*** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***

dazajmbo

3 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

What are you on about? I clearly said in the post you quoted we haven’t played any strong teams yet. County will likely become strong, but they had a rebuild. Hibs aren’t strong, and we drew. Dundee United are not strong, St. Johnstone are not strong. We should have had 12 points from 15 based on the teams we faced. But some of them were before we started playing 2 games a week. Since we have we’ve only one once, and we made it difficult for ourselves against St. Johnstone. You asked why we’re 3rd after 5 games, I gave you a reason. Let’s see if we still are after 18 when we go into the January window. Our squad is better than other teams so should, but let’s see how it copes with needed rotation or injury and let’s see how Livingston, Aberdeen etc do too. As they don’t have the six European games (and three trips abroad) that we do.

'I give up' was not an invitation for you to quote me with more nonsense! Take the hint!

• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

You can blame that on SKY Sports, and the likes of Lineker, Ferdinand et al. They have slagged it off for so long they actually believe the pish they say.

Yeah I agree. There's often an ugly mix of ignorance and bitterness in England about Scottish football which will influence player moves north of the border.

I also think the SPFL have to take some of the blame. Whatever people think of Sky Sports a better TV deal and better marketing would help Scottish clubs, financially and in terms of perception. Plus the amateurish media coverage by BBC on both TV and radio doesn't help.

Fozzyonthefence
5 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Agreed they look as poor if not poorer. Still one of the biggest games of the season though. They have also spent a lot of money so financially at least are one of our 'rivals'...

Agreed but it was a game we should have won based on us having better players and also the way the game panned out.  We’ll likely get some points we don’t deserve in other games too though. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

'I give up' was not an invitation for you to quote me with more nonsense! Take the hint!

Fair enough, I won’t quite you anymore (after this!) with my fair and reasoned arguments that you can’t debate with so get dismissive and act like you’ve got the higher ground. Message received!

Bazzas right boot
56 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Must be a nightmare in some people's houses on Christmas morning 

Dunno, many think believing is everything so I reckon they are really excited, especially on Xmas eve. 

12 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

What are you on about? I clearly said in the post you quoted we haven’t played any strong teams yet. County will likely become strong, but they had a rebuild. Hibs aren’t strong, and we drew. Dundee United are not strong, St. Johnstone are not strong. We should have had 12 points from 15 based on the teams we faced. But some of them were before we started playing 2 games a week. Since we have we’ve only one once, and we made it difficult for ourselves against St. Johnstone. You asked why we’re 3rd after 5 games, I gave you a reason. Let’s see if we still are after 18 when we go into the January window. Our squad is better than other teams so should, but let’s see how it copes with needed rotation or injury and let’s see how Livingston, Aberdeen etc do too. As they don’t have the six European games (and three trips abroad) that we do.

I don't like any complacency about league placings, but who are the strong teams we've yet to play? I'd say we've played an average cross-section of the league.

Aberdeen have already been (well) beaten at home by Motherwell and drawn in 90 minutes with Annan, mind.

Bazzas right boot
16 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Hibs are utter shite!  You’re not disputing that are you?  Ross County looked considerably better than them. 

Time will tell, Hibs will be between 5th-10th imo which like last season will be very close, may be separated by 1 win. 

Boyle might get them over the line into the top 6. 

Most games outside the uglies are close, Aberdeen have had a few big wins v 10.

I don't think we'll hammer many teams but we'll show more consistency than the rest over the season. 

We have the best team and best manager outside the OF. 

15 minutes ago, Forza Tertz said:

Yeah I agree. There's often an ugly mix of ignorance and bitterness in England about Scottish football which will influence player moves north of the border.

I also think the SPFL have to take some of the blame. Whatever people think of Sky Sports a better TV deal and better marketing would help Scottish clubs, financially and in terms of perception. Plus the amateurish media coverage by BBC on both TV and radio doesn't help.

I can't agree with that. Scottish football is perceived (if it's even perceived at all) by people as being a joke...because it is. We all know it, it's corrupt, it's dominated by two teams and the quality is atrocious.

I've lived down in England for a while now, most of it is just banter towards our game. People aren't bitter about it, why would they be? Is there English arrogance about their game? Absolutely, they'll call all the other leagues farmer's leagues...leagues who have teams that would wipe the floor with the entire SPFL. 

