• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• JamboAl

• Unknown user

• davemclaren

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I'm being nosy here but is there an 'omerta' in the gay pub and club scene whereby famous folk who don't want it to be known can be comfortable that they can be themselves without fear of someone who's spotted them dropping a message to a tabloid?

I suppose straight people can and do go to gay pubs and it doesn't mean to say they are gay. !  In fact they do..  So its not much a stigma going to those bars now, in fact its probably quite trendy to do so. Score some woke points maybe :) I can understand why he didn't say he was a professional footballer player. Up to him. Its his privacy. Said he was a physiotherapist. ;) 

I P Knightley
8 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

As I've always said, good career move. I've no idea how good a player he is or will be but the boot deals and newspaper columns will be far more prevalent for him. Good luck to him.

I was wondering whether I'd mis-read what you wrote but THD seems to have come to the same conclusion.

Are you really suggesting that he's done this as a calculated move to make more money out of the sport?

JudyJudyJudy
11 minutes ago, Jack Torrance said:

Well done to the boy, but like others I'm saddened this is still newsworthy. Thing that shocked me was he's the first footballer currently playing, to come out,  since Justin Fashanu. He was taken too soon. Hope this boy goes from strength to strength.

Always feel sorry for JF. He had so much adversity to attempt to overcome.  Being black, gay, fostered to a white family and a homophobic family ( brother John was *** to him). He never had a chance really. No wonder he went off the rails. A car crash waiting to happen. I recall seeing him out and about " on the scene" when he played for us. 

Oh and also throw in religion from various family members. 

JudyJudyJudy
15 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

As I've always said, good career move. I've no idea how good a player he is or will be but the boot deals and newspaper columns will be far more prevalent for him. Good luck to him.

image-23-10-21-06-58-16.gif

I P Knightley
Just now, JamesM48 said:

I suppose straight people can and do go to gay pubs and it doesn't mean to say they are gay. !  In fact they do..  So its not much a stigma going to those bars now, in fact its probably quite trendy to do so. Score some woke points maybe :) I can understand why he didn't say he was a professional footballer player. Up to him. Its his privacy. Said he was a physiotherapist. ;) 

But let's just say you were in a gay pub one evening and "Arthur" (renowned international sportsman) was there in a group of lads, clearly at home. If you went to the SupersoarawayScum and told their star bigot reporter that you'd seen, even got a sneak photo of, Arthur in that pub, would you ever go back or would you get your heid kicked in? (That sort of omerta).

5 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

And was he good with his hands, James?  😁

Tom Hardy’s Dug
2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Always feel sorry for JF. He had so much adversity to attempt to overcome.  Being black, gay, fostered to a white family and a homophobic family ( brother John was *** to him). He never had a chance really. No wonder he went off the rails. A car crash waiting to happen. I recall seeing him out and about " on the scene" when he played for us. 

Bet he earned loads of cash though and decent boots before he took his life…

JudyJudyJudy
7 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Still was very unhappy really.   I actually think the racism he faced and the issues of his black identity were even more difficult for him to come to terms with than also being gay. All compounded together must have been a heavy burden for him.  Nowadays a black child would not be placed with white adoptive or foster parents really.  Although they did appear to be very nice ( he spoke warmly of them )

JudyJudyJudy
11 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

And was he good with his hands, James?  😁

and everything else......... :) 

image-23-10-21-06-58-14.gif

Jeffros Furios
13 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

A guy was shouting at me outside CC Blooms , I went over and stuck the heid on him .

jamboinglasgow

Good on him, echo what others say. He has got ahead of the media outing him and can see the support that his teammates and supporters will give him. Still find it crazy you still get stories (usually in the Sun) where they will talk about an unnamed premier league footballer is gay, all feels a bit wink wink, like its a warning of we know who you are, make a story with us or we will publish your name.

I made the mistake to see the comments under his tweet announcing it and found it curious. There were a lot of Premier league clubs tweeting their support to them, usually with 1 reply to the club's tweet. Quite often it seemed to be the exact same tweet from different accounts saying that person will never support their club again because they gave support to a gay player. And when I mean the exact same tweet, it was the exact same wording on each tweet. Now this obviously means that they are bots tweeting this, but it does make me curious on who is directing these bots, a country? an organisation?

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

A guy was shouting at me outside CC Blooms , I went over and stuck the heid on him .

That seems to be a very heavy handed come on.  Why didn't you just go in and offer him a drink ?  Get to know each other ? Ps it wisnae me. 

