*** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***

dazajmbo

There is absolutely no chance Hendry will be coming to us

18 minutes ago, Rocky jamboa said:

We probably need to add a keeper to our wish list. Stewart doesn't seem the answer at all. We need a better back up to Gordon, plus also someone who can take over from him in the next couple of years. Maybe a decent young keeper from an EPL club down south, who would benefit from working under Gordon.

There's no chance an EPL club would send one of their decent young keepers up here to warm a bench all season

• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

Rocky jamboa
25 minutes ago, Chimp said:

There's no chance an EPL club would send one of their decent young keepers up here to warm a bench all season

Not necessarily on loan but a permanent deal, with a view to them being our number 1 when Gordon finally hangs up his gloves, which might only be a season or two away. 

We've had some great keepers over the years and have seen over the last few years how important a good one is. I doubt we would have got relegated if we'd had Gordon in goals. Or maybe even finished 3rd this season. 

48 minutes ago, Rocky jamboa said:

We probably need to add a keeper to our wish list. Stewart doesn't seem the answer at all. We need a better back up to Gordon, plus also someone who can take over from him in the next couple of years. Maybe a decent young keeper from an EPL club down south, who would benefit from working under Gordon.

Or maybe Stone/McFarlane.

If they are not decent prospects they should not be at the club.

If they are decent prospects, why not give them a go as we did with CG many years ago.

They cannot turn out worse than Joel or Stewart surely.

Batistuta87
56 minutes ago, Rocky jamboa said:

100%. I can't bear to watch Stewart. I have absolutely no trust in him what so ever and in the two games he's started this season, we've conceded very early goals that he should have done better with. He needs to go. 

I've mentioned him a few times, but I would love to sign Aiden McAdams from Ayr Utd. He's out of contract in the summer so wouldn't cost anything, he's still young (23), and was at Celtic as a teenager when CG was there. Was also on Rangers books as a youth, and is capped for Scotland up to U21. Watch our matches v Greenock Morton last season and you'll see what I mean - he looks like a very good keeper. 

An alternative would be someone like Harry Lewis from Southampton, who has come through their youth ranks but not made it into the first team and at 24 is unlikely to be kept on. We won't get someone on loan because they'll probably only play a couple of games. Ideally we want someone young enough to not expect to play every week, who can still learn, but who would do the job if we needed him and will be old enough and good enough in a year or two. For me, McAdams is absolutely perfect.

Edited by Batistuta87

12 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

100%. I can't bear to watch Stewart. I have absolutely no trust in him what so ever and in the two games he's started this season, we've conceded very early goals that he should have done better with. He needs to go. 

I've mentioned him a few times, but I would love to sign Aiden McAdams from Ayr Utd. He's out of contract in the summer so wouldn't cost anything, he's still young (23), and was at Celtic as a teenager when CG was there. Was also on Rangers books as a youth, and is capped for Scotland up to U21. Watch our matches v Greenock Morton last season and you'll see what I mean - he looks like a very good keeper. 

An alternative would be someone like Harry Lewis from Southampton, who has come through their youth ranks but not made it into the first team and at 24 is unlikely to be kept on. We won't get someone on loan because they'll probably only play a couple of games. Ideally we want someone young enough to not expect to play every week, who can still learn, but who would do the job if we needed him and will be old enough and good enough in a year or two. For me, McAdams is absolutely perfect.

Look how awkward he looks trying to save this shot. Not good enough 

10 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

My son in law was goalkeeping coach with Morton for half a season and worked with McAdams before his move to Ayr. On that basis I took an interest and watched Morton highlights our Championship year and discussed his performance, attributes etc. Good goalkeeper at a good age with good game time experience. Ideal back up keeper 

Rocky jamboa
13 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

I don't know anything about him but yes, someone like that, or the opposite end of the spectrum and an older keeper coming to the end of his career again, such as a Fraser Foster type. 

Batistuta87
9 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Look how awkward he looks trying to save this shot. Not good enough 

Horrific. Pushed it right out into danger as well. 

Batistuta87
8 minutes ago, jambo2524 said:

My son in law was goalkeeping coach with Morton for half a season and worked with McAdams before his move to Ayr. On that basis I took an interest and watched Morton highlights our Championship year and discussed his performance, attributes etc. Good goalkeeper at a good age with good game time experience. Ideal back up keeper 

That's interesting 👍🏻 - good to know I'm not the only one who has noticed him. 

He looks a very good keeper and like you say is an ideal age to come into a club like us and to get a couple or years close mentoring from CG. 

Rick Sanchez

He was third choice at Livingston and was only signed as second choice in the Championship season during Covid. And he was only renewed because he's a good lad.

Probably one of few mistakes. If finances allow he should return to third choice. Difficult finding a second choice though.