Whilst we've teams getting skelped 7-0 in Europe, getting knocked out by Sligo and even ourselves losing to a Maltese team people will mock our league. It's not bad because of that mocking, it's mocked because it's bad.

Edited by Taffin

6 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

You’re not being serious surely?!  Simms brings way more to the team than Shankland. Shankland may score more goals (although early signs are that Simms might bang them in in a better league this season) but Simms is a far better and more effective all round player. We’re missing him hugely.  Shankland has been completely anonymous in some games  (like Wednesday night) and we’ll get a lot of that with him.

I'm being serious and am surprised it's even up for debate. Shanks was all over the pitch Wednesday, running the channels, pulling the defence around, and even tracking back to cover breaks and clearing a goal off the line that had beat Gordon. Our problem in attack Wednesday was that we've become reliant on Boyce or Grant to sit in the middle and orchestrate the attack. Without that to pull out Kilmarnock's defence a little bit, they were able to smother anything in the box by parking three buses and stopping up any movement in the box. Shankland was fine.

Folks also forget that Simms disappeared for games too, which strikers do sometimes when the service to them can't crack a defence. Again, nothing against Simms, who was a fine player for us, but folks are getting misty-eyed over him and remembering him as more than he actually was.

43 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Because outside Celtic we haven’t played strong teams yet. And when we have, including Celtic and Zurich, we’ve lost. And when the injuries start coming because we can’t rotate as much as we want (like we had when we lost to Kilmarnock) we don’t have a squad like Rangers or Celtic do to cope with such things as midweek trips to Istanbul. This season is different, and needed a different approach.

Again, mostly supposition. 

30 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I doubt it in Aberdeen’s case - they’ve sold Ferguson and Ramsay for around £9m iirc. 

Supposedly but somehow doubt it.  They won’t have seen a lot of it yet though. 

6 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Or the players we wanted said no and we still have work to do in the free transfer market. 

Loans can also become permanent. 

And if they don't work out, they can also be quietly returned.

Beginning of last season few of us would have predicted that we'd have signed Cochrane and declined Woodburn despite him showing interest in returning, but by the end of the season we were all in 100% consensus on that.

1 minute ago, Led Tasso said:

I'm being serious and am surprised it's even up for debate. Shanks was all over the pitch Wednesday, running the channels, pulling the defence around, and even tracking back to cover breaks and clearing a goal off the line that had beat Gordon. Our problem in attack Wednesday was that we've become reliant on Boyce or Grant to sit in the middle and orchestrate the attack. Without that to pull out Kilmarnock's defence a little bit, they were able to smother anything in the box by parking three buses and stopping up any movement in the box. Shankland was fine.

Folks also forget that Simms disappeared for games too, which strikers do sometimes when the service to them can't crack a defence. Again, nothing against Simms, who was a fine player for us, but folks are getting misty-eyed over him and remembering him as more than he actually was.

Bloody hell, I think Shankland is a good player and a good signing, but this is close to being the most delusional post on JKB this year!!!

Just now, David McCaig said:

Bloody hell, I think Shankland is a good player and a good signing, but this is close to being the most delusional post on JKB this year!!!

Tell me, what magical qualities did Simms possess that make him better than Shanks, who's at 3 goals out of 5 and saved a goal off the line on Wednesday?

2 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Tell me, what magical qualities did Simms possess that make him better than Shanks, who's at 3 goals out of 5 and saved a goal off the line on Wednesday?

Simms is quicker, stronger, better in the air and works harder.

Whilst Shankland’s work outside the box isn’t as bad as we feared it might be, its nonsensical to suggest that he’s actually good in this area.

Where Shankland excels and where he is better than Simms is in the art of predatory finishing and thats why its such a shame that we weren’t able to see Shankland and Simms paired together or even Shankland and Simms-type player.

Ultimately the trajectory of Shankland and Simms’ careers tell their own story.

59 minutes ago, ...andFulton'sBaggio said:

100% this. Honestly, sometimes I think we should call Tynecastle "The Home of the Moan".

It's kickback where I find peak misery. I struggle to ignore the Jeremiahs quick enough sometimes, but it's always worth the effort.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

I think Simms is a far better player, pace, strength, good in the air, can hold up, flick it on, burst past defenders, burst the net, he is pretty much an all rounder.

