P&O Ferries sack 800 staff via Zoom

Lone Striker

Weakened Offender
10 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

Given that she showed up presumably trying to help I can't quite understand how it's in the workers best interests to dis her rather than engage with her. Guess that's the world today though - tribe trumps the issue.

Usual lack of  empathy from you. 

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• Cade

• Lone Striker

• WorldChampions1902

10 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

Given that she showed up presumably trying to help I can't quite understand how it's in the workers best interests to dis her rather than engage with her. Guess that's the world today though - tribe trumps the issue.

Is there nothing that can make you wake up and realise how corrupt and hypocritical your beloved tories are?? 

Japan Jambo
42 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Usual lack of  empathy from you. 

23 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Is there nothing that can make you wake up and realise how corrupt and hypocritical your beloved tories are?? 

need to read up folks - I've condemned this action in multiple posts and am happy to do so again.

Folks ire should be directed at the company, I'd be stunned if the local MP (of any political stripe) wasn't doing their utmost to help and in that regard why wouldn't you engage and see what she can do to help? But hey barry on and bash the Tories.🤷‍♂️

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

need to read up folks - I've condemned this action in multiple posts and am happy to do so again.

Folks ire should be directed at the company, I'd be stunned if the local MP (of any political stripe) wasn't doing their utmost to help and in that regard why wouldn't you engage and see what she can do to help? But hey barry on and bash the Tories.🤷‍♂️

Damn straight bash the tories, she's an enormous hypocrite trying to make political gain from the situation, she's an arsehole.

6 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

What was the bill that could have helped PJ ?.

Workers rights fire & rehire recently

3 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Being in the EU would not have kept their jobs safe. In fact, as I've mentioned previsouly on this thread, the ECJ voted in favour of the business, in a similar scenraio.

3 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

Pathetic response. My post was nothing to do with the actual firing but with the tory mp turning up for a pr opportunity when she actively voted against a bill that would protect workers rights. But you just go on blindly cheerleading for them

Japan Jambo
4 hours ago, XB52 said:

21 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Pathetic response. My post was nothing to do with the actual firing but with the tory mp turning up for a pr opportunity when she actively voted against a bill that would protect workers rights. But you just go on blindly cheerleading for them

If you're just going to focus on directing abuse my way rather than reading what I write I suggest you just stick me on ignore... you clearly don't want to understand any perspective that is different from your own 👍

I P Knightley
6 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Apart from the fact it is not fire and rehire but fire and replace.  Can they even do this legally under employment law? Also the Sheik, Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, that heads up the parent company (DP World) was the same one who's reputation was trashed in a London court when he had his daughters kidnapped. Is there some plain old bitter revenge motive in this action as well? 

I thought that the sacked (redundancied) staff were offered the chance to reapply for their own jobs. It would have been on much less favourable terms, though but, technically a fire and rehire?

14 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

that is a completely abhorent thing to say especially since it is not that long ago david amess was murdered at his constituency surgery

Yeah.

But if you look closely people die from being in poverty.

Who takes accountability for that?

Seymour M Hersh
51 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

The 2020s will see living conditions plummet in this country. The cost of living will soar and many won't be able to afford to live. This country is in a proper shit show and its getting worse. And the friends of the Conservative Party are profiting from it. You can dribble on all you want about Tory-bashing. I would have the vermin shot. In front of their families. 

Only the UK? Are all other countries immune from this? 

Weakened Offender
11 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Only the UK? Are all other countries immune from this? 

Probably not. 

Do you disagree that the friends of the Conservative Party are going to profit big time from what is in the post for the working class of this country? 

Weakened Offender
14 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Global blobal, smitten britten, sensation nation, or whatevs slogan yer having yerself.

Do you ever consider just posting stuff and not massaging your ridiculously massive ego? 

2 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Do you ever consider just posting stuff and not massaging your ridiculously massive ego? 

Sorry England, no offence intended.  ;)

1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Has Liz Truss been to Dover for a photo shoot yet?

Didn't the local MP have a go and wasn't she shouted out of the place?

Seymour M Hersh
35 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Probably not. 

