The 'Battle' for 3rd ( merged )

Waterboy

17 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

I put our downturn to the game prior to Rangers... IIRC we lost 3 first team defenders and have struggled ever since. Even on Saturday we were without Gordon, Beni and Boyce... add Halkett and Smith to that - it's half the first team squad that got us to 3rd. And it's not just losing these players (because we should have a good enough squad to fill the gaps)... but you lose cohesion on the park. I'm not RNs biggest fan (and he's done a decent job this season), but coming back from the winter break, we've not had the best luck regarding injuries.

That said what we have been poor (and I'm aware that other clubs have injury problems)... but hopefully, on Saturday, we get a couple of players back and push on. I still believe we'll get 3rd especially if we get a win at St Liedown.

I agree we’ve had injury issues. But that’s why we build a squad, and perhaps improper rotation can be part of that responsibility. I mentioned before when certain players were being slaughtered on here that we can’t expect players to come in after not playing any minutes for weeks and be outstanding. While other players who I don’t want even in the match day squad starting or coming off the bench most weeks. And we just have to look at St. Johnstone’s absence list on Saturday to see they would have had the same cohesion issues. But cohesion is definitely an issue that any squad faces, when they have to bring players in they wouldn’t otherwise do so.

The downturn is a peculiar one. Some day it’s because Halkett is out (this is a strong claim), some say the new players coming in have affected us negatively (this is less strong as a claim, but does go to the cohesion argument) and some say it all started with the Souttar stuff, and even though his performances have been decent, the overall atmosphere and mentality at the club has been affected (would like more anecdotal evidence of this before subscribing to that as a theory).

Long and short though, injuries or no, we should have beaten a Hibs team on a crap run of form, we should never have shipped 5 goals to Rangers, we should have beaten the bottom team in Dundee, we shouldn’t have needed penalties to beat Livingston and we should’ve beaten an injury riddled bottom team of the league St. Johnstone. Is it the issue raised above? Is it tactics? Is it lack of motivation? Is it having the talent coached out of them like we had under Levein? I don’t know. All I know is it’s not been good enough and I’m not getting any indication we’re going to turn a corner any time soon.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Waterboy

• soonbe110

• Watt-Zeefuik

17 minutes ago, VagabondJambo said:

Two outstanding posts!  This is how I see it, and describes my passion, AND ambition, as a Hearts supporter.

And I also totally agree with the post by hearts00 about performances, which you commented on.

👍

5 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I agree we’ve had injury issues. But that’s why we build a squad, and perhaps improper rotation can be part of that responsibility. I mentioned before when certain players were being slaughtered on here that we can’t expect players to come in after not playing any minutes for weeks and be outstanding. While other players who I don’t want even in the match day squad starting or coming off the bench most weeks. And we just have to look at St. Johnstone’s absence list on Saturday to see they would have had the same cohesion issues. But cohesion is definitely an issue that any squad faces, when they have to bring players in they wouldn’t otherwise do so.

The downturn is a peculiar one. Some day it’s because Halkett is out (this is a strong claim), some say the new players coming in have affected us negatively (this is less strong as a claim, but does go to the cohesion argument) and some say it all started with the Souttar stuff, and even though his performances have been decent, the overall atmosphere and mentality at the club has been affected (would like more anecdotal evidence of this before subscribing to that as a theory).

Long and short though, injuries or no, we should have beaten a Hibs team on a crap run of form, we should never have shipped 5 goals to Rangers, we should have beaten the bottom team in Dundee, we shouldn’t have needed penalties to beat Livingston and we should’ve beaten an injury riddled bottom team of the league St. Johnstone. Is it the issue raised above? Is it tactics? Is it lack of motivation? Is it having the talent coached out of them like we had under Levein? I don’t know. All I know is it’s not been good enough and I’m not getting any indication we’re going to turn a corner any time soon.

Can't disagree with anything there mate... and I don't have an answer either, unfortunately. I just feel our form has coincided with a few factors (as you mention above)... but agree that we should have enough to deal with it. After a couple of performances of the like we've just had, I would hope our manager would tear a strip off some in the dressing room... I just can't see Robbie doing that... maybe that's what's required 🤷‍♂️, someone that would scream at them about what's required to play for a maroon shirt - granted, it's a bit old school, but our play doesn't seem to have any urgency about it. 