Don't get me wrong, happy to have LS and he is a good permanent player for us, but Simms is a step up, he could quite feasibly play in the EPL, if not for Everton AN Other, Shankland is a strong Scottish player with no hope of playing at that level. Review Simms from March again.

Shanks is primarily a predator, however he is showing more than what I thought he had outside the are, very good at our level and realistic to our budget, and a great addition.

54 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Take it maths wasn't your subject at school?

Silly comment. 

It's obvious there has been no boat pushing regardless of whether you think it's been a great, ok or poor transfer window. We have had Cup Final money, record Season Ticket revenues, between 3-5 million in 'prize money' minimum coming in from a European campaign, conservatively £1.5 million more from gate receipts / media etc for the 4 home European games, Hickey monies etc not even to mention the continued £140k a month contribution to help with non footballing matters so spending circa £800-1.2 million (you can decide which end of that scale is reality) is the absolute least that should have been expected but it's certainly been measured rather than any speculating and "pushing the boat" out. We lost 2 of our best players and so far have added several who look very promising (for me Rowles looks particularly like he has a very good career ahead of him) but I'm not sure our starting 11 is any better. I do think the overall squad is (when fit!).

And that's fine, if you played the post rather than the poster you would see that much of what I've written has been positive and that I'm as confident as anyone that we will finish 3rd again this year despite feeling relatively disappointed at us not doing more to separate ourselves. I have no doubt if we can avoid further catastrophic long term injuries we have by far the best starting 11-15 and definitely the best squad. It's impossible to know right now whether we will regret not doing more, domestically I think we'll be fine, I don't see the type of consistency and improvement coming from others to overtake us over a 38 game season. I just really hope we can get close to our best starting 11 out for some of these upcoming European games.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
38 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Depression sweeping over the forum like a big black cloud ................................ hopefully we get a good win vs Livi and the new striker score ........................ might keep the crows at bay for three days

Black cloud is over this place on our brightest days :)

This place is going into meltdown !

way too many self entitled trumpets blowing hot air !

anyway, anybody seen Daz after his horrendous story from yesterday proved total nonesense   ?  

11 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Indeed. Shankland has started well, scored a couple of important goals and without question is something we have lacked - if he stays fit he should get close to 20 goals this season given he's taking the pens. That said he's very limited technically and doesn't offer anything like the presence Simms did. The loss of Simms,, who was improving week on week towards the end of last season has been huge, beside Shankland he would have been an incredible asset. 

4 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Silly comment. 

It's obvious there has been no boat pushing regardless of whether you think it's been a great, ok or poor transfer window. We have had Cup Final money, record Season Ticket revenues, between 3-5 million in 'prize money' minimum coming in from a European campaign, conservatively £1.5 million more from gate receipts / media etc for the 4 home European games, Hickey monies etc not even to mention the continued £140k a month contribution to help with non footballing matters so spending circa £800-1.2 million (you can decide which end of that scale is reality) is the absolute least that should have been expected but it's certainly been measured rather than any speculating and "pushing the boat" out. We lost 2 of our best players and so far have added several who look very promising (for me Rowles looks particularly like he has a very good career ahead of him) but I'm not sure our starting 11 is any better. I do think the overall squad is (when fit!).

And that's fine, if you played the post rather than the poster you would see that much of what I've written has been positive and that I'm as confident as anyone that we will finish 3rd again this year despite feeling relatively disappointed at us not doing more to separate ourselves. I have no doubt if we can avoid further catastrophic long term injuries we have by far the best starting 11-15 and definitely the best squad. It's impossible to know right now whether we will regret not doing more, domestically I think we'll be fine, I don't see the type of consistency and improvement coming from others to overtake us over a 38 game season. I just really hope we can get close to our best starting 11 out for some of these upcoming European games.

You won’t get a level headed response. The bairns are out in force spitting dummies at any wee bit of criticism.  I used to be like that when I was 12, not so much now 36 years later…🙂

1 minute ago, Luckies1874 said:

Indeed. Shankland has started well, scored a couple of important goals and without question is something we have lacked - if he stays fit he should get close to 20 goals this season given he's taking the pens. That said he's very limited technically and doesn't offer anything like the presence Simms did. The loss of Simms,, who was improving week on week towards the end of last season has been huge, beside Shankland he would have been an incredible asset. 

Which explains why Simms isn’t with us this season, unfortunately. 

