Jake Daniels…..well done son.

Angel eyes

15 hours ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Now there's a question. Years ago, the consensus seemed to be 10%.

But, thankfully, there's more awareness that sexuality isn't that easily defined and things are much more fluid and flexible. People have much more freedom to be who they are, rather than just gay or straight.

Which kind of makes it really disappointing that it's taken till now and a 17 year old to lead the way.

As long as they aren't transgender as that's not allowed according to one poster on here. 

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• JamboAl

• Unknown user

• davemclaren

13 hours ago, The Bannon Flick said:

Good luck to the guy - sadly in this day and age this is still a brave decision.

Hopefully this will be a step towards making other players comfortable in coming out. 

It's probably good he has come out at the end of the season. By the time next season starts nobody will remember (wishful thinking on my part) 

davemclaren
32 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

WTF this has to do with Hearts I don't know.

Mods - should this not be in the shed?

No - football related. 

The Terrace

For discussion of HMFC and football in general

35 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

No - football related. 

The Terrace

I suppose that could apply to almost any subject under the sun with any tenuous connection to football.

As I see it he has chosen to "come out" which is a life choice and he just happens to be a footballer.

davemclaren
Just now, JamboAl said:

I suppose that could apply to almost any subject under the sun with any tenuous connection to football.

As I see it he has chosen to "come out" which is a life choice and he just happens to be a footballer.

You can suppose what you like, but ultimately it’s not your decision. 😄

8 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I never claimed it was!😄

I asked a question.😄

Why on earth anyone, gay straight bi or any of the other options, feels the need to publicly announce their sexuality is beyond me

Its the most personal of private matters, of concern only to yourself and certainly not a football matter for debate. Keep it that way FFS

1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

Why on earth anyone, gay straight bi or any of the other options, feels the need to publicly announce their sexuality is beyond me

Its the most personal of private matters, of concern only to yourself and certainly not a football matter for debate. Keep it that way FFS

Agreed .Could be a  wee oney spinner as well but fair play to the kid  Re ..SKY with rip the backside !!!  out of this

Edited by SCFHearts

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

No - football related. 

The Terrace

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

:yas:

ScandinavianJambo
5 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

But that article, as well as the study in the 50s, differentiates between people who have gay or bisexual encounters and people who are actually gay. These people may or may not regard themselves as gay or bi. 

The article also states:

Over an age-range from 16 to 74, 1% of women and 1.5% of men consider themselves gay/lesbian, and 1.4% of women and 1% of men think of themselves as bisexual

If the 10% figure is to used it must surely just be based on guess work if, as you put, the figures from censuses and poll are not to be believed 

Anyway, we are getting off topic. 

As i said previously, well done to the lad and hope he has a long and successful career. 30 goals in season at youth level, of i remember correctly? Could do a fine job playing up front for us

I think the article highlights the problem with self reporting and identification of being LGB versus having LGB experiences (which is much higher %).

You are off course right that we are off topic. Yes, he sounds like a real prospect and I wish him all the best (and is welcome up her too!).

Thank's for the discussion, made me have to think about how to explain a longstanding arguments of mine 🙃

Blame society not the kid, this way he can openly live his life that way without having  to worry about someone else telling his story, he deserves nothing but praise for this 

6 minutes ago, lou said:

Blame society not the kid, this way he can openly live his life that way without having  to worry about someone else telling his story, he deserves nothing but praise for this 

It was actually a comment partly on society, who apparently need to know things they’ve got no business knowing. The kid has fed that rather than starved it like it needs to be. Nothing against him personally but if he wanted to live his life openly and quietly without judgement he picked a hell of a shit way to do it.

Edited by JimmyCant

Unknown user
6 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

It was actually a comment partly on society, who apparently need to know things they’ve got no business knowing. The kid has fed that rather than starved it like it needs to be. Nothing against him personally but if he wanted to live his life openly and quietly without judgement he picked a hell of a shit way to do it.

What do you care? If it's so insignificant then take your own advice, ignore it and move on rather than giving it oxygen.

Edited by Smithee

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

What do you care? If it's so insignificant then take your own advice, ignore it and move on rather than giving it oxygen.

I care about societies ‘need to know’ this shite and people feeding that need for no good reason that I can see. Thanks though, but I’ll comment on any thread I have a remote and loose interest in and I expect to be able to do that without you jumping on it everytime.