I do feel we're one decent performance away from getting out 'mojo' back (I've nothing more than a hunch to base this on)... but it better happen quick. From where I'm standing, it's not just a RN problem, the players have to stand up also... maybe this is where having a 'few' loans doesn't help. Players with one eye on returning to their parent club, as opposed to playing for their place. Who knows.

32 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Can't disagree with anything there mate... and I don't have an answer either, unfortunately. I just feel our form has coincided with a few factors (as you mention above)... but agree that we should have enough to deal with it. After a couple of performances of the like we've just had, I would hope our manager would tear a strip off some in the dressing room... I just can't see Robbie doing that... maybe that's what's required 🤷‍♂️, someone that would scream at them about what's required to play for a maroon shirt - granted, it's a bit old school, but our play doesn't seem to have any urgency about it. 

I do feel we're one decent performance away from getting out 'mojo' back (I've nothing more than a hunch to base this on)... but it better happen quick. From where I'm standing, it's not just a RN problem, the players have to stand up also... maybe this is where having a 'few' loans doesn't help. Players with one eye on returning to their parent club, as opposed to playing for their place. Who knows.

I can’t see him tearing it up, I also can’t see him being the arm around you type either. Which is maybe the problem. Sometimes managers rely on coaching staff to look after certain personalities, but I can’t see Forrest doing that and McCulloch just looks like he can’t be taken seriously in all honesty. I did find it curious that Naismith did seem to be in the dugout for the first part of the season in many games, but hasn’t been seen for a while. He seems like someone who takes the time to speak to every individual.

We also don’t seem to have fiery players in the dressing room (Devlin, maybe) that can rally the troops. Gordon is an amazing player, but doesn’t look like he’d be whipping up the heart rate with pep talks. I dunno, I think the management staff are relying on the likes of Halliday and Stewart for ‘the bantz’ to keep the atmosphere up, but when we have bad results or things like negativity like we had around the Souttar to Rangers nonsense, we don’t seem to have a rallying character in the playing or coaching staff. Pure speculation and conjecture on my part of course, I have just as much insight as any fan, but that’s how it comes across.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, lost in space said:

So should we just continue as we are playing to get us out of this "dip in form"?  Continue with the same tactics / continue with the same negativity/ continue with the same "possession without progression"/ continue to not get players into goal scoring positions? continue with the eye bleeding boredom?

Will that get us to an unassailable lead?

Nah, we should sack everyone. 

That will guarantee 3rd, not only this season but next as well. 

Look at the fixture list for Hearts, 4th, 5th and 6th between now and the top 6 split. All four teams pretty much play other, so there will probably be points dropped all 4 teams. After the split, everyone plays each other once more with more points to be lost or gained. You can never say never in football but really, what’s the likelihood of Hearts losing more than 3 games and all the others winning all their matches?

Ex member of the SaS

If we are still third ( even by one point ) at the end of the season I will be delighted. But why have a nail biting end when we could and should be walking it. Said before, the sooner we confirm third the better, as it will allow fringe and youth to get a go. By bring in the fringe players it means that when we need them to step in as a sub they are already up to speed. It's clear right now that Devlin and Ginnelly are being thrown on with little or no match fitness and when it's already too late and Robbie expects them to dig us out a hole.

As things are, with this dip in form, I can't see where wins are coming from ( never mind even a goal ) and I have no faith that Robbie and the rest can motivate the players to dig in and get us out of the slump. Unless Robbie is willing to admit ( even to himself ) his tactics and team selections have been dire then nothing will change. It needs a fundamental change in the way we play and who plays. Something I can't see either.

Is there anyone ( even a happy clapper ) that can point me in the direction of how we will win or score the way the team is being run at this time.

Edited by Ex member of the SaS

Agree with all the recent observations about what has possibly gone wrong and unsure about how to turn it around. IMO it's about getting back to basics. Firstly a massive upsurge in effort and thought has to go into our training sessions. Arguably the players are good enough in themselves but lately there's evidence of lack of speed of thought or movement. Coaching sessions have to concentrate on getting us mentally and physically sharper.