Getting a good GK to happily play second fiddle to CG won’t be an easy task.

We’ll either need to go for an up and coming lad who wants to learn from best and can be patient for a couple of seasons….or find a GK nearing the latter stages of his career, who can combine being No.2 with a coaching role.

Edited by DH1986

Rogue Daddy
9 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Its a difficult one.... usually, a back up keeper is CGs age. If we were to have Stone warming the bench, he wouldn't get many minutes (which would be counter-productive for someone his age)... so we're left with someone like Stewart - not good enough for a Prem 1st team, happy to play back-up.

The Ayr keeper (posts above) sounds like a good shout.

On 11/05/2022 at 22:08, OTT said:

Forrest and Ronan would be brilliant business! Ronan more of a midfielder though right? Maybe competition for Boyce as a 

Lee Wallace now a free agent after 3 years with QPR..............anyone.....?

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/lee-wallace-free-agent-ex-23888309

On 11/05/2022 at 22:08, OTT said:

Forrest and Ronan would be brilliant business! Ronan more of a midfielder though right? Maybe competition for Boyce as a 10? 

Rick Sanchez

We should sign Zander Clark on the understanding he gets a fair amount of games and is the eventual successor.

We don't know if Gordon's body will handle 2 games a week until after the World Cup. He should but it'd be nice to rest him now and again with an able keeper.

RustyRightPeg

Whenever you see training videos of Stewart he always looks half decent which is odd. He’s played 3 games for us including the Brora one and has been stinking. 3rd choice at the very best. 

Liam McFarlane looks a good prospect. Natural looking stopper but also a really decent kicker.

Edited by kila

Dick Dastardly
19 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Whenever you see training videos of Stewart he always looks half decent which is odd. He’s played 3 games for us including the Brora one and has been stinking. 3rd choice at the very best. 

I'm not trying to say he is a good keeper but it must be quite difficult to just come in and play one game here and there. We definitely need a lot better on him though

1 hour ago, Rick Sanchez said:

He was third choice at Livingston and was only signed as second choice in the Championship season during Covid. And he was only renewed because he's a good lad.

Probably one of few mistakes. If finances allow he should return to third choice. Difficult finding a second choice though.

Maybe a break down in communications: they were probably given the green light to sign Ross Stewart (now of Sunderland) and signed the wrong RS

Auld Reekin'
32 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Stewart isn’t good enough.  Should be third choice at best

Yep - back at Livingston. :icon14:

He did look better and more confident going for balls in the air, but a 'keeper who is as poor a shot-stopper as Stewart looked for Motherwell's first shouldn't be "a keeper".

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
On 10/05/2022 at 22:13, franco2209 said:

No concrete info of £18m transfer, Celtic not due anything, No evidence of 20% clause to Hearts, 20%  of 18m is £3.6m.....apart from that, spot on😄

No bother Rachel Riley 👍

1 hour ago, Rick Sanchez said:

He won’t be here next season. Signing a second keeper plus we have Stone and McFarlane as back up. 

42 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Maybe a break down in communications: they were probably given the green light to sign Ross Stewart (now of Sunderland) and signed the wrong RS

Like If you watched Mike Bassett film when he called up benson and hedges after writing the squad down on his packet of cigarettes 

22 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Like If you watched Mike Bassett film when he called up benson and hedges after writing the squad down on his packet of cigarettes 

Not really.

More like (if the rumour was true), when Newcastle gave the go ahead to sign John Blackley they thought they were signing Jeff Blockley.

John Rambo
2 hours ago, Rick Sanchez said:

We should sign Zander Clark on the understanding he gets a fair amount of games and is the eventual successor.

We don't know if Gordon's body will handle 2 games a week until after the World Cup. He should but it'd be nice to rest him now and again with an able keeper.

100% agree.

We need a number 2 who has a decent size pair of cajones who will back themselves to take the number 1 shirt from Craigy G.  A keeper with that profile and decent ability will provide Craigy G with the continued motivation to perform while also allowing us a reliable back up; Stewart is not that keeper.

As you suggest, play in the league cup games, a few league games against the 'lower' end teams and see where we go.

Clark, the Livi keeper or Hladky will do. Not Macdonald coming back though as some have suggested. He is prone to do what Stewart did last night and palm/divert the ball back into danger.

Point is, we MUST get a decent number 2 for next season.

Edited by John Rambo
spelling

OmiyaHearts

Apart from Rangers, no club in Scotland has 2 keepers that are good enough for the 1st team. Decent keepers don't sit on the bench, unless they get very good money.

Why would Clarke sit on our bench, when he can likely walk into a starting slot in the lower Championship or any league 1 club in England? Earning more cash and keeping his Scotland place.

