for Aidan Denholm. To be honest, I thought AD was one of the players who’d been told he wouldn’t get an extension around Christmas. Either I got that wrong or Naismith has initiated a change of view. 

Just now, Stanley_ said:

I remember an announcement about Denholm (and a few others) leaving as well.

Yes.

Good news. I had heard he was highly rates among academy coaches who felt he could have been in first team squad.

Footballfirst
9 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Quite a short deal?

Most of the deals announced for the B Team players terminate when their eligibility for the B Team expires.  Kirk is one who is only eligible for one more year.

In essence, the club appears willing to allow the young players to prove themselves good enough to play at B Team level, but then perform at a level beyond that if they are going to be kept on as part of the first team squad. 

Edited by Footballfirst

davemclaren
14 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Most of the deals announced for the B Team players terminate when their eligibility for the B Team expires.  Kirk is one who is only eligible for one more year.

In essence, the club appears willing to allow the young players to prove themselves good enough to play at B Team level, but then perform at a level beyond that if they are going to be kept on as part of the first team squad. 

👍

Portable Badger
3 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Mackenzie Kirk, the last of the B Team squad that ended the season, has now signed on for another year.

https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/article/makenzies-new-deal

Good news.

Interesting that the club have publicly stated their ‘clear expectations’ of him to work on & improve.

Hope he pays heed & we can sign on a genuine potential striker for the first team at the end of next season.

jamboinglasgow
47 minutes ago, Portable Badger said:

Good news.

Interesting that the club have publicly stated their ‘clear expectations’ of him to work on & improve.

Hope he pays heed & we can sign on a genuine potential striker for the first team at the end of next season.

Yeah a little surprising that they are setting our clearly where they think he needs to work harder, but it could be that they think they will get the reaction they want from him saying publicly. 

Sure someone said that his biggest weakness is that needs to be more physical so no surprise that is what the clubs wants.

32 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Yeah a little surprising that they are setting our clearly where they think he needs to work harder, but it could be that they think they will get the reaction they want from him saying publicly. 

Sure someone said that his biggest weakness is that needs to be more physical so no surprise that is what the clubs wants.

Its a message to all the youngsters. And as said its his last chance which is another change. 

Edited by Mikey1874

6 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Sensible approach for all but a couple who we'd maybe want tied down longer i suppose

Portable Badger
On 16/05/2023 at 16:09, Mikey1874 said:

3.30pm

Thanks for posting Mikey but I completely forgot about it.  I watched some brief highlights on YouTube this morning.  How did our guys get on during the game?

Only player that stood out on the highlights I saw was how generally crap the Scottish keeper was.

Portable Badger

Sorry - just spotted EEN piece......

How Hibs trio and Hearts pair fared in Scotland Under-17s' opening game of Euro 2023

Three Hibs academy players and two Hearts youth prospects were involved as Scotland Under-17s got their Euro 2023 campaign under way against France in Hungary on Wednesday afternoon.

Scotland got off to the worst possible start, conceding a soft goal in the opening five minutes as Yanis Issoufou opened the scoring, the Montpellier forward having the relatively simple task of tapping into an empty net from Aymen Sadi’s cross from the right, but the Scots grew into the game for the remainder of the half with Hamilton Accies forward Ryan One proving a handful for Bastien Meupiyou and Joane Gadou at the heart of the France defence and Hastie clearing an effort off the line and blocking another goal-bound effort.

One glanced a header just wide from a MacIntyre cross midway through the half while France also hit the woodwork and worked Rory Mahady in the Scotland goal but there was nothing the Leeds United ‘keeper could do to stop Gadou’s header from Bouabre’s cross on the stroke of half-time.

McLaughlin made a tactical switch at the break with MacIntyre making way as Kilmarnock defender Ruari Ellis was introduced to the action. Scotland continued to repel France and with 20 minutes remaining One set up Rory Wilson who reduced the deficit.

Molotnikov entered the fray immediately after, replacing Bailey Rice, but almost immediately the French were awarded a penalty after Rangers’ Leyton Grant was adjudged to have fouled Mohamed-Amine Bouchenna of Clermont in the area.

Mahady saved Ismael Bouneb’s spot-kick but France restored their two-goal lead moments later when a cross from substitute Tidiam Gomis of Caen was pushed out by the shot-stopper only to rebound off the unfortunate Ellis and into the net. 

France had another chance from the spot in injury time after Grant was again penalised for a foul in the area, this time on Joan Tincres, but the Monaco youth was also denied from 12 yards by Mahady, and the game finished 3-1 to the French.

Scotland: Mahady, Friel, Grant, Hastie, Frame, Ure, Rice (Molotnikov 71’), Miller (Marshall 84’), MacIntyre (Ellis 46’), Wilson, One (Simpson 71’). Subs not used: McKenna, Connolly, Forsyth, McLuckie.

Niemi’s gloves
1 hour ago, Portable Badger said:

Sorry - just spotted EEN piece......

How Hibs trio and Hearts pair fared in Scotland Under-17s' opening game of Euro 2023

Three Hibs academy players and two Hearts youth prospects were involved as Scotland Under-17s got their Euro 2023 campaign under way against France in Hungary on Wednesday afternoon.

Scotland got off to the worst possible start, conceding a soft goal in the opening five minutes as Yanis Issoufou opened the scoring, the Montpellier forward having the relatively simple task of tapping into an empty net from Aymen Sadi’s cross from the right, but the Scots grew into the game for the remainder of the half with Hamilton Accies forward Ryan One proving a handful for Bastien Meupiyou and Joane Gadou at the heart of the France defence and Hastie clearing an effort off the line and blocking another goal-bound effort.

