• Lone Striker

• WorldChampions1902

il Duce McTarkin
14 minutes ago, Smithee said:

"I'm not an independent supporter"

"You've said you support the concept"

"Which in no way contradicts my post"

Correct, in no way contradictory.

I could try and dig out an analogy, but like I said, your pedantry on points you refuse to try and understand Is boring af.

Edited by Dirk McTarkin

Unknown user
30 minutes ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

Correct, in no way contradictory.

I could try and dig out an analogy, but like I said, your pedantry on points you refuse to try and understand Is boring af.

Supports the concept of independence, isn't an independence supporter. Who's playing semantics here?

It's by the by though, really, my issue is with the soft yes bullshit, while only ever pulling up independence supporters.

The Hogfather
11 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Supports the concept of independence, isn't an independence supporter. Who's playing semantics here?

It's by the by though, really, my issue is with the soft yes bullshit, while only ever pulling up independence supporters.

What does any of this have to do with P&O Ferries?

Unknown user
11 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Might be to do with the ease of shredding apart the indy arguments and the way they are presented, bud.

Everyone knows the Tories are self-interested, nasty bams. The fervent independentistas tie themselves in knots defending their positions and come across, sorry to say, as a bunch of sad sacks still crying into their tartan jammies nine years on from 2014 and wailing about how unfair it was that people got to vote and that they didn't all vote for the magic unicorns farting out deep-fried Mars bars.

Banana Republic, tartan jammies, sad sacks.

Might be to do with your being full of it too.

The Hogfather
4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Ask Nucky, he brought it up

I read his post, didn’t mention independence once. Plenty of other threads to have this same boring argument on. Perhaps this one doesn’t need to be dragged off topic. 

Unknown user
3 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

I read his post, didn’t mention independence once. Plenty of other threads to have this same boring argument on. Perhaps this one doesn’t need to be dragged off topic. 

You'll have seen how the conversation developed then, and how it evolved down that path.

Fair enough though, and my point's been made. This shouldn't be about the SNP or independence.

WorldChampions1902

When P&O illegally sacked 800 workers, our Tory Junta promised “to take action”. Well they finally have. Hopefully another nail in the nail-ridden Tory coffin.

9BA7B8F4-5DE5-4421-8216-B7972D967E88.jpeg

Doctor FinnBarr
17 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

When P&O illegally sacked 800 workers, our Tory Junta promised “to take action”. Well they finally have. Hopefully another nail in the nail-ridden Tory coffin.

9BA7B8F4-5DE5-4421-8216-B7972D967E88.jpeg

No real surprise there then.

• 7 months later...

P&O cruises (and Cunard) are planning to fire and re-hire 900 staff on worse pay and worse conditions.

See what happens when you let people get away with blatantly breaking the law?

And yes, I know that fire and rehire is legal, but that's a feckin nonsense anyhow.

WorldChampions1902

Barry Gardiner attempted to do something about this but was talked out of time on the Private Members Bill that was used. So when Labour get in, I want to see this sorted once and for all.

Not holding my breath.

14 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Barry Gardiner attempted to do something about this but was talked out of time on the Private Members Bill that was used. So when Labour get in, I want to see this sorted once and for all.

Not holding my breath.

👍     We're increasingly depending on Labour to  win the GE with an outright majority and then to quickly move to righting a whole wedge of  Tory wrongs including scrutiny of  public contracts awarded to big companies that possibly bypassed proper procedure or where they made a huge amount of money despite the project being cancelled or delayed or suspended.  There's so many areas where sleaze is suspected - HS2, asylum seeker accommodation, Freeports etc.   Not to mention things like Water Companies continuing to break the law, or the PPE and Horizon scandals

I worry that the sheer volume of scandalous activities that many of us want to see stopped or reformed is just too big for Labour to keep up the momentum of change - leading to lots of Labour voters  turning on them for being "just like the Tories".

WorldChampions1902
11 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

👍     We're increasingly depending on Labour to  win the GE with an outright majority and then to quickly move to righting a whole wedge of  Tory wrongs including scrutiny of  public contracts awarded to big companies that possibly bypassed proper procedure or where they made a huge amount of money despite the project being cancelled or delayed or suspended.  There's so many areas where sleaze is suspected - HS2, asylum seeker accommodation, Freeports etc.   Not to mention things like Water Companies continuing to break the law, or the PPE and Horizon scandals

I worry that the sheer volume of scandalous activities that many of us want to see stopped or reformed is just too big for Labour to keep up the momentum of change - leading to lots of Labour voters  turning on them for being "just like the Tories".

I totally agree with you. Labour have a mammoth task on their hands. The implication from what you have rightly said is that Labour are going to have to prioritise things and  I suspect this topic will be lower down that list.

If, after 2-3 years, the electorate can see great inroads being made into this Tory ‘legacy’ of utter s**t, they’ll manage to avoid being tarred with being as bad as them. Let’s be honest here, they cannot possibly be worse. (And to be clear, I have a number of misgivings about ‘Keith’ and some of his cohorts, but it’s time for change).

