• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• JamboAl

• Unknown user

• davemclaren

Fxxx the SPFL
3 minutes ago, Angel eyes said:

Hope your career goes from strength to strength.

Yep saw his interview on sky sports brave lad

Only 17 too. Must've took a lot to come out openly at such a young age. Seems like a good young talent and hopefully coming out so early means he's allowed to just focus on his football and get better on the park. 

Hopefully it all blows over pretty quickly and there's no real need for such media coverage over a players sexuality. I get that it's a bit of a taboo subject in sport still, but I personally couldn't care what sexuality a player is. In the nicest way possible of course.

All the best to the young man.

I felt that papers and the media were trying to pressure gay footballers to come out over the years to sell headlines. Good luck to Jake and his career scored 30 goals this season in reserve football for Blackpool.

I agree with what @Locky said. I couldn’t care less what sexuality you are in life, footballers won’t change my opinion either 

There will be a lot of folk who will be against it and will have to give there pointless opinions on it there the people with the issue. 

Captain Sausage

A sad indictment of society that this is considered newsworthy but fair play to the lad! Hope his footballing career works out, seems a decent talent.

JudyJudyJudy

Yes good on him for taking control of this issue and not let the scum media let him live in fear of his " secret". 

For those who say it doesn't matter in this day and age and its " 2022" tell that to the nutters who abuse either verbally or physically gay or lesbian people and online bullying too. Those nutters usually use their religion to support their hatred. Or in the closet.  

It was only a few months ago i was verbally abused walking into a gay bar.  A hibbee lad * they had been playing that day was walking passed. He was pissed looked and me and called me a P***.  I told him to GTF . Luckily for him my partner didn't hear it as he was already in the pub. . He would have had a more robust response. 

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Jake Daniels…..well done son.
kingantti1874
26 minutes ago, gjcc said:

Good on him. 
a bit shite that this kinda thing is deemed newsworthy. 

agreed. Commend him but it’s a bit sad that someone needs to publicly declare their preferences. 

10 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes good on him for taking control of this issue and not let the scum media let him live in fear of his " secret". 

For those who say it doesn't matter in this day and age and its " 2022" tell that to the nutters who abuse either verbally or physically gay or lesbian people and online bullying too. Those nutters usually use their religion to support their hatred. Or in the closet.  

It was only a few months ago i was verbally abused walking into a gay bar.  A hibbee lad * they had been playing that day was walking passed. He was pissed looked and me and called me a P***.  I told him to GTF . Luckily for him my partner didn't hear it as he was already in the pub. . He would have had a more robust response. 

Abuse like that says a great deal about the abuser.  Same as the racists and the people who chant sectarian bile.  Losers to the core.

The Hogfather

Well done to him for having the strength to come out. Even in 2022 a lot of people struggle to admit who they are for fear of judgement from others. The world isn't as accepting as some might think it is.

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Kiwidoug said:

Abuse like that says a great deal about the abuser.  Same as the racists and the people who chant sectarian bile.  Losers to the core.

Yeah it was fairly pathetic. Even though I'm older now it still hit a raw nerve and spoiled my night really. 

7 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

You're right and I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but I feel that the more these things are highlighted just gives these weapons ammo to flag it up. Things like this should of course be welcomed and any argument against that is ridiculous. I hope for a time though where players don't feel the need to have to justify their private lives. It's similar to racism. As the great Morgan Freeman put it, if you want to stop racism, then stop talking about it. People shouldn't need to be labelled as black, white or whatever, and sexuality is the same. I'd like to think that if we were more blaise about these subjects, it gives idiots less opportunity to hit out with homophobic opinions. Sadly, you'll probably never truly eradicate it though.

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Locky said:

Sadly, you'll probably never truly eradicate it though.

Yep

3 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

The greatest form of attention seeking I can think of. I refuse to believe that people can truly live their lives in hate or fear of someone's race or sexuality. Anyone with such unsavoury views, IMO, has unaddressed issues in their lives and seem to want to hold these opinions as some form of identity because their own lives are a shambles. All pretty sad really.

Bazzas right boot
56 minutes ago, Smoked-Glass said:

And coke?

Ohh, I read that differently. 🙄🤣🤣

Good for, the lad, hopefully it removes any removing stigma for other and future players. 

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, Locky said:

The greatest form of attention seeking I can think of. I refuse to believe that people can truly live their lives in hate or fear of someone's race or sexuality. Anyone with such unsavoury views, IMO, has unaddressed issues in their lives and seem to want to hold these opinions as some form of identity because their own lives are a shambles. All pretty sad really.

They exist. 

In America it's still rife. 

fabienleclerq
23 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Sorry you have to put up with that. 