I like Shankland as well but very different type of player to Simms. 

7 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Whilst Shankland’s work outside the box isn’t as bad as we feared it might be, its nonsensical to suggest that he’s actually good in this area.

Where Shankland excels and where he is better than Simms is in the art of predatory finishing and thats why its such a shame that we weren’t able to see Shankland and Simms paired together or even Shankland and Simms-type player.

Hopefully Humphrys  can fill that Simms role. 

Just now, davemclaren said:

Which explains why Simms isn’t with us this season, unfortunately. 

I like Shankland as well but very different type of player to Simms. 

Yep. His form for Hearts was always going to see others become more aware of him and there was always a felling that his second season out on loan would be for a big Championship club. 

The Goalscoring Knee
2 minutes ago, gorgieheart said:

This place is going into meltdown !

way too many self entitled trumpets blowing hot air !

I think it's calmed down quite a lot in comparison with last night! Some very measured responses.

8 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Silly comment. 

Take all the transfer fees paid during this window. Add them up. Then compare them to all the recent windows. It will all become clear. 

27 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

I don't like any complacency about league placings, but who are the strong teams we've yet to play? I'd say we've played an average cross-section of the league.

Aberdeen have already been (well) beaten at home by Motherwell and drawn in 90 minutes with Annan, mind.

Aberdeen, like County, had a rebuild to do. But they’re finding their rhythm with Miovski and Besuijen forming a decent partnership. Motherwell are coming back under Hammell and Livingston are always tough these days. Dundee Utd should be better with the players the have, and I suspect now Ross has gone they will. And County will be strong once they’ve had time to gel all their new players. But when we played them they were a bunch of strangers to each other.

3 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

You won’t get a level headed response. The bairns are out in force spitting dummies at any wee bit of criticism.  I used to be like that when I was 12, not so much now 36 years later…🙂

I can understand those defending the club against obviously negative and OTT criticism and unfair/unrealitsic expectations but when they are also all over reasoned, balanced and thought out opinions it just becomes tedious. It is possible to be positive about much that is going on whilst at the same time articulating concerns and asking questions about certain areas of the recruitment, planning, balance of the squad and where the significant increase in revenue is actually going. I've been fairly vocal in my opinion we will be 3rd again but equally I've stated that it is imperative that happens, it's never been more crucial given the current co-efficient and enormous opportunity that is available to us. It could set us up for years to come which is why I want us to ensure that doesn't slip through our hands and if that means being more "aggressive" (Neilson's word not mine!) then damn well get it done! This isn't the moment to be conservative. 

Just now, Luckies1874 said:

I can understand those defending the club against obviously negative and OTT criticism and unfair/unrealitsic expectations but when they are also all over reasoned, balanced and thought out opinions it just becomes tedious. It is possible to be positive about much that is going on whilst at the same time articulating concerns and asking questions about certain areas of the recruitment, planning, balance of the squad and where the significant increase in revenue is actually going. I've been fairly vocal in my opinion we will be 3rd again but equally I've stated that it is imperative that happens, it's never been more crucial given the current co-efficient and enormous opportunity that is available to us. It could set us up for years to come which is why I want us to ensure that doesn't slip through our hands and if that means being more "aggressive" (Neilson's word not mine!) then damn well get it done! This isn't the moment to be conservative. 

I agree.  Not going to go long winded, but after establishing 3rd again there’s a chance to grasp it more regularly and , as you say, get the benefits that come.  

I think we have a more settled core of players than other clubs outside the Old Firm. That’s a base to build from.

4 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

You mean it doesn’t suit your agenda?!  Why shouldn’t us fans have the same expectations as our manager?

Exactly.  And I find the phrase " It's only folk that have absolutely no understanding of football" patronising and offensive.  We all have our opinions and that phrase should not be used to infer that one's opinion is superior to others.  

We’ve got six games in Europe to look forward to, we’re 3rd in the league, which is where we want to be.

But it’s one game at a time and that should be our focus, injuries and transfers are just interference and will take care of itself.

let’s deal with Livvy tomorrow. ‘Mon the Hearts, FTH

The Grim Reaper
2 minutes ago, chrystaf said:

Exactly.  And I find the phrase " It's only folk that have absolutely no understanding of football" patronising and offensive.  We all have our opinions and that phrase should not be used to infer that one's opinion is superior to others.  