Do you disagree that the friends of the Conservative Party are going to profit big time from what is in the post for the working class of this country? 

No idea. 

3 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Didn't the local MP have a go and wasn't she shouted out of the place?

Here we are (sorry if posted already).  She voted to allow companies like P&O to dry-hump their employees and then showed up at the protest line to support the lads, who promptly told her to piss off.

Weakened Offender
8 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Here we are (sorry if posted already).  She voted to allow companies like P&O to dry-hump their employees and then showed up at the protest line to support the lads, who promptly told her to piss off.

I think I may have misinterpreted a previous post of yours. 😁

I think I may have misinterpreted a previous post of yours. 😁

If I didn't post gibberish, it would be less open to misinterpretation.  :laugh:

Weakened Offender
2 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

If I didn't post gibberish, it would be less open to misinterpretation.  :laugh:

Apologies anyhoo 😁

7 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Apologies anyhoo 😁

I'll try to post sense in future.  I'll also fail, but, y'know... :laugh:

Weakened Offender
4 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

I'll try to post sense in future.  I'll also fail, but, y'know... :laugh:

You're not alone. ❤️

Jeffros Furios

You're not alone. ❤️

Try it Vinnie old chap .

John Findlay
2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Yeah.

But if you look closely people die from being in poverty.

Who takes accountability for that?

I thought all people die no matter what.

maroonlegions
16 hours ago, John Findlay said:

I thought all people die no matter what.

He is talking about AVOIDABLE deaths.. Or premature deaths caused by poverty.

Surely you knew what he meant when the world "poverty" was used as the main dominator.

John Findlay
40 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

He is talking about AVOIDABLE deaths.. Or premature deaths caused by poverty.

Surely you knew what he meant when the world "poverty" was used as the main dominator.

I have often wondered how many deaths have been avoided by people said to be in poverty, I've often wondered how many deaths have also been avoided, by people said not to be in poverty? I often wonder how many deaths could have been avoided fullstop.

Watt-Zeefuik
On 20/03/2022 at 09:00, Japan Jambo said:

When a legislature actively prevents worker protections from being enacted, then those due to her action workers get exploited and dumped, then no, she doesn't get to show up and pretend to be concerned.

Bit of advice mate, take the L here and move on.

joondalupjambo

Debating the PO issue in the House now.  A lot of noise but I fear action will be limited if any.  Turns out the main Dubai company are arms deep in the Tory Freeport initiative Doon the Thames.  Well well who would have thunk it.

In fairness a couple of Conservative MP's saying all Dubai company agreements in place should be ripped up.  Also one Conservative calling for PO Ferry work to be handed over to other more reputable ferry companies and PO be stopped fron docking in any UK port.  Pretty sure they all will be ignored.

The people discarded out of their jobs is bad enough but it also seems that their agency staff replacements stand to be working for about £2 per hour.  UK minimum wage laws do not apply.

If this country ends up facilitating this kind of slave labour practice then the game's up for any sense of being a civilised country.

Global Gangmasters.

Unknown user
48 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The people discarded out of their jobs is bad enough but it also seems that their agency staff replacements stand to be working for about £2 per hour.  UK minimum wage laws do not apply.

If this country ends up facilitating this kind of slave labour practice then the game's up for any sense of being a civilised country.

Global Gangmasters.

This already happens, I've been on channel crossings with Philippino crews

Lone Striker
5 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

Debating the PO issue in the House now.  A lot of noise but I fear action will be limited if any.  Turns out the main Dubai company are arms deep in the Tory Freeport initiative Doon the Thames.  Well well who would have thunk it.

In fairness a couple of Conservative MP's saying all Dubai company agreements in place should be ripped up.  Also one Conservative calling for PO Ferry work to be handed over to other more reputable ferry companies and PO be stopped fron docking in any UK port.  Pretty sure they all will be ignored.

Aye. These freeport things sound like a clever government scam to make ordinary folk think they'll be getting a bargain if they shop there, when the main beneficiaries are companies selected to operate and supply it.  Hedge Fund heaven.   

Unknown user
33 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Aye. These freeport things sound like a clever government scam to make ordinary folk think they'll be getting a bargain if they shop there, when the main beneficiaries are companies selected to operate and supply it.  Hedge Fund heaven.   