Secondly management must simplify the instructions to the players . They are being blinded by science and are having their natural abilities schooled out of them. The players have to be encouraged to express the skills that prompted us to bring them to the club in the first place. Players performance will improve if they're allowed to do what they're naturally good at and not subjected to a level of brainwash that breeds overcaution and negativity on the pitch.

We've been lucky that our dip in form has not coincided with teams below us drastically closing the gap but we can't have reliance on luck anymore. If our players are fitter and sharper I'd hope that would help to make a difference.

14 hours ago, davie1980 said:

Those methods took us to that near unassailable lead of which you speak.

It's a dip in form combined with some new players bedding in and a few injuries

And good fortune that the teams below us are poor and take points off each other, with no club able to remotely put together any sort of positive run/sequence. Only needs just one team to get a run going.......mind you - why not us again ?

Folk talking lack of progress - Since the SPFL became whole again (eg since the Govan Scum came back into the division) we had a 5 year plan in place - and AB stated that the minimum we would be looking at was 4th place each year. ...We finished the following seasons in 5th/6th/6th/Last (relegated)/Top of lower division......that is/was abject Failure !! But since returning to the so called bigtime (a certain person having their footballing input greatly reduced over the last 18/20 months) we have indeed progressed - to a place where we all know we (yes-arrogantly) should be. Best of the rest ! BUT - RN needs to have flexible game plans so that if "it's" not working then we rumble things up by well thought out change. It's no coincidence that on numerous occassions this term, we have been outplayed by the bigger teams in first halves yet are able to in turn outplay them in the second periods......he needs to learn from what we do wrong earlier in games and what he does to vastly improve matters in second halves. It's all there - just needs fine tuned. (away from home we lack oomph/confidence - we don't need to - we've usually simply got the better players) 

31 minutes ago, Jumper said:

Look at the fixture list for Hearts, 4th, 5th and 6th between now and the top 6 split. All four teams pretty much play other, so there will probably be points dropped all 4 teams. After the split, everyone plays each other once more with more points to be lost or gained. You can never say never in football but really, what’s the likelihood of Hearts losing more than 3 games and all the others winning all their matches?

Impossible to say.

We have three homes games ( sheep, Livi hibs ) and three away ( St Mirren, Dundee Utd, Ross Co ) so it's conceivable we could lose three before the split, never mind to the end of the season, if we don't get out this rut !

lost in space
1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Nah, we should sack everyone. 

That will guarantee 3rd, not only this season but next as well. 

Yes, that could work.

Alternatively, the manager (who has eventually recognised slump/dip) could actually do something about it. Something radical perhaps, like trying to score more than just 1 goal per game?

Naaaaaaaaah.

Bazzas right boot
Just now, lost in space said:

Yes, that could work.

Alternatively, the manager (who has eventually recognised slump/dip) could actually do something about it. Something radical perhaps, like trying to score more than just 1 goal per game?

Naaaaaaaaah.

Score more than 1 or concede less than 1.

Ive cracked it. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Boab said:

Impossible to say.

We have three homes games ( sheep, Livi hibs ) and three away ( St Mirren, Dundee Utd, Ross Co ) so it's conceivable we could lose three before the split, never mind to the end of the season, if we don't get out this rut !

We'll be lucky to win a game ever again Tbh. 

Turgid football-worst in the league, shite manager, shite defence, shite attack, midfield that combust when in the final 3rd and our best outfield player is a hun *******. 

It's all shite. 

Edited by Bazzas right boot

lost in space
1 minute ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Score more than 1 or concede less than 1.

Ive cracked it. 

I know your comment is not meant to be too serious but unfortunately, Levein and Neilsons view has always been - score 1 goal and don't make defensive mistakes.

They never accepted that no team in the world could stop defensive mistakes.

I hope that Neilson can change the overly negative tactics - he must if we are to get 3rd.

On 20/02/2022 at 10:16, davemclaren said:

If Savage is the man everyone thinks he is then surely that’s some evidence that the board are football savvy in some measure? 🤷‍♂️

Same board that ruthlessly dispensed with Stendel and installed a manager chosen to get us back up at the first attempt. Something neither Hibs or Rangers managed last time out. 

