Star Wars and all that! (Updated)

Alex Kintner

On 13/11/2022 at 10:14, DarthVodka said:

Is it bad that I have started shouting at my kids ‘on program!’?

not that it works like…

LOL Outstanding!

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• neilnunb

• Cade

• Watt-Zeefuik

• JudyJudyJudy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Mods, could we get a thread title change to Star Wars and All That or some such? Fun topics going on in here beyond the worst Star Wars streaming TV series in memory, let's get it off the title.

• 2 weeks later...

Mando Season 3 😁

Spoiler

Some size of croc that. 😁

But less than 40mins for a season opener...come on! 🤷‍♂️😡

Only thing about that episode is I found it really dark, although obviously the location meant it was going to be like that. Maybe my tv settings but going to have to watch it again with the brightness turned up! 

Watt-Zeefuik

Have only seen Episode 1 yet, but looks like they've kept their freshness. Looking forward to this.

Also, could @Maple Leaf or @davemclaren or someone change the thread title to "Star Wars and all that" or something so that we're not all discussing the good series under the title of the worst one?

• davemclaren changed the title to Star Wars and all that! (Updated)
davemclaren
1 minute ago, Led Tasso said:

Have only seen Episode 1 yet, but looks like they've kept their freshness. Looking forward to this.

Also, could @Maple Leaf or @davemclaren or someone change the thread title to "Star Wars and all that" or something so that we're not all discussing the good series under the title of the worst one?

👍

Enjoyed that.

Barnstorming start, long world-building main part then a redemption arc at the end.

The only thing unclear is the motivations of one character, but I'm sure that'll be explained at some point later on.

Dean Winchester
6 hours ago, Cade said:

Enjoyed that.

Barnstorming start, long world-building main part then a redemption arc at the end.

The only thing unclear is the motivations of one character, but I'm sure that'll be explained at some point later on.

Enjoyed it. 2 great episodes to begin with and then a bit of a slow burner. Happy to see where it goes as I don't think the direction is very clear at the moment... I guess the hints are there that Din becomes the Mandalore but not sure how Bo-Katan will fit into that as either a friend or foe. At this point I think I'm still far more excited about seeing Sabine, Ezra and Thrawn in the Ahsoka series.

Watt-Zeefuik

I just watched Mando 3.2 and 3.3 and I hope it's not just shade off of Andor, but I'm struggling through it a bit. The writing on ep 2 felt painful—contrived to get to the key situation.

Spoiler

Also the entrapment angle in ep 3 was painful to watch. I suppose they're doing something with her and her parents or past life or something, but in the context of this series, that whole plotline and the Coruscant scenes just felt out of place.

I still say this show is at its best when it just does samurai/western TV show in space. That's what made the first two seasons so enjoyable.  Just too all over the place for me.

Of course the fight scenes were fabulous. Can't deny that.

Diadora Van Basten

I watched Great Rail journeys Oslo to Bergen and there was a stop at the hotel where the Star Wars cast stayed while filming The Empire Strikes Back. Apparently fans meet up there at certain times of the year and dress up as Stormtroopers in Hoth gear.

In a season of only 8 episodes, do we really have time for a shitey filler like this week's offering?

Especially when it's under half an hour long?

:wtf:

Bindy Badgy
On 22/03/2023 at 10:00, neilnunb said:

30min episode...

:yadayada::banghead2:

6 hours ago, Cade said:

In a season of only 8 episodes, do we really have time for a shitey filler like this week's offering?

Especially when it's under half an hour long?

I enjoyed it, but the point about it not advancing the plot much is valid.

Oh shit...

Spoiler

I think we just got Zeb from Rebels 😲🙂

Hopefully means we get the rest of the crew before the Ahsoka show.

Good stuff this week.

Could have spread it out over two episodes instead of wasting last week on nothing, but a welcome change of pace.

Bindy Badgy
On 29/03/2023 at 10:32, neilnunb said:

Oh shit...

Hide contents

I think we just got Zeb from Rebels 😲🙂

Hopefully means we get the rest of the crew before the Ahsoka show.

The voice was a good match.

On 16/03/2023 at 21:45, Led Tasso said:

I just watched Mando 3.2 and 3.3 and I hope it's not just shade off of Andor, but I'm struggling through it a bit. The writing on ep 2 felt painful—contrived to get to the key situation.

Reveal hidden contents

Also the entrapment angle in ep 3 was painful to watch. I suppose they're doing something with her and her parents or past life or something, but in the context of this series, that whole plotline and the Coruscant scenes just felt out of place.

I still say this show is at its best when it just does samurai/western TV show in space. That's what made the first two seasons so enjoyable.  Just too all over the place for me.

Of course the fight scenes were fabulous. Can't deny that.

I just watched the first 2 episodes of the Mandalorian season one and was impressed by the entire thing, i'm going to follow it and eventually catch up.

I don't know a lot about star wars, in fact I didn't even know this had a star wars connection till I saw it in the opening credits. I only ever really watched the very first star wars film.

