***** Official Heart of Midlothian versus Hibernian Scottish Cup Semi Final Thread *****

The Bannon Flick

Watt-Zeefuik
1 hour ago, No Idle Talk said:

It's hard to know whether Cammy Devlin should start this match or not. Only people within the club will know that. 

If Devlin does start, I am not in favour of dropping Aaron McEneff in order to shoehorn Halliday in as a left winger or to give Josh Ginnelly a start. Halliday is rubbish as a winger and Ginnelly doesn't deserve to start. He's been hopeless lately. I can see why people would want to play him on a big wide pitch like Hampden but I still wouldn't start him. McEneff has plenty of legs and will get around the pitch no bother. I actually think he is a real goal threat tomorrow. 

We have five subs. McEneff, Ginnelly, and Halliday are all good substitutes for different situations depending on how the game unfolds. I wouldn't start any of them though.

25 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Gordon

Akka Halkett Kingsley Cochrane 

Haring Devlin

GMS Boyce McKay

Simms

Halliday for Devlin if need be. 

Honestly the only worry I have for this game is the ref. I know people will say if we do our job then the referee doesn’t matter but just look at ER earlier in the season. The referee never just had an affect on the outcome, he decided that day that there was no way Hearts were getting a win.

Corrupt, incompetent whatever it was. Another performance like Don Robertson and we will be struggling. 

That lineup for me, again provided Devlin is fit. Even if he can't go 90', I'd have him on the pitch when we start.

The thing with Beaton is that he's not a bad or lazy ref like some in Scotland, but he gets his back up quickly and also likes to make "look at me" calls. He will start throwing cards around quickly if things get out of hand. Unfortunately the players need to be extra respectful of him or else he'll start making "oh yeah well I'll show you" calls. Smile at him, laugh a bit when talking to him, and he'll wind his neck in.

If we're going to be completely cynical, I'd say the attacking players should go to ground easily any time they're near Porteous, but not appeal for calls. Of course playing those kind of mind games takes your focus off of passing, tackling, and shooting, so it's probably a waste of time. But mostly, I'd say players shouldn't make a big dramatic deal of appealing for calls. Put your hand up, and if you don't get the call put your head down and get on with it.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Harry Potter

• Factuer Moi

• Morgan

Watt-Zeefuik
3 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Yip. 100% proffesional pse. Lets be honest, the first 20 mins last weekend were quite concerning. 

Wouldnt have Gino on unless 1 up and looking to kill it. Halliday deserves a runout but will struggle to last 90 mins at Hampden.

They will be desperate to crock BM in a 50/50 asap.

PH could be big player in this one .

Ignore the papers, new game, new ref, new venue. Lets go for it and dont drop the guard.

Big payday here means total focus reqd.

Exactly. Gino on for Simms perhaps if we're up Hibs are chasing the game. Give them plenty of heart attack runs at the back so they have to keep tracking back to cover.

highlandjambo3
6 hours ago, 5-1Jambo said:

How are ticket sales going for both sides? Guessing we have sold out but will their end be half empty again? 

Doubt it…….probably more like half full 🙄

Edited by highlandjambo3

27 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Only thing that can go wrong is if we get a player sent off or we miss all our chances and have one of those days. 

Generally those types of days don't happen v hibs.

Stay confident. 😁

The sun even shines on a dogs ass some days.

Credit: W. Snipes, White Men Can't Jump, c. 1992.

Cruickie's Moustache

Hopefully, regardless of who starts, we keep our concentration and do not give away an early goal like last week.

Any first 11 should be able to deal with Hibs, as was shown the longer Saturdays game went on.

If they don't have any new ideas on how to break us down then I can see our overall dominance winning the day.

Our bench is also stronger in terms of bringing on an attacking threat later in the game if need be and we also have options to shore up the defense as well if we needed to park the bus.

On paper it is Hearts all the day, but we have to be realistic that it is a derby semi and anything could happen. 

Rocky jamboa
5 hours ago, Rick Sanchez said:

I like the idea of Halliday as a left winger, similar to the Auchinleck game. It keeps them guessing and the potential to mix it up or change it.

Gordon

Atkinson

Halkett

Kingsley

Cochrane

Haring

Devlin

McKay

Boyce

Halliday

Simms

This is the line up I would go with. Was thinking maybe Woodburn instead of Halliday but Halliday probably deserving of a spot after last Saturday. 

A 343 would be fine as well, if Souttar is back. 

1 hour ago, DS98 said:

Gordon

Akka Halkett Kingsley Cochrane 

Haring Devlin

GMS Boyce McKay

Simms

Halliday for Devlin if need be. 