Probably stepping into a different debate here, however, I find the term ‘coming out’ bizarre in this day and age.

11 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Probably stepping into a different debate here, however, I find the term ‘coming out’ bizarre in this day and age.

Its  what you said to yer pals paernt when chapping the

door

Say '' is Steven coming out ''  changed days 

32 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

IMO it's not needed now, but feeds into the whole narcissistic nature of society at the mo - non binary is literally not a thing but celebs are beating down their insta doors to tell is they are this thing that's not a thing.

Within the context of football and sport in general then this is still a story, I do think its overegged a tad - I am sure there are plenty of players who are gay and the current generation of players will not bat an eyelid - as always its 50 something establishment fuds in the media who make this out to be something it probably isn't anymore.

Edited by briever

Weakened Offender
23 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

its " 2022" tell that to the nutters who abuse either verbally or physically gay or lesbian people 

Or Trans folk. Or young folk. Or people with weight problems. Or women in general. Or folk with serious health issues....

Unknown user
36 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I care about societies ‘need to know’ this shite and people feeding that need for no good reason that I can see. Thanks though, but I’ll comment on any thread I have a remote and loose interest in and I expect to be able to do that without you jumping on it everytime.

I'll comment on any thread, any comment and any poster I see fit, cheers. 

You're moaning about the subject being fed instead of starved, feeding the subject yourself 🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, davemclaren said:

:D

JudyJudyJudy
17 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Or Trans folk. Or young folk. Or people with weight problems. Or women in general. Or folk with serious health issues....

Looks whos talking............

Birregrande
1 hour ago, ScandinavianJambo said:

I think the article highlights the problem with self reporting and identification of being LGB versus having LGB experiences (which is much higher %).

You are off course right that we are off topic. Yes, he sounds like a real prospect and I wish him all the best (and is welcome up her too!).

Thank's for the discussion, made me have to think about how to explain a longstanding arguments of mine 🙃

:oohmatron:

Seriously though, I just heard someone on 5-live explain it means the lad can go out after a win for example with his partner.  What's the betting that if he had kept quiet, the very same news outlets stating their admiration of him would have been right onto a story of him [if his career goes well], with some sort of expose.  

3 minutes ago, Birregrande said:

:oohmatron:

Seriously though, I just heard someone on 5-live explain it means the lad can go out after a win for example with his partner.  What's the betting that if he had kept quiet, the very same news outlets stating their admiration of him would have been right onto a story of him [if his career goes well], with some sort of expose.  

I'm not so sure about that. Public opinion is now very much in favour of people being allowed to fancy whichever sex of person they want, and also that it's a person's choice whether or not to reveal their sexuality. A media outlet outing a young footballer against his wishes would result, imo, in some very nasty press for that outlet, and for that reason, I don't think the vast majority of media outlets would be interested in such an exposé. Social media is a different kettle of fish though, and this way everything is out in the open and so less need for Daniels to have to live through the distracting and potentially damaging "rumour phase". In essence he has taken control of the "story" himself, and that's a smart and strong move.

Dick Dastardly
1 hour ago, ScandinavianJambo said:

Happy to chat anytime! 

Jings Jimbob, you’re getting touchier as each day passes.  You seem to have developed a ‘style’ of either ignoring posts quoting you (if they don’t agree with you, of course), or being downright nippy and, as I say, touchy as touchy can be.

Is everything ok?  Can we help?

JudyJudyJudy
3 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Your out of touch. 

1 hour ago, lou said:

Exactly. Its external homophobia which can impact on the internal self of any gay person . In particular those in the closet.  A massive weight has been lifted from his shoulders. 

The issue was he probably would not have been able to live his life openly and quietly with the press hounding him for the big " scoop. Its been a massive pressure for him. 

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

True👍

3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I'm not so sure about that. Public opinion is now very much in favour of people being allowed to fancy whichever sex of person they want, and also that it's a person's choice whether or not to reveal their sexuality. A media outlet outing a young footballer against his wishes would result, imo, in some very nasty press for that outlet, and for that reason, I don't think the vast majority of media outlets would be interested in such an exposé. Social media is a different kettle of fish though, and this way everything is out in the open and so less need for Daniels to have to live through the distracting and potentially damaging "rumour phase". In essence he has taken control of the "story" himself, and that's a smart and strong move.