But I live on planet earth so i'm obviously familiar with a lot of star wars canon, it's unavoidable. But I do love space stuff, star trek TOS is my favourite.

The production value in the Mandalorian is comparable with Hollywood and that's not always been the case for TV. TV can now compete with Hollywood on production value plus the best writers and actors.  This really is a new golden age of TV.

Dean Winchester
6 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I just watched the first 2 episodes of the Mandalorian season one and was impressed by the entire thing, i'm going to follow it and eventually catch up.

I don't know a lot about star wars, in fact I didn't even know this had a star wars connection till I saw it in the opening credits. I only ever really watched the very first star wars film.

But I live on planet earth so i'm obviously familiar with a lot of star wars canon, it's unavoidable. But I do love space stuff, star trek TOS is my favourite.

The production value in the Mandalorian is comparable with Hollywood and that's not always been the case for TV. TV can now compete with Hollywood on production value plus the best writers and actors.  This really is a new golden age of TV.

It's well worth watching the behind the scenes to see how they've bridged the gap. The Volume and use of games engines have been a big part of it allowing them to immensely cut costs away from using the traditional blue/green screens.

7 hours ago, Cade said:

2 episodes left and THIS is what they give us?

Some totally unrelated side quest?

Spoiler

But at least there was plenty Bo-Katan in it. I like a strong woman. 

Dean Winchester
39 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Reveal hidden contents

But at least there was plenty Bo-Katan in it. I like a strong woman. 

Spoiler

Katee Sackhoff is wonderful 😍

Still enjoying the Mandalorian. There had been leaks before this season started that it was going to devide a lot of opinion and it certainly seems to be. I know there's been a lot of talk about viewing figures dropping but then again Disney + lost loads of subscribers.

Todays episode just seemed like extra heavy on the cameos though. 

Edited by neilnunb

10 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Still enjoying the Mandalorian. There had been leaks before this season started that it was going to devide a lot of opinion and it certainly seems to be. I know there's been a lot of talk about viewing figures dropping but then again Disney + lost loads of subscribers.

Todays episode just seemed like extra heavy on the cameos though. 

Are you trying to say one of the cameos is fat? 

2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Are you trying to say one of the cameos is fat? 

Haha I am shite at recognising folk but I got her right away...took me ages to realise who her other half was though 🤦‍♂️

Watt-Zeefuik
7 hours ago, neilnunb said:

Haha I am shite at recognising folk but I got her right away...took me ages to realise who her other half was though 🤦‍♂️

I had to look it up. Thought he looked familiar but I'd have guessed 40 names before I got there.

Watt-Zeefuik
8 hours ago, vegas-voss said:

Everything just seems shit after Andor 

Honestly took me a while to get back into Mandalorian after Andor. But Favreau really does basically stick to the "Kurosawa/John Ford in space" formulas and it works.

But yeah if they were music Mandalorian seasons would be pop anthems with lots of good hooks and Andor S1 would be a nearly flawless concept album.

il Duce McTarkin
8 hours ago, vegas-voss said:

Everything just seems shit after Andor 

It really was the Star Wars I'd been waiting for since Empire Strikes Back.

8 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

But yeah if they were music Mandalorian seasons would be pop anthems with lots of good hooks and Andor S1 would be a nearly flawless concept album.

:D

Good analogy.

2 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Honestly took me a while to get back into Mandalorian after Andor. But Favreau really does basically stick to the "Kurosawa/John Ford in space" formulas and it works.

Some elements are really good and then it goes to complete cheese.I don't think the writing is as good now sometimes I think Favreau is fighting with what he wants and the disneyfied way.Also the different directors week from week seems to effect the quality of episodes.

14 hours ago, Dean Winchester said:

It's well worth watching the behind the scenes to see how they've bridged the gap. The Volume and use of games engines have been a big part of it allowing them to immensely cut costs away from using the traditional blue/green screens.

A major part of it is TV has infinitely more money than it ever had before. Take Britain for example, all we used to have were BBC and ITV, sure the BBC demands a licence fee but that aside ITV existed largely in advertising revenue, and that was the standard model for TV around the world.

The BBC actually made high quality programming with their historical dramas and the like, expensive stuff few stations in the world could afford to do. Because unlike them the BBC had a guaranteed income. And it didn't matter if nobody even watched their expensive drama. But it should be mentioned they did watch all around the world where a lot of it is regarded as classic.

Then came satellite/cable TV which millions began paying for monthly giving the bigger ones massive incomes which gave them the money to compete with Hollywood in every way. There are good actors on TV now who would never have been on TV at all if it were still the old commercial days

You wouldn't have seen the likes of Kate Winslet and Winona Ryder or our very own Brian Cox appearing on TV, they would have appeared exclusively in film. Because tehy could make more money in say 6 weeks of filming in Hollywood than TV back then could have payed them in years. And the same thing applies to the best script writers.

Incidentally I think the BBC were also ground breaking in terms of technology. They made the documentary series walking with dinosaurs and I believe the technology involved was ground breaking at the time. Later to be emulated by Hollywood in the Jurassic Park series.