***** Official Heart of Midlothian versus Hibernian Scottish Cup Semi Final Thread *****

The Bannon Flick

The Bannon Flick

Now that the league game is done and dusted and Hibs have been duly spanked, how do we line up against them at Hampden?

If Devlin is back fit does he start ?

Would feel unfair to drop anyone from today but does that mean Hibs effectively have a week to prepare their tactics against a pretty much guaranteed Hearts starting 11?

Or does that even matter cos we’ll gub them anyway regardless of what wee Shauney boy thinks up?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Harry Potter

• Factuer Moi

• Morgan

I think it is horses for courses. We also have to see how injuries affect us with both Halliday and Natty Akka going off. Hopefully, these subs were precautionary. Hampden has a big pitch as we know, and someone with Devlin's energy and ability to cover the ground could be invaluable. We have the psychological advantage but this will be a different game. I am sure our coaches are aware of the above. 

Rick Sanchez

I felt it was important not to play the same game plan twice. I think it'll be different next week but not too different.

Just enough to keep the wee man thinking.

Souttar, Smith and Devlin?

CG 

MS   JS   CH

NA   PH   CD   SK

BM 

ES   LB.  

Or the team from yesterday except GMS for Cochrane.

If we settle quicker than yesterday it could be fun but, for me it’s all about attitude. Forget yesterday. Next week is a different game and we’ve gotta be ready and up for it. Underestimate them at our peril. 
IMO if we score first, especially early they could disappear 

A_A wehatethehibs

Honestly I’m not sure who I’d pick. Maybe GMS and Devlin in. But on the other hand, maybe they’re the ideal 2nd wind to have off the bench. In Robbie I trust 100% he will get it right 

Captain Sausage
45 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

back to 4-2-3-1

Gordon

Atkinson

Halkett

Kingsley

Halliday/Cochrane

Haring

Devlin

McKay

Boyce

GMS

Simms

I think this will be the team. Possibly Gino instead of GMS. Think Halliday will get the nod over Cochrane. 

As others have said it depends on injuries and how some players are feeling.

Hopefully Atkinson is ok as he is by far the best option on the right. 

If Halliday is ok would prefer him in the middle and possibly replaced by Devlin after 60-70 mins.

Cochrane should start as he was great yesterday but GMS is a good sub after maybe 70 mins.

I would start with the same team as yesterday as why change something that isn't broke? The pitch will suits us better

and hopefully their first goal yesterday is a wake up call for us that we need to be on it 100% from the start. 

Hibs looked absolutely demoralised yesterday and a massive Hearts crowd their from there with plenty of empty seats in the Hibs will dent them further. I fully expect a more comprehensive victory than yesterday unless someone stupid happens like a sending off as we have so much motivation to make the final given what's at stake.

Crap KO time....

To be fair I felt like Gino really set out to impress on his cameo yesterday, he chased and harried everything and the open spaces of the Hampden pitch might suit him better,Devlin a definite starter imho ...the question is who do you drop? 

After yesterday I am even more confident than ever. Hampden Humiliation awaits Hibernian yet again. 4 nil to the Famous Heart of Midlothian 🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻 HHGH 🇱🇻

29 minutes ago, Bozi said:

To be fair I felt like Gino really set out to impress on his cameo yesterday, he chased and harried everything and the open spaces of the Hampden pitch might suit him better,Devlin a definite starter imho ...the question is who do you drop? 

I didn’t even notice he had come on. And I’m being serious. 

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

back to 4-2-3-1

Gordon

Atkinson

Halkett

Kingsley

Halliday/Cochrane

Haring

Devlin

McKay

Boyce

GMS

Simms

Yes.

Unfortunate for Halliday but if Devlin is fit then he takes his place. Cochrane will keep his place at LB.

The Bannon Flick

back to 4-2-3-1

Gordon

Atkinson

Halkett

Kingsley

Halliday/Cochrane

Haring

Devlin

McKay

Boyce

GMS

Simms

Like the sound of that line up tbh - my only concern would be moving Halliday back to LB.

He struggled there at Easter Road and it feels harsh both on how he did yesterday going forward and also to drop Cochrane after playing well.

Good to have options though - sure RN will get it right on the day. 

