*** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***

dazajmbo

Jamboscanbevicius
7 hours ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Tyrese Francois being sought after from Fulham by Scottish, Portugese and Croatian clubs on loan

Australian Under 23 international

I hope not unless he is an incredible talent. He’s 5’8” and we are already not that big in there.

• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

HeartsandonlyHearts
3 minutes ago, JamboPete said:

Surely their objective would be to get stronger year on year but we are no stronger than last season and we have huge European games coming up. Ann Budge has already been quoted as saying that we want to be able to compete in Europe and not just make up the numbers. To do that we need to bring in more quality. Surely that’s obvious?

I’ll tell you what I believe to be obvious….

Actually I won’t. I’m staying out of it.

1 minute ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

I’ll tell you what I believe to be obvious….

Actually I won’t. I’m staying out of it.

I take it I’m a Hibs fan now yeah?

The Treasurer
12 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Neilson both has no Plan B and also is a tinkerer who won't settle.

You do realise that you are contradicting yourself with your post 

12 minutes ago, JamboPete said:

Surely their objective would be to get stronger year on year but we are no stronger than last season and we have huge European games coming up. Ann Budge has already been quoted as saying that we want to be able to compete in Europe and not just make up the numbers. To do that we need to bring in more quality. Surely that’s obvious?

What objectives have the club seriously failed in?

Im using your words not mine.

August Landmesser
38 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

It feels like when this thread started he was still playing 😂

This thread is nearly long enough to tie Brolin's shorts

August Landmesser
22 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Watching the Norwich game on TV it’s given me a somewhat loose analogy here. They do the hard graft to get into the competition they really want (promotion from Championship to Premier League) much like we do with Europe. Yet when they get there, they just perform sub par and don’t take things to the next level to compete. I suspect, particularly if our quality doesn’t improve (along with more nuanced tactics), that whether it be Europa or Conference, we’re going to be the Norwich in the Premier League of European competition this year. Yes, that was loose, and yes I’m somewhat drunk.

This season I reckon our objective is to get into the Europa groups.

Next season, we will be aiming to get into the Europa groups and finish third in them.

The season after, groups/third/decent run in knockout Conference stages.

There's a straightforward progression in Europe, easy to identify and measure against, hard to achieve, but very rewarding.

All the while our income streams keep growing, the gap back to fourth keeps widening, and we might even win a domestic cup or two!

36 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Honestly don’t think we’ll see anything until after the Zurich game, and probably just as likely nothing until after St. Johnstone. Obviously a lot can change between now and then but I have a hunch we’ll only sign one more (but go for more, but lose out).

Signing a player takes days/weeks, the Shankland deal took 3 or 4 weeks, possibly longer. It's not something that happens overnight with the exception of the last two days of the window where players and clubs have to make quick decisions. If we're leaving it that late then we're clearly toiling to bring in our targets that I'm sure would have been identified before the summer. 

With that in mind, we must have been negotiating during the last two weeks and close on a couple. 

9 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

What objectives have the club seriously failed in?

Im using your words not mine.

I would say, making our squad stronger than last season. Having more strength in depth which enables us to compete in 4 competitions. If the situation pans out as BOTN was speculating, then we will have failed.

28 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Not being a cock, but could the tinkering be his plan b?

1 minute ago, JamboPete said:

I would say, making our squad stronger than last season. Having more strength in depth which enables us to compete in 4 competitions. If the situation pans out as BOTN was speculating, then we will have failed.

But you said the club “have seriously failed in their objectives”

I think you should decipher what your objectives and the club’s objectives are. Or at least wait till the club states there’s before wading in feet first.

BackOfTheNet
7 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

This season I reckon our objective is to get into the Europa groups.

Next season, we will be aiming to get into the Europa groups and finish third in them.

The season after, groups/third/decent run in knockout Conference stages.

There's a straightforward progression in Europe, easy to identify and measure against, hard to achieve, but very rewarding.

All the while our income streams keep growing, the gap back to fourth keeps widening, and we might even win a domestic cup or two!

Just don’t want us to finally get to the holy land only to bundle from one defeat to the other. Will be a wee bit soul destroying. Too soon after Scotland at Euro 2020 and then the failed WC qualifier…

BackOfTheNet
6 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Signing a player takes days/weeks, the Shankland deal took 3 or 4 weeks, possibly longer. It's not something that happens overnight with the exception of the last two days of the window where players and clubs have to make quick decisions. If we're leaving it that late then we're clearly toiling to bring in our targets that I'm sure would have been identified before the summer. 

