• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Footballfirst

• Mikey1874

• Niemi’s gloves

• jamboinglasgow

Footballfirst

Disappointing result tonight. Defensively naive. Conceded two identical headed goals from corners without a challenge on the centre back. OGB's winner was also avoidable as it came from McFarlane spilling a straight forward shot into his midriff which was bundled over the line.

Hearts made sufficient chances to win the game comfortably with Kirk missing at least two opportunities when it looked easier to score. Pollock also missed with only the keeper to beat.  Hearts also created half a dozen chances with no-one getting on the end of great balls played in across the face of goal.

I cannie believe how young the team are, i dream of the day we have a few academy players breaking into the first team 😩

Footballfirst
19 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

I cannie believe how young the team are, i dream of the day we have a few academy players breaking into the first team 😩

The defence tonight was arguably a second string. Their ages were 16, 17, 17 and 19.  Others who could have played, but were missing for various reasons, include Forrester, Flatman, Darge, Rathie, Watson, Drysdale.

Gorgierools

Does Pollock's involvement in last night's match rule out any possible involvement on Saturday? A young kid though, must have the legs for it.

50 minutes ago, Gorgierools said:

Does Pollock's involvement in last night's match rule out any possible involvement on Saturday? A young kid though, must have the legs for it.

I wondered that myself, however he's just back from injury so arguably 90 minutes is a good thing. Couldn't see him starting anyways so shouldn't stop him being on the bench.

Gorgierools
35 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

I wondered that myself, however he's just back from injury so arguably 90 minutes is a good thing. Couldn't see him starting anyways so shouldn't stop him being on the bench.

Hope so,gets a share of the win bonus 

CornhillHearts
9 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Disappointing result tonight. Defensively naive. Conceded two identical headed goals from corners without a challenge on the centre back. OGB's winner was also avoidable as it came from McFarlane spilling a straight forward shot into his midriff which was bundled over the line.

That's a pity as thought McFarlane was having a good game, (had to leave at 2-1). As noted, game should've been done and dusted by that point. 

Footballfirst

The B Team could be struggling to make up a decent squad for tomorrow's game, depending on how many end up on the bench with the first team.  Pollock and Tait would be the likeliest candidates.

It was a young defence that played on Tuesday night, but two of the back four, Friel and Nair, just played the full 90 mins in this afternoon's 4-3 win for the U18s v Aberdeen. Forrester should be back from suspension and possibly Rathie if he has recovered from illness.

Flatman and Smutek will both be out for a few weeks and Neilson also missed Tuesday's game with a thigh strain. Wilson is out recovering from illness and Stevenson and Thomas also missed out during the week.

Potential midfield replacements in Duncan, Chisholm, Crookson and Hambrook all started today's U18 game.

bobby bombscare

Can a yone share how Lewis Neilson is doing in the B team? 

When seeing him at 1st team level, I always felt like he could do with a season at a lower level to play every week and toughen him up a bit. Interested in hearing how he has been doing at this level as it is easy to forget that he is still quite young! 

Niemi’s gloves
1 hour ago, bobby bombscare said:

Can a yone share how Lewis Neilson is doing in the B team? 

When seeing him at 1st team level, I always felt like he could do with a season at a lower level to play every week and toughen him up a bit. Interested in hearing how he has been doing at this level as it is easy to forget that he is still quite young! 

Lewis Neilson hasn’t been playing that regularly for the B team. Since the start of 2023 he’s been an unused sub for the first team on something like 8 occasions and got a few minutes on the park another time. As a result, he’s only played three times for the B team in 2023. The one occasion I’ve seen him, he was one of the better B team players but not an exceptional standout. 

Footballfirst

Soundly beaten 4-0 today by University of Stirling.

Appear to have had two or three decent chances but failed to convert any.

Footballfirst

Pretty poor result away to bottom club Dalbeattie tonight, albeit with a very young side. The 0-0 draw confirms Dalbeattie finishing in bottom place with almost certain relegation to either the EOS or SOS.

The absence of Pollock and Tait suggests that they will at least be on the bench for the first team on Saturday.

The Mighty Thor
9 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Dalbeattie finishing in bottom place with almost certain relegation to either the EOS or SOS.

I hope that's a typo for WOS as I don't fancy a trek to Dalbeattie for any of the EOS premier teams 😂

Naisy’s influence clear to see today across Hearts as a club. B Team beaten by 4-1 earlier in the season by Bo’ness. Hearts B win 2-0 today . Awesome second half of the season performance.

Good first tilt from the lads. Take the ppg for the last 20 games and we're right up top. And plenty 16-18 yearolds learning as they go.