Jake Daniels, his sexuality is irrelevant to me tbh but if it helps other people fair enough. He's going to get a lot of attention and not all good, hope it doesn't damage his career. L

The Treasurer
45 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

I felt that papers and the media were trying to pressure gay footballers to come out over the years to sell headlines. Good luck to Jake and his career scored 30 goals this season in reserve football for Blackpool.

I agree with what @Locky said. I couldn’t care less what sexuality you are in life, footballers won’t change my opinion either 

There will be a lot of folk who will be against it and will have to give there pointless opinions on it there the people with the issue. 

30 goals 

Could do a job 

Sub4TiddlerMurray
8 minutes ago, Locky said:

A lot of people grew up in a culture that made it difficult to be open minded. Casual homophobia, racism and misogyny was considered to be "normal".

The fact that Jake is the only openly gay footballer in the UK tells you all we need to know about how far we still have to go....but, hey, this is a very good first step in the right direction.

Tynecastlesmychurch

Good on the kid! Ohh dear I’m finally at that age where I’m calling others kids! Ffs 🤦‍♂️ 

In all seriousness that’s really brave of the lad knowing what kind of idiots are out there ready to throw abuse at people for no reason whatsoever. 

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

Sorry you have to put up with that. 

Jake Daniels, his sexuality is irrelevant to me tbh but if it helps other people fair enough. He's going to get a lot of attention and not all good, hope it doesn't damage his career. L

Thanks . Ive hard worse but got over it.  Toughens you up.  Yes hopefully he rides the storm out and it would be nice if any rival fans are challenged if they start singing homophobic chants.  ( if they do ) In my experience homophobia at matches is definitely on the decline which is great news . Same with racist and misogynist bile. 

Rocky jamboa

Fair play to the lad for coming out. A shame its a young 17 year old that has to take the burden of the only player in Britain to come out. However, hopefully it will open the flood gates a bit and some more senior pros will come out in support of him. 

Hoping that its out in the open now and the guy can get on with his career. 

It's a shame in the 21st century he has to disclose his sexuality. 

Edited by Rocky jamboa

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Tynecastlesmychurch said:

Good on the kid! Ohh dear I’m finally at that age where I’m calling others kids! Ffs 🤦‍♂️ 

In all seriousness that’s really brave of the lad knowing what kind of idiots are out there ready to throw abuse at people for no reason whatsoever. 

Ultimately he will be happier and content within himself for being truthful and authetic .  He will face some abuse I feel but he will have a lot of support too,  Cant see it being a massive issue for him hopefully and its soon forgotten about and the only abuse he might get is if he plays crap or misses a penalty or the like 

Saw his interview and he speaks really well and seems like he's got his head screwed on. I think he'll be fine. 🙂

By the time football is back after the summer, or he breaks into the first team, hopefully noone will give a toss about his sexuality.

Oops just realised he has made a first team debut 😁

Edited by neilnunb

59 minutes ago, Sir Craig Gordon said:

There's a joke there...

:lol: Thought the same.

If he doesn't release a book called Jake Daniels and Coke then he's missed a trick.

In all seriousness though fair play to him. 

I always thought Gallagher for Palace / Chelsea came out though

Dick Dastardly

Good on him. Glad to see his team mates are all being supportive as well. Must be a massive weight off his shoulders 

AlphonseCapone
21 minutes ago, Rocky jamboa said:

Fair play to the lad for coming out. A shame its a young 17 year old that has to take the burden of the only player in Britain to come out. However, hopefully it will open the flood gates a bit and some more senior pros will come out in support of him. 

Hoping that its out in the open now and the guy can get on with his career. 

It's a shame in the 21st century he has to disclose his sexuality. 

It is but I also think part of that is the attitude of youngsters to sexuality is much different to older generations. They're growing up in a society that's much more tolerant of these issues, of course not perfect, and I think they're much more comfortable and relaxed with it as a result. 

Very brave for such a young lad and could really be a catalyst for ‘about time’ change.  I’d imagine several more gay footballers may well come out if they see him being supported.  It should of course be completely irrelevant, hopefully one day it will be.   Good on him 👍

I dont think there that many gay footballers

Theres like an obsession with some about this,  as if there is hundreds if not more scared to admit that they are homosexual just dont see it 

I think most  people couldnt give a jot if a players gay or not 

Each to there own i say 

Rocky jamboa
7 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

It is but I also think part of that is the attitude of youngsters to sexuality is much different to older generations. They're growing up in a society that's much more tolerant of these issues, of course not perfect, and I think they're much more comfortable and relaxed with it as a result. 

Yeah, I think you're right. Listening to his interview, he came over as if it isn't a big deal - and he's right.

Pans Jambo

I hope this has an overall positive impact in football.

Anyone with half a brain knows there must be (& has been) a lot more gay footballers.

Society has all walks of life, football is no different.

Brave move by the lad & I hope more do the same and normalise something in football thats very normal in everyday life. 