With that in mind, we must have been negotiating during the last two weeks and close on a couple. 

Here’s hoping. And I know we’ve had signings only days after first being murmured. But I’m having doubts in all honesty.

1 minute ago, Hood09 said:

Now Is the time to be putting distance between us and everyone else in the league and we seem to be flapping. 

Bold statement.

Undefeated = flapping?

You on the sauce?

9 minutes ago, JamboPete said:

I see your point.   I have read it correctly.    I get what you're  saying.   

Except, what is BOTN if you can excuse my lack of knowledge on this one?

Ffs, I just got it.   Its an abbreviation for a username. 

Edited by HMFC01

I think we’re waiting on which European competition we’ll be in before we make anymore signings.

Europa League = Plan A

Conference League = Plan B

51 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

2 for Perkins already tonight 

Scrap that idea then 😂

Although Simms had some amazing numbers in EPL2 and we were allowed to loan him 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Batistuta87

We need someone with experience in the centre of our defence. Balogun would be ideal on a 1 year deal - tons of experience and solid as a rock. Just do it.

Watt-Zeefuik
36 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

That was the joke. Sorry I didn't quite follow the form of the quoted post, or maybe it would have been a bit more obvious.

jamboinglasgow
9 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Here’s hoping. And I know we’ve had signings only days after first being murmured. But I’m having doubts in all honesty.

Its natural, we are in the dark on whats happening behind the scenes. Hearts only let us know what they want us to know, and even then we dont know if its true or they are misleading us to protect their moves. The fear is always that silence means no progress.

I think for what we are aiming to do in the market, the last week or so will always be key. We want the best players we can get for our budget. So we are looking to target teams who are looking to move a player on but running out of time, or a player whose options are rapidly dwindling. This will mean many knock backs, but its persistence that you need.

Just think of Simms, was thinking how did we manage to get him in January when you would have thought a Championship would be looking to get him. But it could well be a case that we got in at the right time and Championship clubs were slow. Sadly that also meant when it came to this summer, the Championship clubs were not going to miss out this time so we lost out. 

22 minutes ago, Hood09 said:

Now Is the time to be putting distance between us and everyone else in the league and we seem to be flapping. 

We conceded a goal in the 95th minute to stop.us going 9 pts out of 9 . Hardly flapping 

5 minutes ago, ramrod said:

We conceded a goal in the 95th minute to stop.us going 9 pts out of 9 . Hardly flapping 

If he supported Hearts he would know this.

16 minutes ago, Holtie said:

We need someone with experience in the centre of our defence. Balogun would be ideal on a 1 year deal - tons of experience and solid as a rock. Just do it.

Might be a good shout, I thought he was left footed by transfermarkt has him as right footed. 

1 hour ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Andrew McKinley and James Anderson run the show now, or am I mistaken?

Anne Budge still Chairs the Board.  Anderson sits on the Board as a non-Executive Director, so will have input to policymaking and strategic planning etc.  He's not employed by Hearts, but acts more in an independent advisory capacity.

McKinley is CEO, so in overall charge of day to day running of the club and responsible for implementing the Board's strategy and polices etc.  The Board will set the overall budget, McKinlay will operate within that budget.  

Mind a week or so ago a poster spoke to Joe in club shop said hoping to sign 2 to 3, then Joe corrected himself said they will sign....seems ages ago.

1 minute ago, Turkishcap said:

Mind a week or so ago a poster spoke to Joe in club shop said hoping to sign 2 to 3, then Joe corrected himself said they will sign....seems ages ago.

It gets worse knowing that we NEED to make signings too. Cover badly needed in defence and some general 1st team ready quality is needed too in midfield and attack. 

FarmerTweedy
34 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

That was the joke. Sorry I didn't quite follow the form of the quoted post, or maybe it would have been a bit more obvious.

I thought it was completely obvious myself! 

35 minutes ago, Holtie said:

Leaving country has had a few offers...

Michael Hector could be a good one. Played for Aberdeen in 2014, released from Fulham, likely to have other offers, but assuming we can register him for Europe it could be an interesting pull for him. Think Sean Morrison was released by Cardiff, so he'd be another good option. 

Both likely outside our price range, but never know until you ask!

1 hour ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Watching the Norwich game on TV it’s given me a somewhat loose analogy here. They do the hard graft to get into the competition they really want (promotion from Championship to Premier League) much like we do with Europe. Yet when they get there, they just perform sub par and don’t take things to the next level to compete. I suspect, particularly if our quality doesn’t improve (along with more nuanced tactics), that whether it be Europa or Conference, we’re going to be the Norwich in the Premier League of European competition this year. Yes, that was loose, and yes I’m somewhat drunk.