We need to be carefull and not be over confident. Forget yesterday, take nothing for granted and we'll be off to Hampden in May 

Buzzing. Absolutely buzzing for this one.  A packed our Hearts end in full voice looking at a patchy hibs end who are full of dread.

of course anything can happen in a cup game. But we will be up for it and let’s beat that filth.  Part 1 was putting them bottom 6. Part 2 is kicking them into touch when they are down , getting to a final at their expense and getting £3m+ in guaranteed euro groups next season. FTH

Hearts by 2 goals+

Edited by 1971fozzy

back to 4-2-3-1

Gordon

Atkinson

Halkett

Kingsley

Cochrane 

Haring

Devlin

Halliday 

McKay

Boyce

Simms 

I definitely think that the massive difference in support we will have will be like an extra man. Start the game well and we should have more than enough to see them off again. Different game from yesterday and I think we may need a bit more width on the big surface. Cmon the Jambos. 

I like that there are negatives from yesterday. Our boys will want to do better, that seems the attitude we have now.

Weirdly had we won 3-0 with complete 90 min control, maybe it wouldn't be so good for next week.

Mind you a lot was made of hibs first 30 mins yest (bit like last derby). Other than a break from our corner (so we had a corner in first 3 mins) plus dbl deflection they never bothered us while we had a clear one on one and hit the bar.

Their best just about matches our worst.

Any win will do. 

But, that said, we should be going at them from the get go. An early goal for us and I can't see how Hibs will recover. They were absolutely shite yesterday. 

I'll go with 9-0

I love Devlin but I do worry that he  will get carried away with the occasion and if he gets his customary yellow early on, it could be a long match 

7 minutes ago, lou said:

I love Devlin but I do worry that he  will get carried away with the occasion and if he gets his customary yellow early on, it could be a long match 

Was just saying the same thing my son this morning. Can’t help but think the occasion would get the better of him. Think he be better coming off the  bench at some point 

Devlin won’t have 90 minutes in him (or extra 30 if it goes ET) so I’d imagine he will be on the bench. 
would be harsh to drop anybody but it will be a different game on Saturday and the vermin will likely change formation. 

Jambos_1874

Wouldn't surprise me if he started GMS and Gino on both wings and we really went at Hibs from the start with fast, direct football. I think it'll be a very different game next week, although hopefully the same result!!

1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

I didn’t even notice he had come on. And I’m being serious. 

Neither did I and that’s because he was on the pitch for 4 minutes :lol:

4 2 3 1 for the next game and we cannot start the match like we did yesterday !! 

13 minutes ago, King prawn said:

Neither did I and that’s because he was on the pitch for 4 minutes :lol:

4 2 3 1 for the next game and we cannot start the match like we did yesterday !! 

The result yesterday does sort of plaster over how crap we were to start with.

3 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

If we settle quicker than yesterday it could be fun but, for me it’s all about attitude. Forget yesterday. Next week is a different game and we’ve gotta be ready and up for it. Underestimate them at our peril. 
IMO if we score first, especially early they could disappear 

With the 0-0 draws with Hibs this season (despite, by every right, our deserved victories given the performances) I think the players needed a wee reminder that we could still in fact batter them silly.

This 3-1 result is going to have a huge impact on next week for sure.

2 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

I was feeling confident about this game until I saw that cookieboy didn't start the thread. :muggy:

He did. The mods merged it with an earlier thread asking which line up we should go for next Saturday. 

bobby bombscare

Not really sure on what an ideal lineup should be. 

I do however have a feeling that the bigger Hampden pitch is perfect for Gino’s pace to cause the defence all kinds of trouble! 

As a stand alone yesterday was superb but it's impact on next Saturday will be slight. A well timed boost, yes, and perhaps planted a few seeds into the minds of both teams but that's about it, imo.

There's a world of difference between a league match at Tynecastle and a Scottish Cup semi-final at Hampden.

I'm obviously glad to be in our shoes, mind, but come next Saturday I'll be the same bag of nerves I always am on derby day.

Start the game better than we did yesterday, please, and get it won Hearts. 

That's all.

3 hours ago, GinRummy said:

back to 4-2-3-1

Gordon

Atkinson

Halkett

Kingsley

Halliday/Cochrane

Haring

Devlin

McKay

Boyce

GMS

Simms

It has to be this for me we need to use the bigger pitch and I would play with pace out wide.

Gino was brilliant against Celtic at hampden changed the game. 

5 minutes ago, bobby bombscare said:

Not really sure on what an ideal lineup should be. 