Honestly the only worry I have for this game is the ref. I know people will say if we do our job then the referee doesn’t matter but just look at ER earlier in the season. The referee never just had an affect on the outcome, he decided that day that there was no way Hearts were getting a win.

Corrupt, incompetent whatever it was. Another performance like Don Robertson and we will be struggling. 

One suspects this isn’t a random team🤔

Is there a chance Halliday will go where you’ve got GMS.

GMS, McEneff, Gino on the bench gives us a fair bit of pace and forward players if needs be later on.

Cadden Clarke and Doig are their attacking outlets so I’m thinking Halliday initially as he’s more defensive than GMS?

JudyJudyJudy
6 hours ago, TheBigO said:

And if they don't get it, they don't show up. Concession ticket in the bin.

Look at our attendances through some truly dire times the last 10 years. All while managing just fine to "demand".

We're very different clubs.

LOL id say they were " glory " hunters but thats obviously not true :0 

Leveins Battalion

Sometimes you just canny win as a football fan,dread going into a derby when were shite and get called overconfident when we have a decent team.😂

Pretty sure Robbie,Jig,Naismith and Lockey will have the boys well up for this.🇱🇻🇱🇻

Bazzas right boot
43 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

The sun even shines on a dogs ass some days.

Credit: W. Snipes, White Men Can't Jump, c. 1992.

It does. 

Hopefully it's our  underdog ass v Celtic/ ranger  in the final. 

23 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

GMS, McEneff, Gino on the bench gives us a fair bit of pace and forward players if needs be later on.

Cadden Clarke and Doig are their attacking outlets so I’m thinking Halliday initially as he’s more defensive than GMS?

It’s absolutely random at the moment. I’ve just held the belief since last Saturday’s team got named, that we will set up completely different in this one. 

Ever since we went to a 4-2-3-1 we’ve not turned in a bad performance. Six games, 4 wins and 2 draws. It’s just felt a lot more controlled. Also Boyce and McKay in their best positions with space in front of them.

Robbie is a big fan of GMS. I think he’s a stick on to play. The only thing I’m unsure of is Devlin. He’s definitely fit enough to play a part. As harsh as it is, I’d rather have a 75/80% fit Devlin than Halliday in that midfield two. If Hibs throw a curve ball and play 3 in the middle we’ve already seen the Haring/Halliday partnership can struggle a bit. If Halliday plays LB, LWB, LW or CM I wouldn’t grudge him it though. 

A_A wehatethehibs
4 minutes ago, DS98 said:

It’s absolutely random at the moment. I’ve just held the belief since last Saturday’s team got named, that we will set up completely different in this one. 

Ever since we went to a 4-2-3-1 we’ve not turned in a bad performance. Six games, 4 wins and 2 draws. It’s just felt a lot more controlled. Also Boyce and McKay in their best positions with space in front of them.

Robbie is a big fan of GMS. I think he’s a stick on to play. The only thing I’m unsure of is Devlin. He’s definitely fit enough to play a part. As harsh as it is, I’d rather have a 75/80% fit Devlin than Halliday in that midfield two. If Hibs throw a curve ball and play 3 in the middle we’ve already seen the Haring/Halliday partnership can struggle a bit. If Halliday plays LB, LWB, LW or CM I wouldn’t grudge him it though. 

Definitely agree we will see changes but I expect Halliday to be a near certainty to be starting the game if fit. I don’t see how you can justify dropping a guy who has just scored 2 goals and been a massive influence last week. If that’s not playing your way into the starting 11 I don’t know what is. So for me it’s a matter of where Halliday is playing not if 

If anything I think there’s more chance we’d see Devlin coming in for Haring. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
9 minutes ago, DS98 said:

I agree with most of this.

I don’t think we should get too emotionally attached to winning last week and leaving the team unchanged.

Whilst it doesn’t explain why we changed formation to 3-4-3, although we won we didn’t play as well as we have recently in 4-2-3-1.

We have also seen the latter formation start faster in games than might have been the norm - and that is the main thing needing improved from last week.

My only slight disagreement is that I think Neilson likes Halliday more than GMS and despite the odds against it I think Halliday has scored in both games he has started in the left of the attacking 3.

If fit I’d play him there as in addition to his form from last week he can be guaranteed to be less invisible than GMS and just an extra bit of bite into an ostensibly more attacking line up.

7 minutes ago, DS98 said:

I absolutely think they’ll go with a 3 unless Maloney thinks their 15 minute spell is worthy of playing the same formation with the only changes Porteous and someone for Wright probably that Jasper. 