I don't think it's got much to do with shopping, it's a place where raw materials can get imported, made into stuff, then exported without tax or paperwork - I think. I'm not clear on the benefits for anyone other than the companies but the government seem pleased with themselves about it.

On 20/03/2022 at 01:32, Japan Jambo said:

She was one of the people who caused the problem in the first place.  The workers knew exactly how to treat her when she showed up and tried to pretend she was part of the solution rather than part of the problem.

**** her.

On 18/03/2022 at 11:54, Mikey1874 said:

It is unclear.

One result of Brexit is Ireland bypassing the British route and a fall in trade but still not clear.

Here's what some of the Irish are saying

What "some of the Irish"?  The guy who posted the 2005 story is an English Brexit fanboy who has a bit of a chip on his shoulder about Scotland and a couple of hundred Twitter followers. 

In the 2005 case, the company was able to take advantage of the fact that Latvia and Cyprus had recently joined the EU to hire people at low rates of pay.  But what they tried and failed to do was to hire them at Latvian rates of pay, to bypass Irish wage and industrial relations legislation, and to get rid of the Irish trade unions.  They also had to increase the pay of workers on other routes, particularly between Ireland and France.

The reason they failed is because Ireland hadn't and still hasn't gone down the British Tory route of using legislation as an anti-worker device.  Brexit in and of itself isn't the cause of the P&O debacle.  It's helping, but it's only one component of a broader radical Tory anti-worker strategy.

On 20/03/2022 at 17:19, Japan Jambo said:

If you're just going to focus on directing abuse my way rather than reading what I write I suggest you just stick me on ignore... you clearly don't want to understand any perspective that is different from your own 👍

Do you actually tell people you vote Tory? 

Only thing worse than Scots voting Tory, is poor people who vote Tory, cause they can only be Alf Garnett types and like Jim Davidson, he's a ***** .

9 hours ago, Victorian said:

Global Gangmasters.

Brexit was the key to this. Everything will go. Minimum wage, H&SE, and everything else will gone soon enough with these filthy vermin as the neverending UK government. Yet , Brits born in Scotland allow their land of birth to be wiped of the Earth.

The RMT instructed/advised their members to vote in favour of Brexit. You couldnt make it up! Backed the tolies they shat on them when there was a vote in parliament that could have legally avoided this. 
Vote for Brexit/back the tolies? Hell mend ye!

On 20/03/2022 at 14:43, jambo89 said:

Being in the EU would not have kept their jobs safe. In fact, as I've mentioned previsouly on this thread, the ECJ voted in favour of the business, in a similar scenraio.

I believe you are correct as around 30 odd employees who were Irish have also been made redundant, so it makes no difference.  As I have said before P&O actions is just callous and downright criminal IMO.

WorldChampions1902
15 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

So…….David Cameron scrapped all our previous Freeport’s a decade ago - when the U.K. was part of the EU. Now, this Junta keeps trotting out the line that we are only able to have Freeport’s due to Brexit. Which clearly is yet another Brexit lie.

So what’s the difference between the 2012 much-discredited Freeport’s and the much-heralded 2022 Freeport’s?? When you answer that question, you get to the truth. Spoiler alert - the worker gets screwed, the fabulously wealthy get another vehicle to protect that wealth from the Exchequer and organised crime has another avenue to exploit at the expense of us all.

Par for the course.

Edited by WorldChampions1902

7 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Tories doing Tory.....

The tories will come for us all sooner or later...

Utter shitehawks!

Lone Striker
17 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Brexit was the key to this. Everything will go. Minimum wage, H&SE, and everything else will gone soon enough with these filthy vermin as the neverending UK government. Yet , Brits born in Scotland allow their land of birth to be wiped of the Earth.

:cornette:       Just wondering which parts of Scotland have been wiped off the the planet.  As at 5pm today, Stirling was still there.   

Jambo_jim2001
22 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

:cornette:       Just wondering which parts of Scotland have been wiped off the the planet.  As at 5pm today, Stirling was still there.   

Better check the Wallace ornament 😀