I do however have a feeling that the bigger Hampden pitch is perfect for Gino’s pace to cause the defence all kinds of trouble! 

100%

2 hours ago, DS98 said:

Yes.

Unfortunate for Halliday but if Devlin is fit then he takes his place. Cochrane will keep his place at LB.

And he should as he is a better player all round 

6 hours ago, hisnameis said:

I think it is horses for courses. We also have to see how injuries affect us with both Halliday and Natty Akka going off. Hopefully, these subs were precautionary. Hampden has a big pitch as we know, and someone with Devlin's energy and ability to cover the ground could be invaluable. We have the psychological advantage but this will be a different game. I am sure our coaches are aware of the above. 

Hampdens big pitch is an optical illusion. It’s only 5 yards longer and 4 yards wider than Tynecastle. It makes zero difference.

No way I'd risk smith just back. Devlin if forced due to injuries but think team fom yesterday deserve their chance. 

Actually thought aitkinson had his best game for us yesterday. 

1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

I like that there are negatives from yesterday. Our boys will want to do better, that seems the attitude we have now.

Weirdly had we won 3-0 with complete 90 min control, maybe it wouldn't be so good for next week.

Mind you a lot was made of hibs first 30 mins yest (bit like last derby). Other than a break from our corner (so we had a corner in first 3 mins) plus dbl deflection they never bothered us while we had a clear one on one and hit the bar.

Their best just about matches our worst.

I don’t take anything for granted and know football can be unpredictable, but I think substance and quality comes into it.  Imo, what we saw yesterday once Hearts got to grips with the game was an example of the difference in quality and organisation between the two, throw in mentality in the way we got over a shaky opening spell and completely flipped the game to the point Hibs were clearly rattled, too. 

Can Hibs be better than they were yesterday? I’m not so sure? They kept trying hard to close us down but we dealt with it, we matched any endeavour they tried to conjure up and more. 

Hopefully a lesson learned for us regards that first 10 mins but we know there’s a reaction in us.  

Edited by Debut 4

Stick with the same line up. Hibs need to change something, not us. 

If Halliday isn't fit then probably Devlin. McEneff might be an idea though if neither is fit enough. 

13 minutes ago, martoon said:

As a stand alone yesterday was superb but it's impact on next Saturday will be slight. A well timed boost, yes, and perhaps planted a few seeds into the minds of both teams but that's about it, imo.

There's a world of difference between a league match at Tynecastle and a Scottish Cup semi-final at Hampden.

I'm obviously glad to be in our shoes, mind, but come next Saturday I'll be the same bag of nerves I always am on derby day.

Start the game better than we did yesterday, please, and get it won Hearts. 

That's all.

The way the game panned out yesterday was perfect for us. First half a reminder that we can’t start slow and allow them to settle and pick passes. Second half a reminder of how poor they are when you lift the tempo and take the game to them.

The line up and system will be interesting next week. They will need to change something and probably they’ll fill the midfield and sit a bit deeper trying to kill the game and hit on the break. If that’s what they do, we’ll go back to 4-2-3-1 with a more positive attacking midfield.

For me, you can’t leave Halliday out after yesterday if he is fit. He plays left back or holding mid if Devlin doesn’t make it. Haring being the other deep midfielder. Cochrane starts if Halliday doesn’t or Devlin doesn’t Sibbick at right back if Atkinson doesn’t make it

Up front picks itself apart from one from GMS or Ginelly. GMS just shades it for me.

south morocco
1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

The way the game panned out yesterday was perfect for us. First half a reminder that we can’t start slow and allow them to settle and pick passes. Second half a reminder of how poor they are when you lift the tempo and take the game to them.

The line up and system will be interesting next week. They will need to change something and probably they’ll fill the midfield and sit a bit deeper trying to kill the game and hit on the break. If that’s what they do, we’ll go back to 4-2-3-1 with a more positive attacking midfield.

For me, you can’t leave Halliday out after yesterday if he is fit. He plays left back or holding mid if Devlin doesn’t make it. Haring being the other deep midfielder. Cochrane starts if Halliday doesn’t or Devlin doesn’t Sibbick at right back if Atkinson doesn’t make it

Up front picks itself apart from one from GMS or Ginelly. GMS just shades it for me.

Ginelly from the bench later in the game could be useful with his pace.