Perhaps as important as anything else, the rigours of 36 competitive matches at ANY level is something young pros havent had for years. Can only be positive.

Footballfirst

It was a bruising encounter for both sides.  The first half was pretty even, but Hearts had the better of the second half.

Bo'ness played like the experienced junior side that they once were, claiming for everything, milking every challenge and pressurising the ref (who was very lenient and inconsistent for the most part).

Macaulay Tait somehow managed to get a yellow card for being barged into the railings by the dugout, then pushed to the ground by another Bo'ness player.  A short time later, he was the meat in the middle of a nasty sandwich/challenge and a fore arm smash that left him with a cut over his left eye.  Bo'ness' Michael Gemmell admitted to the Hearts bench that it was a fore arm, but for reasons only known to himself the ref didn't even speak to either of the Bo'ness players involved.

There was another flare up involving several players on both sides when Alassen Jones took exception to a foul by Finlay Pollock, raising his hands in the process. Jones, Pollock and Luke Rathie were all shown a yellow card for their involvement.

The two goals were exactly what was required to silence the moaners on the side lines. Adam Forrester found himself with a free header for the first and Callum Sandilands scored from close range after Mackenzie Kirk outpaced the full back down the left and his low cross set up a simple finish.

Edited by Footballfirst

Niemi’s gloves

I see from the SFA website that the U-18s still have something like eight games to play, including home and aways  against Hibs, and away games against both Celtic and Rangers. (This apparently includes playing Hibs at 2pm on 23 May and Celtic at 7pm the same day!!)

It will be interesting to see whether guys like Tait, Rathie, Sandilands, McLuckie and Forrester now get played in these U 18 games, having been playing regularly in the B team (in some cases all season or in other cases in recent months). 

1 hour ago, Portable Badger said:

Thanks everyone for your valuable updates over the season. They are very much appreciated.

I echo this

1 hour ago, Portable Badger said:

Thanks everyone for your valuable updates over the season. They are very much appreciated.

I echo this

Niemi’s gloves

https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/article/new-deal-for-mcluckie

New three year deal for Bobby McLuckie, 16 year old who has made big strides in the LL this season. 

“Defender” in the first sentence is a bit misleading. Left sided wing back/winger as in the second sentence is a much better description of how he’s been used and his main strengths, I think. 

9 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

New three year deal for Bobby McLuckie, 16 year old who has made big strides in the LL this season. 

“Defender” in the first sentence is a bit misleading. Left sided wing back/winger as in the second sentence is a much better description of how he’s been used and his main strengths, I think. 

Good news. 

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

This BBC article demonstrates the failure of Premiership clubs to give youth a chance.  Only 18 players, aged 21 or under, have started a match this season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65394532

Its spot on but regurgitates what every fan seems to be saying.

The pathway is too great, managers are under too much pressure, English clubs poach ours. 

Change is needed from the top in the SFA but they seem too focused on 2 teams in Glasgow playing 4 times against each other. 

Reserve team football and a bigger league playing each other twice only, mandate you need X amount of u21 in a matchday squad (especially with 5 subs now!?)

Until change is made I worry we'll all go round in circles saying the same points in the article

davemclaren
3 hours ago, jambo19 said:

Its spot on but regurgitates what every fan seems to be saying.

The pathway is too great, managers are under too much pressure, English clubs poach ours. 

Change is needed from the top in the SFA but they seem too focused on 2 teams in Glasgow playing 4 times against each other. 

Reserve team football and a bigger league playing each other twice only, mandate you need X amount of u21 in a matchday squad (especially with 5 subs now!?)

Until change is made I worry we'll all go round in circles saying the same points in the article

I think the other clubs are the ones focussed on the two giant clubs in Scotland, so as to get sufficient crumbs from the table. 

Portable Badger
10 hours ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Good stuff. Not seen him play myself but he’s had a fair few positive write ups this season it seems.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Hopefully none of the Premier League B teams are in this farce next season. I said that before the season kicked off and I will still say it. It remains a Trojan Horse for the weegies and their plans and we are giving them succour by being in it too.

davemclaren
10 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Hopefully none of the Premier League B teams are in this farce next season. I said that before the season kicked off and I will still say it. It remains a Trojan Horse for the weegies and their plans and we are giving them succour by being in it too.

I think it's already been agreed for next season. 

Footballfirst
23 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I think it's already been agreed for next season. 

It has. It was a 10-5 vote in favour, with Dalbeattie abstaining.

11 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I agree with you, but as its already been agreed I'm glad Hearts B are involved.  

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***** The Hearts B super thread - Liam Fox confirmed as coach ******