No board with business savvy, nevermind football savvy (which is bullshit anyway, their job is to hire the right incumbents and assess their performance against stated KPIs) will sack the manager of a team sitting 3rd, QF of the Cup after being promoted back. 

14 hours ago, hearts00 said:

The reason the fans are so angry though is that the performances have not been good for months.

Nope, thats not wholly true. That's the reason why some fans are angry. 

The reason why the usual suspects are pretending to be angry on this and many other threads is because they don't like Robbie and because they're utter cretins. 😊

Interesting looking back at the gap throughout the season.

Over the opening 16 rounds of the season the gap hovered around the 0-3 points mark. Round 17 it increased to 5 for a few rounds then we hit that excellent run from rounds 19-23 where we increased the gap to 10 points. Even with our poorest run of the season we have only give back 1 of these points making the gap 9 points.

With six rounds to go to the split our rivals would need to considerably up their game even if we don’t put a single point on the board. By comparison Motherwell have taken 3 points from their previous 6 matches, Hibs 5, Aberdeen 4 and all credit to Dundee Utd they have taken 9 but needed every single one of them just to get back in the ‘race’.

I don’t expect it to be pretty as we approach the finish line but our rivals have left themselves so much to do just to catch us.

Looking at the fixtures, we've got 6 games before the split - none of them against the OF.  

St. Mirren     (A)

Aberdeen     (H)

Dundee U    (A)

Livi               (H)

Ross  Co     (A)

Hibs             (H)

Of our  5 challengers for 3rd (Hibs, Aberdeen, Motherwell, Dundee U and St. Mirren), 4 of them have still to play one of the OF before the split.  There's  also 5 fixtures where they play "each other".

I think we need to make the most of the pre-split fixtures therefore.  Especially getting wins on the board. 

We've  seldom taken more than 4 points post-split. Our challengers are unlikely to do much better.

Even if only get   2 wins &  2 draws pre-split that  would put us on 51 points.    in that scenario, are any of our challengers (currently 9 behind)  likely to take  more than 12 points  from their 6 pre-split games ? 

15 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

Interesting looking back at the gap throughout the season.

Over the opening 16 rounds of the season the gap hovered around the 0-3 points mark. Round 17 it increased to 5 for a few rounds then we hit that excellent run from rounds 19-23 where we increased the gap to 10 points. Even with our poorest run of the season we have only give back 1 of these points making the gap 9 points.

With six rounds to go to the split our rivals would need to considerably up their game even if we don’t put a single point on the board. By comparison Motherwell have taken 3 points from their previous 6 matches, Hibs 5, Aberdeen 4 and all credit to Dundee Utd they have taken 9 but needed every single one of them just to get back in the ‘race’.

I don’t expect it to be pretty as we approach the finish line but our rivals have left themselves so much to do just to catch us.

It is incredible, so much outside luck going around. 

7 minutes ago, Factuer Moi said:

Not sure about luck. The league in general is incredibly tight. 7 points between 4th and 10th.

In general all the squads are easily comparable with each other and therefore balancing each other out. To be expected really rather than lucky.

We could argue that we are lucky having slightly better players (in my opinion) and are showing more consistency in general compared to the rest.

lost in space
35 minutes ago, Savage Vince said:

The reason why the usual suspects are pretending to be angry on this and many other threads is because they don't like Robbie and because they're utter cretins. 😊

I really dont think they are pretending!!

Some dont like Neilson. I think he is probably a very nice man - but I dont like his tactics. I think there were many, like me, who didnt like the tactics (eye bleeding etc) but were prepared to put up with it as we were 3rd.

Now that 3rd is in danger and the failing tactics have not changed, it is natural (IMO) that many fans voice their views on the changed circumstances.

Hearts fans who have different views than I have are not "utter cretins" - well mostly - and hopefully the emoji of yours, means you think the same.

1 minute ago, JamboGraham said:

Not sure about luck. The league in general is incredibly tight. 7 points between 4th and 10th.

In general all the squads are easily comparable with each other and therefore balancing each other out. To be expected really rather than lucky.