I think the problem with the teams that get promoted from the championship isn't totally that they can't kick on in terms of the players they recruit. Rather it's they're unable to change the way they play football. The teams who win and possibly those that finish second tend to be the best footballing sides in the division.  They get promoted and still try to play the same style of football in the Premier League but don't have the players to compete against much more superior teams and as such get turned over regularly. The teams that get promoted via the play offs tend to be teams that have had to scrap for portions of the season and have had to on occasion sit back and defend well and when they get promoted they've already got a style of play that is more suited to picking up points against much better teams whereas the others aren't able to adapt to not being the best teams in the league. I wonder how the fans if those teams would feel if once they were promoted they didn't go out and try to buy better attacking players but rather tried to tighten up their defence and solidify their midfield. Would they accept this or would they rather try and continue to play expansive football despite the stiffer competition??

August Landmesser
1 hour ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Just don’t want us to finally get to the holy land only to bundle from one defeat to the other. Will be a wee bit soul destroying. Too soon after Scotland at Euro 2020 and then the failed WC qualifier…

I also reckon once we get to Europa groups, and the draw is made, we'll have a points target. Something around 3-5 (maybe even more with an 'easy' group). 

On a personal note, Scotland results barely register with me these days, so I have a deep reservoir of resilience stored up for the pumpings to come!

Dick Dastardly
11 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

???

Not the first time I've fired up a big list. Only showing what's available - which is exactly what I was doing when I found/suggested Beni! 

I love reading your research.  It's not as if you claim to be itk or anything.  Keep it up!  Cheers 🥂 

2 hours ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Andrew McKinley and James Anderson run the show now, or am I mistaken?

Yes but that doesn't matter to the Mad Budge brigade 

1 hour ago, Led Tasso said:

😂 Aye that's about right 

1 hour ago, The Treasurer said:

He is talking about that particular thread where folk will attack Neilson for one thing but, if he does the thing he wants, also attack him for that, highlighting that for some some on here, Neilson just can't win.

Last season was a prime example, within a week he had smashed Hibs, denied them top 6, guaranteed European football for us and then..smashed them at Home, guaranteeing 8 games in Europe this year...and yet some were still not satisfied, on fact some were saying if we didn't win the final he should go, batshit levels of anti-Robbie nonsense 

Dick Dastardly
11 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

???

Not the first time I've fired up a big list. Only showing what's available - which is exactly what I was doing when I found/suggested Beni! 

I love reading your research.  It's not as if you claim to be itk or anything.  Keep it up!  Cheers 🥂 

1 hour ago, Led Tasso said:

Nah I got it, you were on the flow 👍

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Batistuta87 said:

Scrap that idea then 😂

Although Simms had some amazing numbers in EPL2 and we were allowed to loan him 🤷🏻‍♂️

Our Sheffield Wednesday lad mentioned George Hirst, also scored twice tonight for Leicester 21s, Sam Bellis a couple for Soton 21s.

Must be a stack of players, convincing the club to loan is the thing. Delap to Stoke was a surprise until I saw his father is there. 

However we want to own players, so difficult on a purgatory type budget

13 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Cheers DD. 

Edited by Batistuta87

4 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Our Sheffield Wednesday lad mentioned George Hirst, also scored twice tonight for Leicester 21s, Sam Bellis a couple for Soton 21s.

Must be a stack of players, convincing the club to loan is the thing. Delap to Stoke was a surprise until I saw his father is there. 

However we want to own players, so difficult on a purgatory type budget

Saw him earlier when I was digging around and yeah he would be a great shout. Lots of stories linking him to Championship sides on loan though. 

Dozens of players out there. It's just finding the right one who fancies coming up here and whose club will allow him, and that we can afford an appropriate contribution to their wage. 

Graham Thomson

A couple of quality loan players would be a help if we are struggling to get certain players signed.

European football must surely be a plus to clubs willing to let some young talent out on loan.

We have known since the spring we had European football in the bag, you should never put all your eggs in one basket......

On a last note, with the players we have, we must play 4 at the back, Neilson and his coaches must see that.

9 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

If he supported Hearts he would know this.

Been to all three games chief, would you honestly say we have been decent ?

Ross county we were woefull and lucky not to be down by a few at half time. 

hibs we never killed the game off, we basically shat the bed As we don’t believe in ourselves as we lack quality all over and rely on a couple of individuals to make something happen. 

Dundee united / great start but we didn’t smell blood and go for it. Took till second half to then ramp up / why?’once we had we showed we are better.

Zurich - we should have went for it after the penalty as they were worried. We didn’t though as the team were nervous as we lack quality and when Halkett went off we did not feel comfortable. 

we need reinforcements and it’s about putting distance between us and everyone else.  This is what I donate to FOH for, it’s why we all get behind the team yet we again seem To be shitting the bed to go for the kill.

we have a real chance to cement ourselves as the proper dominate third force and we should be taking it!

2 hours ago, Graham Thomson said:

European football must surely be a plus to clubs willing to let some young talent out on loan.

I wouldn't be so sure.  If you look at our loan players from last season, only one came from a club with European football (Woodburn) and probably only because he was on his way out.  Simms is the only one who had/has a slim chance of making it at his club and they sent him to the Championship this season. 

I suppose it can't hurt to have European football, but the players we get on loan are so far off being an EPL player that plays European football, that it can't be much of a priority for the English clubs.

Think it obvious that Europa league or the Conference league is going to determine our budge. We will sign players , Europa will give us the cash to go that bit further. 

BackOfTheNet

European football will be an incentive for the player, no doubt. But games against teams they’ve never heard of or games against Man Utd or Inter will have a difference. To the players and their agents. If we’re talking loans though, just like teams are not keen to loan players who’ll be facing a relegation battle sometimes, likewise they’ll not be keen to loan a player to a team that will travel around Europe getting pumped with a whimper. So that needs to be considered too.

Clerry Jambo
33 minutes ago, Hood09 said:

hibs we never killed the game off, we basically shat the bed As we don’t believe in ourselves as we lack quality all over and rely on a couple of individuals to make something happen. 

Dundee united / great start but we didn’t smell blood and go for it. Took till second half to then ramp up / why?’once we had we showed we are better.

Zurich - we should have went for it after the penalty as they were worried. We didn’t though as the team were nervous as we lack quality and when Halkett went off we did not feel comfortable. 

we need reinforcements and it’s about putting distance between us and everyone else.  This is what I donate to FOH for, it’s why we all get behind the team yet we again seem To be shitting the bed to go for the kill.

we have a real chance to cement ourselves as the proper dominate third force and we should be taking it!

Spot on

Gordon Ramsay
34 minutes ago, Hood09 said:

Spot on. 

The opportunity is there and we need to take it. 

Really hoping for some proper quality additions before the window shuts. 

17 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

European football will be an incentive for the player, no doubt. But games against teams they’ve never heard of or games against Man Utd or Inter will have a difference. To the players and their agents. If we’re talking loans though, just like teams are not keen to loan players who’ll be facing a relegation battle sometimes, likewise they’ll not be keen to loan a player to a team that will travel around Europe getting pumped with a whimper. So that needs to be considered too.

For clubs with players available for loan, esp young players, the level we will be playing at is great for their development and footballing education. Indeed for most of our current squad Europa League/Conf league this season may well turn out to be peak career season in terms of the level they will be playing at. I’d have thought English Orem clubs would be pretty keen for their top young prospects to get a taste of high level European football as well as challenging for cups in Scotland. 

1 minute ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Why not? It's only 6 games and peppers some big game experience into a season where we'll be expected to win most weeks.

It might influence a player's decision, but I don't think we're waiting to see which competition we're in. I think we're waiting on specific targets committing or clubs releasing players on loan. Like most windows, that often happens in the last few days.

BackOfTheNet
7 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

For clubs with players available for loan, esp young players, the level we will be playing at is great for their development and footballing education. Indeed for most of our current squad Europa League/Conf league this season may well turn out to be peak career season in terms of the level they will be playing at. I’d have thought English Orem clubs would be pretty keen for their top young prospects to get a taste of high level European football as well as challenging for cups in Scotland. 

7 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

Why not? It's only 6 games and peppers some big game experience into a season where we'll be expected to win most weeks.

It might influence a player's decision, but I don't think we're waiting to see which competition we're in. I think we're waiting on specific targets committing or clubs releasing players on loan. Like most windows, that often happens in the last few days.

As I say, it’s definitely appealing to players and agents. But clubs might feel it will be to the player’s detriment. For example, if a team wants their young prospect to stay in England and go to a Championship club because (rightly or wrongly) they think that’s a higher standard of football, then European football experience may swing the pendulum back in our favour. However, if the team determine we’ll perform in Europe as well as we do away in Glasgow, they may find that the European stint could be to the player’s detriment in terms of confidence. And let’s be honest, there’s every chance we’ll fly around Europe week after week performing like we do in Glasgow.

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***