I’ll be honest and say if Halliday is in the team then I hope it’s not in a wide defensive position, Cadden ripped him to bits way too many times at Easter Road. His best game have been further up the pitch. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug

A lot of utter bullshit and utter pony coming out the Hibs camp and Hibs affiliated pundits as we get closer to the game.

Having wobbled about over confidence earlier in the week I am now back on track and recognise the absolute shambles and delusion that that club is riddled with.

Maloney just genuinely doesn’t believe they are worse than us and has prepared for the game on that basis.

He’s also trotted out the line again about Porteous putting in the best centre back performance of the season in the league in their last home derby.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

9 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Definitely agree we will see changes but I expect Halliday to be a near certainty to be starting the game if fit. I don’t see how you can justify dropping a guy who has just scored 2 goals and been a massive influence last week. If that’s not playing your way into the starting 11 I don’t know what is. So for me it’s a matter of where Halliday is playing not if 

If anything I think there’s more chance we’d see Devlin coming in for Haring. 

I tend to agree about Halliday but as DS98 says Robbie does like GMS. I just can’t see Harring being dropped for Halliday. Between Halliday GMS and Devlin for 2 places if we go to the 4 at the back.

8 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

A lot of utter bullshit and utter pony coming out the Hibs camp and Hibs affiliated pundits as we get closer to the game.

Having wobbled about over confidence earlier in the week I am now back on track and recognise the absolute shambles and delusion that that club is riddled with.

Maloney just genuinely doesn’t believe they are worse than us and has prepared for the game on that basis.

He’s also trotted out the line again about Porteous putting in the best centre back performance of the season in the league in their last home derby.

We all know after Simms ragdolling Hanlon exactly what Porteous is planning for Saturday!

11 minutes ago, CloustonHMFC said:

He’s close to breaking point. Convinced by this point he’s nothing more than Cathro mkII

🤣🤣🤣🤣🇱🇻🤣🤣🤣🤣🇱🇻🤣🤣🤣🤣he's hurting. 🤣🇱🇻

A_A wehatethehibs
8 minutes ago, CloustonHMFC said:

He’s close to breaking point. Convinced by this point he’s nothing more than Cathro mkII

Cathro-esque / Fenlon-esque, this fella is a goner I don’t think he’ll last the season 

But saying that I’m not about to predict a hammering. Bite your hand off for a 1-0 or 2-1 not even bothered about the performance. Just get the W 

upgotheheads
34 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

I tend to agree about Halliday but as DS98 says Robbie does like GMS. I just can’t see Harring being dropped for Halliday. Between Halliday GMS and Devlin for 2 places if we go to the 4 at the back.

I came on here to ask this very question but you got in first😄.

Even if we play a back three the two defensive midfielders will be key, and I think that has to be Haring and Halliday, if only because Devlin hasn't played for six weeks and neither has GMS, but at least we know that they will have to start quicker and not give H1B5 something to defend. 

23 minutes ago, CloustonHMFC said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 oh dear.  Are we not to be confident. Are we not to celebrate getting 3rd. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 what an absolute rocket. He’s done.   Broken

gordiegords
27 minutes ago, CloustonHMFC said:

Wtf is he on about 😆

Unknown user
52 minutes ago, CloustonHMFC said:

:kirklol:

"We have certain values at this club, we won't be going into any game overly confident"

Being shite is a value

Edited by Smithee

Guest ToqueJambo
53 minutes ago, CloustonHMFC said:

If you're a Hibs fan that's terrifying stuff. Hilarious for everyone else though. Like he never celebrated a derby win while a Celtic player! 

1 hour ago, CloustonHMFC said:

He is absolutely shitting it for Sat and that has all the hallmarks of a Fenlon.

The only things stopping us winning this is complacency or the ref.

Unknown user
2 hours ago, Rudy T said:

I don't think Halliday is more defensive than GMS personally.

Also, as GMS grew up hibs, and has also scored more against them than anyone else, I think he should start.

Unknown user
5 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

He is absolutely shitting it for Sat and that has all the hallmarks of a Fenlon.

The only things stopping us winning this is complacency or the ref.

Imagine promising you'll never be overly confident going into a game, loser *******s! 🤣

Guest ToqueJambo
8 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Imagine promising you'll never be overly confident going into a game, loser *******s! 🤣

Maloney is terrible. That was as poor an attempt at mind games or anti-mind games as you'll see. Even he doesn't;t know what he's talking about there. If they somehow win it won't be down to him. We'll have a very bad day at the office or very bad luck, or the ref will hand them the game.

scott herbertson
2 hours ago, DS98 said:

a 75% fit Devlin might be a disciplinary risk. I’d stick with Halliday

Unknown user
3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Maloney is terrible. That was as poor an attempt at mind games or anti-mind games as you'll see. Even he doesn't;t know what he's talking about there. If they somehow win it won't be down to him. We'll have a very bad day at the office or very bad luck, or the ref will hand them the game.