We could argue that we are lucky having slightly better players (in my opinion) and are showing more consistency in general compared to the rest.

The teams beneath Us haven't took a bite at any of the luck kicking around. Expected, i have issues with that word. Reeks of dog shit.

We have hit a bad patch but look at the other teams since our bad results motherwell were our closest rivals on 10 points now our closest clubs are 9 points behind

Ex member of the SaS

Why do we not get stuck in and tackle? This is a majour reason for losing goals. Tackle before they reach half way and certainly before the edge of our box. Stop them before they can put in a cross or shot. Earlier in the season we played the bigots and tackled and hassled every player who had the ball, now we back off and run backwards until they are right on top of us. There has to be a reason for this change in how we play. 8 defensive mids and hardly a tackle, something is not right.

4 minutes ago, Factuer Moi said:

The teams beneath Us haven't took a bite at any of the luck kicking around. Expected, i have issues with that word. Reeks of dog shit.

Not sure I fully understand your point. Luck alone might get you an odd point here and there via a fortunate goal, referee decision in your favour, etc. but over a season the better players will be more consistent and pick up more points.

I use the word expected simply due to reviewing the results of our rivals and you can see similar patterns repeating throughout their respective seasons so far.

Bazzas right boot
31 minutes ago, Factuer Moi said:

The teams are tight, no one is far better than another. 

I put us in there as well, we were never 15 +points better than the likes of Aberdeen etc. 

It's just tightening up. 

We do need a few results tho or it will become too much for many. 

Lots of folk not great under any  pressure. 

Not sure I fully understand your point. Luck alone might get you an odd point here and there via a fortunate goal, referee decision in your favour, etc. but over a season the better players will be more consistent and pick up more points.

I use the word expected simply due to reviewing the results of our rivals and you can see similar patterns repeating throughout their respective seasons so far.

If you haven't noticed, we have been throwing points away. Handing them out, those beneath us have yet to eat up that gap. Outside luck, given to us. Even though we have been total shite for the last 3 month. We have no need to compare, we have been riding that luck for ages. When we settle into a football side that wins games, we then get to shut the **** up about the obvious. 

lost in space
2 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Why do we not get stuck in and tackle? This is a majour reason for losing goals. Tackle before they reach half way and certainly before the edge of our box. Stop them before they can put in a cross or shot. Earlier in the season we played the bigots and tackled and hassled every player who had the ball, now we back off and run backwards until they are right on top of us. There has to be a reason for this change in how we play. 8 defensive mids and hardly a tackle, something is not right.

I think we only committed a very small amount of fouls in first half on Saturday (3 or 4 maybe) and only about 10 in the whole game. No yellow cards (unless I missed one).  Good, I suppose - we dont want to give away fouls or collect yellows - but as you say - something is not right.

4 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

The teams are tight, no one is far better than another. 

I put us in there as well, we were never 15 +points better than the likes of Aberdeen etc. 

It's just tightening up. 

We do need a few results tho or it will become too much for many. 

Lots of folk not great under any  pressure. 

It is deeper than just plain out of sight. The key to solve the issue is there, there isn't even a massive problem in our position. Three wins and we can shut it. I get it, the thing is we have not suffered due to the failings of others. Luckily for Us. That is what i am saying. 

Ex member of the SaS
1 minute ago, lost in space said:

I think we only committed a very small amount of fouls in first half on Saturday (3 or 4 maybe) and only about 10 in the whole game. No yellow cards (unless I missed one).  Good, I suppose - we dont want to give away fouls or collect yellows - but as you say - something is not right.

With the defensive players we have surely they can tackle without fouling. It's not JUST the tackling, though it's a big part it's the pointless keeping possession, we are not Barcelona and we certainly don't have the players for that style of play.

NextGenerationJambo
50 minutes ago, Savage Vince said:

Very admirable of you to speak on behalf of so many people, particularly when you don’t agree with their viewpoint. 

Robbie is disliked due to the insipid brand of “football” that he instils, as well as his utterly embarrassing performances in the so-called big games and the cups (our best chance of silverware).