Yes he has been proactive and this is to be commended . Good on him and even if he doesn't make it as a footballer hes one hell of a sorted and together lad.  

JudyJudyJudy

I think its a rather " sensitive " issue for some of the Neanderthals who are amongst our support.  Some honestly just do not think that there are some gay football players.   Clearly still in the closet.  No wonder,  they have read some of the comments  other media outlets about it they will be too scared to come out. It will then have a knock on affect on their mental well being . However i have noticed loads of support for the lad on various platforms so that's heartening. 

JudyJudyJudy
11 minutes ago, jonesy said:

As good a time as any to drop ol' Norm into the discussion, I suppose.

Im confused. :) 

8 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Nonsense, James. There's a whole football club that we all 'outed' at Hampden in 2006.

I assumed that we were referring to the fans and players...

🎸

Confused part 2 :) 

23 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I think its a rather " sensitive " issue for some of the Neanderthals who are amongst our support.  Some honestly just do not think that there are some gay football players.   Clearly still in the closet.  No wonder,  they have read some of the comments  other media outlets about it they will be too scared to come out. It will then have a knock on affect on their mental well being . However i have noticed loads of support for the lad on various platforms so that's heartening. 

That's a novel way of gaining support.

Birregrande
41 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I think we are in agreement generally, I actually take on board what you've said there especially about social media. Hope it works out for the bloke.

2 minutes ago, Birregrande said:

I think we are in agreement generally, I actually take on board what you've said there especially about social media. Hope it works out for the bloke.

Indeed. :thumb:

JudyJudyJudy
7 minutes ago, jonesy said:

That's how it usually all starts, so I'm told.

Oh i was never " confused " I knew exactly what i wanted and got it ,,,:) 

image-23-10-21-06-58-14.gif

JudyJudyJudy
21 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

That's a novel way of gaining support.

I wasnt really looking for any support. I was just making an observation. 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Oh Jimmy, stop being a can't. 

Be a can. 

Don't be so angry about, well everything. 

Bazzas right boot

Folk thinking it's not a big deal and there is no issue in football. 

10 year ago we actually had a chant that was all about slagging hibs. How did we do that - we said they were all gay. 

This type of thing will trigger the same folk that hate wumin playing football on TV and boo the BLM kneeing stuff. 

They'll get all angry and take offence to others who embrace this and end up going on about folk being too woke as they burst a blood vessel trying to make a point that amongst all their anger and frustration they've forgotten. 

All they know is they are meant to be angry about it for some reason. 

Edited by Bazzas right boot

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

I wasnt really looking for any support. I was just making an observation. 

I know, but calling fellow posters neanderthals just because they don't see things as you do, does no good.

Edited by JamboAl

JudyJudyJudy
7 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I know, but calling fellow posters neanderthals just because they don't see things as you do, does no good.

Did i say it was any posters on this ? No 

11 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Did i say it was any posters on this ? No 

Not exactly but you did insult some of our support who don't necessarily see things as you do.

Not good patter!

27 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

He is right though, we do have neanderthals in our support as every other club has

JudyJudyJudy
24 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Not exactly but you did insult some of our support who don't necessarily see things as you do.

Not good patter!

Well they are Neanderthals in my book . 

“ see things as you do “? What an odd perspective 

JudyJudyJudy
17 minutes ago, lou said:

He is right though, we do have neanderthals in our support as every other club has

👍

Absolute Scenes

Not sure if it’s been covered or not here, but he’s not the second player to come out gay in the British football game, he’s actually the third. After Justin Fashneu it was a guy called Robbie Rogers who was at Leeds in 2013 when he came out. Not seeing him confirmed anywhere, but the poor guy must be watching on wondering why no one remembers him. Sorry, just the pedant in me

jamboinglasgow
2 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Not sure if it’s been covered or not here, but he’s not the second player to come out gay in the British football game, he’s actually the third. After Justin Fashneu it was a guy called Robbie Rogers who was at Leeds in 2013 when he came out. Not seeing him confirmed anywhere, but the poor guy must be watching on wondering why no one remembers him. Sorry, just the pedant in me

He wasn't playing at Leeds when he was openly gay. Its only when he went back to America. So they are correct that Daniels is the second player to be openly gay while playing in British Mens football.

4 hours ago, briever said:

IMO it's not needed now, but feeds into the whole narcissistic nature of society at the mo - non binary is literally not a thing but celebs are beating down their insta doors to tell is they are this thing that's not a thing.

Within the context of football and sport in general then this is still a story, I do think its overegged a tad - I am sure there are plenty of players who are gay and the current generation of players will not bat an eyelid - as always its 50 something establishment fuds in the media who make this out to be something it probably isn't anymore.

I think the LGBTQ community need to drop it also. For me it fuels any stigmas the narrow minded attach to being gay. No one has ever ‘come out’ as straight so I don’t see why you should have to ‘come out’ as anything else. 

Absolute Scenes
21 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

He wasn't playing at Leeds when he was openly gay. Its only when he went back to America. So they are correct that Daniels is the second player to be openly gay while playing in British Mens football.

Got you, maybe misinterpreted what the articles were saying.

On 16/05/2022 at 12:49, JamesM48 said:

Yes good on him for taking control of this issue and not let the scum media let him live in fear of his " secret". 

For those who say it doesn't matter in this day and age and its " 2022" tell that to the nutters who abuse either verbally or physically gay or lesbian people and online bullying too. Those nutters usually use their religion to support their hatred. Or in the closet.  

It was only a few months ago i was verbally abused walking into a gay bar.  A hibbee lad * they had been playing that day was walking passed. He was pissed looked and me and called me a P***.  I told him to GTF . Luckily for him my partner didn't hear it as he was already in the pub. . He would have had a more robust response. 

And to think I just had an irrational online dislike for you for talking shite, turns out you're gay as well...

Genuinely just ****ing with you JM48. Some of my greatest friends (both male and female) bat for the other side, and honestly, I'm truly a better person for having them in my life. As an aside,  I'm the best man at a civil partnership next year, which living in Texas ought to be interesting. But the truly sad fact is that in this day and age, something as trivial as sexuality is still seen as a 'thing' and worthy of great media discussion/opinion/comment is a shocking indictment of how far we haven't come as either a society or a species. 

Also, I don't know if you've mentioned it before on here (not that it's any of our business anyway), but regardless, my respect to you for having the minerals to state it in the public (online) domain. Even writing that seems an odd thing to have to do, because it shouldn't be, but unfortunately it's still the world we live in. 👍 

The way I look at things is simple: It doesn't matter if you are gay or straight, trans, black, white, yellow or identify as a potted plant. It's irrelevant. If you are a good **** you'll be treated like a good ****. If you act like an arsehole, you will be treated as same. 

JudyJudyJudy
6 hours ago, trotter said:

And to think I just had an irrational online dislike for you for talking shite, turns out you're gay as well...

Genuinely just ****ing with you JM48. Some of my greatest friends (both male and female) bat for the other side, and honestly, I'm truly a better person for having them in my life. As an aside,  I'm the best man at a civil partnership next year, which living in Texas ought to be interesting. But the truly sad fact is that in this day and age, something as trivial as sexuality is still seen as a 'thing' and worthy of great media discussion/opinion/comment is a shocking indictment of how far we haven't come as either a society or a species. 

Also, I don't know if you've mentioned it before on here (not that it's any of our business anyway), but regardless, my respect to you for having the minerals to state it in the public (online) domain. Even writing that seems an odd thing to have to do, because it shouldn't be, but unfortunately it's still the world we live in. 👍 

The way I look at things is simple: It doesn't matter if you are gay or straight, trans, black, white, yellow or identify as a potted plant. It's irrelevant. If you are a good **** you'll be treated like a good ****. If you act like an arsehole, you will be treated as same. 

😂😎 most are fine on this really . Intend to either ignore or challenge those others ! Im Glad I’m taking away the cliche of all gays “ being nice “ as I’m not the most popular in this 😂😂😂

Some of my other gay. Friends like football Some don’t . Unsure how many post on this but it would be nice to see others write about their experiences or opinions if relevant to a discussion ! 

I lived in Texas for a time! 

2 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

😂😎 most are fine on this really . Intend to either ignore or challenge those others ! Im Glad I’m taking away the cliche of all gays “ being nice “ as I’m not the most popular in this 😂😂😂

Some of my other gay. Friends like football Some don’t . Unsure how many post on this but it would be nice to see others write about their experiences or opinions if relevant to a discussion ! 

I lived in Texas for a time! 

It would be even nicer if they write about their experiences in the shed as the issue is a general one and not specifically related to football nor Hearts.