😉

The economy is full of increasingly emboldened predators and exploitative parasites.  It can only be arrested by laws and regulation.  This government couldn't legislate an old dears' coffee morning.

Edited by Victorian

29 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

I also think Labour's leadership are shiters who are scared they'll chase voters away by actually being a Labour party.

Just now, ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS said:

I also think Labour's leadership are shiters who are scared they'll chase voters away by actually being a Labour party.

Of course they are.  They want in and have had it handed to them.  A good salesman stops pitching when he makes the sale.  The true intentions of Labour will become apparent in government.

Malinga the Swinga
14 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The economy is full of increasingly emboldened predators and exploitative parasites.  It can only be arrested by laws and regulation.  This government couldn't legislate an old dears' coffee morning.

I think your slightly wrong in last sentence. This government could legislate but chooses not to.

Just now, Malinga the Swinga said:

I think your slightly wrong in last sentence. This government could legislate but chooses not to.

Also true.  Their schtick demands a phobia of regulation.  They'll only legislate what tends to support their own interests.

Malinga the Swinga
16 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

I totally agree with you. Labour have a mammoth task on their hands. The implication from what you have rightly said is that Labour are going to have to prioritise things and  I suspect this topic will be lower down that list.

If, after 2-3 years, the electorate can see great inroads being made into this Tory ‘legacy’ of utter s**t, they’ll manage to avoid being tarred with being as bad as them. Let’s be honest here, they cannot possibly be worse. (And to be clear, I have a number of misgivings about ‘Keith’ and some of his cohorts, but it’s time for change).

😉

To be honest,to avoid being tarred with same brush, all they have to be is open, honest and transparent with why they are making the decisions they come to.

It's not a high bar, in fact the bar is several feet below the ground and it shouldn't be beyond them to manage but as they're career politicians, nobody can guarantee it.

Malinga the Swinga
1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Also true.  Their schtick demands a phobia of regulation.  They'll only legislate what tends to support their own interests.

Sadly, it's the way politics has gone over last 35 years. Even the politicians I didn't like previously actually stood for something. This lot would knife their own kids on the back to get/hold on to power.

1 minute ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Sadly, it's the way politics has gone over last 35 years. Even the politicians I didn't like previously actually stood for something. This lot would knife their own kids on the back to get/hold on to power.

Not quite.  The very worst of conduct tends to eminate from those who have held power for a prolonged period and have a pathologic obsession to retain it.

WorldChampions1902
10 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

To be honest,to avoid being tarred with same brush, all they have to be is open, honest and transparent with why they are making the decisions they come to.

It's not a high bar, in fact the bar is several feet below the ground and it shouldn't be beyond them to manage but as they're career politicians, nobody can guarantee it.

That bit in bold is unfortunately the big unknown. We can only hope for the best.

Malinga the Swinga
3 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

That bit in bold is unfortunately the big unknown. We can only hope for the best.

Makes you feel confident in future when you see what we have in charge, in Westminster and Scotland.

Wouldn't let them run a bath, never mind a country.

Tories: Pigs at the trough. 
Labour: Just a change of pigs at the same trough. 
If you think anything will really change, can you loan me £5K? I will pay you right back eh!

Lord Montpelier
1 hour ago, Pans Jambo said:

Tories: Pigs at the trough. 
Labour: Just a change of pigs at the same trough. 
If you think anything will really change, can you loan me £5K? I will pay you right back eh!

You should ask the murrells for your 5k loan see what terms they are offering now. 

il Duce McTarkin
11 hours ago, Victorian said:

Of course they are.  They want in and have had it handed to them.  A good salesman stops pitching when he makes the sale.  The true intentions of Labour will become apparent in government.

I ****ing hope so. 🤞

4 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

You should ask the murrells for your 5k loan see what terms they are offering now. 

Whats your point? The murrells are worse or something? As bad maybe but just another set of pigs. Youre no way endorsing the last 14 years at Westminster are you???

Add zero hours contracts and this UBER/Deliveroo gig economy nonsense to the list. We have health and safety stuff coming out of our ears yet few checks on exploitative practices. 

Deliveroo won their supreme court case due to having a dodgy loophole clause in their contracts.

The supreme court fully acknowledged that this clause only existed to let them cynically get around employment laws.

So Deliveroo have gotten away with paying drivers as less as £2 an hour due to one clause in a contract, that could be made illegal at the stroke of a pen if the Government wanted to do it.

Uber did not have that clause, so they lost their supreme court case and have to recognise their worker as employees.

The gig economy has its place but it's laughably badly regulated and workers are being shafted.

Again, the government could fix it easily, but chooses not to.

That's the neoliberal dream. All business costs offloaded on to the workers.
Minimum wage, minimum working conditions and minimum days off totally avoided.

All the profits hoarded by the board members. 

And that's exactly what they're aiming at. The 99% working for pennies as the 1% live a life of luxury.

Edited by Cade