We started the season superbly, and for that he deserves credit. However, he equally deserves credit for the uninspiring performances that we have been subject to since the new year. There is no drive, no passion, no excitement, no determination, no urgency, no creativity, no belief. They are his players, it’s his team and it’s his job to get them to perform - by any means necessary. 

I’m sure even the non-cretinous among us can’t argue with that. 

There are 3 teams 9 points behind with 33 points left to play for. Could so easily pish it down the drain if we continue and not even finish in the top 4 lose 3 games and one of these teams win 3 that's it. Need to give other players a chance like Pollock who is a creative player aswell and change this ****ing formation with 2 in midfield that's what's losing us all these games over and over Robbie is the only one who can't see this until half time every game at least but still won't change it. Just think if we get pipped to 3rd by Hibs. How much of a disaster would that be from where we were earlier in the season. I think that should see Robbie's fate out the door but doubt he will be sacked whatever he does. Even if it all goes to shit the excuse will be we just came up from the championship. Ready made excuses already there for the masses to chew on. Really hope this doesn't happen but is very possible if Hibs get going under wee Sean baloney

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

With the defensive players we have surely they can tackle without fouling. It's not JUST the tackling, though it's a big part it's the pointless keeping possession, we are not Barcelona and we certainly don't have the players for that style of play.

Barca are shite. 

Be lucky to make European football next season. 

Barca wish they were 3rd and 9 points clear. 

Ex member of the SaS
Just now, Bazzas right boot said:

Barca are shite. 

Be lucky to make European football next season. 

Barca wish they were 3rd and 9 points clear. 

Give it a rest eh?

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, NextGenerationJambo said:

Very admirable of you to speak on behalf of so many people, particularly when you don’t agree with their viewpoint. 

Robbie is disliked due to the insipid brand of “football” that he instils, as well as his utterly embarrassing performances in the so-called big games and the cups (our best chance of silverware).

We started the season superbly, and for that he deserves credit. However, he equally deserves credit for the uninspiring performances that we have been subject to since the new year. There is no drive, no passion, no excitement, no determination, no urgency, no creativity, no belief. They are his players, it’s his team and it’s his job to get them to perform - by any means necessary. 

I’m sure even the non-cretinous among us can’t argue with that. 

A load of shite. 

Well written tho. 

Ex member of the SaS
1 minute ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Ooft, you've got a cheek. 

At least I post constructive criticism you only post cr^p.

lost in space
Just now, Bazzas right boot said:

A load of shite. 

Well written tho. 

It is well written.

Can you explain WHY you think it is a "load of shite"?

What is not true about it?

4 minutes ago, Factuer Moi said:

If you haven't noticed, we have been throwing points away. Handing them out, those beneath us have yet to eat up that gap. Outside luck, given to us. Even though we have been total shite for the last 3 month. We have no need to compare, we have been riding that luck for ages. When we settle into a football side that wins games, we then get to shut the **** up about the obvious. 

I can see the point you are arguing but even taking the past 3 months we have won more points and more matches compared to Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, Hibs and Motherwell.

If you are arguing that all of these sides have been unlucky to record less wins and less points than us then of course I respect your view.

My view is that it simply confirms that relative to these sides we are better and therefore more consistent than them.

I would agree that with a bit of luck ourselves we could have and arguably should have been even further away from them but then again every side could easily make that claim.

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, lost in space said:

It is well written.

Can you explain WHY you think it is a "load of shite"?

What is not true about it?

Pretty much everything in it. 

I've already used  every football stat available on another thread to disprove the football claims. 

And ultimately, we are performing as we are 3rd.

So, in summary it's just well written pish. 

Edited by Bazzas right boot

Bazzas right boot

I can see the point you are arguing but even taking the past 3 months we have won more points and more matches compared to Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, Hibs and Motherwell.

If you are arguing that all of these sides have been unlucky to record less wins and less points than us then of course I respect your view.

My view is that it simply confirms that relative to these sides we are better and therefore more consistent than them.

I would agree that with a bit of luck ourselves we could have and arguably should have been even further away from them but then again every side could easily make that claim.

Another cracking post. 

3 minutes ago, daavojaay said:

There are 3 teams 9 points behind with 33 points left to play for. Could so easily pish it down the drain if we continue and not even finish in the top 4 lose 3 games and one of these teams win 3 that's it. Need to give other players a chance like Pollock who is a creative player aswell and change this ****ing formation with 2 in midfield that's what's losing us all these games over and over Robbie is the only one who can't see this until half time every game at least but still won't change it. Just think if we get pipped to 3rd by Hibs. How much of a disaster would that be from where we were earlier in the season. I think that should see Robbie's fate out the door but doubt he will be sacked whatever he does. Even if it all goes to shit the excuse will be we just came up from the championship. Ready made excuses already there for the masses to chew on. Really hope this doesn't happen but is very possible if Hibs get going under wee Sean baloney

The main issue in a competition is stamina. the prize is handed out at the end of the competition. The top two positions are nailed onto one or the other of the Old Knicker flashers.

The next level sits Heart Of Midlothian, who have been drifting along on the sails of a gap. Not good enough for the top two, No real push from the sides in the next 6 spots beneath the prized 3rd berth. Loss of form, injuries Covid. The curse of the pre season contract spoiling the squads bond, disrupting the plans. Caught out by our peers , lacking in like for like replacements to play the preferred 3-4-3. Still playing it even though there is no Halkett to implement it to its best. One of the main gripes i have is not playing a box to box attacking mid, or second striker in Aaron McEneff , removing any real threat from our wide players.  Plenty more to gripe about here. As yet we have not been caught due to the shiteness of the sides beneath Us. The bottom sides have been playing to survive , while we been sunning it on the top deck. 

lost in space
4 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Pretty much everything in it. 

I've already used  every football stat available on another thread to disprove the football claims. 

And ultimately, we are performing as we are 3rd.

So, in summary it's just well written pish. 

Come on SRB - "we are performing as we are 3rd".  Really??  The FACT is we were performing and are third is the truth.

Well done to Neilson for getting us there.

Do you think we should continue exactly as we have been playing?

Will the slump disappear?

I think even you must accept that the other teams know how to play against us now as we are predictable?

We have had players ill/injured - but so have every other team.  Other teams have had slumps.

No change required?

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, lost in space said:

Come on SRB - "we are performing as we are 3rd".  Really??  The FACT is we were performing and are third is the truth.

I think even you must accept that the other teams know how to play against us now as we are predictable?

We have had players ill/injured - but so have every other team.  Other teams have had slumps.

No change required?

The league lasts 38 games. 

This thread is a diasaster. 

I'll join the meltdown and agree, 3rd is fantasy. 

We'll never get it. 

We've blown it. 

5 minutes ago, lost in space said:

No change required?

We need to get out of the current slump. Other teams seem to have managed it to varying degrees so it’s not impossible. 

18 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

If we were performing to our paper potential, that gap should or would be vast. In my on paper league table, we would be 2 points ahead in 1st place. 

I’m still, 24 hours later, trying to get my head round the thought that whilst currently sitting 3rd, we actually are not on target for 3rd?

That unfortunately is the level of stupidity these threads have declined into.

3rd but not on target for 3rd?

Let that sink in.

NextGenerationJambo
14 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

A load of shite. 

Well written tho. 

As much as talking shite clearly is your area of expertise, I’m going to have to disagree with you. 

Neilson is not renowned for his exciting, free-flowing football. Quite the opposite. Results are the most important thing in football but recently he has failed to achieve the results that we expect, and when that is the case you look at performance as an indicator of where things are going wrong and how likely they are to turn around. (It looks bloody bleak right now)

There are clearly frailties in defence, the midfield have little to no attacking impetus and our forwards barely move off the ball. We may well have done enough to attain third (so far) but that is a sad indictment for the state of Scottish football. I’m quite frankly baffled as to how you can watch the way we play and think “Oh aye, that Neilson-baw is taking us places! He’ll be joining the upper echelons of footballing genius with Cryuff, Sir Alex and Pep in no time!” 

He absolutely needs to do better. If you don’t think so, then I am afraid you are beyond help and there is nothing I, or anyone else can say to you that will change that. 

• davemclaren changed the title to The 'Battle' for 3rd ( merged )