Edited by Pans Jambo

davemclaren
18 minutes ago, SCFHearts said:

Theres like an obsession with some about this,  as if there is hundreds if not more scared to admit that they are homosexual just dont see it 

Each to there own i say 

I think across the UK there will be hundreds. What percentage of the general population do you think is gay?

Just now, davemclaren said:

I think across the UK there will be hundreds. What percentage of the general population do you think is gay?

I dont know

There will be plenty gay youngsters just not sure there are high numbers in football well male

I think youngsters coming out is no big deal anymore and rightly so 

Do The Dance
27 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Yeah, this is my thoughts too.

There are openly gay kids in schools these days, and they are accepted, never happened when I was at school 20 years ago.

Shows that views on these things are generational and passed on by parents imo. By the time my kids are parents it will barely be discussed, and moments like this speed that up.

RustyRightPeg

For a 17 year old lad, in the spotlight and circumstances he was, what a bloody incredible interview he gave. Amazing words. 

ToadKiller Dog

It's good for the game respect to the boy a very mature interview  .

My guess many a talented young gay teen with potential to be a full time footballer has chosen not to progress in the game over the years  due to fear over homophobic slurs and bullying . 

If this helps change that then that's a positive .

JudyJudyJudy
44 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I know. Night and day differences from when i was 17.  Horrible time really. 

JudyJudyJudy
39 minutes ago, SCFHearts said:

Each to there own i say 

well I've met a few ! One didn't tell me he was a footballer. ( we were in a gay pub so understood his reluctance )  Few months later I saw him being interviewed on STV news about scoring a " wonder " goal.  ;)  Its still very underground , sadly but this might be a positive start.. In particular since he is also so young so is taking a chance , unlike an older player passed his playing days nearly. 

I P Knightley
19 minutes ago, Do The Dance said:

Yeah, this is my thoughts too.

There are openly gay kids in schools these days, and they are accepted, never happened when I was at school 20 years ago.

Shows that views on these things are generational and passed on by parents imo. By the time my kids are parents it will barely be discussed, and moments like this speed that up.

If the school my lads are at is similar to the one JD was at, he'll have come through with his homosexuality accepted and he'll have had the same friendship group at 16 as he had at the start. No stigmatisation but the lads will say, "oh, yeah, s/he's definitely gay" almost in passing. The school knows to look out for and clamp down on homophobic bullying and slack use of the term "gay" to be abusive. It's a million miles from when I was at school and all the better for it.

Jack Torrance

Well done to the boy, but like others I'm saddened this is still newsworthy. Thing that shocked me was he's the first footballer currently playing, to come out,  since Justin Fashanu. He was taken too soon. Hope this boy goes from strength to strength.

Geoff Kilpatrick

As I've always said, good career move. I've no idea how good a player he is or will be but the boot deals and newspaper columns will be far more prevalent for him. Good luck to him.

I P Knightley
12 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

well I've met a few ! One didn't tell me he was a footballer. ( we were in a gay pub so understood his reluctance )  Few months later I saw him being interviewed on STV news about scoring a " wonder " goal.  ;)  Its still very underground , sadly but this might be a positive start.. In particular since he is also so young so is taking a chance , unlike an older player passed his playing days nearly. 

I'm being nosy here but is there an 'omerta' in the gay pub and club scene whereby famous folk who don't want it to be known can be comfortable that they can be themselves without fear of someone who's spotted them dropping a message to a tabloid?

Perhaps it happens but the press think it's not worth running with. I've a handful of mates who are in the media (mainly sports) and they'll quietly spill all sorts of beans about very famous names, stories which never make it to the press as they calculate that more damage will be done to their brand but, like Jimmy Savile, everybody has heard the rumours. (Do I need to explain that I'm not trying to equate homosexuality with 'being Jimmy Savile'? :) )

The other thing that crossed my mind is that there are cases where the press has got their hands on a story and threatened to splash the story unless the 'victim' takes a pre-emptive strike and cooperates on the story. I'm not saying that's what's happened here; I don't have Sky but can only assume it's improved since being owned by Murdoch.

Edited by I P Knightley

Tom Hardy’s Dug
59 minutes ago, SCFHearts said:

Each to there own i say 

Nothing to suggest it won’t be around the population average of 10%

32 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

For a 17 year old lad, in the spotlight and circumstances he was, what a bloody incredible interview he gave. Amazing words. 

Totally agree mate - spoke very well and intelligently

8 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

As I've always said, good career move. I've no idea how good a player he is or will be but the boot deals and newspaper columns will be far more prevalent for him. Good luck to him.

What a cynical piece of shit you are. The boy was having mental health issues about it all and has taken it upon really you g shoulders to speak out.

Not a chance in hell he has done this for publicity. 

You must be some sad sack of an old man.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug