*** The official Heart of Midlothian vs Dundee FC Wednesday 09/02/2022 KO 7:45***

Scott980612

54 minutes ago, martoon said:

Admittedly, tictacs aren't my strong point but I'd like to see Gino upfront with Simms vs. Livingston. 

The latter did very well vs. Motherwell and the Simms/Boyce partnership doesn't work.

Things have gone a bit stale and could do with freshening up.

A defeat and our decent season becomes a real downer.

81U5iVB4w0L._AC_SY679_.jpg

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Harry Potter

• Taffin

Gordon

Smith (Sibbick)

Souttar

Kingsley

Atkinson

Devlin (Haring)

Baningime 

Cochrane

McKay (Woodburn)

Ginnelly (Boyce)

Simms

() Subs.

I'm starting to feel playing with wing backs and wingers at Tynecastle isn't all that, the wing backs should be the wingers. And playing with two up top with one of them a winger is utter pointless.

We've too many people out wide for a team with nothing coming from central midfield. We need two up top and with McKay in the centre, things can happen.

Hibs done well finding Boyle at every opportunity. We need to find Barrie McKay and give him options. Sure, sometimes he can be pish, but we have plenty time to change it if he's on an off day.

8 minutes ago, martoon said:

😄

The "tictacs" was deliberate but not the freshening up bit.

Yeah, I say the same myself sometimes.   Tactics for tictacs. 

Gino up front as a forward would be more productive than a winger since his crossing is exactly shit.   Boyce is a frustrating player to watch.   He's a leader as well ☹️.    He has experience.   That makes it more infuriating to watch his poor form. 

Moore, Souttar, Kingsley, Sibbick, Halliday, Beni & Haring all in the team against Dundee?  Boyce either deep or on left wing?  We would be better going 4-5-1 with 2 x natural wide players and an attacking midfielder to support either Boyce or Simms.  

13 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

It's down to bad squad depth we lost according to some on here. 

So Savage has done a shit job recruitment wise, and we don't have the best squad available to us in years. 

It's down to our squad not being used sensibly, either as first choice or subs.

20 hours ago, Agentjambo said:

The front 3 have to press as a 3,as one unit.They don’t do that…Boyce can’t press as he’s not got a quick burst of speed.

Disagree with that mate, I think boyces pressing is all under instruction. 

I don't believe for a second he doesn't follow instruction. 

3 hours ago, chrystaf said:

It's down to our squad not being used sensibly, either as first choice or subs.

Apart from Rangers and Celtic, who has a better squad than us? 

Have i lost the plot or something? 

17 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Disagree with that mate, I think boyces pressing is all under instruction. 

I don't believe for a second he doesn't follow instruction. 

I’m not saying he isn’t instructed to press I’m saying he’s not very good at it

6 hours ago, Smith&Weston said:

Moore, Souttar, Kingsley, Sibbick, Halliday, Beni & Haring all in the team against Dundee?  Boyce either deep or on left wing?  We would be better going 4-5-1 with 2 x natural wide players and an attacking midfielder to support either Boyce or Simms.  

If you find yourself in the situation where Taylor Moore and Andy Halliday are your two wing backs then you shouldn't play a formation that uses wing backs. It's really that simple.

34 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

If you find yourself in the situation where Taylor Moore and Andy Halliday are your two wing backs then you shouldn't play a formation that uses wing backs. It's really that simple.

Got in one.

1 hour ago, Bongo 1874 said:

if that’s true you would think we would be third. 🤷‍♂️

I just watched the end of the Alba highlights, injury time.   I noticed Fontaine used his arm to control the ball in  his box from Kingsleys' shot.  Hard to see it but it does hit part of his upper arm making the ball bounce straight down.  

Apart from some shit referee decisions we should be scoring from very good opportunities. 

14 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

if that’s true you would think we would be third. 🤷‍♂️

You're absolutely spot on dave 👍 do i feel Neilson is harshly criticised at times yes, have i criticised him yes i 100% hold my hands up. 

We are third and Neilson has done a fantastic job in regards too that, he gets my full praise for that 👍

Were I think fans get frustrated / annoyed is his approach during certain games and tactics. 

Unfortunately for a lot of fans they will never be able to forgive Robbie, for his money spinner comment, and ultimately Hibs going on to win the cup during his time at club. 

Also others results during time at Hearts. 

What i would say Robbie's home record is solid he wins matches we get that, but i think we can agree he's been backed really well compared to say other managers we had, not mentioning any names but i reckon you know who i mean. 

I think the squad is genuinely confused at times during games as to what is required. 

Were as if you look at Rangers and Celtic, they have a very clear way on how they play, what to expect of players etc attacking football pressing high. 

Our approach changes game to game, sometimes in football just doing the simple things work. 

These are to me work hard, and leave everything on that pitch, I think if the player's give that we can't as supporters ask for much more, regardless if the teams wins, loses, or draws. 

Now just to put into context Wednesday's game great 1st half could of been 2-3 up, second half well the least said the better ultimately a game lasts 90mins.

14 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Ok calmed down a bit and here's my thoughts for what they are worth. We have a manager and coaching staff of defenders, this has caused us to be light weight in attacking mids and strikers, therefore a lack of movement/players waiting for a forward pass. Last night we played more in our own half than in theirs, once again pitty pattying around with absolutely no penetration.  Boyce was in our box more than in theirs and he does well enough but he can't make a quick decision or run fast enough to get into an attacking position from our own half. He had a perfect pass into the box after their keeper palmed it out to his right but decided to try and beat the man, a perfect scoring chance lost. Beni was too slow and made too many backward passes and Haring was a bomb scare. I was just starting to think I was wrong about Robbie and while he is not the only one to blame he is ultimately responsible for picking the team and tactics. We once again went with one up front ( Boyce was never there ) against a team at the bottom who we knew would fight for every ball. They had a couple of good saves and a lucky clearance and that took the wind out of our sails along with their fighting spirit. IF Robbie ( or anyone else ) for that matter thinks Livi will be a push over they are wrong and he has to get it right and fast.

I've been thinking this as well. Robbie as a player has always understood the defense and the midfield play. His teams are (when healthy) hard to beat at the back and hold a lot of possession.

He doesn't have it in his locker to understand what it takes to break down a defence and produce a bit of magic or verve that leads to a goal. He has to hope that the squad can figure it out on their own.

I wonder if having Naismith in the dugout on Saturdays would help.

7 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

You're absolutely spot on dave 👍 do i feel Neilson is harshly criticised at times yes, have i criticised him yes i 100% hold my hands up. 

We are third and Neilson has done a fantastic job in regards too that, he gets my full praise for that 👍

Were I think fans get frustrated / annoyed is his approach during certain games and tactics. 

Unfortunately for a lot of fans they will never be able to forgive Robbie, for his money spinner comment, and ultimately Hibs going on to win the cup during his time at club. 

What i would say Robbie's home record is solid he wins matches we get that, but i think we can agree he's been backed really well compared to say other managers we had, not mentioning any names but i reckon you know who i mean. 

I think the squad is genuinely confused at times during games as to what is required. 

Were as if you look at Rangers and Celtic, they have a very clear way on how they play, what to expect of players etc attacking football pressing high. 

Our approach changes game to game, sometimes in football just doing the simple things work. 

These are to me work hard, and leave everything on that pitch, I think if the player's give that we can't as supporters ask for much more, regardless if the teams wins, loses, or draws. 

Now just to put into context Wednesday's game great 1st half could of been 2-3 up, second half well the least said the better ultimately a game lasts 90mins.

I think I agree with the thrust of this post. I don't agree with all of the details and opinions, but mostly I think it's fair. I think most people were surprised at how much better we have done than expected this season. I think that is down to the level of player we now have improving on last season. What that tells me, is that Neilson is a more than capable head coach who will get what you would expect him to from the resources available. I think if he gets us group stages European football, then we will see another jump in the quality of our squad, and Neilson will have them performing to the sort of level you would expect from players of that quality. That might not excite every supporter, but I'm pretty happy with that. Could we find a head coach who would get those players playing above themselves? Yes. Would it be guaranteed to turn out that way if we dumped Neilson and appointed someone else? No. I think we should stick with Neilson for as long as the team is improving.

Bazzas right boot
11 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Atm, nobody. 

The league table proves this. 

I personally do not think the squad is as strong as many think, especially when we lose experience ie Halkett, Smith and Souttar. 

We're a young team with many players  new to scotland and playing the most football they have ever played. 

I'm not sure you had us for 3rd pre season tho, so you are using hindsight to appraise the squad. 

Edited by Bazzas right boot

Bazzas right boot
8 hours ago, HMFC01 said:

I just watched the end of the Alba highlights, injury time.   I noticed Fontaine used his arm to control the ball in  his box from Kingsleys' shot.  Hard to see it but it does hit part of his upper arm making the ball bounce straight down.  

Apart from some shit referee decisions we should be scoring from very good opportunities. 

Yip, we should have went 2-0 up. 

Bazzas right boot
10 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

Fair. 

Although I think Haliday is OK there. Gets a lot of unfair criticism imo. 

Moore looks like a CB 

Chucked out wide. 

8 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Good post Bongo, I agree with most of it.   Yer the money spinner comment and then Rangers capitulating in the final turned many against him.  It would be a travesty though if that one comment and another football match resulted in his demise at Hearts when we are clearly making progress on the pitch. 

Re the  moneyspinner comment it clearly wasn’t enough on its own to turn folks and I suspect it’s really just the wee teams cup win that sticks in folks throats. Otherwise there would not be as many wanting Neil in as his replacement given his comments after our defeat at Ibrox. 

Quite frankly the second half on a Wednesday was as poor as I have seen us for some considerable time.  We run out of ideas.  Playing against what is really a bottom side who actually mustered very little we were the architects of our own downfall. I’m hoping for a reaction this Saturday.

On 10/02/2022 at 09:22, iwasthere1954 said:

I think the word"injured" covers many scenarios 😁

what the **** are you talking about

iwasthere1954
16 hours ago, Factuer Moi said:

what the **** are you talking about

You know what I'm talking about. Why wasn't he selected for the cup tie or the game against the Huns. You genuinely think he was injured. I thought you as a self proclaimed intelligentsia would have worked that one out. Oh and what's the aggressive reply about.

1 hour ago, iwasthere1954 said:

You know what I'm talking about. Why wasn't he selected for the cup tie or the game against the Huns. You genuinely think he was injured. I thought you as a self proclaimed intelligentsia would have worked that one out. Oh and what's the aggressive reply about.

You should pop into Riccarton ask him yourself. any issue do something about it, 

Bazzas right boot
On 11/02/2022 at 09:40, Deevers said:

Quite frankly the second half on a Wednesday was as poor as I have seen us for some considerable time.  We run out of ideas.  Playing against what is really a bottom side who actually mustered very little we were the architects of our own downfall. I’m hoping for a reaction this Saturday.

It was at least on par with  the second half v Rangers a few days before, where we conceded 4 goals in a half. 

Folk must have memory resets every few days in here. 

Picked up off Twitter.  What it tells me is that we'd better not get complacent about our hold on 3rd place in the league:

Form in first 13 matches

6 won
6 drew
1 lost

24 points

23 goals for
12 goals conceded

Form in last 13 matches 

6 won
1 drew
6 lost

19 points