One glanced a header just wide from a MacIntyre cross midway through the half while France also hit the woodwork and worked Rory Mahady in the Scotland goal but there was nothing the Leeds United ‘keeper could do to stop Gadou’s header from Bouabre’s cross on the stroke of half-time.

McLaughlin made a tactical switch at the break with MacIntyre making way as Kilmarnock defender Ruari Ellis was introduced to the action. Scotland continued to repel France and with 20 minutes remaining One set up Rory Wilson who reduced the deficit.

Molotnikov entered the fray immediately after, replacing Bailey Rice, but almost immediately the French were awarded a penalty after Rangers’ Leyton Grant was adjudged to have fouled Mohamed-Amine Bouchenna of Clermont in the area.

Mahady saved Ismael Bouneb’s spot-kick but France restored their two-goal lead moments later when a cross from substitute Tidiam Gomis of Caen was pushed out by the shot-stopper only to rebound off the unfortunate Ellis and into the net. 

France had another chance from the spot in injury time after Grant was again penalised for a foul in the area, this time on Joan Tincres, but the Monaco youth was also denied from 12 yards by Mahady, and the game finished 3-1 to the French.

Scotland: Mahady, Friel, Grant, Hastie, Frame, Ure, Rice (Molotnikov 71’), Miller (Marshall 84’), MacIntyre (Ellis 46’), Wilson, One (Simpson 71’). Subs not used: McKenna, Connolly, Forsyth, McLuckie.

What a laughable piece of “reporting” from the EEN. Take some agency report and add a paragraph at the start to try to make it relevant to the EEN but don’t apparently make the effort to identify who the Hearts (and Hibs) youngsters are. All I get from that is that our boy Friel played the full game and that McLuckie was an used sub. But I knew that anyway. 

Edited by Niemi’s gloves

Niemi’s gloves
40 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Any reason Wilson not in squad? He just u16 for Scotland?

Yes, he’s a 2007 compared to Friel and McLuckie both 2006s

4 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Yes, he’s a 2007 compared to Friel and McLuckie both 2006s

Sort of wonder if hes so good why not pop him up an agegroup tho. Scotland need to do this more. What i dont know is if hes better than the u17 strikers so this isnt a moan as totally baseless!

Bob Loblaw
On 18/05/2023 at 14:38, TheBigO said:

Sort of wonder if hes so good why not pop him up an agegroup tho. Scotland need to do this more. What i dont know is if hes better than the u17 strikers so this isnt a moan as totally baseless!

The strikers involved are probably simply ahead of him at this point tbf. Rory Wilson is incredibly highly rated and Ryan One, while only 16 is nearly 17 and has nearly 30 first team appearances for Hamilton this season.

Rocco Friel is on as a 2nd half substitute in final game v Germany. Scotland goalkeeper just made his 3rd penalty save of tournament.

Bobby McLuckie now on too 71 minutes. 2-0 down..

• 2 weeks later...
jamboinglasgow
7 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Its an interesting move and I do think it will be the better option. 

I do think moving games to a Friday is a good idea as well (though I think the U18s also play Friday) and means that management will be able to watch them more often.

8 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Its an interesting move and I do think it will be the better option. 

I do think moving games to a Friday is a good idea as well (though I think the U18s also play Friday) and means that management will be able to watch them more often.

I'm happy with this decision, if for no other reason than my hibs supporting father in law will see hearts every other friday when he looks out his back window!

Fxxx the SPFL
36 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

I'm just round the corner from ainslie Park. Would go to a few games if on a Friday. 

I believe there is a match tomorrow v Spartans according to my laddie.

Just discovered the B team are to play home games on a Friday night at Spartans ground.

looking forward to seeing more of the B team.

Kyle Lafferty HoMSC

There's definitely more of a point watching them now that there is a manager, sorry technical director, that might give them a chance in the first team

John Findlay

P

16 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

Is Spartan's pitch not astro? 

Probably the best Astro pitch in the SPFL next srason.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Aberdeen didnt want to lose him. B team is fine, not being a top class manager doesnt stop you from being a decent part of the coaching team

6 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Aberdeen didnt want to lose him. B team is fine, not being a top class manager doesnt stop you from being a decent part of the coaching team

Correct. Seems to be regarded as a decent coach. The B team needs a good coach not a good first team manager. 

Hungry hippo

Seems like a ideal choice for the B team.

We'll struggle to get a better candidate for that level and he's only available due to personal circumstances meaning Aberdeen was too far away.

1 minute ago, Hungry hippo said:

Seems like a ideal choice for the B team.

We'll struggle to get a better candidate for that level and he's only available due to personal circumstances meaning Aberdeen was too far away.

And we don't currently have a player to step up in to that role like Naisy did.  I'd hope maybe someone like Craigy, if he wants to get in to coaching would start there - or do some age group stuff, maybe help out with B and then progress to being B Team manager if he's doing well.  Wont always have this guy, or an ex-guy with Hearts connections who is getting in to it

Not that our coaches need to be jambos of course, but like the academy, I do like the build-our-own model.

Quite happy with Fox if it's him. Pretty well regarded as a coach and we are employing a guy who was a Premiership manager in charge of our kids in the 5th tier. Not sure what people really expect for that level.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***** The Hearts B super thread - Liam Fox confirmed as coach ******