I P Knightley
18 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

:biglaugh: but in a very dark way...

5 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Good on him, echo what others say. He has got ahead of the media outing him and can see the support that his teammates and supporters will give him. Still find it crazy you still get stories (usually in the Sun) where they will talk about an unnamed premier league footballer is gay, all feels a bit wink wink, like its a warning of we know who you are, make a story with us or we will publish your name.

I made the mistake to see the comments under his tweet announcing it and found it curious. There were a lot of Premier league clubs tweeting their support to them, usually with 1 reply to the club's tweet. Quite often it seemed to be the exact same tweet from different accounts saying that person will never support their club again because they gave support to a gay player. And when I mean the exact same tweet, it was the exact same wording on each tweet. Now this obviously means that they are bots tweeting this, but it does make me curious on who is directing these bots, a country? an organisation?

I imagine that the Mail is at least as bad.

ScandinavianJambo
1 hour ago, SCFHearts said:

I dont think there that many gay footballers

Theres like an obsession with some about this,  as if there is hundreds if not more scared to admit that they are homosexual just dont see it 

I think most  people couldnt give a jot if a players gay or not 

Each to there own i say 

I'm curious why there would not be. The % of homsexuality within the population overall is around 1 in 10. If it is lower or higher in football we do not know. However, to think there is not many gays in football is like saying there was no gays in the army before it became legal to be a soldier and LGBTQ... law and behold the law changed and suddenly gays where indeed in the armed forces. The attitude in the game compounded by the homophobic culture in the stands works much like the anti homsexual laws, it just makes people hide, out of fear for retribution.

That a young man dares to come out is to be applauded, as as it is needed for him (he now feels free to be himself & score goals as he said) and for the others who hopefully dare to follow. 

Edited by ScandinavianJambo

Tom Hardy’s Dug
11 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Still was very unhappy really.   I actually think the racism he faced and the issues of his black identity were even more difficult for him to come to terms with than also being gay. All compounded together must have been a heavy burden for him.  Nowadays a black child would not be placed with white adoptive or foster parents really.  Although they did appear to be very nice ( he spoke warmly of them )

Sorry mate - I was being heavily sarcastic in response to our antipodean Neanderthal earlier.

I meant none of what i said. Fashinu was also an incredibly brave but troubled young man. And no doubt the times at that time - which Kilpatrick still seems to live in - didn’t help and were partly to blame for how it all ended.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Sorry mate - I was being heavily sarcastic in response to our antipodean Neanderthal earlier.

I meant none of what i said. Fashinu was also an incredibly brave but troubled young man. And no doubt the times at that time - which Kilpatrick still seems to live in - didn’t help and were partly to blame for how it all ended.

That's fine. Yes he was a victim of his time. For a  variety of reasons. 

Dick Dastardly
4 minutes ago, ScandinavianJambo said:

I'm curious why there would not be. The % of homsexuality within the population overall is around 1 in 10. If it is lower or higher in football we do not know. That the sport's male dominated is perhaps a positive and a negative here. However, to think there is not many gays in football is like saying there was no gays in the army before it became legal to be a soldier and LGBTQ... law and behold the law changed and suddenly gays where indeed in the armed forces. The attitude in the game compounded by the homophobic culture in the stands works much like the anti homsexual laws, it just makes people hide, out of fear for retribution.

That a young man dares to come out is to be applauded, as as it is needed for him (he now feels free to be himself & score goals as he said) and for the others who hopefully dare to follow. 

Is it as high as 1 in 10? I've been googling a bit tonight, out of interest, and haven't found stats that say its that much. The national statistics estimate lgb numbers at 2.7%. Thats a lot lower than i thought, but even if you add in the 3% that wouldn't answer or didn't know its still way below 10%

Jeffros Furios
13 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

That seems to be a very heavy handed come on.  Why didn't you just go in and offer him a drink ?  Get to know each other ? Ps it wisnae me. 

I was leaving CC's and he was calling me  a p***

He was being rude :rifle:

JudyJudyJudy
5 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

I was leaving CC's and he was calling me  a p***

He was being rude :rifle:

Oh i thought he was in ccs and you were walking passed?  I abhor violence....however...... 

RustyRightPeg
1 hour ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Narrow minded arsehole. A teenage laddie having mental health issues bottling this up. If it had came out another teen footballer had committed suicide as a result of how he felt I bet you’d comment he should’ve spoke up. 