You can't reason with the resident happy clappers, agenda driven looneys.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, The Grim Reaper said:

You can't reason with the resident happy clappers, agenda driven looneys.

Not using those words yourself, no :rofl:

I think we have had a fairly successful window to be honest.

could we do with a few more in? yes of course

is there still scope to bring players in? again, yes.

if there are free agents out there within budget, and the club feel they will be required for Europe then I believe they will do everything they can before tonight's deadline.

if the players are more fo the league then we don't have to rush.

as for the chat about players being shown around yesterday, deals may have fallen through, better offers made or, said players are free agents and there was no rush to get them pushed through last night.

and for those bumping their gums about free agents, just because they have no club right now, doesn't mean they are crap players, just that they don't have a team. we may not have to pay a fee for them but there will still be agents fees, signing on fees and wages. these players may end up costing as much as those we paid fees for.

18 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Shankland is limited technically?! He’s up there with our most talented technically. His touch is fantastic. He’s definitely top 5 in our squad on technical ability.

If he had the physical side of simms game he’d be at the very top level. Alas, he hasn’t, so he’s with us. 

22 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Funny how folk see things differently - I think Shankland has been surprisingly good technically.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
9 minutes ago, Gav M said:

I think we have had a fairly successful window to be honest.

could we do with a few more in? yes of course

is there still scope to bring players in? again, yes.

if there are free agents out there within budget, and the club feel they will be required for Europe then I believe they will do everything they can before tonight's deadline.

if the players are more fo the league then we don't have to rush.

as for the chat about players being shown around yesterday, deals may have fallen through, better offers made or, said players are free agents and there was no rush to get them pushed through last night.

and for those bumping their gums about free agents, just because they have no club right now, doesn't mean they are crap players, just that they don't have a team. we may not have to pay a fee for them but there will still be agents fees, signing on fees and wages. these players may end up costing as much as those we paid fees for.

Looking at the list @Batistuta87provided, quite easily have your star player out of that list, in fact we have already got our best 2 players this way (outfield), personally find it uncomfortable this late for some reason, but it has worked out for us several times and could easily do so again

Edited by Lord Beni of Gorgie

1 minute ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Aberdeen, like County, had a rebuild to do. But they’re finding their rhythm with Miovski and Besuijen forming a decent partnership. Motherwell are coming back under Hammell and Livingston are always tough these days. Dundee Utd should be better with the players the have, and I suspect now Ross has gone they will. And County will be strong once they’ve had time to gel all their new players. But when we played them they were a bunch of strangers to each other.

I share a lot of your concerns about the squad but I think you're reaching for stuff to discredit a more than decent start to the league campaign so far.

Aberdeen were poor on Saturday until the red (I watched) and they drew in 90 minutes with Annan the other night. I'm not sure they're finding their rhythm. Miovski is good and they could be a threat this season but I suspect their defence could cost them.

Ross County started 3 new signings against us - the same as we did or fewer if you include Grant who came on after half an hour. They'd also had 4 competitive games to gel, unlike us. They put in a solid, well-drilled performance and didn't resemble a team of strangers at all.

Dundee United were easy for us to play against last season and looked the same again. They're a really soft-centred team with no bite in midfield. They can hardly get worse but a new manager is going to find that a tough fix.

Motherwell look pretty meh to me and Livingston are often a tough team but have lost their last three games. No better than the general quality of the teams we've played so far.

13 minutes ago, chrystaf said:

I think you find that phrase patronising because it is and can only be meant as such. 

We’ve had a decent window but it’s disappointing not to get the final couple of players over the line. Some folk would brand it a rip roaring success regardless of who we signed or how many. 

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

I think you find that phrase patronising because it is and can only be meant as such. 

We’ve had a decent window but it’s disappointing not to get the final couple of players over the line. Some folk would brand it a rip roaring success regardless of who we signed or how many. 

There is stroll time for a couple of freebies today. Robbie has said we still need a few more in so hope he’s true to his word 

17 minutes ago, chrystaf said:

More offensive than  

The bairns are out in force spitting dummies at any wee bit of criticism

or less ?

42 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

I've been very pleasantly surprised by Shankland's workrate. He runs tirelessly imo. It's just not as effective as Simms because as you say he was quicker, stronger and better in the air.

Completely agree though with the rest of your post 👍

Edited by Taffin

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***