Edited by OmiyaHearts

3 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Apart from Rangers, no club in Scotland has 2 keepers that are good enough for the 1st team. Decent keepers don't sit on the bench, unless they get very good money.

Why would Clarke sit on our bench, when he can likely walk into a starting slot in the lower Championship or any league 1 club in England? Earning more cash and keeping his Scotland place.

Good point but we’re having to replace Gordon sooner or later. Do you get an understudy in now on the understanding that he is the successor and gradually give him starts, or do we just wait until Gordon is done and sign a ready to go replacement then.

2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Good point but we’re having to replace Gordon sooner or later. Do you get an understudy in now on the understanding that he is the successor and gradually give him starts, or do we just wait until Gordon is done and sign a ready to go replacement then.

We should get a reserve team sorted pronto get Stone playing every week in my opinion

RustyRightPeg
9 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

I agree but from our perspective it’s time we looked forward. I’m not saying replace Gordon here and now, but he won’t be here forever. 

Stone seems to have somewhat stagnated, whether that’s who he was loaned to, or performance related remains to be seen. I understand he’s a young lad as well, but he really has no one better to learn from between Gordon and Gallagher. Macfarlane impressed in the youth cup final but he’s a long way off, as is Harris Spratt.

Savage and RN will know we need a number 2. I saw last night as an audition for Stewart personally. He’s had 3 strikes and he’ll be out in the summer IMO. 

Rick Sanchez
15 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

That's my feeling.

Gordon is at an age where one day he's going to wake up and have some serious thoughts about continuing. It won't be before next season but the one after....It'd be good to take the burden off him a bit.

As for Clark, he was just a suggestion. He might want to stay in Scotland...he might fancy playing with his international team mate, he might fancy a couple of European games, he might fancy winning more trophies.

Rangers and Celtic...nope. Hibs will have Marshall. Aberdeen will have that St Mirren goalkeeper. If we can make him a package of 20 games next season...take over the next...it might temp him.

Edited by Rick Sanchez

13 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

That's my feeling.

Gordon is at an age where one day he's going to wake up and have some serious thoughts about continuing. It won't be before next season but the one after....It'd be good to take the burden off him a bit.

As for Clark, he was just a suggestion. He might want to stay in Scotland...he might fancy playing with his international team mate, he might fancy a couple of European games, he might fancy winning more trophies.

Rangers and Celtic...nope. Hibs will have Marshall. Aberdeen will have that St Mirren goalkeeper. If we can make him a package of 20 games next season...take over the next...it might temp him.

I think that Dabrowski kid at Hibs looks alright we should may be just take him off them

13 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

That's my feeling.

Good idea. Play him in the cups and against the bottom 6 at home ought to cover most of that 20 games

Uncle Buck

I’d go for Jak Alnwick as back up but I know he’s rumoured to be following Goodwin to Aberdeen.

17 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I’d go for Jak Alnwick as back up but I know he’s rumoured to be following Goodwin to Aberdeen.

He's off to Cardiff.

16 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

He will go to the sheep he will be first choice but he’s definitely a good keeper 

Batistuta87

We'll never get a keeper who is currently holding down a regular first team place at another Premiership club to come and sit on the bench for us. No chance. A strong Championship keeper or someone who is getting towards the end of their career is our best bet. 

13 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

We'll never get a keeper who is currently holding down a regular first team place at another Premiership club to come and sit on the bench for us. No chance. A strong Championship keeper or someone who is getting towards the end of their career is our best bet. 

Would take Jamie Sneddon, only 24 and has looked decent for Partick.

jamboinglasgow
2 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

What's Myles Hogarth up to,could do a job.

We could always get his son Nicky who is at Nottingham Forest 

BelgeJambo
8 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Bawz, Union St not wining it them, what a story that was. 

Two games left and they both play Anderlecht and Antwerp

cant see Brugge ****ing it up now

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

Two games left and they both play Anderlecht and Antwerp

cant see Brugge ****ing it up now

Cheers. 

Did they beat them twice to reverse the 3 point gap? 

BelgeJambo
1 minute ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Cheers. 

Did they beat them twice to reverse the 3 point gap? 

Aye

Bazzas right boot
36 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

If we double their wage we might. 

Unlikely tho. 

Souttar seems OK with that. 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, BelgeJambo said:

Aye

Oh well, at least it wil stop someone on JKB bringing it up and using it to smash Robbie over the head with when we don't win the league. 

Shame tho, looks like the split set up made it harder for them. 

Watt-Zeefuik
2 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

One of the best keepers we've played against this season. He was outstanding every time I saw him. Too bad he's out of our reach.

I assume that if we (rightly IMO) move on from Stewart, we'll be after another young understudy for Gordon. Someone who wants to be a first team player but isn't quite ready yet.

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***