🤡 

ScandinavianJambo
15 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Is it as high as 1 in 10? I've been googling a bit tonight, out of interest, and haven't found stats that say its that much. The national statistics estimate lgb numbers at 2.7%. Thats a lot lower than i thought, but even if you add in the 3% that wouldn't answer or didn't know its still way below 10%

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/apr/05/10-per-cent-population-gay-alfred-kinsey-statistics?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

I suppose this articles explains the difference between statistics based on self reporting (which, in general, is the stats you highlight) and experience of LGB encounters, which widens the scope. If I use the army analogy again there where gays in the army, they just did not dare to come out. In a world where we only relatively recently started to accept homsexuality eg where less than 10 years ago men and woman of the same sex could not get married, where only one gay footballer, until today, has come out, owning LGB experiences and coming out as gay in a eg a census is hugely different....

JudyJudyJudy
45 minutes ago, ScandinavianJambo said:

I'm curious why there would not be. The % of homsexuality within the population overall is around 1 in 10. If it is lower or higher in football we do not know. However, to think there is not many gays in football is like saying there was no gays in the army before it became legal to be a soldier and LGBTQ... law and behold the law changed and suddenly gays where indeed in the armed forces. The attitude in the game compounded by the homophobic culture in the stands works much like the anti homsexual laws, it just makes people hide, out of fear for retribution.

👍

Geoff Kilpatrick
12 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Narrow minded arsehole. A teenage laddie having mental health issues bottling this up. If it had came out another teen footballer had committed suicide as a result of how he felt I bet you’d comment he should’ve spoke up. 

🤡

Whoosh! I'm talking about how the media and advertisers will treat him. You can be cynical about that, as I am, and wish the guy well at the same time.

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

I was wondering whether I'd mis-read what you wrote but THD seems to have come to the same conclusion.

Are you really suggesting that he's done this as a calculated move to make more money out of the sport?

To clarify, NO I'M NOT.

I'm glad for him that he came out. That doesn't bother me in any way, shape or form.

All I'm saying is that he will suddenly find all sorts of other offers flowing his way now that he has done so. That's the media and advertising industries doing, not him.

Sigh.

Smoked-Glass
45 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Some ppl will be BI but have opted for straight relationship. Therefore we ll never know...if you see what I mean.

Sub4TiddlerMurray
2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I think across the UK there will be hundreds. What percentage of the general population do you think is gay?

Now there's a question. Years ago, the consensus seemed to be 10%.

But, thankfully, there's more awareness that sexuality isn't that easily defined and things are much more fluid and flexible. People have much more freedom to be who they are, rather than just gay or straight.

Which kind of makes it really disappointing that it's taken till now and a 17 year old to lead the way.

davemclaren
4 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

But, thankfully, there's more awareness that sexuality isn't that easily defined and things are much more fluid and flexible. People have much more freedom to be who they are, rather than just gay or straight.

Which kind of makes it really disappointing that it's taken till now and a 17 year old to lead the way.

According to the ONS figures I could find, around 5% of males self identify as gay. 

50 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

To clarify, NO I'M NOT.

I'm glad for him that he came out. That doesn't bother me in any way, shape or form.

All I'm saying is that he will suddenly find all sorts of other offers flowing his way now that he has done so. That's the media and advertising industries doing, not him.

Sigh.

Very strange that that would be what you choose to focus your energy on rather than than the fact that a 17 year old just became the first pro footballer in the UK to publicly come out since Justin Fashnau.

I honestly hope he does get all the offers you’ve predicted & gets to use his platform to empower other young athletes struggling with their sexuality to be themselves. Wish him all the very best.

Geoff Kilpatrick
4 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

Very strange that that would be what you choose to focus your energy on rather than than the fact that a 17 year old just became the first pro footballer in the UK to publicly come out since Justin Fashnau.

I honestly hope he does get all the offers you’ve predicted & gets to use his platform to empower other young athletes struggling with their sexuality to be themselves. Wish him all the very best.

Perhaps it is because there has been such a spurious claim in the past that football has been so homophobic that no one could come out when in truth that was also a media confection as well.

So yes, I am cynical about the noise surrounding it but that isn't Jake Daniels fault.

Jambo 4 Ever
1 hour ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Very true

And to think some of our own supporters though it was acceptable to chant “oh the hibees are gay” 

Sub4TiddlerMurray
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

According to the ONS figures I could find, around 5% of males self identify as gay. 

5% self-identify, but how many prefer not to say? And does it matter?

What difference does it make whether it's 5% or 10% or 45%?