I think it'll be closer than it should be but we have every right to be confident.

I really want Devlin in there, he'll unsettle and harry, and he deserves it for his graft this season

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I think it'll be closer than it should be but we have every right to be confident.

I really want Devlin in there, he'll unsettle and harry, and he deserves it for his graft this season

If Devlin is fit enough for at least 45-60 mins on full power it's a big call for Neilson whether to start him or bring him on later. I'm liking the shouts for going back to 4-2-3-1 with Devlin and Haring as the sitting 2. If not, maybe Sibbick starts with Haring and Devlin comes on later like Beni did in his first game back. Halliday and GMS vying for the left forward slot behind Simms.

Edited by ToqueJambo

A_A wehatethehibs

Lads someone with a .net account needs to post that Maloney bottle crashing tweet video over there 

Guest ToqueJambo
11 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Not sure Halliday is suited for playing one of the sitting mids in a 4-2-3-1 though. Maybe Sibbick, with Halliday considered for left mid/forward, although GMS would be a good shout for left forward on the big pitch if he's fit?

Edited by ToqueJambo

Neverforgetfiveone
3 hours ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Yip. 100% proffesional pse. Lets be honest, the first 20 mins last weekend were quite concerning. 

Wouldnt have Gino on unless 1 up and looking to kill it. Halliday deserves a runout but will struggle to last 90 mins at Hampden.

They will be desperate to crock BM in a 50/50 asap.

PH could be big player in this one .

Ignore the papers, new game, new ref, new venue. Lets go for it and dont drop the guard.

Big payday here means total focus reqd.

Just start with the same 11 as was at Tynecastle on Saturday past! Could t live with us second half… all the problems, selection, formation, sit in or press are all Hobbit problems

AlphonseCapone
3 hours ago, Rocky jamboa said:

This is the line up I would go with. Was thinking maybe Woodburn instead of Halliday but Halliday probably deserving of a spot after last Saturday. 

Woodburn? You can't be serious. He should be more at risk of not making the bench than starting. Done absolutely nothing since being here, in fact, is disgustingly bad and you'd reward that with starting a semi-final?

Guest ToqueJambo
4 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Woodburn? You can't be serious. He should be more at risk of not making the bench than starting. Done absolutely nothing since being here, in fact, is disgustingly bad and you'd reward that with starting a semi-final?

Bit unnecessary. He's had some good moments, obviously has talent and has made a contribution as part of a very good squad. Suspect he's not found his best position in this team and others are doing better ahead of him. There are some players who are deserving of your description form the last few years but he's nowhere near as bad as some have been.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Rick Sanchez

That Maloney video brings Vietnam like flashbacks of Cathro. If he wins he'll get next season. Therefore I can't see them winning.

We never celebrated that bad did we? He must be on about the falling apart chant. He's hurting and not positively for his team IMO.

He could barely inspire me to get my arse off the changing room bench.

Guest ToqueJambo
4 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

We never celebrated that bad did we? He must be on about the falling apart chant. He's hurting and not positively for his team IMO.

Check the man himself celebrating, no doubt in a derby. Is that the shirt coming off? How unprofessional. No standards/ 

shaun-maloney-161648529.jpg

25 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Maybe. But I think a bit of perspective is needed regarding Halliday. He (along with 2 or 3 others) was mince in that first 45mins. Really poor.

I’ve been his biggest critic on here but he’s won me over the past few weeks. But this is Hibs at Hampden. Not a time for sentiment. The best players play. A good example of this is if we look back to the Euros. Clarke went with sentiment and look what happened. Marshall got lobbed from 50 yards when the far better ‘Keeper sat on his arse. 

He's utterly ineffective. Comes across as unconvincing and quite thick, some of his comments are bordering on the bizarre - has he forgotten how they "celebrated" scraping a draw at Fester?

3 hours ago, Rocky jamboa said:

Souttar??? 🙄

4 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

He's utterly ineffective. Comes across as unconvincing and quite thick, some of his comments are bordering on the bizarre - has he forgotten how they "celebrated" scraping a draw at Fester?

Exactly in the few occasions they actually manage a Derby win at ER it’s the full lap of honour with the Proclaimers blazing away!

20 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Harsh but TBH sums him up.