The point surely is that people should be able to define who they are without prejudice and irrespective of what proportion of the population they share similarities with. There are many things that combine to make who we are. Sexual identity is just one characteristic. Being a Hearts supporter is another.....and clearly the most important 😉

The Bannon Flick

Good luck to the guy - sadly in this day and age this is still a brave decision.

Hopefully this will be a step towards making other players comfortable in coming out. 

Sub4TiddlerMurray
30 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Very true

And to think some of our own supporters though it was acceptable to chant “oh the hibees are gay” 

Hands up. I thought it was really funny at the time. Because it was a very spontaneous response to 7 Nation Army being played at Hampden.  And then it was, oh shit, that"s actually homophobic. A bit like when you find yourself enthusiastically singing along to "Hullo, Hullo, we are the Gorgie boys" and then stop when remember its sectarian message. It wasn't a horrible hate thing, more a moment when you look back and think "maybe not the best thing to do" and let's say no more and move on.

JudyJudyJudy
7 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Very true

I used to cringe and feel deeply embarrassed when they sang that at matches. Hated it. Even anticipating it coming on made me anxious. I know it might sound dramatic but i felt it was very homophobic. I am glad its basically died a death.  Most supporters noted that it wasnt acceptable actually apart from the loud minority. 

JudyJudyJudy
7 hours ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Hands up. I thought it was really funny at the time. Because it was a very spontaneous response to 7 Nation Army being played at Hampden.  And then it was, oh shit, that"s actually homophobic. A bit like when you find yourself enthusiastically singing along to "Hullo, Hullo, we are the Gorgie boys" and then stop when remember its sectarian message. It wasn't a horrible hate thing, more a moment when you look back and think "maybe not the best thing to do" and let's say no more and move on.

👍

Do you think we will ever get to the stage of not giving a flying feck what adult you shag - its beyond boring.

Unknown user
51 minutes ago, briever said:

Do you think we will ever get to the stage of not giving a flying feck what adult you shag - its beyond boring.

I'd have no problem waking up gay tomorrow. In fact I'd already have given it a shot except I've never met the **** I wanted to ****.

Naisys Tackle
43 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I'd have no problem waking up gay tomorrow. In fact I'd already have given it a shot except I've never met the **** I wanted to ****.

Being in a relationship with a like minded bloke would probably be easier in some ways than the whack job lassies I tend to meet.

Good luck to the boy in his footballing career and happiness off the pitch. 

Bull's-eye

Up to the lad himself, if he feels better in himself then I don't really see what it's got to do with anyone else. Allegedly he told his sister 1st and scored 4 goals a few days later.

Not sure what all the "coming out" chat is all about though. Coming out of what?

He's obviously a talented footballer and hopefully that's what he becomes famous for in the future.

Dick Dastardly
14 hours ago, ScandinavianJambo said:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/apr/05/10-per-cent-population-gay-alfred-kinsey-statistics?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

I suppose this articles explains the difference between statistics based on self reporting (which, in general, is the stats you highlight) and experience of LGB encounters, which widens the scope. If I use the army analogy again there where gays in the army, they just did not dare to come out. In a world where we only relatively recently started to accept homsexuality eg where less than 10 years ago men and woman of the same sex could not get married, where only one gay footballer, until today, has come out, owning LGB experiences and coming out as gay in a eg a census is hugely different....

But that article, as well as the study in the 50s, differentiates between people who have gay or bisexual encounters and people who are actually gay. These people may or may not regard themselves as gay or bi. 

The article also states:

Over an age-range from 16 to 74, 1% of women and 1.5% of men consider themselves gay/lesbian, and 1.4% of women and 1% of men think of themselves as bisexual

If the 10% figure is to used it must surely just be based on guess work if, as you put, the figures from censuses and poll are not to be believed 

Anyway, we are getting off topic. 

As i said previously, well done to the lad and hope he has a long and successful career. 30 goals in season at youth level, of i remember correctly? Could do a fine job playing up front for us

Dick Dastardly
13 hours ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Some ppl will be BI but have opted for straight relationship. Therefore we ll never know...if you see what I mean.

Yeah, i understand that. And at the end of the day it doesn't really matter. As long as folk are happy 😊 

Roxy Hearts

Well done Jake. It's society that needs to adjust not you! Brave lad especially in these social media times.

I have a gay cousin and he's good Hearts man. 

doctor jambo
46 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Being in a relationship with a like minded bloke would probably be easier in some ways than the whack job lassies I tend to meet.

Good luck to the boy in his footballing career and happiness off the pitch. 

Many times in my life I have pondered this and wished I had been gay.

17 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

What a pile of shite